Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nielsenr  
#201 Posted : 06 January 2011 18:27:35(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I have heard the same rumor. Now, if I win the Powerball Lottery ... hmmmm .... LOL!!
Offline nevw  
#202 Posted : 07 January 2011 00:56:32(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
BUT the big question on this roomer is will Marklin renew the contract???? or start again where they were before with Marklin USA.
That is the question.
Another is Does Walthers want the distribution Contract.
Do the dealers want Walthers and or the right to buy direct again

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#203 Posted : 07 January 2011 02:55:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Its not a healthy situation, changing and chopping.
It doesn't leave much çonfidence in peoples mind to outlay money and than everything is taking away under your feet.

Märklin should also be aware of it, bigger players in the industry have their profit margins set at a higher rate.
This may not suit every manufacturer who sits and waits for items to be sold.

You don't have to be Einstein to calculate or to compare previous sales to the US.

I think this is why Märklin concentrates on the European market and what ever comes out of the other sales in other countries is a bonus, regardless how small these sales are.

It's not a policy, if it is one, I would pursuit.

What ever is locally manufactured, you can order by the dozen, when it comes to overseas orders you have to buy them a.) minimum amount, b.) container loads and c, there is a lot of dead money tied up in the whole affair, e.g. common spare parts.
Another nightmare could be, having individuals ordering from Märklin direct, is not everybody's Accountant's dream.

Walthers have numerous other local products on their shelf and if memory serves me right, cheaper products sell quicker than more expensive ones.
The end scenario is or could be, Walthers may agreed or instigated becoming a distributor but realized there is realy no money in it do pursue it any further.

For a company like Märklin to change hands at the top end and at the same time change their policies every time, is not a way to go.
I think former Märklin US must of thought: What are they doing, they're destroying a volatile market, we've build over the years with good faith and a lot of effort.

It doesn't seem Marklin is preparing a come back to counter attack, damage control.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Marius in Africa  
#204 Posted : 07 January 2011 17:06:48(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
Keep buying lads, keep buying!

I will happily comply IF Marlin produce the models which make my knees go week and my wallet flop open.BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline jeehring  
#205 Posted : 13 January 2011 00:49:33(UTC)
jeehring

...a question : did the factory in Goppingen work last december ? (2010). According to....let's say " a rumour", ...an important part of workers didn't work in December...Is it true ?
Offline jeehring  
#206 Posted : 16 January 2011 17:32:47(UTC)
jeehring

....it has been confirmed from an other source that, at Goppingen most of workers didn't work between early december untill about second week of January....(a majority of them - with some departments entirely closed)
On the followed link (already, partly published on this forum) , this is probably what Mr Pluta said to be " an adjustment of their entire cost structure to the reduced expected turnover in the second half of 2010...(...)...to reach a guarranteed achievement of the originally planned EBIT result....

http://origin.library.co...ress_release_ajckids.pdf

.....it seems that we are probably not far from certain limits of the system....(considering that delivery of some already ordered 2010 items has been postponed ...)
Offline H0  
#207 Posted : 16 January 2011 18:07:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
....it has been confirmed from an other source that, at Goppingen most of workers didn't work between early december untill about second week of January....(a majority of them - with some departments entirely closed)

Where was this confirmed?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#208 Posted : 20 January 2011 10:41:24(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Another issue:

Which one would Marklin use (as asked above)? Trix or Marklin? 2-rail or 3-rail?
2-rail means a great deal of compromise with other markets - while still trying to be distinctive.
3-rail may mean being too different, too rigid, maybe even unprototypical (look at those wipers!)

Bingo.

Marklin can't continue to release the broad range of models that it has in the past. That's why it dropped the 4MFOR line. The current catalogue is talking up US models to attract US buyers; and the multi-contoller packs and the I-phone apps to attract a younger market with lots of cash. Both are markets it doesn't have a lot of access to.

There appears to be no limit to how much cash can be spent on Xbox and Playstation. Currently the users of these systems would laugh if offered a traditional train set (srsly WTF?) Huh . Offer the same market a two-console toy that can be controlled with their i-Phone, suddenly a lot of wallets might be looking a Brand name they haven't even heard of.

