Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roman  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2013 19:51:36(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello all,
Has anyone found replacement LED bulbs for older locomotives in bulk prices? I've seen them individually for $3.50-$5 USD so far. I would like to replace my older analog locomotive lights for something brighter. Accuracy and complicated wiring need not apply. Just plug and play replacements. Also a chart of substitute numbers would be helpful as well. Thank you.
Roman
Offline Hoffmann  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2013 20:40:12(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Roman,

Try trainaids.com

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline kbvrod  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2013 20:47:24(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,
Has anyone found replacement LED bulbs for older locomotives in bulk prices? I've seen them individually for $3.50-$5 USD so far. I would like to replace my older analog locomotive lights for something brighter. Accuracy and complicated wiring need not apply. Just plug and play replacements. Also a chart of substitute numbers would be helpful as well. Thank you.Roman

Hi Roman,all,
LED's are not bulbs but Light Emitting Diodes in ceramic casing. Plug and Play for analog loks???
You can buy LED's with no wires(cheaper) you will still have to solder a resistor and a diode on the wires!

Dr D

Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2013 23:20:57(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
yes, some solder WILL be needed, as for bulk prices, just buy on ebay from China,

Now i am waiting for those:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I needed a red 3 mm for a tail light on a Rheingold coach a time ago, bought 500 in a nice compartment box of all colors and diameters for 10 USD.....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2013 23:47:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Marklin compatible LED lights are available from this ebay dealer -

http://stores.ebay.de/tu...mp;_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2013 00:07:46(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I have tried some but the porblem is that in old locos with the common ground the flickering is so annoying that you can have seizures......BigGrin
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2013 00:17:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
I have tried some but the porblem is that in old locos with the common ground the flickering is so annoying that you can have seizures......BigGrin

Well, you could put some music on and boogie to the flickering instead! Instant Disco lights!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Online river6109  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2013 00:20:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
try ledbaron.de, they have a variety of led's and I think they are the cheapest I've found.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Roman  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2013 02:43:19(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Thanks all for the leads and insight.

franciscohg,
In reference to the flickering, are you referring to the locomotives that have lights that don't change over with the change in direction but both ends are always lit or does it matter? Will the resister and diode eliminate the flickering or are the two parts necessary for the little LED's, if used, not the light bulb replacements ?

As far as the bayonet and screw in style of replacement bulbs sold as LED's, what else has to be done to use them effectively or why bother? If necessary, and as referred to above, what resister and diode to get and if there is a link or photo available to see the finished wiring, please post.

Thanks again,
Roman
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 09 March 2013 07:25:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Roman, the LED's on the ebay site I made reference to have an inbuilt resistor. All you have to do is apply voltage - between 4v and 22v DC or AC.
Offline Roman  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2013 16:22:11(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Roman, the LED's on the ebay site I made reference to have an inbuilt resistor. All you have to do is apply voltage - between 4v and 22v DC or AC.

Thank you. I was a bit confused by the replies. I'd like to try them.
Roman
Offline kbvrod  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2013 20:55:45(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   

Thank you. I was a bit confused by the replies. I'd like to try them. Roman

Hi Roman,all,
You have to solder a resistor in one of the wires to lower the voltage feed to the LED,this applies to analogue and some digital (some decoders have resistors built in to the decoder) I would strongly advise also soldering a diode to the other wire as the reverse voltage can knock out the the LED.

Dr D

Offline kariosls37  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2013 21:24:02(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks all for the leads and insight.

franciscohg,
In reference to the flickering, are you referring to the locomotives that have lights that don't change over with the change in direction but both ends are always lit or does it matter? Will the resister and diode eliminate the flickering or are the two parts necessary for the little LED's, if used, not the light bulb replacements ?

The flickering is caused by attaching one side of the bulb to the chassis(as is the case on most older locos) and the other side to the decoder output. The chassis has the full AC digital signal going through it, but the decoder only puts out DC. This mismatch causes a high-ish frequency flicker that is similar to say an immitation candle.

To solve this, you need to eliminnate the bulb's connection to the chassis. As LED's are smaller and contain wires instead of sockets, it makes them an easy way to eliminate the flicker problem.
Offline kbvrod  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2013 22:42:25(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hello all,
Has anyone found replacement LED bulbs for older locomotives in bulk prices? I've seen them individually for $3.50-$5 USD so far. I would like to replace my older analog locomotive lights for something brighter. Accuracy and complicated wiring need not apply. Just plug and play replacements. Also a chart of substitute numbers would be helpful as well. Thank you.
Roman

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2013 22:48:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Confused Confused Confused
Offline Webmaster  
#16 Posted : 09 March 2013 22:52:26(UTC)
Webmaster

The thing is to remember that you also need resistors and maybe plain diodes/rectifier bridge to make LED's work as a replacement for bulbs... All depends on the installation...

If you need plain 3mm "warm-white" flat-top LED's for replacing bulbs in locos, I have "some".... PM me if you are interested...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline onkelnorbert  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2019 23:19:06(UTC)
onkelnorbert

United States   

I know this is old, but you really need to do 3 things here when using an LED instead of the standard incandescent bulbs. 1. Use a resistor (as needed) to control voltage to the LED (most LED's are around 2v-2.5v). 2. Use a full-wave bridge rectifier (has a diode in it), something cheap like 100v 1amp will do, and lets you input AC or reverse polarity DC, still allowing the LED to work. 3. Use a Capacitor (of around 25v 1000uF) to stop any flickering, whether directly because of AC grounded E5.5 bulb sockets -or- because of imperfections in or dirt on the track. Really, that's all you need.

Cheers,
Pete
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 31 January 2019 01:47:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: onkelnorbert Go to Quoted Post

I know this is old, but you really need to do 3 things here when using an LED instead of the standard incandescent bulbs...
Cheers,
Pete

Welcome to the forum Pete and good advice.

I am also in the frozen midwest here in the US and hoping for a little relief soon. I just read that some railroads are setting fires on their tracks to counteract the rail shrinkage due to the cold which currently is significant enough to cause derailments!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline xxup  
#19 Posted : 31 January 2019 01:54:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
.. I just read that some railroads are setting fires on their tracks to counteract the rail shrinkage due to the cold which currently is significant enough to cause derailments!

Ah.. Those pussies.. In Sweden, Norway and Finland -35C is just another day out.. AND all the trains and planes run too..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dickinsonj  
#20 Posted : 31 January 2019 03:13:18(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Ah.. Those pussies.. In Sweden, Norway and Finland -35C is just another day out.. AND all the trains and planes run too..

Yeah - I did wonder about that. Maybe they didn't lay their track well enough and this is the price they are paying. Doing infrastructure right is not something that we seem able to do anymore in this country.

Trains here in the US run through some incredibly cold conditions in the mountains in the west during the worst of the winter weather and under conditions colder than what are shutting down things in the midwest right now.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Online river6109  
#21 Posted : 31 January 2019 04:46:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Yeah - I did wonder about that. Maybe they didn't lay their track well enough and this is the price they are paying. Doing infrastructure right is not something that we seem able to do anymore in this country.

Trains here in the US run through some incredibly cold conditions in the mountains in the west during the worst of the winter weather and under conditions colder than what are shutting down things in the midwest right now.

so long Mc Donalds is open 24 hours a day nobody should have any problems with the cold weather in your part of the woods.LOL

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 31 January 2019 12:09:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: onkelnorbert Go to Quoted Post

I know this is old, but you really need to do 3 things here when using an LED instead of the standard incandescent bulbs...
Cheers,
Pete

Welcome to the forum Pete and good advice.

I am also in the frozen midwest here in the US and hoping for a little relief soon. I just read that some railroads are setting fires on their tracks to counteract the rail shrinkage due to the cold which currently is significant enough to cause derailments!

This BBC Report seems to show them just using fires around points to stop them freezing up.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline skeeterbuck  
#23 Posted : 31 January 2019 13:24:20(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post

The flickering is only with digital. In analog like Roman is using them their shouldn't be any flickering.

Chuck
Offline YannisB  
#24 Posted : 11 May 2019 18:32:19(UTC)
YannisB

United States   
Best source for very inexpensive LED bulbs (but you have to wait till Dec. 26): The day after Christmas go to the stores that sell Christmas tree lights and buy left over strands of lights. They are trying to get rid of their inventory and sell them for practically nothing! Each strand can have hundreds of bulbs. Cut them off and use them as you wish. Don’t forget to attach resistors!
Yannis
Offline YannisB  
#25 Posted : 11 May 2019 18:37:09(UTC)
YannisB

United States   
Best source for very inexpensive LED bulbs (but you have to wait till Dec. 26): The day after Christmas go to the stores that sell Christmas tree lights and buy left over strands of lights. They are trying to get rid of their inventory and sell them for practically nothing! Each strand can have hundreds of bulbs. Cut them off and use them as you wish. Don’t forget to attach resistors!
Yannis
Offline xxup  
#26 Posted : 11 May 2019 23:47:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What I really need is a three prong LED that has a red and white on the same LED.. I have them as a very tiny surface mount, but I can't find them as a 3mm unit..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline dominator  
#27 Posted : 12 May 2019 04:20:48(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Adrian, I have red/white 2MM TOWER led'S. if you need 3mm, check ebay and buy some chinese ones. Let me know if you want to try the 2mm ones I have. These ones switch on the negative side. I bought 100 of them. more than I need but cheap.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline xxup  
#28 Posted : 12 May 2019 09:18:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Dereck.

I found some on AliExpress - probably the same 100 you got? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-through-hole-tower-shape-bicolor-2mm-led-diode-red-warm-white/32967369289.html
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dominator  
#29 Posted : 12 May 2019 09:36:06(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
yes. look the same. Cant remember the supplier though.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Piete  
#30 Posted : 06 April 2022 14:17:44(UTC)
Piete

Australia   
Marklin compatible LED lights are available from this ebay dealer -

http://stores.ebay.de/tu...mp;_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I could not find this product on ebay, but I found another Marklin LED replacement bulb in packs of 10 here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/...0768165?var=592884128295
Does anyone have some feedback using these types of LED replacement bulbs on old M track analogue locos and points etc?
Offline phils2um  
#31 Posted : 07 April 2022 13:03:36(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: Piete Go to Quoted Post
I could not find this product on ebay, but I found another Marklin LED replacement bulb in packs of 10 here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/...0768165?var=592884128295
Does anyone have some feedback using these types of LED replacement bulbs on old M track analogue locos and points etc?

I have not tried these particular lights but have purchased E5.5 base Schönwitz warm white led replacement lights from Modellbahnshop-Lippe https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe...01/gb/modell_269865.html. They have a built-in bridge rectifier and resistor so do not flicker when powered by AC or DCC track power, are insensitive to DC polarity and can handle up to 22V. I use them to replace the incandescent bulbs commonly used in many LGB products. They work quite well on my mfx/DCC garden RR.

The description for the lights in the link you posted say AC and DC so, especially at the price listed, are probably worth taking a flier on. If they don't work out in your locos you should be able to use them elsewhere on your layout. There is one issue you may have in an analog application. There will be some minimum voltage necessary before they light up. The description says 12-19V. Your loco/train may have to be flying along for them to come on! The red and green ones should work well as replacements in the old Märklin signals and warm white in points lanterns where there is a fixed lighting voltage around 15VAC.

Edit added: the price is per light not for ten lights! Not such a bargain but still possibly worth investigating. (I was looking for strike-through but could only find highlight!)

Edited by moderator 08 April 2022 03:50:52(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed URL

Phil S.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#32 Posted : 08 April 2022 03:51:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
(I was looking for strike-through but could only find highlight!)

I was looking for strike-through but could only find highlight!

Use the [ s ] and the [ /s ] tags (remove spaces).

Edited by user 08 April 2022 14:06:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified