Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Fernando Perez  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2016 01:45:16(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Hi marklin fellows

I have a question regarding to my layout. Which is big to be inside of the house, but very small compared with what I see posted from other members .

I have a 300 cm long by 160 cm wide C track layout with turn out decoders and home semaphores and signals controlled by a CS2.

My question is. Do I need a bus wiring for that?, because I read that is recommended every 2.5 metres to have a feeder, to avoid loosing power on locos.

Thanks guys for your help.

Fernando
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2016 17:31:44(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
The recommendation is for track length. So for your layout you need to calculate your track length that you have in that space. A simple loop will be 300 x 2 + 160 x 2 or approx. 920 cm long. This is 9.2 m which would indicate that you should have 4 feeder wires. So yes a bus wire is warranted.

Cheers
Peter
Offline Fernando Perez  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2016 01:03:29(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Thank you Peter

The track length definitely is over 15 m. I was thinking to use 12awg for the Bus wiring and probably 18 or 22 gauge for feeder wires.
Do you have any other suggestion for that?

Thanks again Peter

Regards

Fernando
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2016 02:51:10(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Fernando,

12 AWG would be more than fine for your bus wire.

Unless you have to have very long feeder wires, more than 1 m,
I would not recommend thicker feeder wire than 22 AWG, as they would tend to push the tracks. This would be an issue if you want the feeder wires to be hidden underneath the tracks.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2016 16:09:58(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Fernando Perez Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Peter

The track length definitely is over 15 m. I was thinking to use 12awg for the Bus wiring and probably 18 or 22 gauge for feeder wires.
Do you have any other suggestion for that?

Thanks again Peter

Regards

Fernando

Fernando,

I use standard house wiring cable as my bus cable. In my case I use 3c#14 or 2c#14 cable as the bus and take off the feeders with 22AWG stranded wires.

Cheers
Peter
Offline Fernando Perez  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2016 01:53:23(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Thanks Guys for the information provided. The length of the tracks is about 32 m. So I will use your suggestions to work with.
I never heard to use a standard house wiring for the bus Peter. Probably is a cheap alternative. What I find out that some people use twisted thick wires like 12 gauge for it.
I like the idea of standard house wires, the cost of it is considerably less than 12 gauge wires.

Thanks you all

Fernando
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2016 07:09:57(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Guys for the information provided. The length of the tracks is about 32 m. So I will use your suggestions to work with.
I never heard to use a standard house wiring for the bus Peter. Probably is a cheap alternative. What I find out that some people use twisted thick wires like 12 gauge for it.
I like the idea of standard house wires, the cost of it is considerably less than 12 gauge wires.

Thanks you all

Fernando

Here is a photo of my house wire bus going to a distribution junction and then off to coloured terminal blocks for the feeder wire connections. This is an old photo from a previous thread of about 2 years ago.

Bus cable

Cheers
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Fernando Perez  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2016 02:31:14(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Thank you Peter

That is awesome. The picture is very clear. Definitely I'll do the same with my layout. I was ready to go to buy 12 gauge wire, but I will save some money with the house cable that I have plenty.

I will appreciate if you can share some more information about your track wiring.

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Fernando
Offline malsnake  
#9 Posted : 23 November 2016 17:57:19(UTC)
malsnake

United States   
Peter, where did you get those red and brown blocks for the plugs? I like those much better than Marklins.

Here is a photo of my house wire bus going to a distribution junction and then off to coloured terminal blocks for the feeder wire connections. This is an old photo from a previous thread of about 2 years ago.

Bus cable

Cheers
Peter

Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 23 November 2016 18:08:39(UTC)
Webmaster

Was just about to ask the same question regarding the blocks... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline PMPeter  
#11 Posted : 23 November 2016 18:20:11(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: malsnake Go to Quoted Post
Peter, where did you get those red and brown blocks for the plugs? I like those much better than Marklins.

Bus cable

Cheers
Peter

The yellow, brown, and red distribution blocks are all Viessmann blocks numbers 6842-6844.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 23 November 2016 19:42:17(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I agree with Peter.

here are also some connectors that will make your life easy:
http://layout.mixmox.com/1/20020224Wiretaps
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline MalinAC  
#13 Posted : 23 November 2016 20:09:23(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I used a couple of those brown junction strips but had a terrible time getting the old type Marklin plugs to fit and stay in . In the end I went back to the Marklin ones
Offline PMPeter  
#14 Posted : 23 November 2016 21:28:00(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
I used a couple of those brown junction strips but had a terrible time getting the old type Marklin plugs to fit and stay in . In the end I went back to the Marklin ones

I agree that if you take brand new old style Marklin plugs they fit too loosely and fall out. The trick is to spread the plug prongs slightly by inserting a hobby knife blade at the tip in each direction. This makes a snug fit and the plugs generally become harder to pull out let alone being prone to falling out. In 3 years I have had one plug fall out after using this method. It ended up having a broken prong.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline garben  
#15 Posted : 30 November 2016 19:40:51(UTC)
garben

United States   
Hello,

I'm working on designing the electrical for my layout. Basic question, do I connect the leads (red and brown) from my cs2 directly to the bus wires for the power and ground, then run feeder to B and O on tracks at specific intervals? Is that the basic idea?

Are there any wiring diagrams out there that you know of?

Thanks.
Offline PMPeter  
#16 Posted : 30 November 2016 22:00:45(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'm working on designing the electrical for my layout. Basic question, do I connect the leads (red and brown) from my cs2 directly to the bus wires for the power and ground, then run feeder to B and O on tracks at specific intervals? Is that the basic idea?

Are there any wiring diagrams out there that you know of?

Thanks.

That is basically it. The heavier gauge bus wire gets connected to the CS2 track power connector (not the programming track connector) and then you run the bus around your layout and drop leads to either terminal strips for further distribution to tracks or tap off directly with smaller gauge feeder wired for the track at the recommended intervals.

My photos further back in this thread show the terminal strip method. I run left over 14 AWG house wire around my layout and terminate the 5 conductors and 2 grounds in standard house outlet boxes with 6 binding posts to distribute the power to the terminal strips. From the brown and red terminals I feed my track with 18 AWG wire. From the white terminals I feed my catenary and from the yellow and brown I feed my lighting through fused terminals.

Cheers
Peter
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 01 December 2016 05:15:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi marklin fellows

I have a question regarding to my layout. Which is big to be inside of the house, but very small compared with what I see posted from other members .

I have a 300 cm long by 160 cm wide C track layout with turn out decoders and home semaphores and signals controlled by a CS2.

My question is. Do I need a bus wiring for that?, because I read that is recommended every 2.5 metres to have a feeder, to avoid loosing power on locos.

Thanks guys for your help.

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

although it is in German, but may be you have a look here, please.

Cabeling from Maerklin

or here

Cabeling a layout in gauge N

I think the pictures helps you too (as they did for me).

Or perhaps BigdaddyNZ may help. He knows quite often where you find these articles from Maerklin in English. Sorry, my German Google does not help me.

But you know the Maerklin download area?
http://www.maerklin.de/d...men-specials-und-serien/

regards

TEEWolf
Offline garben  
#18 Posted : 01 December 2016 22:16:35(UTC)
garben

United States   
Thanks TEEWolf. A picture is worth a thousand words!
Very helpful.