Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Doodlebug  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2006 23:24:07(UTC)
Doodlebug

Hello!

About a week ago I bough a 6600 controller and now I'm trying to figure out what it is good for. The catalogue showed it controlling a 33xx loco which had an electronic direction control. Did anyone here ever use these when they were new and does someone know what locos can I control with it?

Thank you, Mikko
Offline mrmarklin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2006 00:49:30(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I had a couple of these in the pre-analog days to dontrol my trains. They were pretty good, particularly eliminating "jump" on the old electro mechanical reverse units. There are some other good functions, too. I'm assuming you have a manual.

Marklin later recommended that the electronic reversers not be used with this unit.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Doodlebug  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2006 00:56:32(UTC)
Doodlebug

Thanks for the reply.

That's exactly the problem I have, I don't have a manual. The bad thing is there aren't too many manuals floating around.

Mikko
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2006 02:23:34(UTC)
Webmaster

The 6600 is good for absolutely nothing today if you are into digital... It puts out PWM pulses instead of "plain AC" on an analog track. You could say that it does the same voltage trick on the track as a digital decoder does on its motor output. This was done to give more precise control of analog locos.

However, do not use them with digital/delta locos since you may well burn the decoder in the loco.

But for plain analog, they are good...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline mrmarklin  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2006 06:52:51(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I may have an old manual that I can scan for you and send. I'll look for it, but I have a lot of stuff to go through!!
Offline mrmarklin  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2006 06:54:14(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />The 6600 is good for absolutely nothing today if you are into digital... It puts out PWM pulses instead of "plain AC" on an analog track. You could say that it does the same voltage trick on the track as a digital decoder does on its motor output. This was done to give more precise control of analog locos.

However, do not use them with digital/delta locos since you may well burn the decoder in the loco.

But for plain analog, they are good...

Yes, these 6600s are also not recommended for digital or delta units because of the type of electricity sent to control the trains. The electrical spikes can fry the decoders.
Offline Doodlebug  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2006 04:53:08(UTC)
Doodlebug

Hello!

Seems like this controller will be perfect for running my dad's old analog locos such as 3005, 3048, and 3060.

mrmarklin, it would be great if you can somehow get that manual copied.

Mikko
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Doodlebug
Offline mrmarklin  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2006 06:43:23(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I will look for my old unit. I'd try to sell it, but they are not worth very much, and sometimes having that pre-digital stuff that was whiz-bang in its day is cool.
Offline Roberto Romano  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2007 19:49:33(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hello Everybody!

From time to time I like to read Marklin related threads on this forum. A few days ago, I bought a Marklin 6600 controller at a very reasonable priceSmile. It came in its OB without instructions[:(].
I did a search in this forum and found that someone else had the same problem[:0]. My layout is all analog, so this unit will fit here[:o)]. However, I dont understand the function of the outputs and of the knobs[V]. There are two wires in the back (yellow and brown) that I assume go to the fixed 18VAC of a feed transformer. There are also 4 pins/plugs labeled: O, B, I, II. What is the function of each output and how are they used? At the front, you have 3 small knobs labeled 1,2,3 and a big unlabeled knob. There are also 3 push buttons below the small knobs labeled 4,5,6. Could anybody out there explain or send me the instructions? In the 6600 folder of this forum 'Doodlebug' asked the same question and 'mrmarklin' said he might have a manual and will scan it to mail it to 'Doodlebug' Did it ever happen? If 'mrmarklin' has it, I will appreciate a copy of it[:o)].

Thank you and I look forward to more M chat. Roberto
Regards, Roberto
Offline intruder  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2007 20:08:25(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Welcome to the forum, Roberto.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Roberto Romano  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2007 20:17:57(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Nice meeting you, Svein
Regards, Roberto
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2007 20:45:04(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I have 3 of them, and I am using them!
-But as Juhan has already said; don´t EVER let any decoder-controlled loco touch it´s output!
Actually it is becoming a problem keeping track of which locos has what kind of control...

It must be conected to the brown and yellow (16AV) of a &gt;=30VA AC trafo.
Track is conected to the brown and red of the 6600 box.

Knob 1: Acceleration time.
Knob 2: Deccelleration time.
Knob 3: Stop-time (0-30seconds)
Button 4: Enable/disable accelerations (knob 1+2) and load distribution(=constant speed up- and down-hill) (Note: the manual uses the word "distribution" instead of "regulation". Funny ;-)
Button 5: Enable/disable communter operation (push-pull)
Button 6: Emergency stop.

For connections I and II you can use contact-tracks (or is that circuit-tracks?) which gives impulses (connection to 0 or brown);
Connection I: Stop. (with accelerations (knob 1+2) and stop-time (knob 3)
Connection II: Change of direction. (One over-voltage pulse is send to the track. I beleive it is much higher than the normal 24V. Might be 32V?)

Also note that in order to give fine control in low speed-ranges, the controller gives out a pulsed AC (at 200Hz methinks)
Other note; You can use a constant signal on "Connection I" to maintain a train stopped.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2007 23:53:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum Roberto.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline HueyCE  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2007 06:03:43(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Roberto.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Roberto Romano  
#15 Posted : 04 February 2007 18:12:17(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Thank you for the warm welcome of steventrain, HueyCE and to Henrik for the info on the 6600 controller which was very informative.
Let me just recap and see if I understand correctly the connections of the 6600 before I use it without damaging it.
The yellow and brown wires dangling from the 6600 go to the fixed 14VAC,40VA feed transformer, is this correct?
Next, this is the part that is a bit confusing:
Erick, which of the four sockets outputs (O,B,I,II)go to the M-track?
O socket/plug goes to the ground side of the track, does it?
Next, do you chose B, I or II to connect to the center of the M-track depending of the function desired or do you connect these outputs to different sections of the track to achieve different actions in other places of the track? Does the big knob controls the speed of which output?
Regards, Roberto
Offline hxmiesa  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2007 21:01:22(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Roberto Romano
The yellow and brown wires dangling from the 6600 go to the fixed 14VAC,40VA feed transformer, is this correct?
Erick, which of the four sockets outputs (O,B,I,II)go to the M-track?
O socket/plug goes to the ground side of the track, does it?
Next, do you chose B, I or II to connect to the center of the M-track depending of the function desired or do you connect these outputs to different sections of the track to achieve different actions in other places of the track? Does the big knob controls the speed of which output?

The trafo should be 16VAC, but I suppose a 14V will do also. Try it.

Yep, O to the tracks, and B to the center studs.

I and II are "digital inputs". When O is connected (for a short moment) to one of these inputs, the described funtion is carried out.
You can use contact- or circuit- tracks for this. (i.e. M-track reference 5146)

The speed knob controls B output.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Roberto Romano  
#17 Posted : 05 February 2007 00:05:54(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Thank you, Erick. After your post I tried the 6600 with your instructions and it worked as a champSmile. All the functions worked! It is a nice gadget for a guy like me that does not have a digital layout[:p]. My ’86 M cat says it has circuit breaker, does that mean that is protected against a short circuit that could easily occur[:I]?
Regards, Roberto
Offline arne  
#18 Posted : 05 February 2007 00:59:10(UTC)
arne

What are we talking about when talking the 6600?

The 6600-series transformers? Like the old 30VA (M6631) transformer that I got two of between my old stuff?

- Can anyone tell me 100% what we are talking about, when saying "the 6600" ?
Arne

Märklin H0, C & M Track, with Uhlenbrock's quality power and control.
Offline Roberto Romano  
#19 Posted : 05 February 2007 04:37:34(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hi Arne, The Marklin 6600 speed/throttle electronic controller is used in analog locomotives. It does similar functions as a digital controller for one locomotive only. My '86 M catalog describes it as: "Connects to a 16VAC, 30VA transformer output. Controls speed and direction electronically. Automatic rates of acceleration and deceleration as well as duration of stops can be set and switched on or off. Provides constant speed on grades. Duration of stop and automatic direccion reversing can be affected"
With the introduction of digital control this controller became obsolete, but it can be still used in analog layouts and works nicelybiggrin.

Roberto
Regards, Roberto
Offline Doodlebug  
#20 Posted : 06 February 2007 04:38:51(UTC)
Doodlebug

Hello Roberto,

Glad to hear you got yours to work. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I really like the 6600, it seems to give new life to older analog locos. I remember seeing it on older catalogues wondering what it is and then I finally picked on up on ebay really cheap. Overall very good creation, although others would say why not just go digital, but there's that something special with the analogs. The new digitals seem a bit sterile.

Mikko
Offline john black  
#21 Posted : 06 February 2007 10:22:54(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Doodlebug
<br />I really like the 6600, it seems to give new life to older analog locos

Hi Mikko,

you're right - and it's good looking, too Smile !!! (those expensive classic stereo controls come to mind)
Still more, lots of functions inside [:p] (adj. acc & brake delay, automatic reverse, station delay, etc.)
I, too, love those analog engines, and our friend Al put it so well: "They have a soul ..." [^]

Here's a little gift for you ...

Congratulations,
John

UserPostedImage
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Roberto Romano  
#22 Posted : 07 February 2007 18:40:16(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hi Mikko,

I agree, after using a plain AC transformer, the 6600 adds an extra dimension to an analog layoutbiggrin. On the other hand, the 6600 should give us an idea of what much fun digital operations can be. My main objection to digital is the exorbitant cost of all the digital gear, something that I just can not afford. But I would like to experiment a little with digital[|)]. I have picked up in eBay a decoder that I will use to convert a loco, some 83 decoders for the turn outs and a delta controller so I can thinker in the future.
I certainly like the old rolling stock and locomotives of the 50-70s, they have less plastic and are more durable. I love the M-800 series steam locomotives. I have an SK800, F800, DA800 and TM800 and some of the older tin and cast freight cars; but die-cast locomotives are my weakness[:p]. I also like the M-track.
Regards, Roberto
Offline Doodlebug  
#23 Posted : 08 February 2007 04:23:55(UTC)
Doodlebug

Hi,

thank you for the picture John. The knobs truly make the controller seem like expensive technology. With this controller, shunting is even more fun.

Roberto, seems like you are building up a collection of old Marklins. None of my locos are that old though, just from the 60's and 70's.

Mikko