Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjlauritsen  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2017 17:06:05(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hi friends

When I was a kid my first catalogue was the 1984 catalogue. In there was a few pictures of a multi level layout depicting some sort of abstract reality. The layout appealed to me then and it still do. I like the way the focus are on the trains all though I find the layout a bit crowded.

I am considering creating a layout inspired by the one from the catalogue. The layout I am considering is also inspired by the sort of layouts that you will find in train dispatcher training facilities, where the focus is on realistic operation, signalling and the trains themselves. I think the layout from the catalogue has a style that would be perfect for this sort of thing.

The 1984 layout still seems to catch people's eyes and I have found other layouts on the Internet inspired by this particular layout. I am amazed that people still remember it after so many years.

I of course still have the catalogue and the information about the layout, but I have been told that the layout was on display at the Märklin Museum at some point. I was wondering if anybody had more pictures of the layout than the ones from the catalogue?
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2017 17:49:29(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Oh, and by the way: It looks like there are more layouts than just the one from the catalogue. In the beginning of the catalogue there is a picture of a similar layout built with a combination of K- and M-track. The layout cannot be the one from later in the catalogue because the track plan is different and the latter is M-track only.
Søren from Denmark
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2017 22:47:46(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Unfortunately do not have that catalog but is it featured in this link: https://www.google.com.au/search...CRmzGgQGr6OfEZAak2HBZnuW
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline DV  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2017 02:45:32(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Or you can download it from this site Lista de Correo de Trenes Märklin El ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2017 03:53:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
This layout has been discussed a few times in previous forum threads. Forum member Thomas Huttel has built it.

See:

https://www.marklin-user...truction-time-again.aspx

https://www.marklin-user...19496-Three-level-layout

https://www.marklin-user...-84-85-Marklin-catalogue
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2017 06:00:39(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
This is one of my favourites:

Nice laypout idea - Feb 13, 2017.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2017 12:05:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yeah I love those"old world" Marklin layouts. There's always too much track in a small space and sidings and platforms are too short when they are there at all, but that's part of their charm.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sjlauritsen  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2017 16:34:06(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
There's always too much track in a small space and sidings and platforms are too short when they are there at all, but that's part of their charm.

I agree. I like some of the old Primex layouts as well.

IMO a layout do not have to be ultra realistic. I like realistic operation, but realistic operation can also be done on a small layout. The key is for the layout to have features that allow for realistic operation. Most layouts have a station, a goods shed and similar areas. Basically that is all that is needed. Realistic operation can even be done with older Märklin rolling stock, it does not matter, it is still a model of the prototype.

With regards to the 1984 layout the only pictures available seem to be the ones from the catalogue that I already have. Those were the days without digital shooters.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Papy1104  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2017 17:17:27(UTC)
Papy1104

France   
For those who would like to build a M track layout replicating the one in the 1984 catalogue: a detailed track plan with the list of necessary components and electrical connections, is included in the booklet of Marklin track plans that was issued many times in these decades.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Papy1104
Offline MaerklinLife  
#10 Posted : 11 March 2017 04:25:19(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Interesting. What is the name of that book?
Offline Vintage  
#11 Posted : 17 April 2021 14:30:25(UTC)
Vintage

Spain   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
Hi friends

When I was a kid my first catalogue was the 1984 catalogue. In there was a few pictures of a multi level layout depicting some sort of abstract reality. The layout appealed to me then and it still do. I like the way the focus are on the trains all though I find the layout a bit crowded.

I am considering creating a layout inspired by the one from the catalogue. The layout I am considering is also inspired by the sort of layouts that you will find in train dispatcher training facilities, where the focus is on realistic operation, signalling and the trains themselves. I think the layout from the catalogue has a style that would be perfect for this sort of thing.

The 1984 layout still seems to catch people's eyes and I have found other layouts on the Internet inspired by this particular layout. I am amazed that people still remember it after so many years.

I of course still have the catalogue and the information about the layout, but I have been told that the layout was on display at the Märklin Museum at some point. I was wondering if anybody had more pictures of the layout than the ones from the catalogue?

Hi all!,

I am designing/copying this 1984 layout and have the same question:

Are there any other pictures of this layout?

I was wondering if there was maybe a topic on this layout in the Marklin Magazine of 1984 or 1985?
Could anyone who has still these magazines have a look?

I found an additional image on page 206 in the 1985 catalogue.

Regards,
Vintage

1984 Layout image in 1985 catalogue.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Vintage
Offline fbaube  
#12 Posted : 18 April 2021 19:57:36(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
This looks GREAT! Where could I find out more about it ?

Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 18 April 2021 21:33:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I believe the layout you want is layout number 10 (see post #7 above)
Cat Marklin Gleisplane 0330 (1957).pdf (17,517kb) downloaded 119 time(s).
Let me know if you mean another one
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline JohnjeanB  
#14 Posted : 18 April 2021 21:59:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi regarding the picture posted by Vintage, I have checked in the following brochure without finding it:
  • Gleispläne 700 (1989)

• Gleispläne 0390 (1975)

• Gleispläne 351 (1972)

• Gleispläne 330 (1957)

Sadly I don't have the Märklin Magazin of that period. Sorry
Je suis bredouille (I'm empty-handed)
If anyone is interested in the above brochures I have them but cannot put them on the forum because of size.
Jean
Offline fbaube  
#15 Posted : 19 April 2021 10:32:18(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
That's the one! Thanks!

Altho it is an M-track layout, and I will want to do it in C-track. Hmm. Could be challenging!

fred

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I believe the layout you want is layout number 10 (see post #7 above)
Cat Marklin Gleisplane 0330 (1957).pdf (17,517kb) downloaded 119 time(s).
Let me know if you mean another one
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fbaube
Offline marklinist5999  
#16 Posted : 19 April 2021 15:38:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, it could be a challenge with C track. The M track program had more small transition pieces. Cutting and splicing C track is a definate chore.
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 19 April 2021 15:59:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it could be a challenge with C track. The M track program had more small transition pieces.
It works quite well with C track and the various tracks that it offers. You can replace an 172 by an 188 or by two 077 to fill small gaps - for longer tracks there are many combinations to add or a take a few millimetre. Easier than cutting C track.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#18 Posted : 19 April 2021 18:55:05(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Dear Vintage,

About the abstract 1984/85 layout:

I reckon you found the C track plan linked by BigdaddyNZ earlier in above thread?
Link: https://www.marklin-user...-84-85-Marklin-catalogue

And I guess you found the bonus photo on the website of MU member Huttel?
Link: http://huttel.dk/marklin/
Offline Vintage  
#19 Posted : 19 April 2021 22:37:23(UTC)
Vintage

Spain   
Hello Alsterstreek,

To answer your questions:
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

I reckon you found the C track plan linked by BigdaddyNZ earlier in above thread?

Yes, I did found the C-track there but .....
I have been studying the M-track plan in the 1984/1985 catalogue by overlaying the three levels. And carefully studying the Marklin photo's.
The tracks above each other in the BigdaddyNZ C-track plan are not exactly at the same position as shown in the Marklin photo's.
I am working on a new C-track plan as close as possible, but it might be that it is indeed not possible to have the tracks above each other in the desired position.
To be continued .....

And I guess you found the bonus photo on the website of MU member Huttel?
Link: http://huttel.dk/marklin/

No, I found it by browsing the 1985 catalogue.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Vintage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 20 April 2021 00:51:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Vintage Go to Quoted Post
Hello Alsterstreek,

To answer your questions:

Yes, I did found the C-track there but .....
I have been studying the M-track plan in the 1984/1985 catalogue by overlaying the three levels. And carefully studying the Marklin photo's.
The tracks above each other in the BigdaddyNZ C-track plan are not exactly at the same position as shown in the Marklin photo's.
I am working on a new C-track plan as close as possible, but it might be that it is indeed not possible to have the tracks above each other in the desired position.
To be continued .....

You will find that you cannot do an exact conversion of an M-track plan to C-Track because the point geometries are different and the straight tracks are different lengths.

so the track plan that you talk about above is likely to be as good as you get without doing a lot of cutting and hacking of track.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 20 April 2021 10:59:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
And, seeing as you would be building the layout from scratch anyway, why not lay it out in C-track from the start, and go for the 'spirit' of the layout, as closely as possible, rather than trying to match each piece-by-piece section?

That way you will have a layout designed FOR C-Track, but 'inspired' by the original. There is nothing wrong with that in IMHO. Best of both worlds.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline fbaube  
#22 Posted : 20 April 2021 11:55:39(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
And, seeing as you would be building the layout from scratch anyway, why not lay it out in C-track from the start, and go for the 'spirit' of the layout, as closely as possible, rather than trying to match each piece-by-piece section?

That way you will have a layout designed FOR C-Track, but 'inspired' by the original. There is nothing wrong with that in IMHO. Best of both worlds.

I like the idea :) But I'm new to M track AND C track, so I have no idea (beyond ovals) about how the geometries actually work in practice. Obviously I want to hit on a plan before I start buying more track, so I guess I should play around in SCARM.

cheers,
fred
Offline rbw993  
#23 Posted : 20 April 2021 14:00:03(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Fred.
You can duplicate the length of almost any longer straight section of track using this tool: https://www.marklin-user.../downloads/CLengths.pdf. Dale Shulz also has a C-track calculatior on his website: http://layoutimages.mixmox.com/. There are no standard R1 turnouts in C-track but the curved ones should match very closely. Using the R2 turnouts, 24711 and 24712, and all their short curved pieces for R1 and R2; 24107, 24207 and 24206 will help approximate what was done with M-track. Scarm is good, I use it, but there is no substitute for just getting enough samples of the track you intend to use to learn how they actually go together. C-track is more flexible in design than what Scarm allows for.

Take a look at the C-track Topic on this forum and you'll see lots of examples of what can be done.

Good luck on your project,
Roger
Offline JohnjeanB  
#24 Posted : 20 April 2021 16:20:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Additional to all the info already given on lengths for C track, I need to add it is C track can be easily cut to a special length (of course this goes also for curve track of any radius or even switches.
Tools needed:
  • hand drill (Dremel, Proxxon)

• Märklin C track rail joiners 74994 or code 80 rail joiners

Procedure:
  • measure exactly what you need (length radius

• cut the rail using a corindon or diamond cutting disk mounted on a hand drill

• use if desired rail joiners

• glue the 2 parts of the rail and wire both sides of center studs and of rails

You end up with the exact track section you need (good length, appropriate curve) ending with the C track standard rail joint
Here is an example on how to modify a track piece (a 3 way switch) to get a more elegant / prototypical track layout
24630-before.jpg
24630-IMG_4428.JPG
24630-IMG_4429.JPG
24630 After.jpg
Cheers
Jean
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB