Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjbartels  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2016 05:36:35(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Hi all

I've been for some time standardizing my couplers to the new Marklin style, and moving away from the Relex version (not that there is anything wrong with it). That being said, as I have integrated some Piko and other freight cars into my stock, this has been a huge success. However, the other day I introduced some Piko AC loks and this has been a total disaster, buffers in the way, basically the coupler is too short. That being said, does an NEM coupler pocket extender or the like exist? Or do I need to revisit my standard coupler choice?
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2016 08:11:20(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
However, the other day I introduced some Piko AC loks and this has been a total disaster, buffers in the way, basically the coupler is too short.
Piko made Hobby models (e.g. BR 189/ES 64 F4, BR 182/ES 64 U2, BR 185.0/TRAXX) where the NEM pocket is too short. But if the Märklin coupler collides with the buffers, then the coupler could be the problem: the Märklin coupler is too high.

That being said, does an NEM coupler pocket extender or the like exist?
Piko offer such things (56036, pack of two). You have to take a small file and modify the existing coupler pocket to use them.
As a work-around (for the Piko Hobby locos mentioned above), use cars without guiding mechanism right behind the loco. You can gain a bit of space when using height-adjustable Roco Universal couplers.

German text here (open the first item in the list):
https://www.piko-shop.de...name=detail&vw_id=57

Or do I need to revisit my standard coupler choice?
The Märklin close coupler is a bad choice for non-Märklin rolling stock.

Two possible problems. Which models do you have?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2016 13:33:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have Marklin close couplers on my Piko wagons and coaches and they work fine, but the locos are a different matter. After experimenting with different solutions I found that just keeping the original Piko coupler on the loco generally works except for the odd occasion when they don't want to uncouple from Marklin close couplers. If you keep your trains in fixed rakes that may not be a problem but if you couple and uncouple frequently you should look at keeping the same type of coupler between adjacent wagons in a train.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sjbartels  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2016 02:29:15(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have Marklin close couplers on my Piko wagons and coaches and they work fine, but the locos are a different matter. After experimenting with different solutions I found that just keeping the original Piko coupler on the loco generally works except for the odd occasion when they don't want to uncouple from Marklin close couplers. If you keep your trains in fixed rakes that may not be a problem but if you couple and uncouple frequently you should look at keeping the same type of coupler between adjacent wagons in a train.

That's the exact scenario!! I've had no issue with Piko rolling stock with Marklin short couplers, the issue surfaced when I bought in the Piko lok. I think I'll go ahead and switch the lok couplers back, unless I can find some shorter bumpers for the lok perhaps
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2016 08:16:57(UTC)
H0

I think I'll go ahead and switch the lok couplers back, unless I can find some shorter bumpers for the lok perhaps
You still didn't tell us which locos you have problems with.
I applied the Piko distance rings and Roco Universal couplers to some of my Piko Hobby locos.
Later Piko locos work fine with Roco Universal couplers without modification.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sjbartels  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2016 23:31:28(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I think I'll go ahead and switch the lok couplers back, unless I can find some shorter bumpers for the lok perhaps
You still didn't tell us which locos you have problems with.
I applied the Piko distance rings and Roco Universal couplers to some of my Piko Hobby locos.
Later Piko locos work fine with Roco Universal couplers without modification.

It is both Piko loco's, models 57291 and 59346. I have since played a little more, if I run my Piko 4 axle tank cars (which also have Marklin couplers) the buffers are colliding, but if I run a Marklin passenger car behind, then there is no issue, there is enough clearance between them. When I went ahead and compared the location of the couplers between the Piko models and a Marklin 185 that I have, it's clear the coupler sits too far back.

To that end I forsee several options, switching the Piko loco's back to Piko couplers (not my first choice quite honestly but alas likely my only choice) or trying to find a way to extend the coupler. I have never heard of one, but if there was a longer version of the 7203 coupler.. that be nice.
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:31:25(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
hey mate. read this properly. https://www.piko-shop.de...name=detail&vw_id=57

It shows how to modify the nem fitting to extend the couplers. Better still, buy Marklin or shorten the buffers.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:40:14(UTC)
H0

When I went ahead and compared the location of the couplers between the Piko models and a Marklin 185 that I have, it's clear the coupler sits too far back.
On all my Märklin TRAXX locos with metal body I replace the NEM coupler pocket to reduce the space between loco and first car.
The Märklin TRAXX locos with plastic body show a completely different picture.

Piko 57291 is a ES 64 U2 and it needs the 3 mm distance ring if you want to use close couplers. Blame Piko for making the coupler pocket too short.
With this loco, buffer will collide with buffer and lead to derailments - unless you add the 3 mm extra space.

Piko 59346 is a TRAXX 2 model from the Expert series and there shouldn't be any issues with any close couplers except the Märklin close coupler which is too high and collides with the buffers. There shouldn't be any issues with Roco Close couplers or Roco Universal couplers.
Blame Märklin for making their close couplers too high.
With this loco, the Märklin close coupler will collide with the buffers, leading to derailments of the car behind the loco. There shouldn't be collisions between buffers.
Some relevant photos in this blog post:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjbartels  
#9 Posted : 10 December 2016 20:59:31(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
hey mate. read this properly. https://www.piko-shop.de...name=detail&vw_id=57

It shows how to modify the nem fitting to extend the couplers. Better still, buy Marklin or shorten the buffers.

Don't worry mate, every other loco I have is Marklin, these two just kinda turned up. Worst case scenario is I can revert back to using the original Piko coupler, annoying from a standardisation standpoint, but not the end of the world either if I have a consist that has a Piko coupler at the end of it. Just means I can't use that consist with any other loco as easily as if all were the same. This information is however what I was looking for, thanks mate!