Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2010 00:42:39(UTC)
walters48

United States   
I should have asked this a long time ago. Re: Koll's: Is it published in English? Is it published every year? What is the difference between Band 1 and 2? Opinion: is it reliable as a price guide? Any other insights would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chas
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2010 01:25:25(UTC)
H0

It comes every year, AFAIK in German only.
Band 1 contains locos and sets (train sets, car sets, starter sets), Band 2 contains coaches and freight cars.
There's a bound luxury edition combining Band 1 and Band 2. There is a compact edition without pictures (if you want the prices only).
And there is the special items catalogue for strictly and truely limited editions.

Koll prices are often considered to be too high - but on eBay you often find deals that are even higher than Koll's prices.
Koll checks the prices at auctions and loco swap meetings. There are always chances to get some items cheaper, sometimes someone will pay more.

Edit: not so old goat Tom had to make some corrections (underlined).

Edited by user 29 October 2010 09:59:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2010 03:12:09(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
H0 wrote:
It comes every year, AFAIK in English only.
Band 1 contains locos and sets (train sets, car sets, starter sets), Band 2 contains coaches and freight cars.
There's a bound luxury edition combining Band 1 and Band 2. There is a compact edition without pictures (if you want the prices only).
And there is the special items catalogue for strictly and truely limited editions.

Koll prices are often considered to be too high - but on eBay you often find deals that are even higher than Koll's prices.
Koll checks the prices at auctions and loco swap meetings. There are always chances to get some items cheaper, sometimes someone will pay more.

I thought that KOLLS was in German Only no English version.??

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2010 03:39:54(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Ranjit  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2010 08:30:42(UTC)
Ranjit

Now, where do I find the Koll's in English?

John, the link you provided is in German!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2010 08:45:51(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
H0 wrote:
It comes every year, AFAIK in English only.

I think this is simply a typo and should read "in German only".

Many people also overlook that Koll's prices refer to crisply new items in their original boxes. Lots of stuff offered on traditional flea markets and eBay is something between "used" and "scrap metal", but nevertheless the sellers ask for Koll prices. Thus the Koll prices are not so unrealistic as it is often claimed in certain web forums.

Otherwise, Koll's catalogs are as reliable as possible. Nobody will ever succeed in compiling a database of Marklin products that is 100 percent complete and without the slightest error.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2010 10:00:39(UTC)
H0

Unholz wrote:
I think this is simply a typo and should read "in German only".

YepBlushing - corrected in my first post.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Railsurfer  
#8 Posted : 30 October 2010 15:24:47(UTC)
Railsurfer

I think the Koll's Katalog is quite useful to both collectors and traders. The catalog easily identifies the rarer and more desirable items by the price and clearly identifies the differences between versions. The catalogs are produced in the German language, yet with such aids as the translators provided for free by(google and yahoo), one can simply type in the descriptions and get a pretty good translation. One can learn some German along the way too. The pictures are great for identifying differences and nuances. Having a Koll's catalog has greatly increased my enjoyment of collecting Marklin. I have learned so much more than I would have otherwise about the production and scope of the greatest model trains on earth!ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 30 October 2010 16:11:05(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Mine is 2006.. So I am overdue for an update, but I wish all of the photos were in colour and not just the older items.. It would also be nice if Herr Koll could produce one English edition (say) every ten years..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Ranjit  
#10 Posted : 30 October 2010 16:22:26(UTC)
Ranjit

Yes, an English edition would be good idea.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline hennabm  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2010 19:03:53(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
My last one was from 2004 and was lost some time in my rapid move in 2005.
I've just checked Amazon for the 2009 full version. £200 - HELP my last one was only £70ish; why the massive jumpConfused I'm sure the Euro/£ rate is contributing but surely not to that amount.

Has anyone got an 09 version for sale at a reasonable price? PM me if you have.
cheers Love
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline dntower85  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2010 20:36:36(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
xxup wrote:
Mine is 2006.. So I am overdue for an update, but I wish all of the photos were in colour and not just the older items.. It would also be nice if Herr Koll could produce one English edition (say) every ten years..

2006 same as mine except I have the one minus the photos, and the 2006 version had some of the highest prices, before the economy tanked.

I wish there was something like the Greensburg book now, it had less model numbers but had nice photos and gave good details on why one item was rarer over another.

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 27 December 2010 21:45:57(UTC)
H0

hennabm wrote:
I've just checked Amazon for the 2009 full version. £200

You can get the paperback edition 2010 new for £22 each (two volumes, take Band 1 and Band 2).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline walters48  
#14 Posted : 27 December 2010 23:58:17(UTC)
walters48

United States   
dntower85 wrote:
xxup wrote:

2006 same as mine except I have the one minus the photos, and the 2006 version had some of the highest prices, before the economy tanked.

I wish there was something like the Greensburg book now, it had less model numbers but had nice photos and gave good details on why one item was rarer over another.

Is/ was there a Greenburg catalog for Marklin HO? Would a member who is knowledgeable about this topic please write a short piece on Greenburg literature- past or present?
Thanks,
Chas
Offline hennabm  
#15 Posted : 28 December 2010 12:28:34(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
H0 wrote:
hennabm wrote:
I've just checked Amazon for the 2009 full version. £200

You can get the paperback edition 2010 new for £22 each (two volumes, take Band 1 and Band 2).

Cheers for that I will try again. Do they contain photos like the full edition?
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 28 December 2010 13:12:43(UTC)
H0

hennabm wrote:
Cheers for that I will try again. Do they contain photos like the full edition?

Yes, it's the full edition as paperback. The Kompaktkatalog comes without photos.
If you only want current prices, then the Kompaktkatalog is the way to go.

Here's the complete range ("ausverkauft" means "sold out"):
http://www.koll-verlag.de/struktur1.html
The complete book and the Spezialkatalog are sold out - new edition announced for April 2011.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage