Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2014 15:34:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The 37923 BR41 from 2014 new items will have a 3-pole version.

I will not order the BR41.ThumbDown

Email from Marklin
Quote:
in this model you will find our standard motor. This version has 3 poles.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jeehring  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2014 15:38:16(UTC)
jeehring

Yes Stephen,.
ThumbDown

thank you to share with us .
Offline Marius in Africa  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2014 16:30:13(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Which motor are "they" going to use in the USA type locos, e.g. the F7 or PA1 locos? Are they going to continue with the DCM unit?

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2014 16:49:47(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Marius in Africa Go to Quoted Post
Which motor are "they" going to use in the USA type locos, e.g. the F7 or PA1 locos? Are they going to continue with the DCM unit?

Regards

Markus,

My guess would be DCM. These toolings have always been DCM. Locos we see with the "new" three pole motor that were may have been previously five pole (or other) are all those with the newer, smaller motors. I don't think it would be worthwhile for them to try and convert the existing F7 and PA-1 tooling to use anything other than a DCM motor.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline jeehring  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2014 16:50:45(UTC)
jeehring

Regards

I hope so.
Yes, about 2014 F7 models I think so. Description gives : 2 motorized axles on two units (double motorization)...so powerful !
For those heavy metal models they need powerful motors.
Each time there is a new tooling, we have to notice that they are lighter than the former ones, this way allows them to install centrally mounted can motors and worm gear with less pulling power.
but the weight of the model is lighter...From the rivets counters the argument is = thinner body = more close to scale 1:87...
Offline TimR  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2014 17:48:11(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I can't believe it... or I was still refusing to believe reality.

But we should've known after the recent Stummi exposure of the new 37455 motor.

Then there is really nothing desirable left in the whole Marklin range....

I've already bought all the DCM models that I need, so have no plans to add more DCM models...
whereas,
every other models that used to be equipped with SDS or bell-shaped motor have been downgraded.

This is quite a concern, because if this is their new policy,
ALL new tooling models from this point onwards will be designed around the new standard 3-pole motor...

DCM fans shouldn't rejoice either....

Moving forward, I think they would still progressively replace DCM with 3-poler can motor,
but they will probably move at a slower pace, because they would need to hedge the popularity of DCM against the new 3-poler.

Do note that except the 2009 Re6/6 (which uses an Re4/4 II treibgestell anyways, so doesn't really count) - there hasn't been any new tooling model with DCM architecture since the mid -90s.....
So undoubtedly Marklin will take DCM out of equation eventually.

Besides, arguably the "standard" 3-pole motor is cheaper to buy or manufacture vs DCM...

Marklin catchphrase written in every loco box I have are:

"Tradition, Quality, Innovation, & Emotion"

How they have betrayed their own philosophy.... it's really sad.
  • A 3-pole motor can not be counted a Marklin tradition (or maybe DELTA/Analog tradition??)
  • It is of questionable quality (longetivity), as it is a cheap motor
  • It is no way can be considered innovative
  • And it's really killing all the emotional fun and excitement of expecting a new Marklin model

A very sad day.

Edited by user 07 February 2014 09:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline mbarreto  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2014 17:59:49(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I prefer other motors (5 pole, coreless or SDS), but the 3 pole in itself is not a problem.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kbvrod  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2014 18:15:38(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

I prefer other motors (5 pole, coreless or SDS), but the 3 pole in itself is not a problem.

Hi Miguel,all,
Agreed!As stated before my FL loks(all tender drive) are 3-pole,two old ring motors and a can motor,they work fine.
The problem as I see it,is will these M 3-poles a) pull a train well b) LAST

We shall see,....

Dr D
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2014 18:31:10(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Mmmm, I have a BR 81 from a starter set with a cheap motor, the pulling power is similar of her old sister converted with a 5 pole kit, I think weight of the loco and powered axles are more important in the equation.
As for durability, those cheap motors were in all of my childhood toys and never manage to brake one....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2014 18:38:04(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I'm watching 37924. It fits my era better and it does not come with sound. This will save me some money on a decoder I will never use. It will get a LokSound V4 upgrade which will work fine with the three pole motor. So, the icon with five stars arranged in a circle means pretty much nothing now?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline danmarklinman  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2014 18:49:50(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hi Miguel,all,
Agreed!As stated before my FL loks(all tender drive) are 3-pole,two old ring motors and a can motor,they work fine.
The problem as I see it,is will these M 3-poles a) pull a train well b) LAST

We shall see,....

Dr D

Thankyou Dr D here's my comment to add to yours
I had Marklin Z for a very long time with its cheap as other Peaple say motors. These very small motors were not only powerful but very reliable. When Marklin replaced them with 5 pole motors they gained problems more with dirt between the poles collecting and stopping the motor. Know my point is, if you put a motor deep into a locomotive body it will need to be very reliable and therefore need less servicing!
Marklin have had a past history on this subject of reliability and the motor being in the locomotive not the tender, why should you want to decrease your modelling pleasure by adding in the chance of brake down and a push along engineThumbDown
I have two locomotives with old three pole motors, they run fine. It's the weight of the model that gives it traction!, you could have any number of poles in your motor, put it in a light weight model and it would not pull a thing! Put a three pole in a heavy weight and it will pull the hind legs of a donkey.
Why do some people think they know more than the design team at Marklin who do seem to really love there history and products. Yes it is about price they are in it to make a profit! But they also have to make an all round model which has all round multifunctional needs for its customers. Ie detail reliability ect
You can grumble all you like if you wish, but to me. If it runs well on my own layout Marklin must know what there doingFlapper
Marklin Z locomotives can pull long trains on three pole motors, why should heavy weight HO Marklin 3 poleConfused unless there track laying and maintenance is dodgy(just joking)LOL
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2014 19:00:02(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I'm on the understanding most do not have a problem with the motor in and by itself. The problem lies in the situation where Marklin's decoder does not have the motor control circuitry and/or program to adequately control the motor and provide smooth running. Tom posted a quote from someone at Marklin acknowledging this problem. Plus the cheaper motor has not returned a cheaper price. The quality and life expectancy are yet to be determined. It may last forever, it may not.

Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kbvrod  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2014 19:23:43(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Dan,all!

>I had Marklin Z for a very long time with its cheap as other Peaple say motors. These very small motors were not only powerful but very reliable. When Marklin replaced them with 5 pole motors they gained problems more with dirt between the poles collecting and stopping the motor. Know my point is, if you put a motor deep into a locomotive body it will need to be very reliable and therefore need less servicing!<

Case in point: I built a Z-scale layout for a friend,I had 2 loks a BR 103(to test the catenary) and a BR 75(5-pole) from a starter set,...the BR 103 (3-pole) had been sitting in a box for years and had not been run in years.The BR 75 was 'new' from a Christmas starter set.After I cleaned/lubed the BR 103 it ran much better than BR 75,...or is it a BR 74????I don't have anymore!Flapper

>Marklin have had a past history on this subject of reliability and the motor being in the locomotive not the tender, why should you want to decrease your modelling pleasure by adding in the chance of brake down and a push along engineThumbDown <

It hasn't and that is a bad way to think. Tank loks from both Fl/Roco have their motors where?

> It's the weight of the model that gives it traction!,<

Is that why weight is put into tender driven loks?Is that why M started again to make metal tenders where the ski is? I had to add lead to the old tender M loks becacuse they were too light for pickupBlink

>Why do some people think they know more than the design team at Marklin<

They don't screw upConfused

D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline danmarklinman  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2014 19:40:37(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi Dan,all!

>I had Marklin Z for a very long time with its cheap as other Peaple say motors. These very small motors were not only powerful but very reliable. When Marklin replaced them with 5 pole motors they gained problems more with dirt between the poles collecting and stopping the motor. Know my point is, if you put a motor deep into a locomotive body it will need to be very reliable and therefore need less servicing!<

Case in point: I built a Z-scale layout for a friend,I had 2 loks a BR 103(to test the catenary) and a BR 75(5-pole) from a starter set,...the BR 103 (3-pole) had been sitting in a box for years and had not been run in years.The BR 75 was 'new' from a Christmas starter set.After I cleaned/lubed the BR 103 it ran much better than BR 75,...or is it a BR 74????I don't have anymore!Flapper

>Marklin have had a past history on this subject of reliability and the motor being in the locomotive not the tender, why should you want to decrease your modelling pleasure by adding in the chance of brake down and a push along engineThumbDown <

It hasn't and that is a bad way to think. Tank loks from both Fl/Roco have their motors where?

> It's the weight of the model that gives it traction!,<

Is that why weight is put into tender driven loks?Is that why M started again to make metal tenders where the ski is? I had to add lead to the old tender M loks becacuse they were too light for pickupBlink

>Why do some people think they know more than the design team at Marklin<

They don't screw upConfused

D

Hi I speak from my own experience, and comments made by Marklin. And yes now one is perfect and yes they may have made mistakes, but I have found none myself with my models and wish those who have problems with there's a speedy recovery. I do think thoe that all this tech in models is getting to far into our heads and making us all worry far to much about it. To me if it looks right and runs right then it's a good model. My latest Marklin model is 37337 an SNCF BB12000. I don't know what motor it has or decoder, I don't CARE. It runs very well and it looks just perfect. I am happy and it came straight out of the box, and ran and it's not got she'd loads of bits to add and then brake off
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2014 20:15:36(UTC)
Webmaster

We are drifting away from the topic here, but...

I find it a bit interesting that similar DC motors have been used for ages by many other mrr manufacturers, sometimes with a flywheel and sometimes not.

The main complaint towards these motors in the forum is in the electronic regulation of them, which apparently is not optimal for some models - as proven by test results.
I hope newer models with the motor will have improved electronics that performs better. I think M are aware of the problem (as someone reported here forum) regarding
their mfx decoder and these "new" motors, and hopefully they will fix this...

I kind of see a parallel to the 3511 "C" that was analog and had a great driver board and much smooth power with the Faulhaber motor, while the 3611 was a "lame duck" regarding
pulling power with the same motor, but with a digital decoder. Same loco & motor, but different electronics... The 3711 had a bit better electronics (not much) than the 3611 so it
had a bit more pulling power, while the 3411 (Delta version of the same lok) had the same poor (or worse) performance as the 3611...

The later "C" versions (3711x) have much better electronics and perform very well with the same Faulhaber motor...

Sorry for this historical sideways excursion, but it just shows that introducing a new motor that is not as the brand "classic" ones is not always an easy affair...
Märklin got a big bashing about the "König Wilhelm" sets where the S10 loco had the same decoders as the 3711/3411, and the Delta version could hardly pull the magnificient cars...
They also got a bash for the first version of the BR55 with a Maxxon motor, but later models have been very nice...

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kbvrod  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2014 20:25:45(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hallo,Obi-wan,all,BigGrin

If a lok doesn't perform well in conventional operation it will not with better electronics nor digital.Mechanics also plays a part in it's performance.

Dr D
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Webmaster  
#17 Posted : 06 February 2014 21:02:48(UTC)
Webmaster

Mechanics & materials used in the gears and such do indeed play a major role in performance & reliability...

I have black Märklin BR 03.10 "3089" streamlined loco with a plastic/nylon cogwheel in the gears (starter set?) where the teeth are worn so the loco does not move... So "quality" has been an issue for many years when some models get unmotivated "cost cuts" ...

I also have a Roco BR50 üK where they have an excellent 5-pole DC motor with skewed windings in the tender driving the tender wheels, and the main loco wheels are driven via a cardan shaft from the tender, and unfortunately that construction sheared the cardan gears due to too soft metal used...

And as a personal side note on tender drive...
You don't put the horse behind the cart, do you? BigGrin
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline mbarreto  
#18 Posted : 06 February 2014 22:30:57(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I hope I can buy the old boiler BR41 when I will find it at a good price, I mean close to 275 euros. I expect it to happen in about 1 year.

I am sure I will be very happy with it all: look, detail, running, painting, lights, etc!

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 06 February 2014 23:48:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I will not be purchasing the 37923.
But the reasons are:
1. Does not suit my budget
2. Does not suit my layout.

However, may I state my opinions about this topic.
As Dan, Ray, Juhan, and others have said, 3 poles has nothing to do with performance, mechanics and all the other parts and design elements of a model locomotive.
3 pole motors have been the mainstay of model manufacture for 80 years.

I have around 50 locomotives (not many compared to some here, and half of them are not Marklin), and I would guess more than half of them have 3 pole motors.
I like all of them, and they all run well.

Marklin know what they are doing, and had no hesitation in telling Stephen the fact that 3 poles is now their standard motor.
I will continue to purchase Marklin locos as it suits me, regardless of those facts.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2014 00:09:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I already have a Br41, the 3792, so I am not tempted to buy this model which is quite similar. Yes, I know, it has more bells and whistles! I tend not to repeat examples of the same class unless there's a very good reason.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 07 February 2014 00:30:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've got enough steamers and will sit on the sideline and watch the outcome, I'm happy with my old converted locos with 5 pole motors such as 3082 (BR 41) with sound.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kbvrod  
#22 Posted : 07 February 2014 00:37:29(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Obi-wan,all,

>Mechanics & materials used in the gears and such do indeed play a major role in performance & reliability... <

Your kidding!Flapper

>I have black Märklin BR 03.10 "3089" streamlined loco with a plastic/nylon cogwheel in the gears (starter set?) where the teeth are worn so the loco does not move... So "quality" has been an issue for many years when some models get unmotivated "cost cuts" ... <

Calling Dr Eisenbahn!!!Woot

>I also have a Roco BR50 üK where they have an excellent 5-pole DC motor with skewed windings in the tender driving the tender wheels, and the main loco wheels are driven via a cardan shaft from the tender, and unfortunately that construction sheared the cardan gears due to too soft metal used... <

Well know issue.Roco does not do that anymore.Wait! You have Roco lok????Scared Tongue

>And as a personal side note on tender drive...
You don't put the horse behind the cart, do you? BigGrin<

You like the cab to have no room?Sneaky The tender loks are fine pullers.

Egad! LOL

Dr D

Offline jeehring  
#23 Posted : 07 February 2014 02:20:25(UTC)
jeehring

Hallo,Obi-wan,all,BigGrin

If a lok doesn't perform well in conventional operation it will not with better electronics nor digital.Mechanics also plays a part in it's performance.

Dr D

True but it dépends also on the feature you're talking about : whatever the motor , at low speed , digital regulation ALWAYS will give more torque VS analog DC regulation.
wITH analog DC regulation the maximum torque need a certain speed to be reached...(my English is too short to go further, but I'm sure you know what I mean...)
This is what leads people to confusion seeing that whatever the type of engine, SDS, 5 poles, 3 poles, the behavior of a model that runs on rails seemed somewhat similar : at least, when those motors are new, it rolls !
This is probably what led Marklin to install cheap 3 poles motors... just to earn more money. And we, customers, should applaud for this ?
I would like to test those 3 poles with pure analog DC without decoder...

Edited by user 07 February 2014 11:14:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TimR  
#24 Posted : 07 February 2014 06:59:51(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

The main complaint towards these motors in the forum is in the electronic regulation of them, which apparently is not optimal for some models - as proven by test results.

Since I got my first Marklin in-house MFX decoder, I never had too much hope in them.
It's Marklin's problem.

Digital world has matured enough in the past 10 years.
If one manufacturer is not competent enough to make them, we can just switch to another brand
...and basic decoders are now cheap enough, so long as we don't worry too much about full operating sounds.

Marklin was being quite clever about it though,
seemingly packaging more and more of their locos with full operating sound.
Why?
Higher RRP, and to make us more reluctant to replace those precious sound decoder.

I think they realize that their decoder's load control is worse compared to the other brands too - so in a way, sound package seems to be their way of protecting their market.

Okay, that's also slightly off-track from the topic.
But my point is decoders are merely the necessary additional tool for digital operation.

The rest of the locomotive is, however, should be considered a package in its own way, or a work of art.
Its tooling, detail, and motor -- this whole package is actually what represent the entire brand.

It's actually harder to switch brand to buy which loco vs decoder selection and/or problem with load regulation.

Juhan briefly mentioned about Marklin BR18.1....
It was introduced in 1988 --- close to the dawn of the real digital MRR age --- so naturally, some issue with electronic packaging...

But can you say that Marklin BR18.1 is not a beautiful model?

I think it's got all its ingredients, and the whole package is perfect -- although it was quite expensive for Marklin to make at a time...
True, it has no smoke generator, but that besides the point.
This is still a very modern design, highly detailed, and with the right decoder, its Faulhaber motor completes the whole package.
It was just so ahead of its time.......

Which bring us back to the point --- this artwork should be the model that every new tooling Marklin model be compared with.

Hence why the new standardized 3-pole motor is an issue for me.

Can Marklin argue that it is far better than the Faulhaber in BR18.1 - and actually makes their new models a better package compared to their 20-year old design?

They used to be able to argue that with BR01, BR05 (non-streamlined), BR18.3, BR64, BR39, BR23, and to some extent their BR50.40 and BR41...
They made huge fuss about it, and they showed that they were proud with those products.

But recently, Marklin had been trying to keep quiet about their "new" 3-poler.....
Luckily, internet forums shared everything, and look! Despite the "hush-hush", we know about this recent development.

I can only conclude that they already know that it is of inferior quality vs their previous motors.
Otherwise, where's the SDS-like campaign on the net.

I'm still trying to keep an open mind here, and see how the 3-polers compared to the previous generation motor.
But given the price, the second hand market is still the better option for Marklin-branded items.

Edited by user 08 February 2014 06:41:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 07 February 2014 08:27:48(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I can only speak for me. My tests have proven to me that some current models have a load regulation that is worse than leading products by two orders of magnitude.

Some don't like the cheap look of the new motors.

Some don't like three-pole motors - for years Märklin advertised the advantages of five-pole motors.

I hope newer models with the motor will have improved electronics that performs better. I think M are aware of the problem (as someone reported here forum) regarding their mfx decoder and these "new" motors, and hopefully they will fix this...
The reply was they would improve their decoders step by step. No word about fixing the problem for locos that were already shipped, no promise to make decoders good.

If they double the precision of the load regulation - and double it again - and double it one more time, then they will have a better decoder but still will be far from a good decoder.

The previous BR 41/042 came with a motor with bell-shaped armature in the boiler.
Now they tell us they have to use three-pole motors as five-pole motors will not fit into the boiler. Motors with bell-shaped armatures would still fit the boiler (and even Märklin's decoders perform well with them), but they don't fit the budget.

For me the message is clear. Märklin's propulsion is very good for Märklin's budget - and very good for my budget.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline foumaro  
#26 Posted : 07 February 2014 08:33:02(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

Regards

If they use any cheap motor to PA1 locos the locomotives will not run with them even alone,they are very heavy.I believe they will not do sush a terrible move.I do not know bout the F7,we will wait and see.
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 07 February 2014 09:07:37(UTC)
H0

That's a bit off-topic here.
F7 will most likely have the trusty c90 motor it had for years now. But with Märklin you never can be sure.

BR 152 and 182 were announced with two powered axles and everybody expected the c90 motor (which they had used with these mould before). But later text was changed to read "4 powered axles".
The E 17 has two powered axles - it has a cost-optimized motor mounted on a truck (like they did with SDS for a while).

Long story short: information in the new items brochure is subject to change without further notice - and leaves room for interpretation.

F7 now comes with LEDs and interior details.

Back to topic: it's a surprise they confirm the three-pole motor in their e-mail. A user on Stummi's forum wrote that he got replies not long ago where Märklin service stated they would not know how many poles the motors had. Glasnost in Göppingen. Improved information policy - and hopefully improved products to follow.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline hxmiesa  
#28 Posted : 07 February 2014 09:41:23(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Admittedly, having most of my locos with very old 3-pole motors, I dont see the big deal. I think so many other aspects comes into play; mechanical construction and electronics.
Surely, the best 3-pole motor is still infinitely much better than the worst 5-pole, right¿? ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#29 Posted : 07 February 2014 10:00:28(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
So, the icon with five stars arranged in a circle means pretty much nothing now?

What did it mean before?

UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#30 Posted : 07 February 2014 10:00:39(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The reply was they would improve their decoders step by step. No word about fixing the problem for locos that were already shipped, no promise to make decoders good.

If they double the precision of the load regulation - and double it again - and double it one more time, then they will have a better decoder but still will be far from a good decoder.

The meaning of "step by step" doesn't make me conclude any specific thing other then they are committed to improve and want to do it in a systematic way.

I think it is the way things should be done, but the steps taken need to be the correct ones. I trust in them to do it, and as such I also hope they review all the previous work Märklin did (at least in the last 2 decades) on motors and load regulation. It is not mandatory, but it may save a lot of time to them, and as a consequence save money. We must also understand that the current technology and demand is not the same as it was before, so the solution may not necessarily be the same.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 07 February 2014 10:28:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi!

My tests have proven to me that some current models have a load regulation that is worse than leading products by two orders of magnitude.

Tom, you are usually very precise and accurate with your statements, so it surprises me to see you write such an exaggeration. Two orders of magnitude would make some decoders 100 times worse than others, and I doubt very much whether the results of your tests support this.

For example, if measuring minimum speed, and the best decoders can achieve between 2 and 3 kph, then you are saying that some decoders have a minimum speed of 200 - 300 kph. Hardly likely is it?

If the measure we are using is variation in speed, then similarly if the best decoder holds the speed to within +/- 1 kph, then 2 orders of magnitude worse would be +/- 100 kph, unless you are saying that the best can hold the speed within +/- 0.01 kph, which I doubt you can measure with any great accuracy.

I can only assume that you are exaggerating to re-inforce your point, or do not have a good idea of the meaning of the phrase "order of magnitude".

Ray
#32 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:01:08(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Hi!
I can only speak for me. My tests have proven to me that some current models have a load regulation that is worse than leading products by two orders of magnitude.

Some don't like the cheap look of the new motors.

Some don't like three-pole motors - for years Märklin advertised the advantages of five-pole motors.

I hope newer models with the motor will have improved electronics that performs better. I think M are aware of the problem (as someone reported here forum) regarding their mfx decoder and these "new" motors, and hopefully they will fix this...

The previous BR 41/042 came with a motor with bell-shaped armature in the boiler.
Now they tell us they have to use three-pole motors as five-pole motors will not fit into the boiler. Motors with bell-shaped armatures would still fit the boiler (and even Märklin's decoders perform well with them), but they don't fit the budget.

For me the message is clear. Märklin's propulsion is very good for Märklin's budget - and very good for my budget.

Thanks for taking the time to do you own testing and keeping us informed of the outcomes. There's been a lot of discussion over the three-pole vs five-pole motor issue.
If you're wondering if anyone is listening, I've understood the message that it's the combination of decoder and motor that's a potential problem. Not just the motor in isolation.

UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#33 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:10:53(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mulldog Lemon Go to Quoted Post
So, the icon with five stars arranged in a circle means pretty much nothing now?

What did it mean before?

This icon first appeared in 1988 with the release of the five pole motored 3511. A milestone in Marklin's line that got high marks in at least two posts in this thread alone. Now I guess we can read it to mean the lok will have a motor and it will be digital since there's an IC included in the icon. I pretty much expect a motor and I believe every lok has been digital for a few years now.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline RayF  
#34 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:26:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The original 5 star symbol, and description, was applied to the 5 pole DCM motors with regulated analogue control. By extension it was also applied to the 3511 which had a can motor, so we can see that even at the very beginning there was no one clearly defined motor that it applied to.

Over the years the symbol has been applied to locos that were described as having "high efficiency propulsion", which I take to mean that there is a degree of speed or load regulation, but even this was not always true.

It is not really an indication for a 5 pole motor either, because the same can motors that were used in 3511 were used in 3411, and the latter did not use the symbol.

I have always taken it to mean that the loco will run smoothly and slowly, and usually with speed regulation.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline intruder  
#35 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:43:16(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I do not want to join the motor discussion, as we will never agree. I prefer the good old Märklin motor3 or 5-pole doesn't matter, as they are easy rebuild with the motor conversion sets.

But, I do agree that Märklin could be better in the information department, by mentioning the motor types in the product descriptions.

Edited by user 08 February 2014 18:08:26(UTC)  | Reason: Typihg error

Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by intruder
#36 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:45:54(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   

What did it mean before?

This icon first appeared in 1988 with the release of the five pole motored 3511. A milestone in Marklin's line that got high marks in at least two posts in this thread alone. Now I guess we can read it to mean the lok will have a motor and it will be digital since there's an IC included in the icon. I pretty much expect a motor and I believe every lok has been digital for a few years now.

So what does this symbol mean?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#37 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:47:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I'm at a loss to understand the changes Märklin has made over the years to decoders and motors.

I'm not an electronic experts by all means but having followed Märklin's evolutionary progress over the years and over the same period having experienced the improvement of locos running characteristics and if I'm correct to say each time a new motor was developed a new decoder had been fitted as well.

Somewhere I'm loosing the connection between all these improvements in the past.

To me its not a matter of wait and see and wait for the outcome or someone has made a mistake by reporting any changes, it just doesn't make sense at all.

All my locos have been fitted with 5 pole motors and I must admit they are at times a bit noisy, compared with Roco locos but than and I never have owned a loco with a bell shaped motor in the boiler, I've heard they much quieter and I assume a decoder had been developed for this motor as well.

My question is, are these so called new motors, not including Cine-motors, (I had the earlier version, I'm very impressed with them) better versions as the previous motors or has the latest 3 pole version been developed without making sure it is compatible with any decoder they have so far produced.

most probably I'll never find out for myself unless I hear any overwhelming results on this forum.

ESU has never been able to produce a decoder for the early Cine motors but also had numerous and improved versions of decoders.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline RayF  
#38 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:48:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

What did it mean before?

So what does this symbol mean?

UserPostedImage

It's unclear. See my post above.

Originally it meant that the model had a 5 pole DCM motor with analogue load control.
Ray
Offline river6109  
#39 Posted : 07 February 2014 12:15:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I've just looked up Märklin.de and the locos description shows what I believe has the form and shape of a five star armature and this is what I've associated the symbol with.

If it is correct, the loco has been produced with a 3 pole motor, I would personally assume it has a five pole motor looking at the data sheet's details.

If I remember correctly there was a similar error (if this is the case in this instance) with a SBB Ae 8/14 loco Märklin bought out (37951) and it actually had a C-Sine motor. I could be wrong),

is it a typing error again ?

regards.

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline TimR  
#40 Posted : 07 February 2014 12:35:01(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

I have always taken it to mean that the loco will run smoothly and slowly, and usually with speed regulation.

I think we need to go back twenty years ago....
Back then, Marklin seemed to have combined the package of (early generation) digital decoder & DCM 5-poler into 1 symbol.

Do note that back then, there were no 8-pin or 21-pin plug-n-play decoders as we have now.
So it was quite natural to combine the symbol, as even the shape of each decoder was specifically customized for each different model.

There were only a few models with bell-shaped armature back then, and the aforementioned BR18.1 has a 5-poler Faulhaber motor,
so Marklin's new symbol make absolute perfect sense.
5-star symbol seems natural to go with 5-pole DCM... and still is.

But as time went on, MM gets updated with MFX, while DELTA is gone...

So the (digital-controlled) speed regulation part of that 5-star symbol had become meaningless when the new MFX symbol was introduced.

Arguably if the symbol only means "speed regulation", then all of those 36xxx TRAXX and Ludmilla models should have the same symbol too.
But they don't.

It is not really an indication for a 5 pole motor either

Which bring us to the next problem....
Marklin's product development had a brief affair with bell-shaped armature from early 2000s; resulting in some very good models.
The list was made up of BR17, BR38, BR89.70, BR45, BR59, BR05 streamlined; Big Boy, and GG-1.
But they all shared the same 5-star symbol and the old age DCMs.......

At this stage, 5* symbol starting to get confusing, but somewhat justified because Marklin probably wanted their customers to think that those bell-shaped armature were of the same level as their mid-range DCM model. Besides, none of those bell-shaped armature are 3-polers, and those motor are indeed quite pricey vs DCM.
The Big Boy motor cost around 90 Eurs; while the Maxxon on BR45/59/05 cost about 120 Eur.

And more importantly, Marklin was slowly rolling out Sinus motor back then. It was to be their golden boy -- the top dog, the top motor.
So they probably think that differentiating bell-shaped to DCM could possibly take the gloss off their 39xxx Sinus models.
But another update happened: the Sinus motors are gone!

Conclusion:

Basically that 5* symbol in Marklin database had became meaningless or misleading, as Marklin never updates it as time progressed,
and the level of technology is changing.

I originally thought every model with that symbol has the DCM 5-poler; and only thanks to Marklin-users.net that I learned that it is not true.

To associate it with the new 3-poler is just plain misleading,
because it was originally meant to be paired with DCM 5-poler anyways.

Helmut kern's website has a lot better explanation vs Marklin's parade of meaningless symbols in their database.

Edited by user 08 February 2014 07:32:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TimR
#41 Posted : 07 February 2014 13:13:40(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
UserPostedImage

Marklin Description: "Locomotive with 5-pole motor."
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline RayF  
#42 Posted : 07 February 2014 14:08:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
UserPostedImage

Marklin Description: "Locomotive with 5-pole motor."

That's not the symbol in the database for 37923. It's this one:
RayF attached the following image(s):
5star.JPG
Ray
Offline RayF  
#43 Posted : 07 February 2014 14:10:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Notice that the explanation gives no information on the number of poles.

The grossly stretched icon posted by Ross is usually used in the Z-scale catalogue, and actually represents the wire coils in the z- scale motors.

The icon used in the HO catalogue is the digital "chip" symbol beside a circle with 5 stars in it. It does not claim anywhere to represent a 5 pole motor.

http://www.maerklin.com/...ten.html?sCountryCode=en

Edit:

I just noticed a couple of flaws in this linked page on the Marklin website. It has had the logo for mfx+ added on the end, and yet the "N" symbol at the top still says "New item for 2005"

BigGrin
Ray
Offline H0  
#44 Posted : 07 February 2014 15:13:27(UTC)
H0

My tests have proven to me that some current models have a load regulation that is worse than leading products by two orders of magnitude.
Tom, you are usually very precise and accurate with your statements, so it surprises me to see you write such an exaggeration. Two orders of magnitude would make some decoders 100 times worse than others, and I doubt very much whether the results of your tests support this.
I made 16 test runs with an ESU class 66, 8 forward, 8 reverse - all runs at speed step 1.
Fastest run forward: 31.112 seconds. Slowest run forward: 31.151 seconds. Max vs. min: +0.13%
Fastest run forward: 31.014 seconds. Slowest run forward: 31.140 seconds. Max vs. min: +0.41%

Same test was done with a Märklin BR 218 (#37745). I made 32 test runs with this loco because the results of the initial 16 runs were surprisingly bad - the final 16 were as bad as the first 16.
Fastest run forward: 17.814 seconds. Slowest run forward: 33.884 seconds. Max vs. min: +90.21%
Fastest run forward: 17.610 seconds. Slowest run forward: 33.850 seconds. Max vs. min: +92.20%

The results for the Lollo #37740:
With factory-installed decoder it was +53.04% forward and +61.23% in reverse.
Same loco, but with ESU LokPilot V4: +0.31% forward and +0.93% in reverse.

Results for the Ludmilla #36424 with mfx: forward +42.67%, reverse +35.44%

My TRAXX loco with factory-installed mfx decoder shows similarly bad results.

Four out of four locos with three-pole motor and factory-installed mfx decoder show bad results.

The 03 1001 (#37915, bell-shaped armature) performed much better: +0.94% forward and +0.63% in reverse. I do not say that Märklin mfx decoders always perform bad.

Märklin select the motor, Märklin select the decoder. The ESU loco shows which precision is possible. The #37915 shows how good Märklin locos with bell-shaped armature were.
The Lollo shows how much better precision is with ESU decoder instead of Märklin decoder.

I don't know how good or how bad the BR 41 does perform. There are two orders of magnitude between the best and the worst Märklin locos - I play it safe.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#45 Posted : 07 February 2014 15:26:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

I have looked at all the Märklin catalogues since the 5 pole high efficiency motor has been introduced and from that moment onwards, (except the 3500 series before) the 5 pole symbol has been associated with all 37000 series locos which give me a clear indication without any arguments what the 5 star symbol stood for, it wasn't used on any 3 pole motor or any C-Sine motor so why are we starting to argue, because it doesn't say anything in the latest brochures or catalogues about the mentioning of a five pole armature or motor but the symbol has stayed the same.
Since it has come to my attention I would assume it is a 5 pole motor without reading the printed explanation what the symbol stands for now and to me the symbol no longer represents the original intend to make customers aware of what type of propulsion the loco had.

the first high efficiency motors had been introduced with the Märklin 6090 decoders under the 3700 series, the 3500 series all had 5 pole motors but a coil magnet
the loco brochure itself do not mention anything about 5 pole motors

Its not a trade mark or has any legal binding but I will write to Märklin and like to get their explanation why the original symbol has now become a meaningless icon from its original intended purpose.

John
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline NZMarklinist  
#46 Posted : 07 February 2014 16:34:06(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I've just looked up Märklin.de and the locos description shows what I believe has the form and shape of a five star armature and this is what I've associated the symbol with.

If it is correct, the loco has been produced with a 3 pole motor, I would personally assume it has a five pole motor looking at the data sheet's details.

If I remember correctly there was a similar error (if this is the case in this instance) with a SBB Ae 8/14 loco Märklin bought out (37951) and it actually had a C-Sine motor. I could be wrong),

is it a typing error again ?

regards.

John

John,

The AE 8/14 you are referring to is 37591 which was an MHI item and has two 5 pole DCM Motors, also 37593 (the only one to appear it the 1999 & 2000 Catalogues) and 37596 with sounds more recently, and there were at least a couple more with two DCMs.

39590 in Machinery Green (2007 new items) had two SDS Motors as did 39591 in fictional Brown, a Swiss Dealer special of a couple of years ago

In the Marklin Database and the Catalogues, (for 37593 and 39590 only) where they appear, their descriptions are quite clear about what type of motor they came with, either 5 pole or SDS, so sorry your are wrong on this one
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Goofy  
#47 Posted : 07 February 2014 16:57:05(UTC)
Goofy

BigGrin

I wouldn´t saying like that!
The number of star equal as totally poles of the motor.
When Märklin did introduced new 5 pole analog motor in serie 35...,they did meaned as high power motor.
So it was information on the number of poles.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#48 Posted : 07 February 2014 17:16:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

BigGrin

I wouldn´t saying like that!
The number of star equal as totally poles of the motor.
When Märklin did introduced new 5 pole analog motor in serie 35...,they did meaned as high power motor.
So it was information on the number of poles.

I repeat, the information Marklin gives on their information page makes no mention of the number of poles for this icon. Read it!

http://www.maerklin.com/...ten.html?sCountryCode=en

The icon for 5 pole motor is a different one, and has been used recently for Z scale.

I agree that originally the symbol was meant to show that the motor had been upgraded to 5 pole, but Marklin have always been careful to describe the propulsion as "5 star", not "5-pole".
Ray
#49 Posted : 07 February 2014 19:52:13(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
The 37923 BR41 from 2014 new items will have a 3-pole version.

I will not order the BR41.ThumbDown

Email from Marklin
Quote:
in this model you will find our standard motor. This version has 3 poles.

Quote:
37923 Steam Freight Locomotive with a Tender.
Model: The locomotive has the new mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel.

So, with these two statements from Marklin, we can assume that the 'standard motor' is 3-pole with a flywheel. As represented by graphic of five stars circling a central shaft-like object.

I'm not ordering this loco either. The 3-pole motor issue has nothing to do with that decision (just to clarify).
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline Webmaster  
#50 Posted : 07 February 2014 20:48:14(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Juhan briefly mentioned about Marklin BR18.1....
It was introduced in 1988 --- close to the dawn of the real digital MRR age --- so naturally, some issue with electronic packaging...

But can you say that Marklin BR18.1 is not a beautiful model?

I think it's got all its ingredients, and the whole package is perfect -- although it was quite expensive for Marklin to make at a time...
True, it has no smoke generator, but that besides the point.
This is still a very modern design, highly detailed, and with the right decoder, its Faulhaber motor completes the whole package.
It was just so ahead of its time.......

Sorry for this off-topic post...

This (the 3511) was what made me come back to the hobby when I bought it used in the mid-90's... This model set a new
standard of how Märklin "should be" for me... I had bought a 3000 starter set and brought my old trains from my childhood
for my son to play with, and I thought it was fun to see the trains run. After some additions to my son's roster, I bought the
3511 + a 4228 Rheingold set for myself and then I was hooked myself by the quality & silent running of the 3511...
Never looked back since then, and when I discovered Digital in 1996-1997 (bought a 6021 + 6051) I was really hooked...
This lead to this site being put online as an experiment in late 1998, and the forum start in 2001...

I have an elephant-eared Delta BR41 from a starter set that is waiting to be upgraded to the latest standards... Wink

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster