Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tiono  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2012 05:31:46(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Released in 2012, Marklin #39023 is a BR 18.3 of Deutsche Reichsbahn in blue livery, and come with mfx decoder plus sound. A display track on wood base is included in the box.
This is an example of Marklin's excellent quality, but at a list-price of 429 euro (I paid a discounted price of 379 euro inclusive german VAT), this is not a break through in term of value. The previous #39022 which is similar in many aspect, except the motor and livery, carry a list-price of 399 euro when released in 2011, but one year later apparently the stock could not be absorbed by the market and Marklin released those excess to some big shops in Germany which then sold it for 299 euro. This stark differences show the fat margin which Marklin is playing on premium items.

The #39023 has metal boiler, metal tender, and use a coreless-motor with flywheel instead of SDS motor as in #39022. It run smoothly on K and C track, negotiate R1 curves and switches without any issue, even at full speed. My only discontentment is the balance between whistle and operating sound. It seems as the whistle sound is too weak compared to the operating sound, I don't know whether the volume of each sound can be adjusted independently. However, in overall I'm satisfied with the quality.

Marklin chose number 18 320 to be printed on this locomotive. But I failed to find any reference to the prototype carrying number 18 320. The german wikipedia: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badische_IV_h
stated that only 20 locomotives had been built, and numbered in three groups:
18 301 – 303
18 311 – 319
18 321 – 328
Clearly there was no 18 320.
Therefore it is either Marklin used imaginary number (no real prototype ever existed) or there was a re-numbering exercise at later days. Does anybody have information on this?

The box:
UserPostedImage

Side view photo of the locomotive on its display track:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Frontal view of the locomotive:
UserPostedImage

Top view:
UserPostedImage

Chassis view, showing two axles with traction tires
UserPostedImage

Printing quality is excellent on plain color, but grainy and a bit unclear on metallic (gold color) due to coarser particle of the paint.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Inside of the boiler, there is LED board, smoke generator contact, and the motor. Nice design with no exposed cog wheel.
UserPostedImage

Inside the tender, there is a decoder with sound module including a loudspeaker, and LED board.
UserPostedImage

Photo of the tender and its bogies
UserPostedImage

Cab-side view of the tender
UserPostedImage

Inside the cab:
UserPostedImage

Front side of the boiler is well detailed with several separately attached parts and cross patterned platform, however, some small platforms are just "line patterned" probably because they were moulded into the chassis/boiler instead of separately attached.
UserPostedImage

The large wheels and "see-through" chassis really close to prototypical appearance of this locomotive. The spokes of the wheels on both sides are precisely aligned, an excellent example of Marklin precision assembly.
UserPostedImage
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2012 06:02:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tiono,

I'm inpressed but as you said for this amount of money who can afford it , at least it has 4 rubber tyres which makes a lot of difference and Piet most probably has one or wouldn't mind getting one like this for his layout of steamlocos.

thanks for sharing your experiences. great detailed photos

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2012 07:44:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
very nice pictures, Thanks for sharing.

Maybe i will buy one if price go down soon.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2012 08:47:52(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Thank you for the detailed presentation and the very nice photos.
Offline tiono  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2012 09:49:52(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
very nice pictures, Thanks for sharing.
Maybe i will buy one if price go down soon.

Steven,
I guess Marklin had already learned from the last two premium releases; #37580 in 2010 and #39022 in 2011.
Both were promoted with a lot fanfare and produced in limited quantity ("one time series"). Marklin fans were enthusiastic.
But soon after the release, #37580 received many unfavourable comments, and the enthusiasm soon died down. Two years later, many shops still have unsold stock despite the so called "limited quantity". (e.g.: Miniatur Wunderland still have 12 pcs, here the link: https://shop.miniatur-wunderland.com/maerklin-37580-br-491-dbag.html )
The #39022 received much better comments than #37580, but after one year the market still did not absorb all of the stocks despite the huge discount. Therefore in releasing #39023, probably Marklin scaled down the production volume to better anticipate market acceptance, especially that europe economy is currently not in good shape. If this guess is correct, then most likely the price will not go down too much. If it goes below 300 euro such as #39022, then surely it makes a good value for money.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2012 12:00:03(UTC)
H0

#39023 is the 2012 Trade Fair model. Dealers could get it based on their pre-orders at he 2012 Nuremburg trade fair.
Earlier Trade Fair models are #37024 (BR 53 camouflage, 2011), #37084 (BR 10 blue/grey, 2010), #39618 (BR 61 DB, 2009) and some others.

Several of those Trade Fair models have been sold for good prices (from a buyer's point of view).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2012 12:15:00(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx Tiono for the great review - I got mine for 319 Euro (without VAT), and having a credit/bonus of 25 Euro at the dealer (Modellbahnshop-lippe) swayed the purchase for me!! Of course 18 odd Euro postage to South Africa has to be factored in.
Is the volume/sound not adjustable? (I have a MS2).
Have you fitted the smoke generator (72270)?
Now I have to wait, and wait, and wait......wasn't there a Beatle song: "Please Mr Postman, have a look and see if there's a letter for me.....??"...that'll be me for the next few weeks...!
thanx again, Joe
Offline Ian555  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2012 14:51:27(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi tiono,

Thanks for the photo's, beautiful looking Loco.ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline tiono  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2012 18:26:23(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post

The sound is adjustable, but I don't know how to adjust the balance of each individual sound (so that I can decrease the volume of operating-sound, but keep the volume of whistle as it is).
I have not fitted any smoke generator, but will fit a Seuthe No.20 later (Marklin 72270 is the same as Seuthe 20).

HO wrote:

#39023 is the 2012 Trade Fair model. Dealers could get it based on their pre-orders at he 2012 Nuremburg trade fair.
Earlier Trade Fair models are #37024 (BR 53 camouflage, 2011), #37084 (BR 10 blue/grey, 2010), #39618 (BR 61 DB, 2009) and some others.

"Trade Fair model" or other scheme, is actually just a marketing strategy. It does not alter the fundamental.
Any mass-product manufacturer will always have a minimum production quantity, from which they calculate the cost price before they can offer to a dealer. (No dealer will put order without knowing the price in advance)
Thus the manufacturer will always make a market projection (predicting the possible saleable quantity).
What happen if finally the total order from dealers is less than the minimum quantity? surely Marklin will not cancel the product, but will sell the excess into market. They may keep the price or give better discount upon knowing the market demand.

Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 12 September 2012 20:23:12(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks Tiono - I doubt if the balance of the different sounds can be adjusted? My 39022 settings simply raise/lower the overall sounds.
What magnificent photographs, simply awesome!
Joe
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2012 20:39:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post
"Trade Fair model" or other scheme, is actually just a marketing strategy. It does not alter the fundamental.
AFAIK there is a difference: dealers get a certain quantity of the fair model based on the orders they place for other new items.
The production run is still rather big - and if the fair model is not sought after, it will be sold with a discount of 50 %.

Neither the 37580 nor the 39022 were limited ("one time series" doesn't mean anything).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tiono  
#12 Posted : 13 September 2012 03:32:01(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
AFAIK there is a difference: dealers get a certain quantity of the fair model based on the orders they place for other new items.
The production run is still rather big - and if the fair model is not sought after, it will be sold with a discount of 50 %.

That sales mechanism is part of the marketing strategy.
My actual point is: whatever the marketing strategy, price fluctuation will always be possible depending on market demand. So whether it is Marklin's regular items, special items, "trade fair" items, etc. there will be chances of price fluctuation.
In this case; if #39023 did not sell well and shops are over-stocked, then the price will drop such as #39022 (and of course; Steven will happily buy it Smile ). This will happen regardless of the scheme.

Quote:
Neither the 37580 nor the 39022 were limited ("one time series" doesn't mean anything).

As far as I know, "one time series" means Marklin will only produce it within one year (or one catalog), thus actually; "time limited item", not "quantity limited item".

Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 13 September 2012 08:14:12(UTC)
H0

That sales mechanism is part of the marketing strategy.
My actual point is: whatever the marketing strategy, price fluctuation will always be possible depending on market demand. So whether it is Marklin's regular items, special items, "trade fair" items, etc. there will be chances of price fluctuation.
There are different mechanisms that determine the number of items that are being made.
If they say 999 there will be 999 (at least there should not be more).
MHI convention locos: two locos per MHI dealer.
Trade fair models: depends on amount of orders for all trade fair new items at the trade fair
MHI items: same amount made for all items of the same scale
One-time series: number determined by M* based on the pre-orders
Insider models: theoretically built to order

The mechanisms of the market work. Offer much larger than demand leads to reduced prices.
So if they build the same amounts of 39804 (V 200, red) and V 160 (37741, red/grey), one would expect that there will be bigger discounts for the plain vanilla V 200 than for the V 160 (new mould, special livery).

They carefully pre-select the models for each "distribution channel", so they won't take an era III main stream model as a Trade Fair item.
With series not built to customer order, there is always the chance of large discounts (not enough demand) - or little to no discounts (high demand).

Not every one-time series ends as Loco of the Month. Not every Loco of the Month will be sold with a discount of 50 % (but some are).

The 39023 is currently offered for 349.95 € (incl. VAT). And at least four have been sold in eBay auctions for less than 305 € (incl. VAT) during the last fortnight.
Many active auctions currently.

Trade Fair items are limited by number, but the demand for an era II loco with a fantasy number (and maybe even a fantasy livery) is still lower.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline tiono  
#14 Posted : 13 September 2012 10:26:24(UTC)
tiono

United States   

The 39023 is currently offered for 349.95 € (incl. VAT). And at least four have been sold in eBay auctions for less than 305 € (incl. VAT) during the last fortnight.
Many active auctions currently.
Trade Fair items are limited by number, but the demand for an era II loco with a fantasy number (and maybe even a fantasy livery) is still lower.

Thanks for your explanation Tom.

So it is wise to wait for the price to drop before buying.
Soon or later, most likely Marklin have to change their strategy. Those "special items" strategy, is basically a tactic to boost customers' ego so that they willing to fork out more money. This kind of strategy suitable only to those high-end products.

My fantasy blue loco is now pulling the old Liliput blue Rheingold set (#382003)
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 13 September 2012 11:08:40(UTC)
H0

Some folks waited for the "Sendung mit der Maus" show train to become cheap - it seems they waited in vain.
While most items become cheap, some are sought after and keep their price.
But you always get your chance a few years later on the second hand market.

The strategy to make a few too many may work in the long run. But often they make more than just a few too many.
And with too many items selling cheap after a short time, they "train" customer to shy away from pre-orders and wait for the clearance sales. This won't work in the long run.

BTW: There is nothing wrong with fantasy locos. I also have a few. I like blue locos and this one looks really nice.
But era II is not my main interest (well, this shouldn't really make a difference for a fantasy model) so I think I won't buy this one (too many wishes left at the end of the budget).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline tiono  
#16 Posted : 13 September 2012 16:28:55(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Some folks waited for the "Sendung mit der Maus" show train to become cheap - it seems they waited in vain.
While most items become cheap, some are sought after and keep their price.
But you always get your chance a few years later on the second hand market.

Of course, there is always risk and gain.

Quote:
The strategy to make a few too many may work in the long run. But often they make more than just a few too many.
And with too many items selling cheap after a short time, they "train" customer to shy away from pre-orders and wait for the clearance sales. This won't work in the long run.

I'm sure soon or later Marklin will change their strategy.
By encouraging customers to shy away from pre-orders will create distortion into production planning. For example; supposed there are 1000 customers want to buy item A, but only 400 doing pre-orders, the rest is waiting for clearance sales. In that situation, Marklin "loss" 600 orders which supposed to be booked if they do not use those "special" strategy.
Well..... I have decided that my future purchases of Marklin "special items" will not pre-order ..... Smile

Quote:
BTW: There is nothing wrong with fantasy locos. I also have a few. I like blue locos and this one looks really nice.
But era II is not my main interest (well, this shouldn't really make a difference for a fantasy model) so I think I won't buy this one (too many wishes left at the end of the budget).

Of course nothing wrong with fantasy.
I'm happy with that blue loco, it is an example of Marklin's fine quality. I purchased that loco because the color matches well with my blue Rheingold era II coaches.
Here is the photo of the blue fantasy loco pulling the Rheingold:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#17 Posted : 13 September 2012 19:00:47(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
That's what model trains are all about - we immerse ourselves in a fantasy world! I love "other than Black" locos, so I bought the 39022 Green loco era I last year, and so when the 39023 Blue era II came out, I could not resist!
Life is so mundane at times, so viva Fantasy trains! Long may we ENJOY our fantasy world.....
Joe
Offline Nielsenr  
#18 Posted : 14 September 2012 00:50:49(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Fantasy loco or not, I don't care ... it is a beautiful loco ... pre-ordered mine and just waiting for delivery to the US ...

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline xxup  
#19 Posted : 14 September 2012 09:58:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
Fantasy loco or not, I don't care ... it is a beautiful loco ... pre-ordered mine and just waiting for delivery to the US ...

Robert

I agree.. ThumpUp I just ordered mine too! Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline jeehring  
#20 Posted : 19 September 2012 01:23:45(UTC)
jeehring

Marklin chose number 18 320 to be printed on this locomotive. But I failed to find any reference to the prototype carrying number 18 320. The german wikipedia: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badische_IV_h
stated that only 20 locomotives had been built, and numbered in three groups:
18 301 – 303
18 311 – 319
18 321 – 328
Clearly there was no 18 320.
Therefore it is either Marklin used imaginary number (no real prototype ever existed) or there was a re-numbering exercise at later days. Does anybody have information on this?

]

Tiono, no this is not an imaginary number, absolutely not.
No this is not a fantasy model .
The numbering provided by Wikipedia is the final & official numbering which has emerged and became effective only on 1925 for steam locomotives, on 1927 for electric locomotives.
Number and all the markings on the Marklin model are perfectly consistent .
A bit of history :
In the process of unification of the DRG there were 3 successive numbering plans. The third one was the final plan. The Marklin model represents a locomotive well before 1925 with one of these intermediate classifications and still wearing the blue livery of Bade Railways .... Which is correct!(before they paint them in black with red wheels, it took some time)
To better understand:
DRG was the unification of 8 different companies, each one with its standards, its liveries, its gauges, templates, etc ...
In total : 8200 locomotives, more than 400 different types, for which they had to find a unified classification system. It doesn't happen in one day....even if prior work to unify the numbering began before 1920 .

thank you very much for your report with nice pictures....

Edited by user 19 September 2012 11:04:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline foumaro  
#21 Posted : 19 September 2012 08:15:34(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

Robert

This is the perfect answer.BigGrin LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 19 September 2012 09:36:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Tiono, no this is not an imaginary number, absolutely not.
No this is not a fantasy model .
The numbering provided by Wikipedia is the final & official numbering which has emerged and became effective only on 1925 for steam locomotives, on 1927 for electric locomotives.
Number and all the markings on the Marklin model are perfectly consistent .
A bit of history:
Ah, I see.
Any sources for your information?
Manufacturer number of the 18 320 available?
Which number did it have in era I?
The locos I found are bad. IV h 49, 64, 95, 1000 through 1016. Was 18 320 one of this list or a different locomotive?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#23 Posted : 19 September 2012 09:56:43(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post

Robert

This is the perfect answer.BigGrin LOL

Love

Offline jeehring  
#24 Posted : 19 September 2012 12:40:57(UTC)
jeehring

All the markings are fully consistent with datas coming from history books about the unification process of numberings. There were two preliminary classification systems .
...the appearance of this locomotive is the last before the introduction of the final common classification which will be accompanied by the definitive painting in black and red ( We can see 2 different mentions with the date 15-10-24 )
1920 is the date of delivery from production .
" Karlsrhuhe" is the manufacturer :the very last batches were coming from MGB Karlsruhe (by memory : the last 6 units***) All other units were built by MAFFEI....
" Offenburg " is the place of the Depot.
S 36 = pacific type.( The "S" originally came from the Prussian classification = Schnellzug locomotiven = loks for Express trains/fast trains. At first they were inspired by the Prussian classification . 36 = wheel arrangement.)
17 = weight on 1 axle (median axle).

*** I don't remember wether the last 6 units or the last 3 units. This must be checked .... when I have time...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#25 Posted : 19 September 2012 13:37:28(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
I think that is a perfectly wonderful steamer and the colour is gorgeous - I already have a blue Rheingold otherwise...............................

As for it being a fantasy lok - well a little fantasy is good, no??

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jeremy Palmer
Offline jeehring  
#26 Posted : 19 September 2012 13:55:33(UTC)
jeehring

a little fantasy is good, but...
I'm really sorry : about the NUMBER & markings this one is not fantasy !Angry Cursing Wink Wink
This lok is mentioned as from the DR. This corresponds to a period between 1920 and 1924.
The document formalizing the establishment of the DRG was published August 31, 1924.
The official classification mentionned by Wikipedia is the DRG classification , it did not came before 1925 !
Add the fact that they didn't re-paint them within one day !
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 19 September 2012 14:30:15(UTC)
H0

I'm really sorry : about the NUMBER & markings this one is not fantasy!
The loco is mentioned as from the DRG, not the DR.
If this 18 320 was not fantasy, then it must have had a different number before 1920 and it must have had a different number after 1925. So far I haven't found a reliable source that confirms interim numbers with a 18 320.
With the information available, I presume it is fantasy.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline tiono  
#28 Posted : 19 September 2012 14:37:09(UTC)
tiono

United States   
hi jeehring,

Thanks for your information.
So actually 18 320 was not fantasy number, but real number which belong to DR.
But upon looking that info, I wonder why the printed name on the locomotive is: Deutsche Reichsbahn ?
If it was a DR locomotive, then the name should be Deutsche Reichseisenbahnen.
(Deutsche Reichsbahn is referring to DRG, and the name exist only after 1924).

Quoted from wikipedia:

It was founded in 1920 as the Deutsche Reichseisenbahnen when the Weimar Republic (formally Deutsches Reich – "German Empire" – hence the usage of "Reich" in the name of the railway) took national control of the German railways, which had previously been run by the German states.
In 1924 it was reorganized under the aegis of the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG)

Offline jeehring  
#29 Posted : 19 September 2012 22:51:33(UTC)
jeehring

Tiono,
....As an acronym, The February 1, 1925, the acronym DRG is used for the first time to qualify the railways.
July 3, 1925 ,Julius Dorpmüller became the first CEO of the DRG . (official history of DRG)

At the administrative level, the DRG was officially founded August 30, 1924, as I said in a previous message.
As the markings show the date of October 1924, we may say that this machine belongs to the DRG (with former markings from intermediate classification) .
I think that it is fully consistent with the Marklin leaflet as well (?). I don't have it but I read it once, as I was at the shop.
It still does not answer your question completely... I'll try some investigation when I have time.
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 19 September 2012 23:39:50(UTC)
H0

" Karlsrhuhe" is the manufacturer :the very last batches were coming from MGB Karlsruhe (by memory : the last 6 units***) All other units were built by MAFFEI....
All units were built by Maffei, Munich - including this one as you can see on the cylinder block.

Rbd Karlsruhe indicates the headquarter this loco belongs to (Reichsbahndirektion), Offenburg is the depot.

Do I see No. 5085 and 1920 on the cylinder block? Loco 18 311 had number 5086, but was made in 1919 already.
The locos from 1920 had numbers 5107 through 5114.

Locos had been made in three batches: three in the first batch (1918), 9 in the second batch (1919), 8 in the third batch (1920).

Fantasy data on the cylinder block, so with very high probability the 18 320 is also fantasy.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#31 Posted : 20 September 2012 01:16:01(UTC)
jeehring

Do I see No. 5085 and 1920 on the cylinder block? ..... fantasy.

I see 5095 and 1920...Difficult to say...
I got pictures of the DRG 18314...it is given with Maffei number 5089....which is fully consistent with the number 5086 of your 18311. But I don't see any date written anywhere... !
What are the Maffei numbers of the 3 loks BAD IV h1 ?
For the rest I'll check...
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 20 September 2012 14:51:37(UTC)
H0

The three locos made in 1918 had numbers below 5000.
18 319 has number 5094. 18 321 has number 5107.
The batches 18 311 through 319 and 18 321 through 328 have consecutive numbers without gaps (with a large gap between 319 and 321).

A total of 20 locos has been made - and none had the number 5085 or 5095 or 5035. Any other numbers to be guessed from the cylinder plate?

Loco 120 159 read "Das Original gibts bei Märklin". It looks as if #39023 is the original.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#33 Posted : 21 September 2012 18:11:07(UTC)
jeehring

What was the registration number mentionned on the Marklin model 39320 with black livery ?
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#34 Posted : 27 September 2012 20:09:02(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Thanx Tiono for the great review - I got mine for 319 Euro (without VAT), and having a credit/bonus of 25 Euro at the dealer (Modellbahnshop-lippe) swayed the purchase for me!! Of course 18 odd Euro postage to South Africa has to be factored in.
Now I have to wait, and wait, and wait......wasn't there a Beatle song: "Please Mr Postman, have a look and see if there's a letter for me.....??"...that'll be me for the next few weeks...!
thanx again, Joe

...And the long wait is over.BigGrin .went to the local Post Office today to collect the 39023. What a magnificent loco. Sounds are simply awesome, very well synchronized, smoker (fitted by dealer for me) works well, and the loco simply runs beautifully.
Ran it alongside 39022 this afternoon, and I must say, a quite stunning sight to see and hear these 2 extraordinary locos chuffing around....
Now where can I get some matching blue coaches....mmm....RollEyes
I shall sleep well toniteLove
Joe

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline foumaro  
#35 Posted : 28 September 2012 06:33:23(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Enjoy the great steamers and post some photos for us please.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Dave Banks  
#36 Posted : 28 September 2012 12:24:02(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Joe, is this the registration number you were looking for (18 321)?

Marklin #39020
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline H0  
#37 Posted : 28 September 2012 13:55:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
Hello Joe, is this the registration number you were looking for (18 321)?
Roland asked for that number. I think he's looking for the manufacturer number given on the plate on the cylinder block.
To support his theory, the number should not be 5107.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#38 Posted : 28 September 2012 21:00:05(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks Dave - sent you an e- mail
greetings from a cold and still wet Cape Town!
Joe
Offline xxup  
#39 Posted : 19 October 2012 13:06:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Mine arrived today from the USA.. Smile Maybe I will get time for a quick run tomorrow.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline GlennM  
#40 Posted : 19 October 2012 14:33:33(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Beautiful loco, shown off with some excellent photography.

Thanks for sharing

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#41 Posted : 20 October 2012 13:01:21(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Mine arrived today from the USA.. Smile Maybe I will get time for a quick run tomorrow.. Blushing

...ENJOY!!...truly a beautiful loco, to look at, and to run!
I just need some "matching blue" coaches now...!!
Joe

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Alfa V8  
#42 Posted : 22 October 2012 21:25:51(UTC)
Alfa V8

Very nice model locomotive, absolutely beautifull photo's.

Hannes
Every day provides new opertunities. H0 mostly Marklin, still using my 6021, LGB in Gauge 1, live steam in larger gauges.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alfa V8
Offline steventrain  
#43 Posted : 28 October 2012 09:41:55(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Price is down on ebay.de.Unsure

Price from 329 euro.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline xxup  
#44 Posted : 28 October 2012 11:45:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   

Price from 329 euro.

Still more than I paid from the USA.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Shintaro  
#45 Posted : 30 October 2012 05:27:54(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   
XXUP - was the price around US$350 ?????
I'm about to purhase this loco as well.

Has anyone fitted the loco with a 7226 smoke generator, if so, how did it perform ??
Offline H0  
#46 Posted : 30 October 2012 07:55:34(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Price from 329 euro.
Real bargains on eBay.de are made with auctions, not with buy-now offers.

During the recent 15 days, 16 locos have been sold for less than 300 Euro, 2 (of those 16) were below 270 Euro (prices incl. VAT). 2 were sold for 300 or more Euro.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#47 Posted : 30 October 2012 08:34:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shintaro Go to Quoted Post

Has anyone fitted the loco with a 7226 smoke generator, if so, how did it perform ??

A little bit more, but the killer was the $50 freight..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#48 Posted : 30 October 2012 09:20:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   

Has anyone fitted the loco with a 7226 smoke generator.

The loco have small chimmy request 72270 smoke unit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#49 Posted : 30 October 2012 11:25:49(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   

I got my 39023 from Modellbahnshop-lippe; they fitted the 72270 smoker for me, and it works very well. Good "quality" smoke - not as long lasting as the 7226's but a nice steady "stream" of smoke. But it is a small bowl, so a syringe is necessary! I found the best with the 72270's is to place the syringe right to the bottom of the bowl, and SLOWLY kill up with liquid - not more than half full! OhMyGod If you do tend to overfill, its easy to exract the excess oil with the syringe again.. RollEyes
(With my credit points built up at Modellbahnshop-lippe I "only" paid 294 Euro - but of course the 18 euro postage to SA is the killer!!)
...But what a beauty of a beast to behold...Love
Joe
Offline Shintaro  
#50 Posted : 31 October 2012 04:56:12(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   
Joe, XXUP,

Thanks for the reply's.
I originally thought the 72270 was the correct product, but in an auction, the description stated that the 7226 was to be fitted.
Thank for the information - and the tips.

Cheers.