Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2017 00:56:09(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Hello. Sadly my 2015 Märklin BR 94 mfx +; ref 37162 stopped running this morning, no sound and no lights...it makes a buzzy sound all the time so I guess the decoder is burned.

I´ve surfing the web trying to identify the aproppriate decoder to replace it but got no clues...call me an idiot. Would Märklin SoundDecoder MsD3 be right for my loco?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2017 11:12:35(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: carlos.rivas.16752 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. Sadly my 2015 Märklin BR 94 mfx +; ref 37162 stopped running this morning, no sound and no lights...it makes a buzzy sound all the time so I guess the decoder is burned.

I´ve surfing the web trying to identify the aproppriate decoder to replace it but got no clues...call me an idiot. Would Märklin SoundDecoder MsD3 be right for my loco?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Carlos

If you have still warranty,send burn decoder to Märklin via the shop store where you did bought locomotive.
No warranty...order an new decoder by follow the manual of the locomotive.
It stand the number of the decoder.
If you decides to buy an mSD3,you need lok programmer to fix the sounds by program.
You have to download files from Märklin.
Or get one ESU loksound.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2017 12:21:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
there are heaps of reports in Stummi's forum about this loco and similar, I wouldn't just replace the decoder but have a very close look at the motor and most probably because of the motor malfunctioning the decoder failed.
I've exchanged 2 motors and used an ESU sound decoder for a client. so don't waste more money unless you get the right advice, some owners send the loco back 3 times (Göppingen ) before the loco was working correctly

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2017 14:36:20(UTC)
Goofy

I´m pretty sure there was contact default between decoder and motor.
In all decoder there is overload protection if motor overload the decoder.
H0
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2017 15:18:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
In all decoder there is overload protection if motor overload the decoder.
There were several reports of 37160s with fried decoders after grease got into the motor.
Theoretically there is overload protection ...

The loco in question is 37162 and I thought the over-greasing issue was solved with that one.
It's a 2015 new item, so probably still under warranty.

And you cannot yet buy retrofit decoders with mfx+.
An MSD/3 can be used, but without mfx+. €100 RRP.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2017 16:10:17(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Theoretically there is overload protection ...
And you cannot yet buy retrofit decoders with mfx+.

No there is overload protection under the warranty.
Yes you can retrofit decoder mfx+ by follow locomotive manual and order decoders number.

H0
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2017 17:02:43(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
OK, thank you all.

I´ll take a closer look at the motor and check if everything is right. I´ll check also if there´s a contact default between decoder and motor. But spending 100 euros plus shipping in a new decoder means 1/3 of a new loco, so time to think...

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2017 08:40:11(UTC)
H0

Yes you can retrofit decoder mfx+ by follow locomotive manual and order decoders number.
According to my definition these are "spare part decoders" but no "retrofit decoders".
For me "retrofit decoders" are the decoders listed in the catalogue for upgrading existing locos.

But it makes no sense to discuss such definitions with "Mr. power detonations". I am not a native English speaker and my English is not as fluent as yours.

Spare part decoders are very expensive and always show red lights in the product database.
Because of the hilarious prices I never considered getting one.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2017 09:30:46(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
According to my definition these are "spare part decoders" but no "retrofit decoders".
For me "retrofit decoders" are the decoders listed in the catalogue for upgrading existing locos.

But it makes no sense to discuss such definitions with "Mr. power detonations". I am not a native English speaker and my English is not as fluent as yours.

Spare part decoders are very expensive and always show red lights in the product database.
Because of the hilarious prices I never considered getting one.

Sure just blaime against me!
It´s google translation defaults.
By the way...decoder can be replacement with an new decoder by order.
So long there is in stock just get one new and if there is warranty,you get free.

H0
Offline nicko.goncharoff@gma  
#10 Posted : 28 December 2020 13:12:23(UTC)
nicko.goncharoff@gma

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
there are heaps of reports in Stummi's forum about this loco and similar, I wouldn't just replace the decoder but have a very close look at the motor and most probably because of the motor malfunctioning the decoder failed.
I've exchanged 2 motors and used an ESU sound decoder for a client. so don't waste more money unless you get the right advice, some owners send the loco back 3 times (Göppingen ) before the loco was working correctly

John

Hi all. Just to add to the unfortunate feedback on this loco, I have a BR 94 that I admittedly bought used but still seems like it is faulty. Right after buying it in 2018 (as part of the 29721 Starter Set that we use for a Christmas layout) the engine started performing intermittently and then stopped functioning. As I purchased it used and it was out of warranty I had it repaired here in the UK where I live. It operated reasonably well for the 2018 and 2019 Christmas seasons, but this year (right on Christmas Eve) the engine began running slowly and intermittently and then stopped altogether (see the following thread for more details in you're interested: https://www.marklin-user...ects-working#post624205)

I'm doing a test with a new loco to see if the problem lies with the decoder and will post to this thread if I discover any useful information.

I really love the BR 94 design and might consider just biting the bullet at some point and buying a recent, hopefully improved, new release from Marklin, though I will be contacting them first to ask what, if anything, has been addressed in their newest model.