Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Webmaster  
#51 Posted : 07 February 2014 20:51:36(UTC)
Webmaster

Please don't start yet another discussion about 3-pole vs 5-pole, we've beaten that horse to death by now in several topics!!!
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kbvrod  
#52 Posted : 07 February 2014 20:56:29(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Please don't start yet another discussion about 3-pole vs 5-pole, we've beaten that horse to death by now in several topics!!!

Lock it big guy!BigGrin

Now someone buy the darn thing and test it! Laugh

Dr Dirt
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline mbarreto  
#53 Posted : 07 February 2014 22:02:03(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Juhan briefly mentioned about Marklin BR18.1....
It was introduced in 1988 --- close to the dawn of the real digital MRR age --- so naturally, some issue with electronic packaging...

But can you say that Marklin BR18.1 is not a beautiful model?

I think it's got all its ingredients, and the whole package is perfect -- although it was quite expensive for Marklin to make at a time...
True, it has no smoke generator, but that besides the point.
This is still a very modern design, highly detailed, and with the right decoder, its Faulhaber motor completes the whole package.
It was just so ahead of its time.......

Sorry for this off-topic post...

This (the 3511) was what made me come back to the hobby when I bought it used in the mid-90's... This model set a new
standard of how Märklin "should be" for me... I had bought a 3000 starter set and brought my old trains from my childhood
for my son to play with, and I thought it was fun to see the trains run. After some additions to my son's roster, I bought the
3511 + a 4228 Rheingold set for myself and then I was hooked myself by the quality & silent running of the 3511...
Never looked back since then, and when I discovered Digital in 1996-1997 (bought a 6021 + 6051) I was really hooked...
This lead to this site being put online as an experiment in late 1998, and the forum start in 2001...

I have an elephant-eared Delta BR41 from a starter set that is waiting to be upgraded to the latest standards... Wink

Still a bit out of topic Blushing

The C is magic, ageless and time doesn't exist where it is!

Thanks for sharing how you restarted. I really liked read it.

Edit: The elephant-eared is more that fun toy :)
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#54 Posted : 07 February 2014 22:32:37(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   

The topic is clearly titled "2014 item 37923 will have 3-pole again".

The way that Steventrain presented his discussion was in two statements

1. The response he got from Marklin on what type of motor was fitted to the 37923
2. The fact that he intended not to buy that model.

He didn't offer any opinion; he didn't link those statements together.

Those posters that don't want to discuss 3-pole motors and/or the 37923 model can choose not to read these posts and go and read something else.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline mrmarklin  
#55 Posted : 07 February 2014 22:38:16(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Notice that the explanation gives no information on the number of poles.

BigGrin

I wouldn´t saying like that!
The number of star equal as totally poles of the motor.
When Märklin did introduced new 5 pole analog motor in serie 35...,they did meaned as high power motor.
So it was information on the number of poles.

I repeat, the information Marklin gives on their information page makes no mention of the number of poles for this icon. Read it!

http://www.maerklin.com/...ten.html?sCountryCode=en

The icon for 5 pole motor is a different one, and has been used recently for Z scale.

I agree that originally the symbol was meant to show that the motor had been upgraded to 5 pole, but Marklin have always been careful to describe the propulsion as "5 star", not "5-pole".

Even from the beginning it has been described as 5 Star propulsion.

I think we can take this to mean the "best".............as in a 5 Star hotel!BigGrin
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline TimR  
#56 Posted : 08 February 2014 06:35:52(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

I agree that originally the symbol was meant to show that the motor had been upgraded to 5 pole, but Marklin have always been careful to describe the propulsion as "5 star", not "5-pole".

Ray,
I agree with you that the 5-star symbol never actually meant 5-pole.... at least in description...

As I wrote above, I think the symbol was originally meant to highlight that the model has early Digital system -- and the 5-star itself is related to the fact that most of Marklin models at the time, were DCM 5-polers. You can check models like 37880 or 37572.
I think that symbol also act to differentiate that the DELTA models that were sold at the time was 3-poler w/reversing unit.

For most people who are not yet well-stuffed with Marklin jargons, and descriptions,
it will only be natural for them to assume the 5-star symbol equals 5-poler DCM.

Besides, the current 5-star symbol has several redundant points in description, largely made irrelevant due to the introduction of FX and MFX symbol:
  • Maximum speed and acceleration/delay are adjustable.
  • One controllable auxiliary function, when the locomotive is being run in Digital system

Sounds very 1990s.....

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Even from the beginning it has been described as 5 Star propulsion.

I think we can take this to mean the "best".............as in a 5 Star hotel!

Locos with bell-shaped armature, and the venerable DCM 5-polers probably deserve to be considered into 5-star treatment.
Models with Faulhaber/Maxxon/Althonix motors are competitive to SDS in refinement (SDS is still a tad better, IMO),
whereas DCM is always widely renown for longetivity, superior pulling power, and represent the Tradition philosophy of Marklin.

Now the new 3-poler only wins vs both types motor in one thing only --- cheaper, and not much else.
Otherwise, it is by default, inferior to both types of motor.

Hence, we're back to the original argument ===> 5-star symbol to be put on the 3-poler-standard motor is misleading.

What about a new 3-star symbol?
That seemed more appropriate for every model with the new motor, Marklin's newest inaguruated bride.

Like the standard hotel rating,
it should represent better value for money (For Marklin, but not for us, since RRP remains the same),
less number of available amenities (less number of poles),
and probably also not as caretaking service from management as you would expect from a 5-star hotel...
(Questionable reliability, questionable stock in the warehouse, likely to be replaced if customers avoid it)..
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline river6109  
#57 Posted : 08 February 2014 07:16:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I've just looked up Märklin.de and the locos description shows what I believe has the form and shape of a five star armature and this is what I've associated the symbol with.

If it is correct, the loco has been produced with a 3 pole motor, I would personally assume it has a five pole motor looking at the data sheet's details.

If I remember correctly there was a similar error (if this is the case in this instance) with a SBB Ae 8/14 loco Märklin bought out (37951) and it actually had a C-Sine motor. I could be wrong),

is it a typing error again ?

regards.

John

John,

The AE 8/14 you are referring to is 37591 which was an MHI item and has two 5 pole DCM Motors, also 37593 (the only one to appear it the 1999 & 2000 Catalogues) and 37596 with sounds more recently, and there were at least a couple more with two DCMs.

39590 in Machinery Green (2007 new items) had two SDS Motors as did 39591 in fictional Brown, a Swiss Dealer special of a couple of years ago

In the Marklin Database and the Catalogues, (for 37593 and 39590 only) where they appear, their descriptions are quite clear about what type of motor they came with, either 5 pole or SDS, so sorry your are wrong on this one

As I said I couldn't remember what was what but I did remember one loco in its original description had the wrong motor description but any how its no big deal and nobody at the time made any fuss about it.

I've just noticed the 5 pole motor didn't have a symbol of 5 poles but rather 5 stars, this was another thing I had in mind to have a closer look at it and at the time I didn't notice the difference and assumed it was a 5 pole symbol, well I'm wrong again, sort off, after all this I can't see anywhere and I must agree with Ray there has never been a direct link between the symbol and the description of the loco it has always been described as high efficiency motor never as a 5 pole motor but as I and others always assumed it was and to a certain extend it was automatically linked by me as a 5 pole motor, comparing it with a 5 star hotel has some merit but what did Märklin actually mean by 5 stars and was it a coincidence by readers to assume, yes this has 5 stars its a 5 pole motor and the symbol definitely corresponded with locos made with 5 pole motors.

I've just written an email to Märklin and asked them to clarify the 5 star symbol in relation to the 5 pole motor and the direct link from a 5 star symbol to a 3 pole motor with a question mark regarding the performance of a 3 pole motor and its existing linked decoder and therefore would they say is it a fair assessment to link the 5 star symbol to a 3 pole motor and I've asked to reply with an honest answer.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#58 Posted : 08 February 2014 09:20:14(UTC)
Goofy

I repeat, the information Marklin gives on their information page makes no mention of the number of poles for this icon. Read it!

http://www.maerklin.com/...ten.html?sCountryCode=en

The icon for 5 pole motor is a different one, and has been used recently for Z scale.

Wrong!
The 5 star symbol was for the 5 pole motor in serie 35..!

By the way about model BR41 with 3 pole motor...i´m glad that Steven did present good information,so others member knows the truth about motor in the BR41.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline GLI  
#59 Posted : 08 February 2014 12:55:10(UTC)
GLI

Hi all

I was interested to read our Webmasers account of how he returned to Marklin, as it is similar to my own expetience. In the 1980's, I lost interest in Marklin because their models were less detailed than those being produced by Roco and Fleischman, and as for the 3 pole DCM, well there was no comparison to the motors being used by Roco and Fleischman, even if they were 3 pole.

That all changed with the release of the Wurtemburg C and as funds were available, I have purchased various Marklin locos over the years. Unfortunately, I was caught in 2013 as two of the locos I preordered are fitted with 3 pole motors (no doubt cheap krap made in China). I will now have to go to the expense and inconvenience of finding, purchasing and installing replacement motors in these locos. I will not be caught again, and will not be preordering any locos this year unless I am confident they will not have 3 pole motors. I will only purchase Marklin locos with 3 pole motors in future if I want particularly want the model, but I will have to factor in the expense of replacing it with replacement 5 pole motor preferably from Faulhauber of Maxxon.