If these strategies don't work out, expect Marklin to drop or sell off the TRIX nameplate. How can they justify the costs of producing, packaging and marketing two lines of what is identical product (more or less)? Economic rationalism will prevail.

Achtung y'all.
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#209 Posted : 20 January 2011 12:15:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi All,

Which ever way you look at it, parents who introduce their children into a diverse communication learning program over years, will it either be sport, trains or other interactive games or toys.
Children who haven't been bought up with these interactive and communications skills will play these computer games day in day out.
No model train manufacturer will be able control uncontrollable children by introducing gadgets, which may last for a couple of month before they get bored.

John
Offline rhtastro  
#210 Posted : 17 February 2011 05:04:49(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
Interesting topic (I usually don't get into these subjects) and by those who know much more of this than I do. I surveyed my layout and the following was discovered. Ten locos, some are doubles, with 8 being Marklin and made in Germany and 1 from Italy and one from China. The latter 2 were converted from 2r to 3r digital using Marklin parts, wheels and motors.

There are 10 passenger cars which are tinplate and made in Germany by Marklin. 58 freight cars, all of which were made by Marklin with 15 being tinplate and 43 of plastic with metal frames. The tinplates were made in Germany in the 80's, 90's and early 0's. The plastic models were all made in China within the last 10 years. All models are very good to excellent, both tinplate and plastic. All the models are from American or Canadian prototypes. The C-track and switches are from Germany and Hungary.

Question: is M producing models in China today? If you really want lower prices, that's the way. The huge 2R market sold and used here is nearly all made in China or SE Asia. That's your ticket to low prices and then we'll see you in Walmart? Would you buy it? That would help solvency and it's the only way M will ever succeed in the US. Also, it's gotta be 2R.

If I was running M, I'd make models galore for the American market, in China, including locos, and use heavy advertising to push sales in department stores and mail order plus hobby dealers, and with low prices. Use DCC, 2R and all the works. They would gain market sales pretty quick. Profits would soar. Meanwhile, all you purists would still be happy with the usual EU type models made the same old 3R way and with the high prices you now pay. Also, the company would be solvent again and in business for the long haul.

Everyone's happy. The bankers, the purists and the young hobbyists. Someday, when the youngsters get the big bucks they'll convert to the purist agenda too. Marklin would have 2 levels, one for the new young modelers and one for the old guys with all the money. It's the way to do it in this modern world and would bring a lot of youth back into model RR. I can see it now, on the way home from school, they'll turn on their set using a cell phone device and have it going by the time they're home. They could even show their friends the trains going around, on their phones.

Bob, from the boonies
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#211 Posted : 17 February 2011 05:51:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rhtastro Go to Quoted Post
Also, it's gotta be 2R.

In that case it will be called Trix, not Märklin. Märklin is forever associated with 3 rails.
Offline H0  
#212 Posted : 17 February 2011 09:22:27(UTC)
H0

Question: is M producing models in China today?

No, they don't. Germany and Hungary only.

But they buy from Chinese companies.
No Märklin plant in China, but some Märklin moulds are there ...

Other threads:
https://www.marklin-user...px#post267499#post267499
https://www.marklin-user...px#post245785#post245785
https://www.marklin-user...aspx#post92975#post92975
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#213 Posted : 17 February 2011 11:25:06(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I will not buying any models from Made in China because lack of collector idea and too many limited edition.

Models Made in Germany is a very collector items.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#214 Posted : 17 February 2011 14:55:42(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Question: is M producing models in China today?

No, they don't. Germany and Hungary only.

But they buy from Chinese companies.
No Märklin plant in China, but some Märklin moulds are there ...

Other threads:
https://www.marklin-user...px#post267499#post267499
https://www.marklin-user...px#post245785#post245785
https://www.marklin-user...aspx#post92975#post92975

A more correct answer would be, not anymore! There were some Marklin models made in China up to mid 2010.
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marius in Africa
Offline H0  
#215 Posted : 17 February 2011 17:47:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Marius in Africa Go to Quoted Post
A more correct answer would be, not anymore!

Would it be more correct? Would it be correct at all?
Sanda Kan/Kader terminated their contract with Märklin mid 2010, but said they'd fulfill their duties.
So production didn't end mid 2010 (unless the contract had a very short notive period); Märklin said that Xmas business was not affected, so I presume the contract ran at least until end of 2010.

At the same time (mid 2010) newspapers reported that M* negotiated with other companies in China and that negotiations were close to signing contracts.

Our friends in America will be able to say if the 2011 new items will still come with Made in China stickers ...

See here:
http://www.bahnonline.ch...gung-china-sanda-kan.htm
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#216 Posted : 17 February 2011 18:46:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It looks to me like the long term aim is to replace the Chinese production with production at Goppingen and Gyor. In the short term some production continues to avoid supply problems.

In any case it's only a small percentage of production that's being done in China (less than 10%). Though it doesn't really bother me where the stuff is made as long as they have good quality control in place, I know that some people would much rather all production be returned to Europe.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline old toot  
#217 Posted : 17 February 2011 19:30:01(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
It was mainly the Z that was being made in china
but they have brought that back to germany
like a lot of european manafacturers are doing
So far as trix its never been easier for them
they are making the same models as for Marklin
and with the new ac/dc decoders they only have to
change the wheel/pickup set up and its a trix unit
so they can basically go down the line together
for 90% of production and with their New Cad
system its a peice of cake to change from
one z to N to Ho to I which is why they put it in last year
they had a few problems in Dec due to Supplys reaching the
Factory but that was due to the Bad Snow and they emailed us
about that it was upsetting both stuff incoming and outgoing
and as they had had a very hard last 24 months Pluta may 'have grabbed
the chance to rest his staff over christmas to refresh them
so a win win for all.
regards
old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline David Dewar  
#218 Posted : 17 February 2011 19:53:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
With China the second biggest economy and soon to be the first it would be better if each country made their own stuff and the population supported them. It would mean me buying Hornby but from what I have seen recently it is now pretty good and their control system is also now much better and all also cheaper.
However I prefer Marklin and as I already have a lot of their models and track etc I dont need to buy much more anyway.
If you want cheap then buy from China and other countries with cheap labour or you can support your own country and give jobs to your people. Wont happen of course because folk just want to buy as cheaply as possible.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline hemau  
#219 Posted : 20 February 2011 20:51:19(UTC)
hemau

Yesterday zapping on the TV I got to an item about the Nürnberg Messe where an official of M* said the insolvency was practically over apart from some juridic issues.
This is really good news! He sounded very confident and there were all new items form M* and also LGB.
It was, if I recall right, a program from regional SWR (SudWestRundfunk) which is primarily directed to Baden-Württemberg.
Kind regards, Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hemau
Offline steventrain  
#220 Posted : 20 February 2011 21:03:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hemau Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday zapping on the TV I got to an item about the Nürnberg Messe where an official of M* said the insolvency was practically over apart from some juridic issues.

Insolvency proceedings are terminated - Märklin is now creditors

LONDON (Reuters) - The model railway manufacturer Märklin has freed after more than two years out of bankruptcy.
The company is now a de facto its creditors, led by the Kreissparkasse Göppingen and BW Bank. Insolvency administrator Michael Pluta had decided against an immediate sale because it does not offer sufficient. He had with the institutions that had 2009 to the financial investor Kingsbridge turned down the money supply instead negotiated a bankruptcy plan. Before a sale, we'll see the new owners now. The district court Göppingen have completed the bankruptcy proceedings on Thursday announced Märklin.

The reorganization of an insolvent company without fresh capital from investors is unusual. After Märklin wrote in the black for the insolvency, the company has accumulated on a turnover of over EUR 110 million, EUR 30 million equity. "This is the basis for a successful future, " said the new managing director Stefan Löbich, who had taken office in January.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline TimR  
#221 Posted : 20 February 2011 22:07:09(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
If I was running M, I'd make models galore for the American market, in China, including locos, and use heavy advertising to push sales in department stores and mail order plus hobby dealers, and with low prices. Use DCC, 2R and all the works. They would gain market sales pretty quick. Profits would soar. Meanwhile, all you purists would still be happy with the usual EU type models made the same old 3R way and with the high prices you now pay. Also, the company would be solvent again and in business for the long haul.

This is an interesting article about what German companies think about manufacturing in China (just food for thought):
www.bbc.co.uk/news/12382747
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline hasan  
#222 Posted : 25 April 2011 00:32:22(UTC)
hasan

A long interview (in German) with Lars Schilling, Märklin marketing manager:

http://www.swp.de/goeppi...derzimmer;art5583,935863

Several interesting info, most of them positive or very positive. I am sorry, but I do not have the time to make a translation here.

I will only mention this point for the American friends:
Q: "Sie wollen doch aber auch neue Märkte erschließen, beispielsweise in Amerika".
Q: "But you still want also to open up to new markets, such as the American one".
Answer: "Die Absicht besteht immer noch. Wir stehen kurz davor, speziell für Amerika etwas Neues mit hohem Spielwert zu kreieren. Das ist aber noch nicht kommunikationsfähig. Wir gehen aber davon aus, dass wir schon im Sommer den Sprung nach USA wagen. ".
Answer: "The interest is still there. We are close to create something new with a high play-value for the American market. But it is not communicable yet. We assume, however, that the venture will leap to the U.S. in the summer".

Cheers,
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hasan
Offline H0  
#223 Posted : 25 April 2011 07:29:27(UTC)
H0

Hi,
thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by: hasan Go to Quoted Post
A long interview (in German) with Lars Schilling, Märklin marketing manager

The interview is with Stefan Löbich and Lars Schilling (the quote is from Stefan Löbich).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline petestra  
#224 Posted : 25 April 2011 12:21:38(UTC)
petestra

United States   
This is great financial news of our favorite company! Thanks for posting.
PeterSmile ThumpUp Smile ThumpUp
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#225 Posted : 25 April 2011 12:37:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Interesting to note that Märklin are intending to produce applications, presumably the remote control and catalog applications, for Android phones.
Offline hasan  
#226 Posted : 25 April 2011 14:09:22(UTC)
hasan

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by: hasan Go to Quoted Post
A long interview (in German) with Lars Schilling, Märklin marketing manager

The interview is with Stefan Löbich and Lars Schilling (the quote is from Stefan Löbich).

Absolutely you are right. Indication of name by each answer.

Best,

Edited by user 26 April 2011 23:17:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline john black  
#227 Posted : 01 May 2011 15:04:33(UTC)
john black

United States   
Latest intelligence has it one famous Baronet from Oz jumped in yesterday FlapperLOL
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline H0  
#228 Posted : 20 August 2011 15:34:32(UTC)
H0

Märklin published a press release yesterday (German only) indicating that the volume of sales (turnover) was 105.7 million Euro in 2010 (down from 111.2 in 2009), but EBIT went up to 10.1 million Euro (a plus of about 2 million Euro versus 2009).

Please note: those figures are for 2010 while Märklin was still under insolvency.

Link to the German press release:
http://produktadmin.maer...9-PM_Bilanz_Maerklin.pdf
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#229 Posted : 20 August 2011 19:21:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the news, Tom.
Offline MarioFabro  
#230 Posted : 06 October 2011 22:15:00(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Are there any news in Germany about the Marklin recovery status??
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline steventrain  
#231 Posted : 11 November 2011 21:58:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Märklin Chief Löbich Passion for small trains

German Text.

http://www.stuttgarter-n...e-afea-15268e9725da.html

Other news - Hornby in Europe sales up 50% for six months to Sept 2011.
Offline plavnostruev  
#232 Posted : 10 December 2011 17:57:58(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Below is the link to a short article about Kingsbridge Capital litigation against Alix Partners:

Article

Michael
Offline steventrain  
#233 Posted : 28 December 2011 20:51:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Märklin is missing the rail collector next generation.

