Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dr. Tom's Kid  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2017 03:13:33(UTC)
Dr. Tom's Kid

United States   
I can't seem to find any info as to what the product # for this is. There is nothing imprinted on it but what can be seen on the front.

Thank you in advance for any help.

--Laurie

FullSizeRender (26).jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dr. Tom's Kid
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2017 17:32:59(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Laurie,

So far I don't know exactly what it is. It is nothing which was ever sold to customers by Märklin or ever announced officially. It looks like a prototype for miniclub-digital which was announced 1988 but never delivered.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2017 18:07:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Dr. Tom's Kid Go to Quoted Post
I can't seem to find any info as to what the product # for this is. There is nothing imprinted on it but what can be seen on the front.

Thank you in advance for any help.

--Laurie

Interesting item. the 1 - 6 are they LED's or Buttons?

Nothing embossed on the plastic base?

How did you come by it?

Are you in Utah? That is the late Tom Catherall's home State and it's certainly the type of thing he would have had access to

There is clearly another unit it connects to and without that it's probably not going to do much.

Is it able to be opened up? what's inside could also shed some light on it..

Mystery indeed. So many questions OhMyGod

Cookee

*** AH! Think I just made the connection, Tom was your Dad? Big welcome indeed, almost slipped under the radar.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bill Dickson  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2017 20:23:07(UTC)
Bill Dickson

United Kingdom   
It could be a controller from a large set with buttons for switching 6 points. Just a guess.
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2017 20:40:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Pre-production?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2017 20:55:14(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Turntable controller ?
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2017 13:20:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
To me it looks like a handheld controller for a small layout. It could possibly be something that was cobbled together for a Z-gauge demo layout.

The flat ribbon cable looks like it might have enough wires to cover all the functions on the controller in analogue form. All it would need would be a breakout box built into the layout with a matching connector which would then distribute the cabling to all six solenoid devices and the track feeder.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline waorb  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2017 20:02:16(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Maybe a photo from below and another from behind?

Cool
Offline Dr. Tom's Kid  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2017 00:27:39(UTC)
Dr. Tom's Kid

United States   
Thanks for the replies. Here are a few more pics.

IMG_4412.jpgIMG_4413.jpgIMG_4474.jpgIMG_4414.jpgIMG_4473.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dr. Tom's Kid
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2017 00:58:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that it might belong in the Marklin Museum.. It is very unusual..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Crazy Harry  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2017 03:46:24(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
To me it looks like a handheld controller for a small layout. It could possibly be something that was cobbled together for a Z-gauge demo layout.

The flat ribbon cable looks like it might have enough wires to cover all the functions on the controller in analogue form. All it would need would be a breakout box built into the layout with a matching connector which would then distribute the cabling to all six solenoid devices and the track feeder.

I agree with this evaluation, especially after seeing the additional photos. The blue and red wires are the ones that go to the feeder track. The seven 1.2V rechargeable batteries deliver about 9V, the normal operating voltage for Z (Mini Club) layouts. The circuit board under the pushbuttons looks like it provides contacts for analog solenoid devices i.e. a 6 switch version of a 70729 control box and connects to the layout via the ribbon cable. The jack on the ribbon cable end is probably for a recharger for the internal batteries.

The throttle rheostat is probably a centre off, turning right to go forward and left to go in reverse.

I'm surprised that they didn't have all wires come out of the same end in order to make it more handy.

Interesting find!

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Dr. Tom's Kid  
#12 Posted : 18 January 2017 17:52:38(UTC)
Dr. Tom's Kid

United States   
Thanks for the great help. Since I can't find another like it or a value, I will list it as an auction on ebay and get what I can for it. Harold, would you mind if I use your explanation in the item description when I list it? You were very thorough and clear.

Until the next mystery item...

Laurie
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 18 January 2017 18:12:19(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I will list it as an auction on ebay and get what I can for it.

Laurie

Personally I'm not interested; but I think some of the other guys here will appreciate a link when you do.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Dr. Tom's Kid  
#14 Posted : 18 January 2017 22:44:10(UTC)
Dr. Tom's Kid

United States   
I posted this earlier but can't find it so here's the link again;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marklin-Mini-Club-Hand-Held-Controller-Z-Gauge-/252730385253

My eBay username is dadstuff if anyone is interested in seeing what I've listed. I rarely put things up as an auction since I am not in a hurry and there is still a lot to list, but if I can't find anything to help me with pricing I do. The eBay store name is Dr Tom's Trains and Hobbies.

Thanks again for the advice -- Laurie
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 19 January 2017 02:09:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hi Laurie,

It is very hard to tell what this is, especially without a photo of the top side of the circuit board. The way in which the blue and red leads are fed into the unit suggests that this was very experimental. If this a finished product, there would hopefully be some fixation to prevent tension on the cable from reaching the soldering points/circuit board. It could be a selector which allows for the control of up to 6 locomotives (digital) or it could be a simple controller that also allows for the control of up to 6 accessories from the same unit.

Have you contacted anybody at Maerklin to find out more information? I haven't heard from my principal contact in Goeppingen in years.

I will post a link to the item in some of the German forums and will let you know what I find out.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 19 January 2017 02:25:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am actually wondering if this could be some kind of controller for a display or suitcase layout. The main leads would go to connections for the track power while the flat cable would connect to a socket to connect all of the accessories. This would allow for the operation of such a setup without electricity.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Crazy Harry  
#17 Posted : 19 January 2017 03:28:55(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Harold, would you mind if I use your explanation in the item description when I list it? You were very thorough and clear.
Laurie

Laurie

No problem, hope I'm right!

Harold.
Offline Markus Schild  
#18 Posted : 19 January 2017 15:50:32(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

someone else knew the correct answer: Nothing digital and also no prototype. It is a controller delivered with the factory layout 0623: Z-layout in a suitcase. Pictures of the layout (with the controller) can be seen here:

http://www.sammeln.z-ins...erklin-werksanlage-0623/

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline jvuye  
#19 Posted : 19 January 2017 23:03:13(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

someone else knew the correct answer: Nothing digital and also no prototype. It is a controller delivered with the factory layout 0623: Z-layout in a suitcase. Pictures of the layout (with the controller) can be seen here:

http://www.sammeln.z-ins...erklin-werksanlage-0623/

Regards

Markus

Yes that's exactly it.
I have known with Dr Catherall for years when he was doing quite a lot of experimenting with Märklin.
So it's normal you'll find a number of unusual items, and even some "one off" devices.
I still have a couple of contacts in the factory, dating back to the 1990's and some may be a resource.
But better hurry, they are all ready for Ruhestand, if not there already.
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 20 January 2017 06:07:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It looks like my hunch was pretty much bang on. The unit pictured in the photos attached to Markus Schild's post show different cables, which would solve the issue that I mentioned about possible tension damage on the cables and potential damage to the soldering joint/circuit board, so Laurie's board has been somehow modified from the one pictured with the layout.
After looking at it for a few minutes, it occurred to me that somebody showing off a portable (suitcase) layout might want to have a controller/power supply that could be operated independently of AC mains. This was how I was led to the conclusion that it was a controller for train and accessories for such a layout. I was surprised that it did not have all the leads coming out of the same end, as that would have made more sense to me.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Dr. Tom's Kid  
#21 Posted : 20 January 2017 20:14:23(UTC)
Dr. Tom's Kid

United States   
I'm glad the mystery has been solved. My dad did have a suitcase layout that I sold to someone but it was much smaller than the one shown. More like a briefcase layout.

Next mystery:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Is this supposed to go with something else? The circle is so small that very few locos types can be used on it. It has a bunch of velcro pieces with it like it was supposed to be stuck down on another board or layout.

Thanks -- Laurie