Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nyc5450  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2010 01:40:45(UTC)
nyc5450

Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing a M3083 SNCF. I would like to convert it to digital. I believe that it is the same as a 3111 Beligin, and based on the older M S3/6.

I have searched the forum for information about this conversion. If I remember correctly, there was a post about the difficulty of fitting the new brush plate into the body casting.

I believe that it has a LFCM motor, but I am not certain.

Has anyone converted this type of locomotive to digital? If so what works and what does not?

Regards,
John
Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2010 02:19:57(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi John,

I have converted this loco using a 60904 kit with a few mods. See article below

http://members.ozemail.c...pdf/60904_conversion.pdf

nyc5450 wrote:
Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing a M3083 SNCF. I would like to convert it to digital. I believe that it is the same as a 3111 Beligin, and based on the older M S3/6.........

Ross
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2010 02:26:26(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I have just converted a 3111 (Or had it done). all we did was to fit a Permanent Magnet and a decoder. Kept the Original Armature and Brush Plate.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nyc5450  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2010 23:12:14(UTC)
nyc5450

Hi folks,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back and thank you both for the very helpful information. The office has been MAD for the past two days!.
Ross, that is exactly the article that I remembered. Does the five-pole armature make the loco run that much smoother? I appreciate your directions, however grinding away on the brush plate seems a bit drastic.

Nev, when you had the conversion performed, what decoder di you end up using? Did you need to make anyother changes like replacing the headlamp bulb? How does your 3111 run?

Thank
Regards,
John
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2010 01:20:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John, I used a Lokpilot 3 and had to change the Head lamp. Nothing else except soldering.

it runs very well, these days if fitting a decoder and Magnet and the original 3 Pole Armature is OK I do not change it.
I find that the Magnet and Decoder makes for a lot smoother running than original and it saves work and $$$.

I have 2 other Delta Locos to upgrade and will be following that path.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nyc5450  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2010 02:37:27(UTC)
nyc5450

Many thanks Nev!

What is the correct light bulb to use? Forgive the question,however I'm a novice
at digital conversions.
Regards,
John
Offline Ross  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2010 04:28:28(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
John,
The 214121 motor shield is mainly used for diesel and electric locomotives as it has a curved area to allow it to mount into the loco chassis and for the motor boggie to turn, this is what is cut/grind down to size to allow it to fit into the body shell.
You will notice in my tip that the motor shield is mounted upside down to get the brush springs below the armature bearing.

With the five pole motor it runs very smooth, very nice.

nyc5450 wrote:
Hi folks,
Ross, that is exactly the article that I remembered. Does the five-pole armature make the loco run that much smoother? I appreciate your directions, however grinding away on the brush plate seems a bit drastic.
Thank

Ross
Offline nevw  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2010 10:46:49(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
nyc5450 wrote:
Many thanks Nev!

What is the correct light bulb to use? Forgive the question,however I'm a novice
at digital conversions.

John, Bulb and Socket:

M604180 Bulb Sockert for 3125
M610080 Light Bulb

Nev
Offline antycapp  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2021 12:36:58(UTC)
antycapp

Italy   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,

Hello everyone, sorry if I intrude, I'm looking for information about the digitization of the 3083, but unfortunately the link you posted so long ago no longer works. Would it be possible to get the pdf back? Thanks so much.

I learn, I learn!
Offline Ross  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2021 21:09:05(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

This is the correct link to the old article I wrote because the article was renamed

3026 + 3111 difficult 60904 conversions

Hope it helps

Originally Posted by: antycapp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,

Hello everyone, sorry if I intrude, I'm looking for information about the digitization of the 3083, but unfortunately the link you posted so long ago no longer works. Would it be possible to get the pdf back? Thanks so much.

Ross