German text.

http://www.welt.de/wirts...hnsammler-Nachwuchs.html
Offline H0  
#234 Posted : 29 December 2011 19:34:34(UTC)
H0

Lars Schilling left Märklin (German newspaper article):
http://www.swp.de/goeppi...Maerklin;art5583,1273338

Google translation:
http://translate.google....klin%3Bart5583%2C1273338
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#235 Posted : 29 December 2011 20:14:10(UTC)
Webmaster

I think the Google translation is not so accurate as it could be... The German text does not sound so bad at all...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Larry  
#236 Posted : 06 January 2012 09:30:51(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone have an insights into the circumstances or implications related to the departure of Lars Schilling, Marklin marketing director? I assume this is a big topic in the Stuttgart area among those involved with model railroading. I understand he has been marketing director for some 7 years. understand.

http://www.swp.de/goeppi...erklin;art5583,1273338,A
Offline H0  
#237 Posted : 06 January 2012 09:50:20(UTC)
H0

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#238 Posted : 06 January 2012 10:00:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Larry Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps this has already been discussed....

As Tom pointed out, yes it has been discussed. Topics merged.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#239 Posted : 06 January 2012 11:06:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I think the Google translation is not so accurate as it could be... The German text does not sound so bad at all...

My reading of the Google translation is that nobody knows the real reasons behind Lars' resignation.......family, career path, time to move on ....?????
Löbich simply says there was no dysfunction within M.
However, I get it that one of Lars' "dreams" was for a museum in Stuttgart Strasse (same location as the factory) to showcase toy technology.
And Löbich says that he is obliged to the creditors (the banks) to pursue new directions that "add value" to the Company, and that from his perspective, the existing Marklin World in Goppingen is enough.
So perhaps there was doubt that a museum would do anything for the Company.

Do you think I have that right?

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 09 February 2012 01:12:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#240 Posted : 06 January 2012 11:18:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
That was my impression Kimball.
Offline Western Pacific  
#241 Posted : 06 January 2012 13:58:43(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

My reading of the Google translation is that nobody knows the real reasons behind Lars' resignation.......family, career path, time to move on ....?????
Löbich simply says there was no dysfunction within M.
However, I get it that one of Lars' "dreams" was for a museum in Stuttgart to showcase toy technology.
And Löbich says that he is obliged to the creditors (the banks) to pursue new directions that "add value" to the Company, and that from his perspective, the Marklin World in Goppingen is enough.
So perhaps there was doubt that a museum would do anything for the Company.

Do you think I have that right?

regards
Kimball

I tend to agree with our Webmaster here and in particular the sentence "Lars Schilling ist auch der Mann gewesen, der sich trotz der Insolvenz für eine neue historische Märklin-Erlebnis-Welt am Stammsitz in der Stuttgarter Straße stark gemacht hatte." looks very strange in the translated version.
I would have translated it as follows:
Lars Schilling was, despite the insolvency, the man who was strongly in favor of a new historic Märklin-Erlebnis-Welt at Märklin's headquarters in Stuttgarter Straße.

So in short, Lars Schilling was in favor of creating a new museum/Erlebnis-Welt at Märklin HQ (located at Stuttgarter Straße), whereas Löbich further down points out that the current at Reutlinger Straße serves Märklin perfectly well.

Having, like many others here, been to Göppingen I know that Stuttgarter Straße is at west end of town and Reutlinger Straße at the east end of town. In my mind that wouldn't be a problem for the general public. For a Marketing manager it could of course be nice to have the museum in the same building complex if he has dealers visiting him for business negotiations, and to take a swing through the museum for instance when going for lunch. But on the other hand it's not 15 minutes by car between the two locations.
Offline rhobson1968  
#242 Posted : 06 January 2012 14:14:24(UTC)
rhobson1968