One or two members have commented that Marklin “ know what they are doing”. They certainly do. They have changed the policy of introducing new models with high quality motors and mechanisms and by stealth are now manufacturing models with inferior motors and mechanisms without telling their customers (that's us) of the change. Fortunately, Marklin's actions have been exposed. The whole matter reflects poorly on Marklin's integrity and I hope this will be reflected in a drop in preorders and sales this year.This is the only way they will get the message that many of their customers are not happy.

As for me, I will, as other members have commented, have to confine myself primarily to filling gaps in my collection by purchasing qaulity Marklin products on the second hand market.

Geoff

PS: I now have 5 Wurtemburg C Klasse locos. Four are fitted with ESU Lokpilot 3 or 4 decoders and run very well. The fifth is sitting on my desk waiting to be fitted with a decoder.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by GLI
Offline Hoffmann  
#60 Posted : 08 February 2014 14:47:10(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

HI Folks,

Keep bad mouthing that BR 41 and soon I will be able to afford one since Dealers will sell them at rock bottom Prices.

And I am sure I will be very happy with that Purchase.

P.S. Has anyone here have one of these Locomotives or are you all just speculatingBlink

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline biedmatt  
#61 Posted : 08 February 2014 16:14:49(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Martin, I wouldn't call if speculation. Marklin themselves have stated it will be a three pole motor. Tom has tested several lokos and demonstrated that the current Marklin decoder, especially with a three pole motor, does not run as well as a Marklin three pole motor with an ESU decoder. Nor does a current Marklin loko with a three pole motor run as well as an old Marklin loko with an OEM decoder from ESU. Nor a Marklin loko with the FX decoders from the Y2K decade. The information is at this site, his testing was no secret. Has Marklin released a new and improved decoder these past few days able to control a three pole motor as well as their prior models did with a five pole motor? The proof is in the pudding. At this time their recipe is defective. Their current decoders paired with three pole motors do not run as well as their previous products. This is not speculation, it is proven with facts and statistics. The only way it could be speculation with this one model would be to change the mechanics. We already understand how the current decoders and three pole motors run. I do not believe any advancements in the mechanics of the loko have occurred. Surely we would have several catalog pages proclaiming near and far those improvements if and when they occur. Some do not care that they run worse than the previous offerings. To each their own. I do care. Like Steven, I will vote with my wallet. No, I no longer have any interest in 37924. When I am deceived with smoke and mirrors, I can no longer support that company. Perhaps they will change their ways. But, I do not see blindly buying products that cost the same or more than their old products yet run worse will cause them to change. Only economic pressures will. If they go broke and collapse, then they go broke and collapse.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 08 February 2014 16:50:36(UTC)
H0

I don't know which decoder the BR 41 does have.
I don't know which motor the BR 41 does have.
And most important: I don't know how good they work together.

I bought some Märklin lemons in the last two years and they were bad for my happiness. I play it safe with my 2014 purchases.

It's one step forward that they admit the loco has a three-pole motor.
OTOH they didn't admit decoder problems publicly nor did they announce recent decoder improvements recently.

I'm looking forward to in-depth reviews of the new BR 41 from happy owners. No irony or sarcasm intended.
I really hope that all buyers of this loco will be happy with it. I just don't have the confidence to buy it myself.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Hoffmann  
#63 Posted : 08 February 2014 16:52:32(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Matt,

I do not care if Marklin goes broke or disappears however I do care when a few bad mouth a Product which is not even on the market today. It seems that a few people make it a crusade to

force a Company to change to their own liking. The Internet is a wonderful thing we get Information which are True / half True or not True at all and take it as the holy Gospel.

Tom which seems to be obsessed in trying to convince the whole World that 3 pol versus 5 pol is a bad thing has by his own account not purchased any of the New 2013/2014 locomotives.

I have been around Marklin Products for more then 60 years and Marklin just like any other MFG. has made some good some bad and some so so Items over the Years.

I personally think that the whole hullabaloo is about the Price of those Locomotives rather then the performance.

I wrote some time ago in this Forum that if you do not like a Product don't buy it however quit bitching about on and on as if your Life depends on it.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline H0  
#64 Posted : 08 February 2014 17:08:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Hoffmann Go to Quoted Post
Tom which seems to be obsessed in trying to convince the whole World that 3 pol versus 5 pol is a bad thing has by his own account not purchased any of the New 2013/2014 locomotives.
I have bought locos with 3-pole motor last year and I bought one loco with 3-pole motor this year. No problem if the loco runs well. I'm talking about locos from HAG and Piko ...

I buy what I consider good value for my money - just like anybody else.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline TimR  
#65 Posted : 08 February 2014 17:28:54(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
...... When I am deceived with smoke and mirrors, I can no longer support that company.
Perhaps they will change their ways.
But, I do not see blindly buying products that cost the same or more than their old products yet run worse will cause them to change.
Only economic pressures will. If they go broke and collapse, then they go broke and collapse.

I think you highlighted a very good point here. I felt the same way.

It was crushing to learn that Marklin had swoop down so low as to replace both SDS and bell-shaped armature motors with el-cheapos.

No, for me the 3-poler can motor is not the primary issue -- the main problem is the hush-hush way to do it...

.... I can only conclude that they are probably ashamed of those motors themselves, otherwise why try to cover it up?
Those new motors are definately el-cheapos out of nowhere that they found somewhere....

... Keen Marklin customers in the Stummi forum got in their case first and revealed what type of motor Marklin put in their new model. Now, they have no choice but to be honest about what type of motor they put in their model, when a customer like Steven asked them.

There is no way I can continue to support Marklin.
They have spectacularly betray their own reputation to make the best quality locomotive package, and then tried to cover it up....

Sure, they always had their issues here and there, but I was more likely to continue supporting them,
if I can see them remain committed to their philosophy and reputation.

They have NOT.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline biedmatt  
#66 Posted : 08 February 2014 17:34:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Tom has tested several lokos, published the raw data and statistics based on that data. If you decide these are half true or not true at all, then there is not much more to discuss. I do not know Tom personally, but I have no reason to not believe him. I can not point to any one situation where he intentionally or unintentionally mislead me. He has corrected mistakes I have posted and I am glad for the redirect. I only want accurate information published here. You may not agree with his motives or his method of presentation, I sometimes do not, but I challenge you to show me an instance when his facts were not correct.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Hoffmann  
#67 Posted : 08 February 2014 18:04:28(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Matt,

I never said that Tom's Data of his testing was not true. Believe me that I was just as surprised how bad those Locomotive where. However these where locomotives from 2011/2012 and have nothing to do with the Locomotive we are talking about here.
The issue here is what some call El Cheapo Motors which was well discussed in other Forums as well as here but no one knows which Motor will be in that BR41 if it is like I assumeConfused a Canon
Motor then they are certainly not cheap. Retail Price of the Shelf without modification about EURO 22.00.

Regards Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline kbvrod  
#68 Posted : 08 February 2014 18:13:25(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
A couple of questions if you don't mind,...

1) Who makes these motors?
2) Is this a marketing ploy by the new owners?
3) Will these motors be used by Trix?

So many questions,so little time,....Smile

Dr Dirt
Offline RayF  
#69 Posted : 08 February 2014 19:27:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't know why there is a huge smear campaign going on in this forum about products that have not even been seen yet.

Yes, Tom made some tests that show that a couple of his newer locos had inconsistent speed at speed step one. Sometimes the loco could go as much as twice as fast as other times (100% variation).

Most of you are bad mouthing these locos on this evidence. How many of you even noticed this inconsistent speed? Me, I rarely run them that slow, and when I do the difference between different locos slowest speed is much greater than the difference between when I run the same loco a second time, so why should I care, or even notice?

The locos run at about walking pace on speed step one, and that's what I want to see. Am I offended that the loco did a lap one time in two minutes ,and the next time in one? Do I have the patience or the inclination to sit there and time them?

Also a lot has been said about having cheaper motors for the same selling price of loco. This is actually not true. Most of the locos with the cheaper motors are considerably cheaper than the SDS versions. If you don't believe me go back and check. It's easy to keep repeating something until everyone assumes it's true. The locos that are more expensive are so because they now have other features, like MFX+, fitted smoke generator, Telex, etc.

I will stop participating in these discussions now, as it makes my blood boil to see such unfair criticism. If you don't want to buy Marklin, just don't, but don't make it a personal crusade to put everone off. I know that I will continue to buy, knowing that they will be as excellent as all the recent models I've bought from them, including several 3 pole motored locos last year.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline biedmatt  
#70 Posted : 08 February 2014 19:37:08(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Einstein describes insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. These are the same three pole motors we saw introduced last year. They are controlled by the same decoders we saw last year. Why should I expect different results when we have the same motors and decoders? The only difference is the loko it will be installed in. Did I miss the announcement describing new mechanics that improve the running characteristics of motors and decoders we are already familiar with?

When these run like crap, should I say "Oh well, next year the same decoders and motors will be better"? Please tell me what I am missing that is different from last year? Don't tell me I am wrong, tell me why I am wrong and why this will be better? Why should I gamble my money on a horse who's pedigree and track record I know all to well?
Matt
Era 3
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline steventrain  
#71 Posted : 08 February 2014 19:57:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Would like to lock the topic?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline TimR  
#72 Posted : 08 February 2014 20:08:03(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Einstein describes insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. These are the same three pole motors we saw introduced last year. They are controlled by the same decoders we saw last year. Why should I expect different results when we have the same motors and decoders? The only difference is the loko it will be installed in. Did I miss the announcement describing new mechanics that improve the running characteristics of motors and decoders we are already familiar with?

