Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2016 03:02:01(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have read here that some people use their worst engine for testing their track for good power supply.

My 3080 is mine and it runs very erraticallyConfused . You can even see sparks coming from the rear wheel on occasions. It suggests to me that the wheels are not properly conducting current to the motor. Has any one else had an engine with that problem. There doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong except it is rather warn. Your can see the idler gear between the 2 front wheels wobbling around. Brushes appear to be ok.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Pmare4  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2016 03:46:35(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
I have a 3078 diesel with the same problem. I solved it by replacing the traction tires - the sparks were caused by a rear wheel with a missing traction tire making poor contact.

As for the wobbly gear, I think that its axle has worn its hole out to an oval shape.
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline dominator  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2016 08:41:06(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Peter, mine has what appear to be good tyres on it. One would think the other 4 wheels would make enough contact. I haven't fully looked at the problem yet because i cant see an obvious fault. The engine has always done this even though the tracks have been cleaned. And after all, it is only a test loco. I might fasten an earth wire to it and hard wire it to the circuit somewhere to see if that cures the problem. [ 24 hours absence from the railway sometimes does allow inspiration. ]

Dereck
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2016 09:08:59(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Eureka. I hit the nail on the head. I attached a wire from the earth on the tranny to the top of the loco and it ran round the circuit without hesitation on low power. I might bother to fix it one day unless someone has fixed this problem before and can let me know what to do.
Dereck. Amazing what an afternoons yacht racing will do to invigorate the mind. Might have been the rum though .
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2016 09:21:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
...Amazing what an afternoons yacht racing will do to invigorate the mind. Might have been the rum though .

Must have been the rum.. Gee I would have thought that it was still too cold down there for sailing..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2016 14:34:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Peter, mine has what appear to be good tyres on it. One would think the other 4 wheels would make enough contact. I haven't fully looked at the problem yet because i cant see an obvious fault. The engine has always done this even though the tracks have been cleaned. And after all, it is only a test loco. I might fasten an earth wire to it and hard wire it to the circuit somewhere to see if that cures the problem. [ 24 hours absence from the railway sometimes does allow inspiration. ]

Dereck

If you have a gear that is that wobbly then I suspect the bearings that the axles ride in are probably very worn and not making good contact. I don't know off any spare parts for those bearings, short of getting a new chassis casting or making ones own. On this basis unless you have the ability or know someone that could the machining then I think it is doomed to be a shelf queen in the not too distant future.

Still it has obviously had a long and happy life giving much pleasure to people, so it is probably time to allow it to retire.

Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 11 September 2016 23:16:10(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Kiwi , thanks for that. I have a lathe and have made oversize axles for locos before. Something to think about and work on later. {i have to do it now jut to prove we were right ]

Adrian. No not too cold. But remember, cold air is more dense, hence more power. I had to have my sailing jacket on though to stop the wind chill. An interesting day, as we broke the kicker just before the start of the race and had to quickly jemmy up the original rope system in time for the race.

Dereck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2016 10:19:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Dereck

If you have a gear that is that wobbly then I suspect the bearings that the axles ride in are probably very worn and not making good contact. I don't know off any spare parts for those bearings, short of getting a new chassis casting or making ones own. On this basis unless you have the ability or know someone that could the machining then I think it is doomed to be a shelf queen in the not too distant future.

Still it has obviously had a long and happy life giving much pleasure to people, so it is probably time to allow it to retire.

The bushing used to be available as a spare part, I'm not sure if the number has changed but it was 20025. It comes as a solid bushing which you will need to drill/ream out for the axle

Sorry that they are blurry, the forum software resizes them larger than is correct for best viewing....

20025-new.jpg20025-2.jpg20025.jpg

Here's what it looks like showing the wear that can happen, the two below the motor are most worn from the weight. This will also be aggravated from poor cleaning and lubrication. Remember that oil not only lubricates but should also 'capture' the fine metal filings and draw them away from the wearing surface.

chassis-bushing_wear.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline dominator  
#9 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:11:38(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Pulled it apart last night. The rubber tyred axle measured 96 thou and the other 2 measured 98 thou. Bored out the front and rear bushes to 106 thou and the middle one to 103 thou,. That could mean that when I make new axles, the gears might be 3- 6 thou closer together so that wont cause a problem with the wear that is there.. Easier to make and fit new axles than to buy, bore and fit new bushes. It is time consuming though and not worth doing if you have to pay someone to do it. Just another side to my hobby. My bushes didn't look anywhere as bad as the bushes in the picture above.
Dereck

ps Why 2 sizes?? Well, if I stuff up one and go too farCrying , Ii can make it to fit the smaller bush { hopefullyCool } . [ I am only an amateur machinistFlapper ]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 15 September 2016 11:55:01(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Fixed, and now I cant say its my worst engine. It has not lights so maybe it deserves some direction changing LED's. I wonder if this can be done with analogue loco,s??

Thanks Allan. You were right, so I had to fix it.BigGrin .

Dereck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Pmare4  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2016 22:21:57(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Dereck,

You can set up your DHG with "Trickschaltung." For this, you have to unsolder the bulbs and resolder them to 2 contacts on the reverse unit that you can see below:

DHG LIGHT.PNG

If the front bulb lights up in reverse, simply change the connections over.
Peter
Offline dominator  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2016 22:47:19(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Peter, I have a 3001 that someone has done that to. The bulbs don't glow brightly, but I READ SOMEWHERE THAT is the result of running the lights through the reverse unit.????[ cant remember exactly ]

This 3080 never had lights in the first place,. It is a pretty basic model. It has holes where the light diffuser was fitted. I was wondering if LED's could be fitted like my 37645 which has really bright little LED's. Does anyone know where I can get them, and also know how I can wire them up safely so that don't get fried with the reversing pulse.

I would also like to replace the bulbs in the 4001 with LED's, to get rid of the dull lights
Dereck
Offline Pmare4  
#13 Posted : 16 September 2016 00:16:28(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Since the 3080 is really the same as the 3078, you could probably use the lighting parts from the 3078.

The 3001 actually has directional lighting as factory fitted, and, if I remember correctly, the 3039 E10 also had directional lighting in the first version.

This link has some diagrams about how to use LEDs: http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=108179

Peter
Offline dominator  
#14 Posted : 16 September 2016 08:22:17(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks Peter. I will check this out. "I think" my Locos are the 800 series version of the 3001, and originally had lights that may have had both ends working all the time.
Dereck