My read on the article (in German) is that they went head to head and he was probably let go rather than leaving on his own. Most major companies spin it that way so they don't look super bad. A guy in his position was probably given a package and told to stick with the story. My guess is one of Marklin's problems is that they don't want to change some of their core values, beliefs or what ever they are so stuck on. I see this same lack of change in the the Corporation I work in and those who usually believe in change or want it don't always make it. I think Marklin should get off their high horse, lean out their processes, drop their prices (yes, $700 is too much for locomotive), sell more, and listen to their employees. Oh, and the guys on this Forum...Drool Drool Drool
Never quit building.
Offline Larry  
#243 Posted : 06 January 2012 19:51:03(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Thanks for the insights into the resignation of Lars Schilling. To me, the timing of Schilling leaving seems almost like it had been in the works for some time or at least mutally agreed upon. While there is never an optimal time for a senior executive to leave, it makes sense to me for the chief of marketing to make the break at this point in time as Marklin products for 2012 have been determined and it is a matter of producing the items. The cycle for 2013 would begin at this point and they can start with a clean slate assuming they recruit someone for this position in the near future. I just hope they find someone who knows something about the model railroad industry (or at least appreciates it) and not someone with a mattress production background, etc., as in the past. If my memory is correct, Schilling had been working for the new CEO for about a year and, if there were differences, this would be an optimal time to depart.

Despite the article I referenced in my email, it seems strange to me that the disagreement, if there was any, would be over a museum, etc. Most astute executives would know when the wind is blowing a certain direction and would not fall on their sword over a museum idea. In any event, there are probably a host of confidentiality clauses in his separation agreement that would preclude him or the CEO from ever talking about the reasons for his resignation.

He was the face of Marklin in so many ways in the past 7 years and while I never met him he steered marketing through an especially difficult and challenging time. And, say what we might about prices, services and the product line, Marklin is still in existence, has recovered from bankruptcy, appears to be doing well and has a future. Schilling should be given credit for what he has accomplished. What is telling is that it appears that the CEO has not made mention of Schilling's contribution to Marklin's success, which is unusual if he were leaving on good terms. Perhaps the new CEO wants to be the face of Marklin and the stage wasn't big enough for both.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Larry
Offline petestra  
#244 Posted : 06 January 2012 20:56:08(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Well stated Larry. Good Luck Lars! Peter
Offline H0  
#245 Posted : 06 January 2012 21:55:32(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Larry Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps the new CEO wants to be the face of Marklin and the stage wasn't big enough for both.
The new CEO is Wolfrad Bächle, the old CEO is Stefan Löbich. Maybe the stage was not big enough for three ...
Maybe Mr. Schilling was frustrated because not he was promoted but Mr. Bächle. Speculation, speculation, speculation ...

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Larry  
#246 Posted : 06 January 2012 22:38:24(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Yes, Tom, it is a lot of speculation against the absence of information but the importance of the marketing director can't be diminished in setting the strategy and success of Marklin in the future and its potential effect on customers and Insiders. It will be very interesting who they decide on and how much responsibility the director of marketing will have(if any). As you know, these types of decisions have made and broken similar organizations.

I'm just pleased that the previous management teams including Lars Schilling, for the past 7 years, successfully led them through the bankruptcy, etc., especially given the world-wide competition Marklin faces. Of course, much of their success also has to do with the willingness of the financial institutions/creditors especially in B-W to exercise forebearance and to help them through the crisis.

Regards,

Larry
Offline river6109  
#247 Posted : 06 January 2012 22:57:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
May be the bank had the final word or indicated what should be done.
Offline steventrain  
#248 Posted : 08 February 2012 22:44:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Any news on 2011 Turnover and profit?
Offline petestra  
#249 Posted : 08 February 2012 22:46:22(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks for asking that Steven. I was wondering about that too, especially after all the money we all are spending? Cheers,PeterHuh Smile
Offline H0  
#250 Posted : 08 February 2012 23:02:32(UTC)
H0

Mr. Löbich said at the trade fair that business in 2011 was "excellent" without giving any figures yet.
I presume they won't give any figures until they have testified results.

Google translation:
http://translate.google....Fdg%2F0%2F1%2F1007171%2F
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage