Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2016 03:05:07(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I ask because in figuring out how to configure a Christmas layout on the carpet in the room I want a dog-bone with two R1 return loops at the ends... because it fits nicely around my speakers/xmas tree and connects in front of my media console. But there is no switch for that configuration, so I had to get out the software and find a way to do it with the Straight/R2 turnout and some R2 bits, and other bits, and a lot of R1. and then deal with the tolerance error, and that the whole things geometry from the back(Top) down into the curve part of the switch is wider than I would like.

Capture.PNG

So why isn't there an R1->Straight turnout?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2016 07:32:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There used to be a R1 switch in old M Track. There is no R1 switch in the last M generation or in K or C Track.
The easiest way to accomplish what you are seeking to do is to set your switch track further away from the loop and then to use a combo 26412 and compensation curve to bring a track parallel to the original line and then to use 3 R1 Right, 3 R1 Left, 24188, 3 R1 Left and 3 R2 Left to bring the track back to the straight of the original switch. Alternately, you can use a compensation track to make your curve switch + comp + R2 to a quarter circle (90 deg), then 6 R1 left and 3 R2 left to bring it back to the straight on the switch.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2016 08:57:41(UTC)
H0

There was an R1 turnout in the Alpha system.

Why is there no R1 turnout in the C track system? I don't know.
You can make 30° turnouts and the angle will define the track spacing.
You can define the track spacing and calculate the angle of the turnout. Then you will need another piece to bring the turnout to 30°.

The Alpha turnout was 180 mm and 30°. Ideal for reversing loops, but will need short track pieces as fillers when used for large (shadow) stations.
There is no 180 mm straight track with C track - having 172 mm and 188 mm avoids the need for short filler pieces when sticking to the 24.3° turnout angle.

To get a reversing loop with a 24611/2, add a 24206 to the turnout and use one 24230 in the reversing loop and it will fit without bending.

$$$ya_reversing_loop.png
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2016 10:02:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
On my old M-track layout I used R1 turnouts for the passing loop in my station. I was forever having derailments due to the severe change in direction in the "s" curve, especially when reversing a train through it. I think Marklin took it out of the range to avoid those problems as well as to simplify the geometry issues as Tom points out.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2016 13:09:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
There was an R1 turnout in the Alpha system.

Why is there no R1 turnout in the C track system? I don't know.

I believe that Marklin used the R2 for the turnout to minimise the parallel track spacing. This is a problem with M track using R1 turnouts (but they also had the problem of being 30 degree curves which doesn't help the parallel track spacing).

Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2016 18:03:44(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

To get a reversing loop with a 24611/2, add a 24206 to the turnout and use one 24230 in the reversing loop and it will fit without bending.

$$$ya_reversing_loop.png

Thanks, that would work good it seems.

Clearly I need to read up on how to get into the mindset of using C-track to do layouts, to acquire that natural understanding of what filler pieces or other adjustment parts need to be used in conjunction with the main components I want to use. There was no way to have the 'auto-close' feature work with just a big circle of 24130 and a detached 24611 turnout... I would have had to connect (and did) one of the turnout legs to the loop.. but both sides need some of that wisdom to either use the 24206 or the 24230.

Is there a recommended youtube tutorial or website that may help my mind start working in these jedi ctrack ways?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok