Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2013 01:21:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Continuing on from my earlier post today here about a 6021 manual.....

https://www.marklin-user...al-for-Marklin-6021.aspx

So, I went off on a tangent and decided a new topic was better. The original 'catalog scans' topic is old and very long so I shall continue with a new edition;

Other items such as older catalogues which appeal to collectors would be brilliant to be able to download and print ourselves, even if the download was for a nominal charge.

Included in this I'd like to see things like the single-page information leaflets announcing a new item. If you have the item, those leaflets are a real treasure but unless you happened to grab it in the few months of availability, they become extremely difficult to find years later down the track. I've attached below a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I happen to love the old V95 Railbus units, released originally by Marklin as the DB800K, then 3016/4018, and several subsequent retools, colour variations etc.

In 2006 they retooled, and produced a magnificent 6-page brochure which is just magic - see scans below. I don't own this leaflet, I was helping a fellow club member sort out all his duplicates and was thrilled to come across this one - naturally I scanned (oops, "backed it up") while I had the chance, just in case he loses it BigGrin

There have been specific leaflets for items such as the Starlight Express Train, the Class 64, Rheingold, SVT137 Flying Hamburger etc. Sometimes these are produced as a large novelty fold-out poster (bigger than A3) with a nice picture on one side, and item detail on the other - those are REAL tricky to scan.

Personally I also like the 'official' reproduction catalogues from the 30's & 40's, (and I'd love earlier ones too) but to purchase the printed versions either from the online shop or ebay etc, it usually costs more for the overseas postage than the item itself cost. I'd gladly pay a nominal amount, say 5 Euro for an online version to either print myself, or simply view on the PC, but yes I also take the point that if Marklin made such items available online, they would suffer the same fate as many other similar digital media, they'd sell one, and it would be 'distributed' (read; "backed-up") across several other people.

The only way they'd avoid that would be some form of DRM ("Digital Rights Management" - now go wash your mouth out) where it could only be opened by someone possessing the required legitimate reader software.

Yep, I've just answered my own question and can see why this might be consigned to the 'too hard basket'.

I've enjoyed talking to myself here Blushing

I guess the secret-squirrel network will continue to flourish.

Naturally, I've scanned many of my own items and it's great having an actual physical library, but boy it takes heaps of bookshelf space to have it all at the ready - several shelves now occupied with all manner of Marklin reading material and sometimes it's nice to browse them in the comfort of the armchair but usually quicker and more convenient to open my scanned version on the PC right there and then.

Thoughts from others?

Cheers

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
Railbus-1.jpg
Railbus-2.jpg
Railbus-3.jpg
Railbus-4.jpg
Railbus-5.jpg
Railbus-6.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2013 01:44:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The biggest problem as I see it is when others take advantage of your hard work in scanning stuff, to then turn around and try to make a profit from your hard work, without any acknowledgement, even to the point of abusing you when you point out what they are doing. That makes me less inclined to share anything with all and sundry. Currently I'm only really inclined to share items with those who have been members of the forum for some time and who I feel I can trust. Any requests from newbies who as their first post ask for the world, generally get ignored, for the above reasons. Sad, but that's the corner I've been backed into. It only takes one or two plonkers to ruin it for everyone else.

I know that Juhan, as part of his site revamping, is looking at introducing an area where resource materials can be made available on this site, but that takes time and effort to develop, and to put suitable controls around the availability of the material.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2013 01:48:40(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The biggest problem as I see it is when others take advantage of your hard work in scanning stuff, to then turn around and try to make a profit from your hard work, without any acknowledgement, even to the point of abusing you when you point out what they are doing. That makes me less inclined to share anything with all and sundry. Currently I'm only really inclined to share items with those who have been members of the forum for some time and who I feel I can trust. Any requests from newbies who as their first post ask for the world, generally get ignored, for the above reasons. Sad, but that's the corner I've been backed into. It only takes one or two plonkers to ruin it for everyone else.

I know that Juhan, as part of his site revamping, is looking at introducing an area where resource materials can be made available on this site, but that takes time and effort to develop, and to put suitable controls around the availability of the material.

Yep, all understood. Rather damned if you do and damned if you don't.

These smaller specific item leaflets are possibly better suited to posting in a specific topic like I have done with the Railbus example, and I am happy to do a few others as well so long as it won't overload the forum or have other unintended consequences.

Any objections Juhan?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2013 02:14:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
BTW, I have that VT95 Railbus!
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2013 04:22:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Sneaky Grrrr - I hate you!!

I mean, you're a great guy, but I still hate you Razz

Well, the one I REALLY want, although not quite a Railbus, is the Catenary Maintenance Unit 37790 with the operating Platform and Pantograph. Drool Drool Drool

That should read 'Märklin 39970' and or 'Märklin 39972' /BDNZ

PS - If anyone has the leaflet for this, I'd like a copy

Edited by moderator 21 April 2013 12:27:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
39970.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2013 04:35:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Just to rub salt into the wound........
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
39980_01.jpg
Offline Ausipeet  
#7 Posted : 16 April 2013 07:52:06(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
would be wonderful to have access online in here to all sorts of written material Cookie but sadly even DRM is not secure anymore, it is easy to break and not have to worry about it, i have a kindle and DRM does not factor into my reading on the kindle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings about the only way to protect documents is to set up a web site with secure veiwing rights and not being able to right click and download doc. or safe as jpeg and such.
just my five pennies worth

Peet from Adelaide
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2013 07:57:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
In 2006 they retooled, and produced a magnificent 6-page brochure which is just magic
They didn't retool the VT 95.9, instead they made new moulds for the VT 98.9.
And while we're at it: Märklin never made an H0 model of the Flying Hamburger (would be nice to see one - Kato made the Flying Hamburger, but it is 1:87 and looks odd beside Märklin's "Bauart Hamburg" in "new longer length").

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 16 April 2013 08:38:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   

As well as a "Thank" button , we also need a "You Rotten Bastard" button.. LOL

"Thank" this post if you support this proposal!

Note: for those not from Australia or NZ - It is a term of endearment.. It does not mean decomposed person without parents.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Paul59  
#10 Posted : 16 April 2013 09:39:57(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   

Me too - it's great BigGrin BigGrin

Sorry about the shaky video - and the scruffy state of the layout - it was my test track that just sort of grew!

Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2013 12:02:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

As well as a "Thank" button , we also need a "You Rotten Bastard" button.. LOL

"Thank" this post if you support this proposal!

Note: for those not from Australia or NZ - It is a term of endearment.. It does not mean decomposed person without parents.. Blushing

Good luck explaining that to the rest of the world.

It ranks up there with calling someone a 'real good prick' - well, at least WE know it's a compliment BigGrin

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline petestra  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2013 22:30:21(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Very nice video, Paul. I didn't think it was shaky at all. As an old analog guy I loved the

digital sound of the V95. Well done! Cheers,Peter

ThumpUp Smile
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 16 April 2013 23:15:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
In 2006 they retooled, and produced a magnificent 6-page brochure which is just magic
They didn't retool the VT 95.9, instead they made new moulds for the VT 98.9.
And while we're at it: Märklin never made an H0 model of the Flying Hamburger (would be nice to see one - Kato made the Flying Hamburger, but it is 1:87 and looks odd beside Märklin's "Bauart Hamburg" in "new longer length").

Tom, you are quite right of course. I was being a little 'lazy' in my posting. I took the 'retooling' comment from the start of the third page of the brochure that I attached stating "Completely new tooling...." - my point was more that this brochure contained a wonderful story about the 'Railbus', regardless of the exact class/variation etc. A 'railbus' is a 'railbus' is a 'railbus' and they are about as iconic in the world of Marklin as the 3000 and Croks BigGrin

Similarly with the 'Flying Hamburger' - and once again, my reference was to the large announcement poster which covered the history of the model from the original VT 877, and which I believe was the genesis for the subsequent VT 137 "Hamburg Design". I have heard a number of people refer to the newer model as still "the flying hamburger", but I accept it is not historically correct.

I am suitably and humbly chastised Blushing

MfG

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Paul59  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2013 00:56:08(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thanks Peter,

I've only just finished converting to digital so most of my locos don't have sound. i do like the railbus though as the sound is very distinctive.

I must get around to building a proper layout one day. I tend to lay out the track, get it working and then start getting other ideas!

Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline PMPeter  
#15 Posted : 17 April 2013 05:13:01(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Great video Paul. Makes me want to head into the basement and start converting my railbus.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 17 April 2013 08:36:07(UTC)
H0

I have heard a number of people refer to the newer model as still "the flying hamburger", but I accept it is not historically correct.
I know I'm fighting windmills.

BTW: V 95 would be a diesel loco. It takes a T to make it a rail car. The part behind the dot has a meaning (indicates the type of transmission), sometimes it is significant.
The Flying Hamburger was registered as SVT 04.0, one Bauart Hamburg was registered as SVT 04.5 (Märklin made two H0 models of this one), the other Bauart Hamburg became SVT 04.1.

SVT 137 is not a class (Baureihe). DRG listed rail cars like coaches and the 137xxx numbers were used for rail cars as they came (using two blocks for the Bauart Hamburg as it was made in two batches). "SVT 137" can refer to several completely different classes of rail cars.

Many incorrect or ambiguous terms are clear when talking about Märklin H0 only.

@all: You can always edit your posts to correct errors.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Tom Jessop  
#17 Posted : 17 April 2013 11:54:52(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
In Oz we have a OLD Bastards Club which covers all of OZ ,it is a paid up members group in which members can ask fellow members to see their membership card if greeted in the manner of " How you going you old bastard" if the person being spoken to cannot show their old bastards membership card they are then fined a considerable amount which is then given to charity at the end of the year.

Regards,

Tom in Oz [who is not a member of the Old Bastards club but is often referred to as one].
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop