Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Larry  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2013 22:18:58(UTC)
Larry

United States   
My plan is to build station tracks and platforms under a glass-like housing to fit on 4 by 8 foot platform to park a number of train sets. I envision it being something like those at the Köln Hauptbahnhof but the ceiling would be far more simple. My belief is that the train sets would be better protected from dust, etc., having a cover over them but still be visible and easily accessible. Coming from my main layout and leading to the station (really a yard) I am going to add several bridges linked together to roughly model those over the Rhein River leading up to the tracks/platform at the Köln Hauptbahnhof.

There does not seem to be anything from Faller, Vollmer, etc., that would be helpful and currently available.

Does anyone know of anything from any manufacturer to help create the above even if it means buying a number of plastic kits?

Thanks so much!

Larry

Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:57:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Larry,

One of the best I have seen advertised, is the Grand Gare station from Jouef.
This was produced in the 1970s, but are still available on ebay.fr, either in kit form or made up.

The nice thing is, the platforms, canopy and other appendages, were in modules, so you could buy as many as you needed.
One example is Item #360650607160, for sale now on eBay.

Another possibility is the Hornby Dublo version produced in the 1950s, but is rarely available, and probably way more expensive.
See item #181135535581 on eBay.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:14:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Dear Larry,

Another solution would be the 00 scale large overall roof card kit from Scalescenes: http://www.scalescenes.c...005a-Large-Overall-Roof. I used the kit - adjusting it to my needs - on my own layout. However, I did not dare to follow the instructions to print on transparent foil, which requires an enduring printer...

Cheers - Ak
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Larry  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2013 02:57:13(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Kimball and Ak,

Thanks for your great ideas. The kits from Jouef, Hornby and Scalescenes all sound great. I did not know any of them existed, so thank you.

The idea of making a train station/shed out of cardboard is really enticing. I looked at making the station/yard from plastic but there seemed to be no curved pieces that would be needed for the roof.

Since this 4x8 area would be connected by bridges and to the side of the main layout the paper might look realistic from this distance.

Use of paper is intriguing. Do either of you know if many have used such with Marklin layouts? It seems to be gaining popularity in the US with crafts but the UK seems to be the most advanced from what I have gathered in Google searches.

I did find some amazing stuff. One site has all kinds of structures from Disney:

http://www.disneyexperience.com/models/?page=1

Thanks again!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Larry
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:09:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Larry, you could take a look at the Faller 120199 and 120180 covered platforms.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:11:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Picture of the Joeuf platform Kimball was talking about.
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
$(KGrHqJ,!mIFBEJd5vBPBRhqutgfMw~~60_12.JPG
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2013 10:11:46(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi Larry,

I believe that not many have used paper or cardboard models on Maerklin layouts. I am a heavy user though. When scrolling through the description of my various layouts in this forum, you will hardly find any plastic structure. Most buildings and backdrops are more or less kitbashed paper models. Nowadays, I am mostly using plywood substructures to support the "wallpaper".

For my terminal station hall I had the local copy shop print two versions of a Scalescenes kit on thin cardboard, which I adapted to my needs - spanning four tracks and two platforms - by reducing the roof width from roughly 50 cm to 30 cm and reinforcing the structure with wooden strips and plywood sections. With some dexterity and skills, creating curved sections will be no problem. I attach two photos. The first one shows the plywood reinforced support walls before mounting the roof, and the second one depicts the (almost) final outcome.

Have fun - Ak Smile

P.S. Words to the wise: Do not forget to apply a "paint finish" to avoid fading of colors...
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
lb.png
la.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2013 10:42:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
In order to view the old Jouef kit more completely, another item available on Ebay.fr is #161018779940. It was sold as a "double possibility", and more platform and roof extension kits were available originally.

You can view this item in your home eBay by typing this number in the search box.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline grnwtrs  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2013 21:15:36(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Larry

Today while perusing new items from my local dealer in Detmold, I saw a couple of Faller kits that mite fit
in with what you want.

Check out Fallers #194119 S Banhof @ 34.79 euro, also kits # 12018, or # 120180

Actually there are probably dozens of kits that could fill your needs.

I am sure there are a lots of different manufacturers of kits that would be fun to consider. BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Larry  
#10 Posted : 13 May 2013 13:23:34(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Thanks for all the great ideas! Your advice and time is greatly appreciated.

Larry
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 13 May 2013 20:59:06(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
....[...text...]

For my terminal station hall I had the local copy shop print two versions of a Scalescenes kit on thin cardboard, which I adapted to my needs - spanning four tracks and two platforms - by reducing the roof width from roughly 50 cm to 30 cm and reinforcing the structure with wooden strips and plywood sections. With some dexterity and skills, creating curved sections will be no problem. I attach two photos. The first one shows the plywood reinforced support walls before mounting the roof, and the second one depicts the (almost) final outcome.

Nice work Alsterstreek,
Reminds me a lot of Santa Apolonia Station in Lisbon. Was that in the back of your mind?

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline jcrtrains  
#12 Posted : 14 May 2013 00:27:52(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Has anyone built anything from the firm Joswood? This year they have announced an absolutely massive structure that can bee seen at the following:

Joswood site

I would like to hear anyone with experience with the firm

Thanks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Alsterstreek  
#13 Posted : 14 May 2013 03:24:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post

Nice work Alsterstreek,
Reminds me a lot of Santa Apolonia Station in Lisbon. Was that in the back of your mind?

- Mark

Thanks Mark,

The beautiful lIght blue Lisbon Santa Apolonia terminal building adjacent to the port facilities with the attached coach yard and the large wye connected to the Chelas junction and Oriente station throat? Yes, that was one of the inspirations. Actually, the Joeuf kit would be suitable to recreate the large overall roof. However, rolling stock and fantasy names are more a reminiscence of Northern Germany. E.g., the alias Slumburg-Alltoofar is referring to the Hamburg-Altona terminal in Germany, which used to be a brick building with a station hall before the 1970s refurbishing.

Cheers - Ak Glare
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2013 19:48:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know if I would want to build the whole building exterior or do it in such a way where the viewer looks down on the tracks from above as if he was looking down from the roof. This would enable the platforms and other details to be in plain sight and for the viewers and the operator to see the operation of the bahnhof, especially if it is a HBf/Kopf-Bahnhof where locomotives must be detached and the train then leaves in the opposite direction. A through station is easier and may allow for you to install a roof.

Regards,

Mike C
Offline jcrtrains  
#15 Posted : 07 December 2013 15:36:58(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Folks;

Joswood has released more details on thier model of the Leipzeg covered station. It's really pretty incredible and I am thinking of giving it a try. I have the Vollmer station as you can see with my layout pics so this would be a complete replacement.

The following is one of the brochures for it:

Joswood Leipzeg

Does anyone have any experience with this firm?

Thanks
Offline Danlake  
#16 Posted : 07 December 2013 16:47:36(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi!

If the price is not an issue the TRIX kit of Hamburg Dammtor station is spectecular. You could do some kit bashing and install a clear roof instead.

https://www.marklin-user...569_Dammtor-Station.aspx

https://www.marklin-user...r---Era-IV-V-layout.aspx

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i...p;_sacat=0&_from=R40

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline biedmatt  
#17 Posted : 15 December 2013 18:00:16(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Well Lasse, I need to thank you for your post. Though I do not believe my wallet would do the same. I first noticed the Dammtor station in the recent Trix N-scale release and though it a shame they did not do it in HO. Your post told me otherwise. I managed to score both parts to the kit plus eight additional Faller kits for some iron bridges and arcade viaducts. Very excited, thanks!
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline jcrtrains  
#18 Posted : 06 June 2014 23:50:59(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Well. folks I am boldly going where no man has gone before. Here are some prototype pics; they are getting close to the kit production and mine is on order. My layout will require significant city re-design. I will be doing one half of what is displayed.

Joswood Station

I will keep you all posted.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Shamu  
#19 Posted : 07 June 2014 04:11:52(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Holy snapping duck doo................. picture 19 says it all..........

And I thought my 8 x Kibri 39565 Train Shed w/- Platforms and Roof 'BONN' was going to look impressive.

Thats put me in my place........... and made me jealous........ wish I'd never seen it Crying
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline biedmatt  
#20 Posted : 07 June 2014 04:26:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Damn!
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 07 June 2014 07:31:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
if the only think you worry about dust, let them get dusty and it puts on a nice natural patina and if dust is the main object a duster always can get rid of dust and it wont cost you € 499.00. I don't do any dusting on my layout, except vacuum cleaning the tracks from time to time and the rest of metal parts gets picked up from magnets, e,.g. Roco telex coupling and a magnet placed underneath a carriage.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline GlennM  
#22 Posted : 10 June 2014 19:11:16(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Well. folks I am boldly going where no man has gone before. Here are some prototype pics; they are getting close to the kit production and mine is on order. My layout will require significant city re-design. I will be doing one half of what is displayed.

Joswood Station

I will keep you all posted.

Wow, sounds like a great project, please keep us posted with lots of pictures with commentary.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.