Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kodiak  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2010 12:10:29(UTC)
Kodiak

Im in the planing stages of my first real layout, having had my modest collection set up on tables of varying size through out the years (a pool table is an excellent choice).

my question is this, how much noisier is M track when screwed down, and how much of a difference do the Marklin 7171 sound deadening strips make. is a thin layer of cork a better choice? it seems as though the strips wont add much height to the tracks. how thick dose the cork need to be for it to be effective? I gather if i use the strips ill need to put under each and every screw that goes down.
John and his M track, the only way to train. Now with added C track and bonus K track.
If your gona be a bear, be a grizzly!
You have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, what ever the hell you wanna do!
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2010 18:39:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
You can use cork sheet for M-tracks.

Brought from Gaugemaster http://www.gaugemaster.c...;style=main&strType=

Check your Model/hobby shop to see if have some.

I have a roll of cork sheet all over under the c-tracks, See picture http://steventrain.fpic.co.uk/p62952306.html
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline dntower85  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2010 19:21:11(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Depends on what the m-track is screwed down to. 1/4" plywood can act like a drum but add enough plaster and scenery it will get quieter. I'm building a o gauge layout and I am using a sound deadening board called homasote over 1/4" plywood. It is suppose to help a lot but O gauge is noisy.
I think the cork will do a lot for m track.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2010 19:23:49(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I buy 1/8" cork sheets 2' X 4' in a roll from an office supply house (Staples). I cut into strips, curves, or turnout shapes as required with a straight edge and razor knife. I only screw down everyother piece of track often with only one screw.
Eric
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline Loadmaster  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2010 20:57:20(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
I have found that Dow Corning manufacturers a foam insulation board. It is offered in 1", 2", & 4" thickness in lengths of 2' x 8'. It is used my many if the Z scale modelers in layers they it is cut out to form rivers to be bridged. I'm thinking about a 1" piece under a 4" piece for my HO trains. Of course, I'll have cross beams under it.

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2010 21:33:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Woodland Scenics (Noch) do foam sheets which i find very good. I use under C track. Quite expensive but in my view worthwhile.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2010 21:41:17(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

No soundproofing for me, thankyou very much. BigGrin

Ian.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2010 21:55:45(UTC)
Webmaster

I'd say that a thin styropor/foam sheet would be better than cork or the expensive M rubber dampers... The screws will transpond the noise to the board, so maybe some dabs of hot glue for fixating the styropor & tracks would be preferred? Just a thought...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline utkan  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2010 23:05:24(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Hi John,

If it might give an idea,I would be happy....M-Tacks with 7171 sound deading strips...the screws have been removed....

with my kind regards....

mehmet
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2010 20:56:07(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Ian555 wrote:
Hi John,

No soundproofing for me, thankyou very much. BigGrin

Ian.

yes indeed......m track is all about that beautiful "noise"
Joe
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline rhobson1968  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2010 03:05:24(UTC)
rhobson1968

Put a fiber board on top of the plywood. The fiberboard is super quiet and cheap.
Never quit building.
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#12 Posted : 18 March 2010 08:42:17(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
John,

I use a special grey foam available from Clarke rubber.
By the way, if you need screws, I sell top quality ones for M/C track etc...

go to ebay.com.au, type in Marklin and you will find them.

Cheers,
Glenn
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2010 10:19:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I use 2mm cork on 15mm "laminated" board (sorry forgot the english term). -The decisive factor seems indeed to be the screws! Dont tighten them much, as they are the perfect sound-conductor.
It might also help to make narrow wooden "ramps" instead of large "plates" which tends to baffle the sound more.
Also not many screws are needed -especially if you glue in scenery along the tracks. In hidden sections I screw down each third rail-segment.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline BillJ  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2010 12:15:10(UTC)
BillJ

I put down a layer of 1/8" cork under green felt, both glued to plywood. Going online, I was able to find a supplier of sheet cork sold in rolls. In the US it is sold in 4' width and varying lengths, making it very convenient for 4'x8' sheets of plywood. I have been very happy with the results, both for sound reduction and overall.

There is a bit of learning curve when drilling through either cork and felt, but nothing serious. Keep a shop vac around to clean up the bits of cork from drilling holes as you go. Many swear by homasote as a cheaper and less crumbly alternative, but I didn't want to have either the extra thickness or the substantially greater weight.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2010 13:38:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I think with M track you have to accept noise. It does mean you dont get much value from loco sound decoders.
Then again M track people probably just go ; Chuff Chuff ; themselves when their trains are running.

Joking guys, I do know there are lots of M track fans. Serously though good sound proofing does make a big difference and instead of screws just a touch of a rubber type glue will hold the track in place and allow it to be lifted later.
Ian: Copydex works well with C track and perhaps could be used with M.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Kodiak  
#16 Posted : 18 March 2010 14:28:45(UTC)
Kodiak

Thanks for your help guys, I think ill have to run some experiments, as much for my curiosity as anything else. Maybe put a biggish oval with different sound deadener's under different parts.
John and his M track, the only way to train. Now with added C track and bonus K track.
If your gona be a bear, be a grizzly!
You have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, what ever the hell you wanna do!
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#17 Posted : 18 March 2010 19:21:13(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
David Dewar wrote:
I think with M track you have to accept noise. It does mean you dont get much value from loco sound decoders.
Then again M track people probably just go ; Chuff Chuff ; themselves when their trains are running.

Joking guys, I do know there are lots of M track fans. Serously though good sound proofing does make a big difference and instead of screws just a touch of a rubber type glue will hold the track in place and allow it to be lifted later.
Ian: Copydex works well with C track and perhaps could be used with M.

dave

Oh darn.....how did u know i go chuff chuff, and sometimes even choef choef!! I like the glue bit, makes sense, and easier to apply than screws! ......chuff, chuff Joe
Offline Ian555  
#18 Posted : 18 March 2010 20:52:26(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Joe,

Can I join in...Chuff chuff..chuff chuff BigGrin

At least no one else can here me in the "train room".

Ian.

Dave, copydex ??
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 18 March 2010 23:35:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Ian. Copydex is a glue which you can get at B & Q or Homebase and at some local shops. It is different to most glues and I put a little on the edge of C track which holds the track firmly in postion and if I want to lift the track it will come away from the baseboard by inserting a screwdriver or similar under the track ballast.
It sticks my C track to a foam base and running is near silent. With a few locos running on M without sound deadening you might find it difficult to hear sound decoders etc.

dave
Offline Ian555  
#20 Posted : 19 March 2010 00:07:50(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Dave,

Thanks, I'll have a look for that at our local B&Q.

I wish I had a few Loco's running,still crawling about underneath doing wiring.Cursing.

Ian.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#21 Posted : 20 March 2010 16:39:32(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Ian555 wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks, I'll have a look for that at our local B&Q.

I wish I had a few Loco's running,still crawling about underneath doing wiring.Cursing.

Ian.

I cheat.....do little bit of wiring, then running locos, then wiring...running, but with a small layout like mine it is easier of course! chuff chuff on M...
Offline JGM  
#22 Posted : 02 December 2016 04:46:01(UTC)
JGM

Canada   
I am getting back into Marklin and read these articles previously and decided to try plastic rawlplugs in the baseboard for the screws, any one tried this
Offline xxup  
#23 Posted : 02 December 2016 04:52:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have tonnes of m-track.. What noise? Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline sjbartels  
#24 Posted : 02 December 2016 05:57:29(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I have some M track sections mixed into my C track and quite honestly, I love the rumble when whatever I am running transitions to the M track section, my next future layout (I am planning to be moving in the next 1-2 years and so don't want to dismantle any landscape) is going to incorporate plenty of M track for this very reason
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 02 December 2016 07:39:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I used cork under my M track, which is screwed to my MDF baseboard. Screws do however transmit sound from the track to the baseboard, so if you are worried about noise, try to find some other way to fix your track. Also, think about whether your fixing method allows you to easily take up your track should you need to access underneath the track for some reason.