Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hackcell  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2014 17:40:46(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello,

If I want to change the OEM decoder in a 36420 locomotive, what would be the best option? (Meaning sound) BigGrin

Thanks!
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2014 17:45:30(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

If I want to change the OEM decoder in a 36420 locomotive, what would be the best option? (Meaning sound) BigGrin

Thanks!

ESU version 4 or M4.
www.esu.eu

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Hackcell  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2014 18:02:50(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Thanks!

ESU version 4 or M4.
www.esu.eu

Hi again,

Loksound or LokPilot?
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Hackcell  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2014 18:23:23(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
I guess loksound... Lokpilot does not support braking module.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2014 19:05:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Danilo,

Have you considered the Marklin sound decoders for this loco? They are a direct replacement for the factory decoder board. The 60948 is the one with diesel sounds, and brings the adaptor board, the decoder itself, and the speaker to fit the space in the chassis.

http://www.maerklin.com/...ch%2Fproduct_search.html
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Hackcell  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2014 19:15:29(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello Ray,

No, I haven't. I've been reading and the ESU have very good feedback so it would be nice to test one and see how it goes.

Nevertheless I'm fully open to suggestions :-)

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Lollo  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2014 20:46:07(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Danilo,

I have looked at the spare parts manual for this loco. It shows as having a 21 pin MTC decoder. So that means you can just plug in a ESU 21 pin MTC loksound decoder. By the way, the premium lokpilot decoders do support breaking modules. I have several that work really well.

The ESU 21 pin MTC LS V4 is #54499 & the LS V4 M4 (mfx) is 64499. Thses are not preloaded with the sound for any loco.
The decoders that are preloaded, most have a 8 pin NEM 652
You can usually request to have a sound loaded from a dealer, other wise you need the lokprogrammer to upload the sound file to the decoder.

As your loco has the appropriate adapter board for the 21 pin MTC, your other option (Probably the cheapest) is to order the either the 60946 or the 60948. These have a preloaded diesel sound. The extra adapters you will not need.
If you order the 60948, you will have a spare interface board for your loco.
The 60946 sound I have heard and is pretty good.
You can check out the standard sounds here, msD standard sounds

Cheers,
Brian.

Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2014 21:16:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Interesting! I have the 36421 Ludmilla, and it definitely does not have a 21 pin MTC adapter. I wonder when they changed the design?

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2014 21:46:43(UTC)
H0

Hi, Danilo!
If I want to change the OEM decoder in a 36420 locomotive, what would be the best option? (Meaning sound)
The cheapest option IMHO would be the 60968. It comes with the sound for an ER 20, but with a CS2 the Ludmilla sound can be loaded to the decoder (friendly dealers will do that for you if you don't have a CS2). The loco will keep the yellow LEDs. Street price around € 65.

I'm afraid the 60946 cannot be used as the loco probably does not have a 21MTC connector (open it up to verify this in case of a doubt).

The best solution I've tested would be an ESU LokSound decoder (street price around € 90) with a 21MTC board from Schönwitz (retail price about € 30). You will have white LEDs and red rear lights - and for € 5 more you can get cab lights for two cabs. I normally buy two loco boards and a pair of cab lights and install one cab light into each loco.
You will need a LokProgrammer to upload the sound - or find a friendly dealer who does it.

I converted a Ludmilla this way, using a LokSound decoder without mfx. The ESU project for the Ludmilla has 22 functions out of the box - with red rear lights and cab light the loco now has 24 functions. My Central Station 60212 Reloaded can control 24 functions for DCC locos.
I own an ESU LokProgrammer that allows me to upload sounds and configure function mapping easily.

A conversion with 60948/60949 is described here:
https://www.marklin-user...48-60949.aspx#post410841
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Lollo  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2014 22:08:01(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Danilo,

I would do as Tom suggests, and remove the loco body & verify if it does in fact have the 21 pin MTC adapter board & decoder installed.
It is all possible that parts diagram is incorrect.
I agree with Tom, if it does not have the 21 pin MTC, the Marklin 60948 (pre-loaded diesel sound) is your easier & cheapest option. Also the speaker is the correct size to fit in the speaker cavity.
The Marklin manual states that the 60948 is for diesel, and the 60949 is the electric. I have attached the Manual for you. It is in German & English.

Regards,

Brian.
File Attachment(s):
60948_betrieb.pdf (2,429kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline mmervine  
#11 Posted : 09 February 2014 09:43:26(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
if your Ludmilla does not have a 21 pin adapater, the best way to upgrade this is with an adapter board from Lussi and a Loksound decoder. I have upgraded many Traxx and ER20 loks with these boards.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 09 February 2014 09:48:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Lokpilot does not support braking module.

Confused Confused Confused

Who told you that rubbish?!

Lokpilot DCC does not support the Marklin brake module, but works with a DCC module.

Likewise Lokpilot using MM supports the Marklin brake module.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 09 February 2014 10:05:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Best thing to do is to follow Tom's (H0) advice.

You have 2 options - either the 60968 kit at € 65 or the ESU LokSound decoder with a 21MTC board from Schönwitz at about € 120 - http://modellbau-schoenwitz.de/

Alternatively, you could use the 21 pin adapter board from Lussi (http://luessi.ch/shop/catalog/p...h=2&products_id=2343) plus an ESU LokSound decoder, as suggested by Mark.
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 09 February 2014 10:30:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My personal experience with ESU decoders I wouldn't be able to program them with out a lokprogramer one person tried to explain it to me on the ESU forum and I got lost with the bits and the bites x by numbers etc etc. and he said he has a formula written down so every time he programming a decoder he can look up the CV's he has to change.

It would take me many hours to follow and to understand this type of programming and who ever would try to teach me would have a lot of patience and I haven't met many people who have been able to go through a brick wall.

using lokpilot (lopi) with the lokprogramer's programing ability and using as Dave mentioned the Märklin braking module you have to set the decoder's DC analog setting to off or untick the box..

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode