Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline scissorsnm  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2017 21:50:53(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
I have a 7186 turntable that works fine but not automatically stop at each track. Everything seems to be working properly but when the starting buttons are pushed the motor does not continue to run on to the next stop. I can manually hold the button down and the turntable works fine and advances to the next stop but won't do it automatically unless I keep holding the button down.

Any suggestions as to what i may try to fix the problem.

Thanks
Jim
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2017 23:22:02(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Jim,

Before dismantling the turntable you should check the power-supply: Is there electric current arriving at the bridge? Find the tree contacts at the center of the bridge. When starting you should measure ~16V at the contact in the middle and ~16V at one of the other contacts (depending on the direction). Without pressing the start - knob, you should measure at the left or at the right contact ~16V (direction).

Regards

Markus
Offline scissorsnm  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2017 00:17:36(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Used a digital multi meter and did get 16V on all three contacts individually. What would be next to try. How to dismantle the turntable if that is next.
Offline scissorsnm  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2017 00:35:34(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Sorry markus I was wrong about the reading. Looks like somewhere between 1.4 to 1.6 on the three individually
Offline scissorsnm  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2017 01:20:25(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Again Sorry, not sure what I am doing with this multi meter. Now AC Volts to the center contact ~0.00 directional contacts ~1.5
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2017 03:14:01(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello Jim,
Better give the meter a rest.
First, are you sure you have the control box wired correctly?

$_57.jpg

You describe that the bridge only runs when you push the button.
Normally when you push the button and the bridge is between stall tracks you should be energizing the indexing pin solenoid not the motor.
It sounds like you may have some wires crossed.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline scissorsnm  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2017 03:56:58(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Thanks for the diagram Mikey, I checked it all and I have wired it just like the diagram. I press the button motor starts but when I let up on the button it sops instead on continuing on to index the next track.
Offline analogmike  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2017 04:38:18(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Well then,
Let's go into that box and watch what the contacts are doing the exact moment when you begin to let go of the button.
Look carefully, It may be a very small movement.
Offline scissorsnm  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2017 05:06:00(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
It looks like the contact that goes to the solenoid doesn't hold it in when the button is released. That is the gizmo with the little arm on it that sticks out from the little shed that covers all the workings,motoe etc. Being from New Jersey I'm sure you know what I am saying by saying Gizmo. I'm originally from that area myself.
Offline Markus Schild  
#10 Posted : 16 February 2017 10:07:36(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Jim,

Remove the house. The screws are clearly visible. Try to ride and observe what's happening: The mechanism moves a contact-plate (red ) to a contact (blue) while starting. The contact should keep closed while riding and should be released at the next stop. This contact must be cleaned. That's it in +90% of all cases. Don't try to bend the contact. If the contact is very worn the contact can be adjusted carefully. "Carefully" means that the screw (blue) only should be turned in steps of quarter or half turns.

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline scissorsnm  
#11 Posted : 16 February 2017 18:34:25(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Hi Markus,

Thanks for the picture. I did clean the contacts but made no adjustments.The table still operates the same way. The contact still stays closed and the table turns as long as I hold my finger on the button.
When it gets to the next track and I release the button the contacts open as they should. It seems what ever mechanism that controls keeping the motor running when you lift your finger from the button isn't working.

Jim
Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 16 February 2017 18:45:44(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Jim,

That contact is the mechanism which should keep the motor running. It should stay closed, even if you release the starter knob. What happens with the contact if you release the knob between two rails?

Regards

Markus
Offline scissorsnm  
#13 Posted : 16 February 2017 22:28:06(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   

It does stay closed when releasing the starter knob between the two rails but the motor stops running.
Offline scissorsnm  
#14 Posted : 16 February 2017 23:09:49(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   

I tried holgghtlyding the contact a little tighter with just my fingernail when I let off on the button and the motor kept running. I'm going to slightly adjust it a little tighter as you suggested yesterday.

Thanks Markus
Offline scissorsnm  
#15 Posted : 16 February 2017 23:11:06(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   

Third word in last post should have been Holding. sorry Jim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 16 February 2017 23:34:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: scissorsnm Go to Quoted Post

Third word in last post should have been Holding. sorry Jim

If that doesn't help I would suggest looking at the wipers under the turntable to see if they have enough spring in them to keep contact all the way around. It wouldn't take much for them to lose contact and have the turntable stop.

Offline scissorsnm  
#17 Posted : 17 February 2017 03:43:00(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Markus,Mikey and kiwiAlan

Thanks to all I finally got it working by the closing the gap on the contacts. All seems to be working as it should now.

Great help on the forum.

Jim
Offline analogmike  
#18 Posted : 17 February 2017 04:31:57(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
5980.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline scissorsnm  
#19 Posted : 17 February 2017 04:42:40(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Your my kind of guy Mikey. However I'm too old for the fraulins anymore (84). Only one Loco with smoke capability but haven't tried that yet.

Jim
Offline analogmike  
#20 Posted : 17 February 2017 04:51:29(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Okay Jim,
For the next cartoon I'll try to find some more "Mature" Faulines. Drool Drool Drool

Mikey
Offline Br502362  
#21 Posted : 17 February 2017 08:31:13(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jim,

Remove the house. The screws are clearly visible. Try to ride and observe what's happening: The mechanism moves a contact-plate (red ) to a contact (blue) while starting. The contact should keep closed while riding and should be released at the next stop. This contact must be cleaned. That's it in +90% of all cases. Don't try to bend the contact. If the contact is very worn the contact can be adjusted carefully. "Carefully" means that the screw (blue) only should be turned in steps of quarter or half turns.

Regards

Markus

This solved my turntables problem few years ago ThumpUp

Cheers

Åke

Offline kumarvartak  
#22 Posted : 18 February 2017 11:08:16(UTC)
kumarvartak

Dear All,
I have a Marklin HO 7186, Turn Table which is not functioning as it should.
It does move from one track to the next some times to the correct position but at other times stops in between tracks. This is I think the top plastic plate does not make contact with the bottom plate because it is slightly warped. If I press at a point at the center of the bridge but stops if I let go.
Is there any way to straighten out the warped plate which is I think made of plastic or to increase the pressure on the top plate so that it makes uniform contact with the bottom concentric copper rings. I tried applying conducting grease on the bottom plate but that does not work.
I purchased this on e bay, but it came to India only after it was carried by a friend after four months.
Please suggest a solution.

Markus Schild has sent me several service leaflets for MArkin HO Locomotives, and had requested me to forward them to another member.
I have saved them on the computer but do not know how to attach them , some one please help.
Thanks.
Kumar Vartak,
India
Offline Markus Schild  
#23 Posted : 18 February 2017 12:17:40(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Kumar,

I think we are talking about a worn part #40116:

UserPostedImage

I would suggest to place some small balls of solder- tin (~1mm) on the contacts. This will increase the pressure.

Regards

Markus
Offline kumarvartak  
#24 Posted : 18 February 2017 15:20:51(UTC)
kumarvartak

Hello Markus.
Thanks firstly for the very prompt reply.
Do you mean put the lead balls weight at the tip of the circle I mean where it meets the rails. Actually when you press at a point on the center of the bridge the turntable resumes its movement, or if a very heavy locomotive is placed on the turntable it moves much better. It is not possible to put weights near the center of the bridge as the locomotive occupies that space.
Please confirm at what place the weights are to be placed on the turntable.
A friend who is acquainted with Marklin and is technically experienced feels that as the turntable is not making contact with the concentric copper rings at the base as the upper plate is warped or bent. It is I think made of plastic.
I will try to put the weights at the inside edge along the circumference of the turntable once I hear from you.
Thanks and regards,
Kumar Vartak India
Offline Markus Schild  
#25 Posted : 18 February 2017 15:48:14(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Kumar,

To illustrate what I mean (bad photoshop):

UserPostedImage

Just solder small balls of solder-tin on the contacts. This will bring you one or two millimetres of distance and improve the contact.

Regards

Markus