Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2015 02:43:50(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Well, I thought I could use the K tracks for 2 rail DC the way I use the DC tracks from Walthers.

I was advised that because the K tracks are insulated, I could do this, at least that is what I understood. The objective was to use one K track layout for both 2 rail DC and 3 rail Marklin, one at a time.

I went to my local Marklin dealer who provided me with all the many articles I needed.

I then went home and connected my DC transformer to the Marklin K feeder track no. 2290. I put a Hornby loco on it, a 2 rail DC loco. Niente, nada, nothing, it would not move. I then used another K feeder track no. 2290, just in case the first one was defective. Same negative result.

Of course when I used regular Walthers 2 rail track, the loco moved just fine.

So, I ask: Was I wrong in thinking I could use the Marklin K track for 2 rail DC? Or is there some other step I should have taken before linking the transformer to the K track?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Mad
Offline rorosha  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2015 04:02:14(UTC)
rorosha

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Well, I thought I could use the K tracks for 2 rail DC the way I use the DC tracks from Walthers.

I was advised that because the K tracks are insulated, I could do this, at least that is what I understood. The objective was to use one K track layout for both 2 rail DC and 3 rail Marklin, one at a time.

I went to my local Marklin dealer who provided me with all the many articles I needed.

I then went home and connected my DC transformer to the Marklin K feeder track no. 2290. I put a Hornby loco on it, a 2 rail DC loco. Niente, nada, nothing, it would not move. I then used another K feeder track no. 2290, just in case the first one was defective. Same negative result.

Of course when I used regular Walthers 2 rail track, the loco moved just fine.

So, I ask: Was I wrong in thinking I could use the Marklin K track for 2 rail DC? Or is there some other step I should have taken before linking the transformer to the K track?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Mad

The 2290 feeder track is a three rail feeder track. It shorts the two outer rails together. Replace it with a piece of regular track, and find another way to connect to the rails. Also, if you have any Märklin turnouts, you'll need to make sure they do not internally connect the two outer rails. Because of turnout construction, they will give you problems.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rorosha
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2015 04:28:00(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Rorosha, you are a genius! ThumpUp

After I read your post, I did just as you said: I took two pieces of straight track, joined them together to have a bit more of a run and I attached to each side one of the wires that came out of the transformer. The best way to attach each wire was to to use the long side, where the joiner protrudes.

Once I did that, voila' the Hornby loco moved nicely. OhMyGod

Thanks again. BigGrin
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2015 04:59:24(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Well, I can advise that I did the simplest thing possible in order to attach the transformer to the layout: I used a DC feeder track from Life Like and connected it to a straight K track. It worked like a charm.

In addition, I tried turnout no. 22715, as was suggested to me by someone on an Italian Forum, and it worked very nicely, no short.

Result, I can now PLAY! The dream of having both DC 2 rail and Marklin 3 rail on the same layout is becoming a reality.ThumpUp

I will advise further in due course.

Again, thanks Rorosha. BigGrin
Offline rorosha  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2015 05:02:55(UTC)
rorosha

Rorosha, you are a genius! ThumpUp

After I read your post, I did just as you said: I took two pieces of straight track, joined them together to have a bit more of a run and I attached to each side one of the wires that came out of the transformer. The best way to attach each wire was to to use the long side, where the joiner protrudes.

Once I did that, voila' the Hornby loco moved nicely. OhMyGod

Thanks again. BigGrin

You're welcome. And, now the matter of my consulting fee...
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2015 07:58:01(UTC)
H0

I then went home and connected my DC transformer to the Marklin K feeder track no. 2290.
I wrote in that other thread about the same topic that the feeder track cannot be used.

But this way the learning effect will be stronger. LOL

https://www.marklin-user...ible-K-tracks#post492867

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2015 09:20:34(UTC)
Goofy

Why to use K tracks as 2 rail?
You have other brands which are similar as prototype.
Tillig elite...Peco...Weinert etc.
Pictures from my layout...It´s Tillig elite code 83.

DSC_0009_117.JPGDSC_0010_118.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2015 09:33:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Where are the centre-rail studs with your track?
He wants to use K track for alternating two-rail and three-rail operation. K track and C track are simple solutions for that.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2015 09:45:07(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Where are the centre-rail studs with your track?
He wants to use K track for alternating two-rail and three-rail operation. K track and C track are simple solutions for that.

That is an problem by use turnouts.
He must then in case modified turnouts,to avoid short circuits.
H0
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2015 10:44:16(UTC)
H0

Depends on the type of turnouts - we discussed that in the other thread already.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2015 10:55:53(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Depends on the type of turnouts - we discussed that in the other thread already.

With C turnouts,you must avoid short circuit,when there is metal frog.
The metal frog must been isolated from the rails,if you use two rail.
The metal frog must also been polarity + or -,when you change the rail tongue.
With the K turnouts,it´s okey so long there is plastic frog.
But problem for the short locomotives,which stop at the turnout by drive slow speed.
H0
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2015 13:36:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
You are absolutely right, HO, you did warn me and I did forget! Yes, I will never forget the experience. Thanks again. BigGrin

The turnout 22715 worked fine, no short.
Offline mrmarklin  
#13 Posted : 16 July 2015 20:46:54(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
You are absolutely right, HO, you did warn me and I did forget! Yes, I will never forget the experience. Thanks again. BigGrin

The turnout 22715 worked fine, no short.

The small radius turnouts are not isolated and will not work for DC

On the ETE modules we have been running both DC and AC on K track since the 80s. BigGrin
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline baggio  
#14 Posted : 17 July 2015 14:15:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Mr. Marklin, can you explain what "ETE" is?

There is some interest expressed in another thread about creating an ETE Canadain chapter.

Thanks.
Offline baggio  
#15 Posted : 18 July 2015 04:17:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I was still unable to park one train on one side and another one on the other side of the oval. I spoke to Mike at the local Marklin store and he showed me a little package no. 2295 that contains two small pieces of track with a cut on one side, on one of the ties. It also has two little "pins" where I can put in DC current if I want to. I do not need to do that for now, so I did not use it.

When I went home and looked at the 2295 two little tracks, I really thought it could not possibly work.

I mean, there was no switch, just a permanent break about half-way down one of the two ties. I thought perhaps I did not make myself clear when I spoke to Mike.

Anyway, just for the "fun" of it, I decided to try it, since I had nothing to lose.

To my absolute astonishment, it works great. I don't even need a switch to shut off the power to the tracks.

Now I can park both types of locos with wagons attached and just decide which one to run on the layout.

In fact, I can run them both at the same time, provided I keep the Marklin "south" of the division point.

I am thoroughly confused as how this is possible, but love it nonetheless.

Is there anyone out there smart enough that can explain to me how this is possible?

Thanks.