When these run like crap, should I say "Oh well, next year the same decoders and motors will be better"? Please tell me what I am missing that is different from last year? Don't tell me I am wrong, tell me why I am wrong and why this will be better? Why should I gamble my money on a horse who's pedigree and track record I know all to well?

That reminds me of that notice that Marklin delivered to their dealers some time ago...
It was posted here.

And here's what's been stated from Marklin:
Marklin wrote:
... we assure you once again that we will continue to pursue the strategy adopted in 2013 and give our products sufficient time to sell through in the marketplace.....

"sufficient time to sell through in the marketplace."

Instead of stating, "... continually improve our quality standards to improve our market position."
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline franciscohg  
#73 Posted : 08 February 2014 20:09:01(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Would like to lock the topic?

Yes please, and pre-lock everything with the "3" or "5" on it.......really getting a kind of tired......
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline TimR  
#74 Posted : 08 February 2014 20:22:30(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

I don't know why there is a huge smear campaign going on in this forum about products that have not even been seen yet.

Is there any previous release of the new BR41? -- Yes, this is an existing product. But the previous release has bell-shaped armature motor.

Did Marklin actually explained that the motor change to 3-pole can motor is to improve the quality of their model? -- No.

Did Marklin already put 3-pole motor quietly in a number of 2013 items? -- Yes. No explanation ever given.

Did they state it in the product description that it is a 3-poler? -- No.

Is there anything stated in the Marklin New Item brochure that the 3-pole can motor is their new standard motor? -- No.

Is the new standard motor perform better compared to 5-pole DCM, bell-shaped armature, or SDS?

--- I think given the above facts, it is highly unlikely, but I like to see more reviews / positive posts that praise this new 3-pole standard motor, and then prove our skeptical voices wrong.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
#75 Posted : 08 February 2014 20:29:29(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
A couple of questions if you don't mind,...

1) Who makes these motors?
2) Is this a marketing ploy by the new owners?

So many questions,so little time,....Smile

Dr Dirt

1) Who makes these motors? - CHINA! OhMyGod Scared Razz

2) Is this a marketing ploy by the new owners? Looks like the same marketing ploy from the old administration.

Manufacturer: Trix
Art.-No. 42507
Digital-Decoder: mfx
Motor Glockenanker
Manufacturer price: 1349,95 €

No sound?Confused
No mfx+ ?Confused
No desktop display thingy?Confused

(at this point, the High Expectation Police arrive and slap Mulldog senseless. He wanders off to be spoon-fed whatever they give him)

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline biedmatt  
#76 Posted : 08 February 2014 20:34:17(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

Hello Matt,

I never said that Tom's Data of his testing was not true. Believe me that I was just as surprised how bad those Locomotive where. However these where locomotives from 2011/2012 and have nothing to do with the Locomotive we are talking about here.

Regards Martin

Hi Martin, I must have misunderstood you then.

The issue here is what some call El Cheapo Motors which was well discussed in other Forums as well as here but no one knows which Motor will be in that BR41 if it is like I assumeConfused a Canon
Motor then they are certainly not cheap. Retail Price of the Shelf without modification about EURO 22.00.

Regards Martin

But we do know. Steven copied an answer from Marklin into the first post. He has titled the thread as "2014 item 37924 BR41 will have 3-pole again." The only three pole motor I am aware that is currently in Marklin's product line is the same one we started to see last year. This is now described by Marklin as their "standard" motor. Again this info is from Steven's post #1.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#77 Posted : 08 February 2014 20:44:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
If we are going to lock threads because some members ask difficult questions, then what is the whole point of this website?

If I only wanted to read about how wonderful and magnificent mother Marklin is, I would just go to their website and read their sales copy.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline mbarreto  
#78 Posted : 09 February 2014 00:10:41(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Maybe threads affected by the multipole syndrome should have a special mark in the heading... LOL
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline franciscohg  
#79 Posted : 09 February 2014 01:00:28(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes, thing is that practically every topic is now contamined by that syndrome......
BTW, since they were mentioned, i took a little tour over the Maxxon motors page.....i think i understand why they are not widely used in toy trains
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mbarreto  
#80 Posted : 09 February 2014 01:13:10(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Yes, thing is that practically every topic is now contamined by that syndrome......
BTW, since they were mentioned, i took a little tour over the Maxxon motors page.....i think i understand why they are not widely used in toy trains

Yes, the list price is impressive, but in big quantities they are much cheaper I am sure.

M can always use 2 standard motors and the loco will have 6 poles... BigGrin

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline franciscohg  
#81 Posted : 09 February 2014 01:28:11(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Perhaps M should do as car sellers.....
37xxx : cheap motor
37xxxsi : premium motor

And let the consumer decide
Offline Janne75  
#82 Posted : 09 February 2014 03:59:18(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

A bit offtopic, but I wanted to write this here:

My newer locos biggest running quality problems recently have been with two SDS motored Swiss Crocodiles 29680 = 39563 from 2007 (Märklin Mfx but only whistle sound) and 39565 from 2012 (Märklin full sounds Mfx) = both equipped with Märklin's original Mfx decoders. They run jerky. Also the other locomotive from that same starter set 29680 runs jerky (Ae 6/6 from 2007) equipped with Märklin's original Mfx full sound decoder and 5-pole DCM motor.

My older C-Sinus 39561 Crocodile (2001?) runs really smoothly (without Mfx) aswell as my newest black Crocodile 37567 (2013) with two motors and again Märklin Mfx full sound decoder. So there is quite a lot of variation in motor type and decoder type in these locomotives which runs jerky or not like you can see Blink ...

My 2013 Märklin weathered CFL 5609 model 37560 runs very good with it's original Märklin Mfx full sound decoder from the factory. I have not opened it so I don't know about the motor type, but I assume it is a traditional coffee grinder 5-pole DCM?

I want to say there are many models which I have with either can motors, 5-pole DCM motors or SDS motors where there is no problems at all in their running charasteristics = running quality. But again there is some which have these problems, but I don't own at the time a single one having problems with the CAN motor! For me it seems the problems are more Mfx decoder load control based problems and not the motor problems. The locos which have no problems at all (I mean motor + decoder combo with this) are either equipped from the factory with C-Sinus (C-Sine) or 5-pole DCM. Without Märklin Mfx. With 6090, 60901 or C-Sinus.

But (I will repeat myself) I would not pay the same price for the VERY SAME (no extra features available) locomotive if there is now can motor (maybe from China or maybe not, who knows?) vs. previous more expensive but not always better combo of motor + Mfx decoder.

And what I would like to say and this is offtopic for this thread (sorry Blushing ) is that we can always stop buying Märklin locos if we want and continue buying their other products. Märklin is not only about locomotives, is this true? RollEyes

What we all should try to do is to avoid hurting other forum members feelings with our (interesting in my opinion) discussions of new models 3-pole motors. I think at least RayF, Hoffmann and franciscohg have hurt their feelings. We don't want to be mean, we just want to discuss about Märklin's new way to not inform their customers (we!) about their new motors and/or some Mfx decoder problems...

I did that 210 hours long endurance test for my 29539 starter set can motored BR 81 and everything went okay! ThumpUp I don't complain about the 3-pole can motors here to be clear enough...

All the best and let's all just stay calm and take a drink. I drink just water Smile .

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline franciscohg  
#83 Posted : 09 February 2014 04:09:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Ohhhh Janne, thanks for your concern, i am not hurted.......my skin in thick enough......
But i am a little tired of reading pretty the same arguments ( on both sides ) in so many threads.......
Offline Janne75  
#84 Posted : 09 February 2014 04:30:12(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Ohhhh Janne, thanks for your concern, i am not hurted.......my skin in thick enough......
But i am a little tired of reading pretty the same arguments ( on both sides ) in so many threads.......

Hi,

Ok. I can fully understand you really, also RayF and Hoffmann. But I just know a solution how this 3-pole vs. 5-pole etc. would stop in many threads in the future. When Märklin will just clearly inform us about their locomotives motors. It is just enough and then after that we will not see (hopefully) more motor based or moving to motor based threads in the future.

People are very curious what they will get when they buy a new locomotive and this brings here much discussion.

For me everything is ok when Märklin just will publish their new symbol for these can motors and if there are premium ones and standard ones, then they could also publish another symbol for the premium (more pricey) one. And also I would like them to make always good test running for their new locomotives to be sure they run well with their Mfx decoders.

Everything else is ok for me about Märklin. My own decision is to not buy anymore new Märklin locomotives in 2014, but I don't want to say that anyone should not buy them. I will be very interested in some reviews of these new models as I have high faith in those can motors at least ThumpUp .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline TimR  
#85 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:00:13(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
Maybe threads affected by the multipole syndrome should have a special mark in the heading... LOL

Well, this thread's title has this written on it "... will have 3-pole again."
If this is not a clear enough special marking, then I'm confused..... LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline river6109  
#86 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:00:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Janne wrote:

My 2013 Märklin weathered CFL 5609 model 37560 runs very good with it's Mfx sound decoder from the factory. I have not opened it so I don't know about the motor type, but I assume it is a traditional coffee grinder 5-pole DCM?

Hey, Hey, traditional coffee grinder 5-pole DCM ?, all right I will not go into a debate if they are or not but at the same time, lets have a look why ? Märklin had a good idea of introducing a new concept of how your loco could run, to start of smoothly and brake slowly, that is fine and most of us have been impressed by it.
lets have a look at what is new: the permanent magnet, the armature but the brush plate hasn't been improved since it was introduced and the problem some modellers had with the motor not turning after a long period of lying idle.
Now my respond to problems like a brush plate or a motor has ceased (I'm sure Märklin has been aware of it for years as I have been) nothing has been done about to improve, to overcome, to acknowledge these problems. my solutions will not completely get rid of any excessive noise but at the same time I have been able to reduce the noise considerable.
and what happens we attach a name to this motor which in my opinion is not all fair for the only reason Märklin hasn't developed this motor to its next stage and this is, to slightly alter the brush plate assembly parts and to include 2 ball bearings (I've said it many times before).

John
Offline Janne75  
#87 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:15:57(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi John, all,

I did not mean your evolutions for this DCM 5-pole motor. And to be clear I don't find them to be too noisy even from the factory for my taste. I like their reliability, power and easy servicing. I just wrote that coffee grinder as some people use it here so I thought people will understand what I mean... Cool

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline TimR  
#88 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:17:02(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I've had enough of the too many anti-critical voices being posted in every thread where we try to discuss about this new 3-pole motor phenomenon peacefully...

Okay, this thread's title is "2014 new item 37923 BR41 will have 3-pole again."

I think this is already a clear enough marking that people will bemoaned the fact that Marklin had swapped the bell-shaped armature from 37921/2 with the new standard 3-pole motor.... (in my terms, I repeat, 3-pole doesn't matter -- they're el-cheapos!)

Previously, there had been suggestions made by the same people that critical discussions toward this subject should be confined to a few threads only.

Is this thread has no clear enough distinction that we're about to (in some ways) rephrase our disappointment towards Marklin's new (hush-hush) policy of downgrading model??

Now that we have threads like this, people who voiced their disappointments have to endure endless ranting from the anti-critical group,
"Why so much negativity?"

This is a ranting thread -- not a positive thread.

I think we, who voiced our critical opinion of the current Marklin policy, have the rights to discuss them.

Do not try to make us feel guilty if you were disappointed or felt hurt about what is being discussed here!

If you don't like 3-pole discussions, why did you bother to read this thread anyway? From the title, it is already clear where it's gonna go!

Members of users-net are not paid commissions from Marklin to publish positive news about them!

We have the right to praise Marklin if they did it right, or criticize them otherwise.

Enough said.

Edited by user 09 February 2014 18:51:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Janne75  
#89 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:27:08(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi once again,

I would like to add to TimR posting that we don't have anything against other members. All people have their own decisions and thoughts, opinions and so on....

We just want to discuss about their new motors, possible Mfx decoders and their very little information regarding these new motors to their customers.

Peace! Cool

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline NZMarklinist  
#90 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:27:42(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi All,

As i only have the 37927 as far as 41's go I am tempted by this old boiler version and it's MFX+ decoder.
I won't preorder it, as it doesn't seem as tho it's a limited item, and see if it ends up being reduced in price because of all this negative three pole talk Sneaky

Nobody has done a test of a three pole motor and mfx+ yet ??
An obvious answer to some of you would be the 37924 and a change to an ESU V4 decoder as I quite like the Wagner deflectors.

However I have spent quite a few hours this weekend testing my 37455 45.010 to see what her slow running characteristics are actually like, and I have made a video, lot's of therm actually, there's film from my Iphone all over the cutting room floor already ScaredWink but I have to take care of business now but will try and post the video early Monday morning NZtime GMT+13 Wink
That will be posted in the correct thread of course Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline river6109  
#91 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:35:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I may have a quite word with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and see if she has any knowledge of mobile telephone conversions within the Märklin establishment to ascertain what's going on. I've been sitting on this 3 pole for 4 days waiting for a new twist to emerge.BigGrin

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
#92 Posted : 09 February 2014 08:27:59(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
I've been sitting on this 3 pole for 4 days waiting for a new twist to emerge.BigGrin John

OhMyGod

OhMyGod

OhMyGod

Blink
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#93 Posted : 09 February 2014 12:05:18(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I like to describe decisions or actions that only hurt oneself as "Stepping on yourself". Whether you do or do not like the way the new "standard" motor and it's mated decoder function, the bottom line is Marklin have inflicted a serious wound to themselves. The new motor has not lowered the price of the product, so no new sales from an increased market share will come from this decision. Ray says they come with additional features. Perhaps they do, but MFX+ and telex versions of the close coupler that drops freight cars does not add value to me. Tim says they have betrayed their heritage and instead of offering continuing improvements to their product line, that they have now gone backwards. I agree with this assessment and will add that the way they implemented this change stinks of deception. They have increased profits on their lokos and have angered and hurt their customer base. They won't even get increased market share from this decision.

Many have commented that things are getting more negative around here. Perhaps they are, but others say no. What I do know is this decision implemented last year is the cause of most of the difficult discussions at this forum. So again, it can be traced directly to choices Marklin have made and how they plan to position themselves in the future. The discussions alone and nature of their tone reveals how hurt an angry people are by Marklin's choice. This is an expensive product line in an expensive hobby. Many have a vested interest in Marklin only because of how deeply they invested in Marklin. It's very bad when you piss off a large part of your customer base. Value for your money on a premium product is how you keep customers spending those big bucks.

I do not believe there is much more to be said about the new motors and the decoders to go with them. I will not take part in any further discussions on the topic. I will do the only significant thing I can do. I have scratched five 2014 release lokos from my want list. That leaves two freight car sets totaling 9 wagens. If they decide to go back to their roots and offer product improvements, then I will look closer again at their product line. If they go bust and fade away, I will feel bad for the loss of an old company with a proud heritage, but I will not regret the choice I have made. We almost lost Marklin before, so the next time won't be a big shock. You might even describe it as routine.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline franciscohg  
#94 Posted : 09 February 2014 12:11:31(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
So tempted........but I will shut my mouth for the sake oh harmony
Offline RayF  
#95 Posted : 09 February 2014 12:42:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I also, will refrain from commenting further.

By the way, my coffee grinder stopped working this morning. I think the stupid Chinese made 3 pole motor in it has burnt out. I had to use some pre-ground coffee for my breakfast.

Never mind, I'll buy a new one from a reputable brand that makes all it's products in Europe. What do you mean there's no such thing?....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#96 Posted : 09 February 2014 14:53:04(UTC)
H0

Also a lot has been said about having cheaper motors for the same selling price of loco. This is actually not true. Most of the locos with the cheaper motors are considerably cheaper than the SDS versions. If you don't believe me go back and check. It's easy to keep repeating something until everyone assumes it's true. The locos that are more expensive are so because they now have other features, like MFX+, fitted smoke generator, Telex, etc.
V 200 got cheaper by € 50 without SDS. GG-1 got cheaper by € 100 when it lost the motor with bell-shaped armature. Big Boy didn't get cheaper, but also lost the motor with bell-shaped armature (and some of its smoothness and quietness).

ES 64 U2: 39837 with SDS and 3 pantographs: € 299.95; 39840 without SDS and with 2 pantographs: € 299.95
ES 64 F4: 39890 with SDS : € 299.95; 39860 without SDS: € 299.95
ES 64 F: 39342 with SDS: € 289.95 (back in 2008), 39850 with mfx+ but without SDS: 299.95
BR 218: 39180 with SDS: € 269.95, 37745 without SDS: € 269.95, 37764 with mfx+: € 299.95

Are locos with mfx+ generally more expensive?
No: BR 101: 37358 with mfx+: € 299.95, 39371 and 39372 without mfx: € 299.95
So the BR 218 with mfx+ is more expensive. But the Köf II 36819 is € 219.95 while the 36827 is only € 189.95. Märklin add € 30 to their prices from time to time (nothing wrong with that in general, inflation also affects Märklin).

BR 64: 39640 with SDS and mfx: € 299.95, 39644 with mfx+ but without SDS: € 329.95

The 37923 with 3-pole motor has the same RRP as the 37925 with bell-shaped armature. OK, mfx+ vs. mfx. But decoder is decoder and IMHO mfx+ does not justify a higher price.

I listed all the locos I have checked. Maybe I missed a few locos that got cheaper without SDS ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#97 Posted : 09 February 2014 15:02:35(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
But perhaps SDS became too expensive.....and to keep the price they needed to got a cheaper motor, those Maxon C-sine like motors are really expensive, even in bulk......

Ray, try a good cup of swiss made ( or licensed ) c.....p : NescafeBigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mrmarklin  
#98 Posted : 09 February 2014 17:31:16(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I may have a quite word with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and see if she has any knowledge of mobile telephone conversions within the Märklin establishment to ascertain what's going on. I've been sitting on this 3 pole for 4 days waiting for a new twist to emerge.BigGrin

John

I think you might more properly direct your inquiries to President Obama and the NSA here in the US. They do all the spying.Flapper

Maybe I have a new twist: I have the new BR 45 which I believe has the "horrid" 3 pole motor. I also recently acquired a new E10 weathered model with the same motor.

I haven't done any sophisticated measuring, but they both run very well: quiet and smooth. The only comment I would have is that both motors start and stop very abruptly, but this is easily regulated with the MFX system.

I guess, all things being equal 5 poles are better than three, but in the REAL world of model trains I don't think it makes much difference if any at all in practical use. Especially if the motor in question is as good as the ones in the newer loks.Cool
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Webmaster  
#99 Posted : 10 February 2014 18:34:11(UTC)
Webmaster

Topic now locked upon request by topic starter.

Thought it was ok since there are no new posts for 24 hrs.

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster