Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2009 10:46:09(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
When I have nothing to do, I have nothing to do.
So I wonder about things.

On many Märklin and Fleischmann models "Made in Germany" is impressed in the metal, or moulded in the plastic. Sometimes it is "Made in Western Germany". Even on pre-WWII models, it is always "Germany".

Given that both Märklin and Fleischmann have always made their models priimarily for the German market, and the bulk of their sales are in Europe, why is this statement expressed in English?

Should it not be "Hergestellt in Deutschland", or even just "Deutschland"?

Perhaps our German members can express a view about this.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Munich 1860  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2009 12:01:58(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Just a short answer Kimball as I am in a hurry.

To the best of my knowledge German products had to be marked "Made in Germany" if they were to be exported to the U.S.A. and also the Commonwealth countries in cluding Great Britain.

This was done to actually DETER people from buying German goods. I do not know when this was introduced, but it either came into being around the time of the First World War, or some years before during some trade disputs between said Nations.

This would be the same effect as if you read something on a product like say "Made in North Korea", "Made in Iran" or even "Made by Talibans around the World" or so ....

Thing was, that German products at that time were of such quality that actually buyers WENT for these labels. This stigma had the totally opposed effect to what the trade authorities wanted in the first place.

As a result, German manufacturers stuck to the label.

Many regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2009 12:37:04(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Hans, that may well explain it.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2009 12:50:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks guys.. I never thought about it until just now.. The explanation is very plausible and make sense, but the second war has been over for nearly 75 years... Do you think it might be time to use the real country name??
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline intruder  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2009 13:10:54(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Thanks for having nothing to do, Kimball.

I never thought about it, either. Quite interesting.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2009 15:39:57(UTC)
H0

It's "Made in Germany" or "Made in China" or "Made in Korea" or whatever.
I couldn't read the latter if they were written in the native language of these countries - so it's good that "Made in ..." is always written in English around the world.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline klinge-germany  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2009 16:13:57(UTC)
klinge-germany

in 1887 the english parliament introduced the 'Merchandise Marks Act' forcing that every product imported into england from germany (and maybe other countries) had to be marked 'made in germany'. the reason was that at that time many goods invented in england have been copied by other countries and this marking should clearly show its minor worth. but some years later this marking turned to be a proof of good craftmanship and quality.
thats how things go sometime......
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2009 17:18:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that English was chosen because globally, there is a greater English speaking market than there is for any other language in the world. For example, English had been selected as the international language for air traffic. French is the official language of international postal operations, although this too, is by now largely in English.
After WWII, the label "Made In Western Germany" came about to show that German industry was getting back on it's feet, to distinguish between "Western" BRD and the Communist DDR and to show pride in the quality of goods that were being built in the BRD during the recovery of the 1950s and thereafter.
I think that Klinge's comments as far as the roots (Merchandise Marks Act) may be accurate, but I can also state that numerous prizes for various categories of products were awarded in England and that this might have played a factor in the labelling of goods in that language as well.
For German brands, it was always an advantage to profit from this label as "Made In Germany" has always been associated with quality, precision and durability, whether it be cars, knives, appliances or model trains.
In the 1980s-1990s, Japan also had a boost, as Japanese cars, electronics and other goods reached a level of respect that had only previously been held by Germany.
Today, much of all these goods are made in countries with lower production and raw material costs.

...and English continues to be the international language for commerce.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Will  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2009 23:08:15(UTC)
Will

United States   
Interesting stuff, and great question. Guess I just assumed they had it in English for me!
Offline davemr  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2009 23:40:55(UTC)
davemr

Hi Mike. Now I know why my mail is always late.
davemr
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2009 18:20:01(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Hi Guys,
For me the answer to the question is simple: Made in Germany was not put on compulsory,instead it was put on to show that it was a Quality product from Germany,nothing to do with WW1 or WW2,or whatever.
Remember that Marklin large scale tinplate locomotives and carriages were exported to places like the USA even before WW1 broke out.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline davemr  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2009 21:11:51(UTC)
davemr

Anything coming to the UK should have the country of origin marked on it. Nothing to do with quality. I dont think anybody is too concerened about model railway items. As long as they dont kill or injure anybody. Marklin etc is sold here with a two pin plug (CS etc) when it should be fitted with a three pin before sale but I am sure the relevant body that looks at these things have no idea and probably dont care.
davemr
Offline nevw  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2009 23:05:48(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
During the 1930's early 1940s many cheap toys and other things were marked made in England, made in America, made in etc etc. they all originated from Japan where they named villages where the factory was England, America etc to get around the country of origin laws.

nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 01 December 2009 05:11:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
What a shame, what a dissapointment, what a story,
I personally think it should go into the NLMR section.

regards.,
John

This posting may be subject to be blown up.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline sudibarba  
#15 Posted : 01 December 2009 05:30:35(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />I think that English was chosen because globally, there is a greater English speaking market than there is for any other language in the world. For example, English had been selected as the international language for air traffic. French is the official language of international postal operations, although this too, is by now largely in English.
After WWII, the label "Made In Western Germany" came about to show that German industry was getting back on it's feet, to distinguish between "Western" BRD and the Communist DDR and to show pride in the quality of goods that were being built in the BRD during the recovery of the 1950s and thereafter.
I think that Klinge's comments as far as the roots (Merchandise Marks Act) may be accurate, but I can also state that numerous prizes for various categories of products were awarded in England and that this might have played a factor in the labelling of goods in that language as well.
For German brands, it was always an advantage to profit from this label as "Made In Germany" has always been associated with quality, precision and durability, whether it be cars, knives, appliances or model trains.
In the 1980s-1990s, Japan also had a boost, as Japanese cars, electronics and other goods reached a level of respect that had only previously been held by Germany.
Today, much of all these goods are made in countries with lower production and raw material costs.

Regards

Mike C

Britannica Almanac 2005
% of world population speaking:
Mandarin 16%
English 16%
Hindi 15%
Spanish 7%
German 2%
French 2%

Eric
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 01 December 2009 05:33:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sudibarba
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />I think that English was chosen because globally, there is a greater English speaking market than there is for any other language in the world. For example, English had been selected as the international language for air traffic. French is the official language of international postal operations, although this too, is by now largely in English.

Regards

Mike C

Britannica Almanac 2005
% of world population speaking:
Mandarin 16%
English 16%
Hindi 15%
Spanish 7%
German 2%
French 2%

Eric

and what about all of us at this forum, this should make it 17% biggrinbiggrin

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline atilla  
#17 Posted : 01 December 2009 05:56:37(UTC)
atilla

Quality speaks for itself. The motivation behind the label becomes irrelevant.
Offline davemr  
#18 Posted : 01 December 2009 12:43:47(UTC)
davemr

So Marklin should have their website in Mandarin,English and Hindi if they want business ?? English is spoken throughout the world where the other two tend to be in their own countries. No real need for the German version now as only 2% can read it lol.

Atilla too true as you say quality speaks for itself which is why we buy Marklin.

(This post might stay for a bit but if it gets bored will move on.)
davemr