Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#51 Posted : 23 September 2016 09:04:36(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I Have replaced the leads on all my 6 old blue trannys.

Just a note. An electric linesman was working on a transformer up a pole by the airport in Kerikeri. happened and a white hot lump of copper fell down and set fire to the wetlands by the airport. The whole lot burned up. The wetlands have all grown back but it just shows that even if you know what you are doing, shit happens.

The world is turning to crap slowly with regulations, and we will soon need a license to wipe our own asses.

DereckFlapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline xxup  
#52 Posted : 23 September 2016 09:29:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
...and we will soon need a license to wipe our own asses....

Too late.. Blushing I think that there is an EU regulation covering this one.. LOL It was probably the Britexit trigger - Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline cookee_nz  
#53 Posted : 23 September 2016 09:41:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Just a note. An electric linesman was working on a transformer up a pole by the airport in Kerikeri. happened and a white hot lump of copper fell down and set fire to the wetlands by the airport. The whole lot burned up. The wetlands have all grown back but it just shows that even if you know what you are doing, shit happens.

The world is turning to crap slowly with regulations, and we will soon need a license to wipe our own asses.

What the hell, you're actually allowed to do that up there?

Down here we are required to hold it all in, until there's enough crap inside for us to become politicians!!

I'm speaking to my MP....
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Markus Schild  
#54 Posted : 23 September 2016 10:34:02(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I recently asked here (Blue Transformer for accessories, HO threads) if there were any safety issues concerning the much more recent (1980s) 6611 lighting transformer with which I intend to use to power accessories on an otherwise digi layout. Todate there is no response, My assumption is that the 6611 is not subject to the deteriorated insulation dangers of the much earlier trafo models being discussed on this thread.

Hi,

The 6611, which has a plastic-case, is not known for safety-issues in any way.

Regards

Markus

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline RayF  
#55 Posted : 23 September 2016 10:42:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
I recently asked here (Blue Transformer for accessories, HO threads) if there were any safety issues concerning the much more recent (1980s) 6611 lighting transformer with which I intend to use to power accessories on an otherwise digi layout. Todate there is no response, My assumption is that the 6611 is not subject to the deteriorated insulation dangers of the much earlier trafo models being discussed on this thread.

Hi,

The 6611, which has a plastic-case, is not known for safety-issues in any way.

Regards

Markus

The only safety issue inherent in all blue transformers is that they are bidirectional. When using multiple transformers it is possiblt to connect the layout wiring in such a way that when you unplug one transformer you get mains voltage on the pins of your plug and a subsequent risk of electrocution. In this case the transformer is working backwards and coverting the 16V of the layout into 120/230 V at the other end.

The instructions for these older transformers always carried a warning about this.

The latest switched-mode power supplies don't have this problem at all.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#56 Posted : 23 September 2016 11:31:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Down here we are required to hold it all in, until there's enough crap inside for us to become politicians!!

You should know that you should never hold your farts in. If you do, they travel up your spine into your head and that's where crappy ideas come from!

To Jabez, Ray is right - the blue transformers do not have any back transformer protection, whereas the newer white and grey transformers do.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Markus Schild  
#57 Posted : 23 September 2016 11:59:38(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

To Jabez, Ray is right - the blue transformers do not have any back transformer protection, whereas the newer white and grey transformers do.

Hi,

Caution: Not all grey/white transformers have that protection. Earlier models don't have it. I don't know any feature to see from the outside whether the transformer is equipped with the electronic or not. The best way is to handle all transformers with the same precautions.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline TEEWolf  
#58 Posted : 23 September 2016 19:11:26(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post

Wait, quick fetch it from the trash and get it to Germany to be exchanged for the new digital Marklin products...BigGrin

Ahhh - yes I had the same idea. But as myself, I guess you misunderstood something. In the Insider news 02/2006 (yes a long time ago - but Maerklin still shall change the transformers) on page # 06 Maerklin announced this program.

(Link: Märklin Insider News 02/2006
sorry, this is in German – please, may somebody help me to find the English version?)

They change old transformers to new transformers. Costs shall be about 50 €, but no change to a digital equipment. But you can use this transformers to control e.g. the lights on your layout. OK, this you may do it with any other transformer as well and perhaps even for a cheaper price. But if you choose a Maerklin transformer with a potentiometer than you can easily regulate the brightness of your lights. In any case you will have more amperage left for your digital locos.
Offline Webmaster  
#59 Posted : 23 September 2016 21:26:16(UTC)
Webmaster

I recently asked here (Blue Transformer for accessories, HO threads) if there were any safety issues concerning the much more recent (1980s) 6611 lighting transformer

I have a 6611 which I intend to use exactly the same way as you do, no issues with that.

The older 50's-60's transformers rubber cable insulation hardens & crumble so when you bend it - it crumbles both the outer cable isolation and the inner lead isolation.

The 6611 has a grey plastic cable insulation of modern standards so it's safe to use, unless there is some damage on the mains cable...

The older transformers have a metal casing that can cause electrical shocks if gone bad, the more modern ones have a plastic casing and thus less dangerous...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Z-nerd  
#60 Posted : 31 December 2016 15:32:04(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
Until today I had one of those old metal transformators, lately it started to emit a sound when I touched the electric cable .
After I have read this thread I decided it wasnt worth keeping it. At the swedish Ebay no one buys them either because of the high shipping cost.

UserPostedImage
In the garbage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Z-nerd
Offline Coltding  
#61 Posted : 02 July 2018 19:57:07(UTC)
Coltding

United States   
As a newbie to the board I was interested in this old thread about the 6153 transformer. I was looking to see if anyone can tell me why I am only getting 9V to my indicator bulb. The Marklin Man in North Carolina says that the correct bulb is 18V and indeed, I am getting a dramatically reduced glow from the new bulb. Any thoughts on what I can do? I take full responsibility for anything I may attempt in resolving this issue as I have had the appropriate training in working with 110V current. Thanks guys.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#62 Posted : 02 July 2018 20:07:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
how are you measuring the 9 Volts? The current is AC so you need to use a meter that can measure AC RMS Voltage...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline H0  
#63 Posted : 02 July 2018 21:08:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Coltding Go to Quoted Post
I was looking to see if anyone can tell me why I am only getting 9V to my indicator bulb.
The correct connection for light bulbs is between yellow and brown.
Between yellow and red or between red and brown you will get varying voltages, depending on the setting of the speedknob.

Is the transformer rated for 220 V?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#64 Posted : 03 July 2018 01:16:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My guess would be that if you are getting 9V instead of 18V, that you are powering a 220V transformer with 110V instead.
For modellers in USA/Canada, I would recommend getting a proper North American transformer rather than using a step up converter.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Markus Schild  
#65 Posted : 03 July 2018 07:31:44(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Coltding Go to Quoted Post
As a newbie to the board I was interested in this old thread about the 6153 transformer. I was looking to see if anyone can tell me why I am only getting 9V to my indicator bulb.

Hi,

#6153 is the correct number for an UL-listed 110/115V transformer. Are we talking about the bulb inside the transformer?

Regards

Markus
Offline NS1200  
#66 Posted : 03 July 2018 09:39:20(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   

What??????

Does Kerikeri have an airport?????Flapper Flapper Flapper Tongue Tongue Tongue ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline river6109  
#67 Posted : 04 July 2018 03:48:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

not without a Union ticket LOL LOL LOL
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline cookee_nz  
#68 Posted : 04 July 2018 13:13:14(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

What??????

Does Kerikeri have an airport?????Flapper Flapper Flapper Tongue Tongue Tongue ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

I'm still reeling over having electricity up there !! :-)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline TEEWolf  
#69 Posted : 05 July 2018 03:05:31(UTC)
TEEWolf

What??????

Well they do and they even have their own runway.Laugh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerikeri_Airport

https://web.archive.org/....kerikeri-airport.co.nz/

This for only 7.400 people.Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerikeri
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#70 Posted : 05 July 2018 04:46:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Kerikeri also has the best orange juice I've ever tasted!

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Yes, but the area is a very popular tourist destination.
Online kimballthurlow  
#71 Posted : 05 July 2018 09:09:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
They say orange is the world's favorite flavour.

I have mainly post-2005 Maerklin items, but I once purchased 2 blue transformers with other stuff.
I immediately packed them off to Maerklin in Germany, who sent me 2 new grey ones, and I think they cost me 20 Euros each.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline NS1200  
#72 Posted : 05 July 2018 21:18:56(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Kerikeri also has the best orange juice I've ever tasted!

Yes, but the area is a very popular tourist destination.

Orange juice is out of fashion,too much sugar.

Offline NS1200  
#73 Posted : 05 July 2018 21:35:42(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   

What??????

Well they do and they even have their own runway.Laugh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerikeri_Airport

https://web.archive.org/....kerikeri-airport.co.nz/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerikeri

I worked in NZ in 1982 and saw most of both islands.
Nice country and easy going people.
I was not at Kerikeri,came as far north as the Bay of Islands.
I saw planes landing at Windy Wellington,not something for the weakhearted.
I suppose the distances warrant local airports.
Some names refer to Dutch explorer Abel Tasman,who was there on 13 December 1642,well before James Cook.

Offline TEEWolf  
#74 Posted : 05 July 2018 23:27:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
They say orange is the world's favorite flavour.

I have mainly post-2005 Maerklin items, but I once purchased 2 blue transformers with other stuff.
I immediately packed them off to Maerklin in Germany, who sent me 2 new grey ones, and I think they cost me 20 Euros each.

Kimball

But you are well aware a real "Radler" is always a mixture of cold beer and cold limpid citron lemonade. Mostly mixed 50/50 or 60/40. In these days with its high temperatures (in South Germany), it is just and only refreshing.

Beer with Orange - well you can get it too. But it tastes different. Last week I drunk beer mixed with red grapefruit for the first time. Not bad. But my second drink was again beer with citron lemonade.Wink

TEEWolf
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline wojo12  
#75 Posted : 04 January 2019 20:29:34(UTC)
wojo12

Australia   
Is there a list somewhere of the transformers which should be checked? Is the 6177 in that category?

John
MrB32  
#76 Posted : 04 January 2019 20:44:34(UTC)

yep, the 6177 is in that category.

Buy a new 6647 or 66471, it is a little expense in comparison with gain in safety.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Guest
Offline David Dewar  
#77 Posted : 04 January 2019 23:42:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I can only repeat what I always say. By an up to date power pack and controller as the basis of a layout which will ( at least mine do) last for years. I don't see the point in spending on expensive locos etc and trying to save on what drives them. However it is down to what budget you have on model rail.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline cookee_nz  
#78 Posted : 05 January 2019 03:54:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: wojo12 Go to Quoted Post
Is there a list somewhere of the transformers which should be checked? Is the 6177 in that category?

John

Hi John,

At the risk of incurring wrath..... Personally I do not consider the 6177 to be an 'at risk' device ** as far as this specific safety warning topic goes **

The reason is simple, the 6177 has a PVC mains cord, not a rubber one. It's the risk from perished rubber which is the primary concern.

However, as an 'older' electrical device, it is always wise to have it checked if you have any concerns. If you have it checked by a professional including an internal inspection, and it is found to be safe, no brittle plastic, loose screws etc, then you can continue to use it safely and perhaps have it rechecked in 5 years or so.

I know there are views on this at both ends of the spectrum, but this is not confined just to model railways, it applies to any older appliance, power tool etc that you may have around the home.

If you have an analogue layout and wish to have everything typical of the era then you may personally find your 6177 to be visually appealing and that would be a valid reason for continuing to use it instead of replacing it, although you could achieve a good compromise by moving to a Plastic-case Blue Trafo.

BUT.... (always a 'but') - if you run any Digital equipment, or are considering it then you are less likely to be concerned about aesthetics and the move to a newer 'modern' Trafo designed for Digital compatibility would be a smart move.

Keep in mind that there are many many mains-powered electrical products that now fall into the 'vintage' category which enthusiasts still use without any issues.

Common-sense plays a big part, and if you have any doubt then certainly do look at replacement options, but if you like the look, the 'feel', and the operation of your older Blue Trafo then consider having it checked for peace of mind.

I'll add as a last thought that I have read reports of some newer white controllers failing - not because of safety concerns, usually a broken wire for the speed control or a failed thermostat.

Hope this gives you some balance.

Best for the New Year

Stephen
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mountainroads  
#79 Posted : 26 October 2023 06:07:26(UTC)
mountainroads

Wow. A fascinating, and obviously controversial, topic. I replaced the power cords on my 5 venerable 280 trafos several years ago for the obvious reasons - badly deteriorated inside insulation. I bought replacement 5-ft appliance cords (with molded-on 3-prong male plugs) at my local hardware store. I documented the necessary steps and took pictures, including how to open and properly ground the case. I intended to post instructions with the usual caveats so that others similarly inclined could safely and properly resurrect these classic period pieces, even after reading the previous thread with all the cautionary and legal warnings. However, I'm even more reluctant now than before, based on what a "hot" topic this is.

Obligatory disclaimer: I absolutely discourage anyone from attempting to repair any electrical device where doing so yourself is illegal. That said, it is completely acceptable and legal to do so in many jurisdictions. AS LONG AS YOU DO SO TO CODE. Don't even think about it if you have any questions or don't possess a basic understanding of electrical concepts. I'm not a licensed electrician, but I've done inside and outside house wiring for myself and others, built my own stereo and TV from kits (back when TVs used CRTs and high-voltage power supplies), and done many an appliance and electrical tool repair. So, I feel fairly confident I know what I'm doing and suspect many of you are equally competent, or even more so. More importantly, I have a healthy respect for where my skill level stops. I would never, for example, mess with anything on the supply side of a service panel.

Although dangerous, and you're certainly going to get a nasty surprise, 110V AC in the US at a wall socket is unlikely to kill you unless you have an underlying cardiac issue. Otherwise, there'd be a lot more dead people who had grabbed a partially inserted plug by the prongs. Sparks and/or resulting fire from a short circuit are the far greater risk. I can't speak to 220/240V overseas, but my guess is the risk is similarly limited. Actual hazard is more a function of the amperage your body absorbs and how/where the current traverses your body, than strictly voltage. A Tesla coil, for example, can easily be upwards of 100KV and will make your hair stand on end from the generated electrical field, but it's relatively safe because the amperage is so low. Conversely, arc welders typically operate at a lower voltage at the business end, but are quite dangerous due to the available amperage which is sufficient to melt metal.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm pretty much a believer that knowledge is better than ignorance, and the truly curious or foolhardy are going to experiment whether I post something on the Internet or not. Be careful, be smart, and know your limits.

- MR

Edited by user 06 November 2023 20:34:27(UTC)  | Reason: clarity, spelling error

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mountainroads