Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#51 Posted : 11 January 2017 00:41:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I'll add some more bits interspersed with pieces of Carstens advice

Originally Posted by: cramcke Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone,

I thought I would share my Treff experiences and offer some trip suggestions. It turns out I will not likely attend, as my wife and I bought a house last year and will be making some [expensive] upgrades before we move in over the next several months. However I thought I would share a few suggestions.

We'll let you off with that, but sorry we are not likely to be seeing you again this year.

Hotels: Goeppingen does not have enough hotel space for everyone attending the Treff. Although you may find a room or two still available, I bet most of the hotels are already booked solid. Not to worry- Goeppingen is only a thirty-minute train ride from Stuttgart, and Stuttgart has several hotels very close to the train station. If you are traveling with a spouse or 'non-Marklinist', Stuttgart's main shopping street is very close to the train station, so the Intercity Hotel or other hotel in that area would provide activities for you both.

I have stayed in the suburbs on the south side of Stuttgart a couple of times so we could self cater. I drove down to Goeppingen, a similar travel time as it is autobahn the whole way. My memories of doing it was the traffic was very light the whole way.

Again if you have a car then look for accommodation in Eislingen, which is 5-10 minutes to the east of Goppingen by road. We stayed in a hotel here in 2010 with friends to go to the Tag dur Offener, and were very happy with the arrangement. I haven't investigated train travel from here to Goppingen, but depending on where you stay it is probably possible.

If you have a choice between driving to the Treff or taking the train I would highly recommend taking the train. Parking in town is difficult, and although there are parking lots set up for the event expect to have to walk some. And forget about driving from venue to venue, the complimentary buses are the way to go. Yes, there are several venues scattered around Goeppingen that host the event- it's not all in the same location like the Modellbahnmesse in Cologne or Intermodellbau.

If driving the only thing to do is park the car at the Stadium. All the road signs will direct you there, and if you get there early enough it is not too far to walk. Otherwise you'll be directed to a grassy area down the side of the stadium which takes several minutes walk to get to the entrance. Then use the busses to go around the venues.

I can also recommend the Railcar to get between the Goppingen station and the Leonid Weiss plant, which is well worth going to. They typically have a small loco and old coach parked over the inspection pit and you can go down in the pit and see the underside of them - an opportunity that doesn't often occur. There will also be a selection of the Leonid Weiss track maintenance rolling stock around that you can look at, some of which has been modeled by Marklin at various times including their Kof.

In 2017 for the first time (that I am aware of anyway) they had another large community hall (seperate from the hall at the stadium) dedicated to LGB. I only discovered it as I went around on the bus.

If they do factory tours again (these are very limited in numbers, not like the Tag dur Offener) you get on a different bus which leaves from somewhere around the back of the stadium. You were supposed to have tickets that had been issued to an Insider/Proficlub/LGB Club member to go on this tour, but I don't recall the tickets ever being checked. While you only see the same as at the Tag dur Offener you do get to purchase this years factory visit wagon which is only available at the factory. If you do have a club membership don't forget to bring it with you to get the entry discount and membership item on the club stand.

Offline Tom Jessop  
#52 Posted : 11 January 2017 06:45:51(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Not 2017 but 2015 was the first time that the EWS arena was used for LGB & a few other displays . My FD & myself spent a few hours in this display area as we had a camper home /RV for our European holiday . Bus stop is on Nordliche Ringstrasser for departures around the city. Plenty of long term parking with fresh water & dump facilities in the car park . We camped there for 4 nights & used the bus service to get around. There is also a indoor heated swim pool on the opposite corner which helped to ease the worn out body each day . I have also stayed at Bad Cannstatt in a hotel close to the Bahnhoff , about 35 minute train journey for memory .

The Fd has already made bookings for a cruise this year but as it is in May /June this will rule me out making expensive purchases for the next couple of years .

Have fun & don't empty the wallet too much because Eurospoor is on 3 to 5 November where I feel there is more stuff on offer than at the Tage .

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline cramcke  
#53 Posted : 11 January 2017 16:01:53(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Actually Goeppingen is an amazing location to stand and watch trains go by. It's on the main railway line out of Stuttgart headed towards Ulm and Munich, and there is a ton of freight and passenger traffic, including international trains and ICEs. For the Treff there are special speed restrictions due to the number of people on the platform, but outside the Treff it's a nifty spot to spend a day watching trains go by...

...But I digress. Although there is a schedule for when the steam locomotives arrive it may or may not come to pass per the plan. There are 'insiders' who will have this information and will post it on-line. It's also possible that the 'Ulmer Eisenbahnfreunde' will publish their schedule on their website- they tend to bring most of the rolling stock. Finally, in the past Marklin has published a schedule of the special Treff excursion trains that arrive and depart on Saturday and Sunday from various parts of Germany on their website. By early summer those will begin to appear and I will try and track them down and publish them here.

Here is a tip for my fellow photographers and videographers: If you follow the railway line back towards Stuttgart, which is to the right when facing Goeppingen station from the street, you'll walk under the roadway overpass and shortly thereafter will come to a pedestrian bridge over the railway line coming from Stuttgart. This is a good place to watch/film/take pictures.

- Carsten
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cramcke
Offline TEEWolf  
#54 Posted : 12 January 2017 04:39:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hey everyone,

Not to worry- Goeppingen is only a thirty-minute train ride from Stuttgart, and Stuttgart has several hotels very close to the train station. If you are traveling with a spouse or 'non-Marklinist', Stuttgart's main shopping street is very close to the train station, so the Intercity Hotel or other hotel in that area would provide activities for you both.

The Interregio Express trains make two stops between Stuttgart main station and Goeppingen in the towns of Esslingen and Plochingen. Both of these towns have hotels within walking distance of the train station.

- Carsten

The recommendations are good. Nevertheless be careful with Stuttgart. The central station down town Stuttgart is under a complete new construction for the next years. The station will be twisted by 90° and rebuilt underground. Yes, the complete new central station is build down into the earth. So you have massive constructions with the corresponding problems of a huge construction area there. The recommendations to look for hotels between Stuttgart and Goeppingen would be a much better idea.
Offline IanC  
#55 Posted : 12 January 2017 16:26:41(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Well I shall fortunately have a floor to sleep on in nearby Reutlingen but would thoroughly recommend the Albquell Brauhaus in Trochtelfingen if you have access to a car. About 45 mins from Goppingen. Parking at the Staufenpark enables you to keep popping back to your cars to unload your bags or grab your lunch! Regarding the shuttle buses, they only flow in one direction so going back to see something again involves riding the whole circuit so try to do it all systematically stop by stop, there are about 5 main focal points.
Metzingen, change at Plochingen, direction Reutlingen / Tubingen out of Stuttgart, is a fashion shopping factory outlet store mecca so might keep the other half engaged and distracted while you play trains. Anyone going from the UK will probably end up going through Aachen, near the B and NL borders on the route to and from the Channel ferry ports, where I would recommend the Hunerbein shop opposite the rathaus on the market for probably the largest and most helpful model railway emporium in Germany. I'm a very satisfied customer of many years standing.

Ian C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline cramcke  
#56 Posted : 20 January 2017 21:17:24(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Although not directly related to the Treff, if you do have access to a car you may want to spend an hour or two at the large freight yard at Kornwestheim. There is a bridge that crosses over the throat of the yard (Villeneuvestrasse- I remember that name as an F1 fan) which also provides a nice view of the rolling stock a local train preservation club maintains. There is a convenient place to park near the bridge, too, and it's a fairly safe area.

Another favorite location of mine is the train station at Obertürkheim. There is a small restaurant in the station with tasty dishes and convenient views of passing trains, and there are plenty of trains, too, since the line through the station is the same one that runs to Goeppingen. They are moving at a decent clip, too, which makes railfanning on the platform fun.

- Carsten
Offline camcath  
#57 Posted : 13 February 2017 11:52:09(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Hi

My teenage son and I are going to travel from Melbourne to Marklin Tage this year, we are booked to arrive into Frankfurt at 6am on the Saturday of the Treff. We will then travel straight to Stuttgart and check in at the Intercity Hotel. My query is whether we should then travel on to Goeppingen (we'd most likely arrive around 11am) or spend the day seeing Stuttgart and devoting Sunday to the Treff. Does anyone have any views ie will we miss out on anything much if we leave the Treff until Sunday?

Thanks

Cameron
Offline IanC  
#58 Posted : 13 February 2017 13:30:16(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
You'll need two days at least to do it justice! If you can't make the Friday, when it is quieter and the stalls fully stocked, get cracking early on Saturday. Sunday is leaving things a bit late but good for hanging around the station. If you're arriving at Goppingen Station on the Saturday make your first stop the Marklin Museum aka Erliebnis Welt, then the Staufen Park where the main event is based. You might not get any further. If you can manage to get tickets for the factory tour, the departure point again is Staufen Park. As I said in a previous email, the shuttle buses only flow in one direction and the advice above follows that flow. The other venues you could do on the Sunday, it'll be more interesting than Stuttgart which lacks the charm of many German cities, having been considerably rebuilt after WW2. If you do have time, I'd recommend the Mercedes and the Porche museums. S also has several good micro-breweries where you can also get decent meals. There are four within crawling distance of the Hbf (haupt bahnhof), which is currently a building site.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline hennabm  
#59 Posted : 13 February 2017 17:53:02(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi

I agree with Ian.
One day will NOT be enough to do the whole show justice.

I went for the first time to the last one and I was there for the whole event. Even then I did not get to see it all. I did manage a couple of train rides including the run up the hill.BigGrin

There is so much to see and do and when you include enough time for the great bier and bratwursts then one day will be far too little time.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline camcath  
#60 Posted : 14 February 2017 11:09:31(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Thanks for your replies. So we will spend both Saturday and Sunday in Goppingen.

Regards

Cameron
Offline cramcke  
#61 Posted : 14 February 2017 15:24:44(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Cameron,

Two days are required, as others have stated.

There are lockers at the train station in Goeppingen, though they tend to fill up quickly on Treff days. Stuttgart should have lockers for your luggage, too, though with the station all torn up I'm not sure what they have available. If you are in a hurry to get to Goeppingen (and you should be :)) then that may be a better solution, as the Intercity Hotel may not have rooms ready for you yet.

Agree with others that have said Stuttgart isn't the best city for sightseeing- it lacks the charm of Germany. Try an evening stroll through Esslingen and a tasty Schnitzel at Gambrinus instead...

- Carsten
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cramcke
Offline ixldoc  
#62 Posted : 15 February 2017 04:08:24(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Just a taste of the action at Goppingen station 2015.
My friend and I got out of the train from Stuttgart and saw this.
We looked at each other and said "It's a giant Marklin model"!
We thought of everything we saw as scaled up Marklin models instead of the other way around.Laugh

Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#63 Posted : 16 February 2017 07:52:04(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I just confirmed a place to sleep in Esslingen so I'm going this September.

I do have a question, maybe it is obvious to others.

I want to do some Marklin shopping, hopefully on the day my wife is sightseeing in Esslingen. Which one of the five venues has vendors to sell stuffs?

If I can't find what I want, where are the Marklin shops in Goppingen and Esslingen? I won't have a car so closer to the train station is a plus.
Offline mrmarklin  
#64 Posted : 16 February 2017 16:30:09(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
I just confirmed a place to sleep in Esslingen so I'm going this September.

I do have a question, maybe it is obvious to others.

I want to do some Marklin shopping, hopefully on the day my wife is sightseeing in Esslingen. Which one of the five venues has vendors to sell stuffs?

If I can't find what I want, where are the Marklin shops in Goppingen and Esslingen? I won't have a car so closer to the train station is a plus.

The Märklin museum has a well stocked shop attached. Two actually. One is the Fundgrube with seconds and over stock items. In addition there is a hobby shop in Goeppingen not too far from the train station.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline IanC  
#65 Posted : 16 February 2017 17:28:04(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Your wife should head for the designer outlet mecca that is Metzingen, change at Plochingen for direction Reutlingen / Tubingen, while you should be OK in Goppingen. Lots of second-hand stuff in the marquees at Staufen Park. New Marklin from the shop and 'factory shop' (?) at the Marklin Museum. There are also some special offers in a tent around the back too and a facility to mail it all back home. Otherwise, try and get to ETS (Schweickhardts) at Waiblingen- Bernstein. http://www.modelleisenbahn.com/
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#66 Posted : 17 February 2017 03:56:51(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Thank you mrmarklin and Ian.

Are the price at the Marklin Museum shop the suggested retail price? I find most dealers give a discounted price on the suggested retail price. Just try to stretch my dollars.

What is the name of the Marklin shop in Goppingen?

Thank you.
Offline mrmarklin  
#67 Posted : 17 February 2017 06:28:01(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

Are the price at the Marklin Museum shop the suggested retail price? I find most dealers give a discounted price on the suggested retail price. Just try to stretch my dollars.

Thank you.

The Museum shop is MSRP. The Fundgrube is discounted.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline IanC  
#68 Posted : 17 February 2017 10:59:40(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
There's a useful dealer locator function on the main Marklin portal. There are two Ma dealers in Goppingen in addition to the one at the Ma Museum and there's one in Esslingen too. Turns out Esslingen is further up the track towards Stuttgart that I remembered i.e. beyond Plochingen, so your wife won't need to change for Metzingen and the designer outlets experience, just hop on the train in the direction Reutlingen / Tubingen for around 20 minutes.
Offline TEEWolf  
#69 Posted : 17 February 2017 18:00:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thank you.

If you really want to stretch your Dollars (generally recommendable) then go to the shops, have a look around, note the article # and order it back home via internet, for example here:
http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/index.asp?l=gb
or here
https://estore-sslserver...-2a715f08b03b/Categories

It has the advantage beside a "regular" discount of 10%, they offer you a refund for the German VAT. From gross price you always get 15,97% back. (VAT in Germany from the net price is 19%). Honestly I have to confess, if you buy some goods in Germany (no matter if it is a new loco or new shoes), which you want to export, ask the dealer for a VAT form getting the VAT back, while you are leaving Germany. But what I do not know, what custom or VAT you have to pay for your purchases as an import to your country.

What I know by myself, at the duty free shops in Frankfurt Airport, you have to leave your address, sign the VAT refund form and the shop dealer is doing all the paper work for you. He only charges you the net price without VAT.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#70 Posted : 22 February 2017 07:57:37(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I found the following Marklin shops in Goppingen from Marklin's website. Has anyone gone there and are they still in business? I find Marklin's store locator is not up-to-date.

Korb - Rau Inh. Hermann Rau
Poststr. 50
73033 Göppingen (DE)
Tel: 07161-979405
Fax: 07161-23284
Email: korb-rau.goeppingen@vedes.de
www.korb-rau.vedes.de

Müller Drogeriemarkt
Schulstr. 9
73033 Göppingen (DE)

Märklin Spielwaren Vertriebs-GmbH Store
Reutlinger Str. 2
73037 Göppingen (DE)

Elser Spielwaren GmbH
Geislingerstr. 24
73033 Göppingen (DE)

Offline DamonKelly  
#71 Posted : 22 February 2017 10:15:40(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
I found the following Marklin shops in Goppingen from Marklin's website. Has anyone gone there and are they still in business? I find Marklin's store locator is not up-to-date.

Korb - Rau Inh. Hermann Rau
Poststr. 50
73033 Göppingen (DE)
Tel: 07161-979405
Fax: 07161-23284
Email: korb-rau.goeppingen@vedes.de
www.korb-rau.vedes.de

Müller Drogeriemarkt
Schulstr. 9
73033 Göppingen (DE)

Reutlinger Str. 2
73037 Göppingen (DE)

Elser Spielwaren GmbH
Geislingerstr. 24
73033 Göppingen (DE)

Korb - Rau and Elser Spielwaren were in business in January 2014
Cheers,
Damon
Offline sidblack  
#72 Posted : 19 March 2017 23:16:45(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hey everyone,

Hotels: Goeppingen does not have enough hotel space for everyone attending the Treff. Although you may find a room or two still available, I bet most of the hotels are already booked solid. Not to worry- Goeppingen is only a thirty-minute train ride from Stuttgart, and Stuttgart has several hotels very close to the train station. If you are traveling with a spouse or 'non-Marklinist', Stuttgart's main shopping street is very close to the train station, so the Intercity Hotel or other hotel in that area would provide activities for you both.

- Carsten

Hi everyone,
I'm now coming to the Treff this year with my FD. Weve booked the Hotel Am Schelztor in Esslingen as recommended by Carsten. Many thanks for the detailed suggestions Carsten! As a tradeoff with my FD for spending 3 days at the Treff we're spending a couple of weeks in Paris beforehand. It's a real sacrifice but it has to be done. Cool
After the Treff, a trip to Oktoberfest and then the Bernina Express to Italy.
We'd love to catch up with other members of the forum in Göppingen. We'll be attending Friday night through to Sunday. Being from Canberra we don't get to meet other Marklinistas very often.
Cheers
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline IanC  
#73 Posted : 20 March 2017 14:05:32(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
I think it would be good if we could establish a "Stammtisch" for the event where we could all meet and congregate. Probably at the Staufen Park which seems to be the centre of events. Gather under a large Union Jack? (Could be dangerous but can't think of a more appropriate symbol, other suggestions welcome!) Perhaps someone with contacts and influence could also coordinate some English speaking factory tours too?

Anyone in the area on the previous weekend should head for the modelleisenbahn borse (model railway exchange / market) at the SVG Railway Museum at Horb on the Saturday 9th September.
Offline cramcke  
#74 Posted : 20 March 2017 14:44:40(UTC)
cramcke

United States   

Thank you.

+++++

All,

If you are interested in shopping on Treff weekend I would strongly suggest making a trip to Eisenbahn Treffpunkt Schweickhardt in Waiblingen-Beinstein which is near Stuttgart. Uli Schweickhardt usually has a big garden railway festival at his shop that weekend, and if you have never been there, the shop is one of the largest (if not THE largest) in Germany, with a huge selection of model trains and accessories in all scales, including consignment and used items. As a bonus, you can leave your purchases there and have ETS ship your items home for you (he does a lot of mail order) and they will deduct the VAT for you at checkout. You can take the S-bahn to Waiblingen and a taxi (or decent walk) to the shop. Prices aren't quite as cheap as Lokshop, but still heavily discounted off Marklin's list prices and the convenience can't be beat!

- Carsten
Offline sidblack  
#75 Posted : 26 March 2017 06:52:04(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
I think it would be good if we could establish a "Stammtisch" for the event where we could all meet and congregate. Probably at the Staufen Park which seems to be the centre of events. Gather under a large Union Jack? (Could be dangerous but can't think of a more appropriate symbol, other suggestions welcome!) Perhaps someone with contacts and influence could also coordinate some English speaking factory tours too?

Thanks Ian, that sounds like a good plan. The Union Jack will certainly attract attention I would think!
John
Offline cramcke  
#76 Posted : 26 April 2017 16:00:45(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
All,

It has been just over a year since we took our 'bucket list' train trip to Germany and Switzerland. As part of the planning process I created a table of train travel times from the major attractions that we were considering for the trip. I came across that table this morning and thought I would share it for anyone who is curious about connecting times from some of the other railroad-related attractions and major German cities. The formatting using cut & paste is messed up, but if you can't figure out a way to clean it up send me a pm and I'll shoot it over to you in Excel as an attachment.

City Why Visit Zwickau Cologne Berlin Hamburg Goeppingen Nuernberg Dresden Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg Munich Frankfurt Airport Amsterdam Airport Dortmund Stuttgart Basel
Zwickau Steam train festival April 21-24 6 hours 3 hours 5 hours 6.5 hours 3 hours 1.5 hours 2 hours 5 hours 5 hours 10 hours 6 hours 5.5 hours 8 hours
Cologne Cathederal, train shopping, Rhine cruise 6 hours 4.5 hours 4 hours 4 hours 5.5 hours 7 hours 5 hours 4.5 hours 1 hour 3 hours 1.5 hours 2.5 hours 4 hours
Berlin Loxx, train shopping, Ku-Damm, Berlin Wall 3 hours 4.5 hours 2 hours 6.5 hours 5 hours 2.5 hours 5 hours 6.5 hours 5 hours 6.5 hours 3.5 hours 6 hours 7 hours
Hamburg MiWuLa, Maschen, Reperbahn 5 hours 4 hours 2 hours 6 hours 5 hours 4.5 hours 6.5 hours 6 hours 4 hours 6 hours 3 hours 5.5 hours 7 hours
Goeppingen Marklin Museum, train shopping, Geislinger Steige 6.5 hours 4 hours 6.5 hours 6 hours 3 hours 8 hours 4.5 hours 2 hours 2 hours 8 hours 4.5 hours 0.5 hours 4 hours
Nuremberg DB Museum, train shopping, sausages 3 hours 5.5 hours 5 hours 5 hours 3 hours 5 hours 2 hours 1 hour 3 hours 7 hours 5 hours 2.5 hours 5 hours
Dresden Steam locomotive festival April 17-19 1.5 hours 7 hours 2.5 hours 4.5 hours 8 hours 5 hours 3.5 hours 6.5 hours 5.5 hours 9 hours 6 hours 7 hours 8.5 hours
Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg German Steam Locomotive Museum 2 hours 5 hours 5 hours 6.5 hours 4.5 hours 2 hours 3.5 hours 3 hours 4 hours 9 hours 6 hours 4.5 hours 6 hours
Munich Beer, train shopping, Deutsches Museum 5 hours 4.5 hours 6.5 hours 6 hours 2 hours 1 hour 6.5 hours 3 hours 4 hours 9 hours 6 hours 2 hours 5 hours
Frankfurt Airport Arrival/departure, train shopping 5 hours 1 hour 5 hours 4 hours 2 hours 3 hours 5.5 hours 4 hours 4 hours 5 hours 2.5 hours 1.5 hours 3 hours
Amsterdam Airport Arrival/departure, good french fries 10 hours 3 hours 6.5 hours 6 hours 8 hours 7 hours 9 hours 9 hours 9 hours 5 hours 4.5 hours 6.5 hours 7 hours
Dortmund Intermodellbau April 20-24 6 hours 1.5 hours 3.5 hours 3 hours 4.5 hours 5 hours 6 hours 6 hours 6 hours 2.5 hours 4.5 hours 4 hours 5 hours
Stuttgart train shopping (ETS) 5.5 hours 2.5 hours 6 hours 5.5 hours 0.5 hours 2.5 hours 7 hours 4.5 hours 2 hours 1.5 hours 6.5 hours 4 hours 2.5 hours
Basel Gateway to Wassen 8 hours 4 hours 7 hours 7 hours 4 hours 5 hours 8.5 hours 6 hours 5 hours 3 hours 7 hours 5 hours 2.5 hours
Offline cramcke  
#77 Posted : 26 April 2017 18:31:34(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Maybe this is easier...

Offline franciscohg  
#78 Posted : 27 April 2017 23:59:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, we can make a list of attendant members, today i bought my airplane tickets and made the hotel reservations, so, i will be there!!!!
As for the shopping, if you are from outside the EU i think that internet orders are the best for the VAT discount. I have bought some small souvenir like things in Germany, if you want to refund the VAT at the airport, i have always seen very long queues, so take that time in consideration when arriving at the airport
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline cramcke  
#79 Posted : 08 June 2017 15:01:47(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
For those of you who are attending the Treff, here is another event to consider:

http://www.romantic-germ...re-tips/rhine-in-flames/

Rhine in Flames is an annual event that takes place throughout the summer and features fireworks displays over the Rhine. The finale, I believe, is at St. Goar / St. Goarshausen on the 16th. There is even an excursion train to-and-from the event if you are staying in Stuttgart:

http://www.bahn-und-reis...ahrt/nachtderloreley.php

Just something to consider as you plan out your train-tastic trip to the Treff!

- Carsten
Offline IanC  
#80 Posted : 08 June 2017 18:49:50(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Last year I caught this on the way home having driven up from the borse at Horb earlier in the day (see 20th March entry above). There was no Marklin treff last year. This year the Rhein in Flames seems to be a week later and coincides with the Saturday of the Marklin treff.
The borse is on the previous Saturday the 9th. My main comment is that the Rhein in Flames doesn't start until after dark and goes on for a bit so I expect you won't get back to Stuttgart until the early hours and this might impact adversely on your Sunday at the Marklin treff.
Offline sidblack  
#81 Posted : 22 June 2017 08:04:19(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi Folks,
Not having been to Marklin Tage before I was thinking that it started on Saturday with some of the trains arriving Friday night which would make for some good train spotting. But now I see it advertised Friday, Saturday 9 - 18:00 and Sunday 9 - 17:00.
So would Friday be the best day to go i.e. avoid the crowds on Saturday?
I would still go Sunday. We're staying in Esslingen from Thursday through to Monday morning.
Taking the Saturday afternoon off could allow for the Rein in Flames tour mentioned by Carsten.
But my main question is whether Friday is a good day to visit the Treff?
Cheers
John

Offline IanC  
#82 Posted : 22 June 2017 11:39:35(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Sid, and all,

It's a full-on three day event spread over six venues with connecting shuttle buses which only run in a circuit one way. If this is the ladder, the only snake is the vintage railbus between the station and the Leonhardt Weiss works. Friday is an excellent day to try to beat the crowds (but the crowds are wising-up to this!). I'd suggest you do the Marklin Museum / Erlebniswelt and the main Staufen Park venues on the Friday if you can and the rest and any return visits on the Saturday. Sunday is 'sold-out' day and exhibitors are flagging and closing down by the afternoon but it's a great day for hanging around the station watching the full scale versions arrive and depart.
There should be a 'flyer' out for this soon.

Looks like the Rhein in Flames starts at 9 p.m. on the Saturday and probably finishes around midnight then there's a fairly long journey back to Stuttgart, about 3-4 hours?

Quarts into pint pots?

Ian C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#83 Posted : 22 June 2017 12:55:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post

There should be a 'flyer' out for this soon.

I posted a link to the English version of the flyer about a month ago. I thought it was in this thread, but it must be in another thread as I can't see it looking back through the messages.

Right, found the relevant information here (click).
Offline cramcke  
#84 Posted : 22 June 2017 14:09:57(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been to the Treff since it went from two to three days (a situation I hope to remedy in two years). Not sure what Friday looks like, but in terms of crowds I have always felt that Sunday, especially Sunday morning, was the emptier of the days / times.

It will be tough to get the 'whole' Treff done and catch the Rhine in Flames at the same time. You'd have to leave shortly before 16:00 to get to Skt Goar at eight. Maybe do the Treff Friday, do ETS and the excusion to Rhein in Flammen Saturday, and round out with the Treff Sunday...

Oh, and then, of course, Oktoberfest on Monday Love

- Carsten
Offline IanC  
#85 Posted : 22 June 2017 14:58:50(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
The 'Flyer' - you need : https://www.maerklin.de/...ungen/IMA-Flyer15_EN.pdf

or go through KiwiAlan's link, go to the English language version and click on the link at the bottom of the page entitled "Download the Info flyer"

Alles klar?

IanC
Offline sidblack  
#86 Posted : 23 June 2017 10:47:23(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi all,
Many thanks to everyone for their advice.
Unfortunately, the English side of Marklin site only has info for 2015 although the German side has the info for this year.
But thanks to all I have plenty of info to get on and enjoy the Treff weekend.

I think the Rhein in Flames might indeed be a bridge too far (excuse the metaphor and the unfortunate movie reference)

Again, would like to catch up with the other Marklinists over the weekend. The last time I was in Germany was in 1985 so it's been a while between drinks.
After the Treff we are indeed going to Oktoberfest and then on to Chur to catch the Bernina Express. Thanks also to the Man in Seat 61 who has a great way of getting discounted tickets for that trip.
Cheers,
John
Offline cramcke  
#87 Posted : 01 August 2017 19:13:01(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
FYI For anyone in the USA: Germanrailpasses.com is having a 20% off sale starting now and going through September for travel through October. If you haven't purchased your railpass for the Treff yet (and plan to) now is the time.

- Carsten
Offline TEEWolf  
#88 Posted : 01 August 2017 19:33:38(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: sidblack Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
Many thanks to everyone for their advice.
Unfortunately, the English side of Marklin site only has info for 2015 although the German side has the info for this year.
But thanks to all I have plenty of info to get on and enjoy the Treff weekend.

I think the Rhein in Flames might indeed be a bridge too far (excuse the metaphor and the unfortunate movie reference)

Again, would like to catch up with the other Marklinists over the weekend. The last time I was in Germany was in 1985 so it's been a while between drinks.
After the Treff we are indeed going to Oktoberfest and then on to Chur to catch the Bernina Express. Thanks also to the Man in Seat 61 who has a great way of getting discounted tickets for that trip.
Cheers,
John

Sorry, I did not rember this second thread for the IMA days. Please have a look for further information to the IMA days published by Maerklin meanwhile.

Please see my post # 19.

https://www.marklin-user...-17-Sept-2017#post549973
Offline eckstein  
#89 Posted : 08 August 2017 18:36:50(UTC)
eckstein

Canada   
Gentlemen,
Finally back in the sadle and ready for some Treff visits!
We'll be traveling (if all goes well) to Munich and then we've (my wife and I) have a room booked in Goppingen for the Treff weekend. (Art Hotel Ana since Hohenstaufen was long booked!)
I was wondering if Nigel and his wife Chris will be attending?
You can get in touch with me directly at johnmonsieurs@gmail.com

Looking forward to seeing the group again!
Regards,
John Monsieurs
Nanaimo BC
Canada
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by eckstein
Offline Drongo  
#90 Posted : 22 August 2017 12:57:05(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Can someone please help this "Drongo" - how can I buy the Treff tickets online so as to avoid the queues, or is this not possible?

Regards

Drongo
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline cramcke  
#91 Posted : 22 August 2017 14:25:40(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Can someone please help this "Drongo" - how can I buy the Treff tickets online so as to avoid the queues, or is this not possible?

Regards

Drongo

As far as I know it's not possible to buy the tickets in advance. But it isn't like you'll be standing in the queue for an hour to get tickets. It goes pretty fast, especially if you buy your tickets somewhere other than the Goeppingen train station. Like I suggested, consider taking the railbus to Leonard Weiss and buying your ticket there. I think the longest line was about a dozen people.

- Carsten
Offline IanC  
#92 Posted : 22 August 2017 15:34:24(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Drongo,

I concur with Carsten. Queues weren't that bad the last couple of times and there are plenty of places to buy tickets on site at all locations. If you have a Marklin Insider membership card you'll get a couple of Euro's off.

IanC
Offline TEEWolf  
#93 Posted : 22 August 2017 17:35:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Regards

Drongo

No problem to buy tickets. I guess it is more a problem that Maerklin does not tell everybody about all acitvities at the IMA days. I found this Maerklin internet side "Steam engine meeting in Goeppingen" only in German language available.

IMA day real train events and activities

It is not nice, because telling it all about the real railway activities and possibilities to meet the old trains in real size 1:1 during the IMA days.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#94 Posted : 22 August 2017 23:21:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Regards

Drongo

As far as I know it's not possible to buy the tickets in advance. But it isn't like you'll be standing in the queue for an hour to get tickets. It goes pretty fast, especially if you buy your tickets somewhere other than the Goeppingen train station. Like I suggested, consider taking the railbus to Leonard Weiss and buying your ticket there. I think the longest line was about a dozen people.

- Carsten

I agree with this, although last time I did get them at the stadium, and the queues were negligible there. Also the show wagons are at the ticket counters - and don't forget your Insider or Proficlub or LGB Club membership, it saves you 2 Euros off the ticket price.

Offline Tom Jessop  
#95 Posted : 22 August 2017 23:32:21(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

You can buy them from the museum at least a few days before the event , there is also the opportunity to cruise thru the warehouse section which has the runouts etc available without to many problems of other people crowding in .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
Offline Drongo  
#96 Posted : 23 August 2017 01:47:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks fellas for the information. I'm looking forward to the treff
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Colink  
#97 Posted : 24 August 2017 02:38:55(UTC)
Colink

Australia   
Hi All
Yes I am going to with my son,
How do you get to do the Marklin Factory Tour??
I am staying in Plochingen and will visit for the three days?
Offline Ausipeet  
#98 Posted : 24 August 2017 06:01:09(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Hello Colink,
tickets for the treff are available from the train station in goppingen and in other location there as well from what i have been told.
I will also be attending the treff and look forward to perhaps meeting up with some fellow aussie's

do not know how all will meet up but hey i will be there in a red shirt with Marklin on the back.

Hope to meet up see you there.
Peter From Adelaide
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#99 Posted : 24 August 2017 07:27:38(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I plan to visit at least one Maerklin store in Goppingen during the Treff. BigGrin I found several on the Maerklin website, but some are just toy stores with a M section. The only real shop is

Reutlinger Str. 2
73037 Göppingen

Has anyone visited it before? It is only a short walk, about 18 minutes, from the train station.
Offline IanC  
#100 Posted : 24 August 2017 11:00:26(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
G'day Colink,

This year the factory tour appears to be simply turn-up and join the queue. Previously it has been by invitation and departure from the Stauferpark so you might receive conflicting information based on what has been the practice at previous treffs. Suggest you try to make it on the Friday which should be quieter.

If you follow the shuttle bus route from the station, purchase your tickets in the foyer, buses depart over the bridge on the far side of the tracks. The circuit is in one direction only - Bahnhof - Marklin Museum / Erliebniswelt - Leonhart Weiss werks (useful link to and from the station here by red railbus) - Stauferpark, EWS Arena, "Marklin Main Station" by which I presume they mean the factory on Stuttgarter Strasse where the factory tours will be - and back to the Bahnhof. If I were you I'd settle for doing the Museum, Stauferpark and factory tour on the Friday and the rest on Saturday. Starting half way round on Saturday should also keep you ahead of the crowds. Save Sunday for photographing real steam and vintage trains at the station and returning for a selective second viewing of the best bits.

I'm thinking of raising a Union Jack on a table at the beer garden at the Stauferpark as an English Language Stammtisch and treff punkt / meeting point for at least some of the time and I will be wearing various British Railways logoed T shirts, so come and say hello.

IanC