Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CN  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2004 18:38:51(UTC)
CN

Thailand   
confusedDoes anyone here have information about " The Orient Express Coaches" made by Marklin? Eg. Production Yr, Type of Loco suitable for these coaches...
Smile
Offline McLae  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2004 20:19:14(UTC)
McLae

Does Preiser make detective figures? biggrin
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2004 23:56:53(UTC)
Webmaster

Do you mean the 42754 "International Luxury train" coach set? It was called like that since the French company ACCOR owns the CIWL (Compagnie Internationale Wagon-Lits) brand name and started to sue all model makers for the use of the CIWL logo and the Orient Express name....

The set came in 1998/99, if I am not wrong, and a suitable loco would be an S3/6 or S10 for the era... Märklin made a creme/brown S3/6 that would be lovely... I think it was 33/37185...

As an interesting side note - you can find some of the old Orient Express sleep coaches in the north of Sweden nowadays...Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline HueyCE  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2004 06:02:37(UTC)
HueyCE

You can also them find for sale at ebay from time to time.
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline jeehring  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2004 20:08:15(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />You can also them find for sale at ebay from time to time.

yes but ....concerning the ref 42754 very rarely ...unfortunately not at an interesting price ! This set is wonderfull , I like it very much...On E-bay you can find separate boxes of TRIX models equipped with marklin pick up shoe for lighting....
CN ,
Don't forget : the blue livery for wooden coaches started to be progressively serviced at the begining of the 1920 's ( 1922 , 1923....)to match with new metal coaches . At the same time , these wooden coaches were progressively replaced by modern metal coaches .So it was not impossible to find some mixed train, specially with the restaurant coach in a different color .
The ref 42754 is a brown livery set , so , before 1920....In germany , you could find them with S10 and S 3/6 in a paint scheme of their own layout , for example with a Bavarian livery in Bavaria ...
you can see some of these coaches ( not all ) here
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/...l/ciwl_materiel_teck.htm
bye bye
Offline jeehring  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2004 20:26:31(UTC)
jeehring

ask for the RH 310 LOK from OBB in Austria around the 20 's - correct for orient express in Austria at this time...clik and roll down here for a picture of the actual Roco model ( existing for three rails , I think....) :
http://www.locorevue.com...01974&Affichage=true

It is not Marklin .... It's a plastic body .... A little fragile but nice...... expensive too- between 400 / 500 E in germany -...(this Austrian livery is a limited range for 2004 )You have to ask for mimimum radius curve too .

bye
Offline PeFu  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2004 18:44:27(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />You can also them find for sale at ebay from time to time.

Here is one 42754 "International Luxury train" coach set, on the Swedish "Tradera" auction site, containing the 5 cars:

http://www.tradera.com/auction/aid_5641984

The "Buy now" ("Köp nu") price 2400 SEK equals approx. 260 EUR. The seller is well-known, and you may request several pictures on "Kontakta säljaren".

biggrin Funck
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline jeehring  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2004 18:22:06(UTC)
jeehring

for a set in good condition , I mean whithout missing parts , in a similar state as à new one ....260 E is a correct price . No hesitation !
260 E is the Koll's book cotation . The cotations of this book don't necessarly correspond to realities of trains market , but...it gives you an idea , when you are not sure . If a seller doesn't know the possible value of an item , he refers to the Koll's too.....! ( it's sometimes funny .....There are some wellknown typo on the Koll's - a dozen - or more - of mistakes ...It happen's that the seller is reproducing the exact typo as a selling price....It is a way to recognize how do they work out the price......But in the present case it is not a typo !! )

Anyway , ask the dealer if there is no missing parts specially on the roof ( many fragile little parts for ventilation or other guardrails...), ask about the inscription in gold lettering.....

I repeat : 260 E is actually a reasonable price ! Some people have paid more than that for this set...

bye bye

Valuations about production = around 2000 / 3000 ex no more , may be less...( only " valuations " .....)

PS if you run digital don't forget to change the bulbs !which is no sinecure......
Offline Frostie  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2004 15:41:31(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Excellent looking car set - It looks like a different paint job on my favorite - "Kaiser Wilhelm Cars" !

Based upon pricing for the "Kaiser" cars it is a good price. One thing to make sure of however is that the set does have all of the little vents / lights that have a tendency to come loose in the box over time.

This set is also a sheet metal set which makes it more expensive, and more worthwhile.
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2004 11:01:34(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />The International Luxury train Orient Express ...
... and a suitable loco would be an S3/6 or S10 for the era ...

Are these two the only M locos matching that famous train ?

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline jeehring  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2004 15:34:42(UTC)
jeehring

...in fact , I have done some mistakes .....
Untill now , ORIENT EXPRESS has never been in Prussia . So , S10 is not correct , I think . Don't forget we are before first world war . After the first war , orient express never crossed germany anymore ( a new route was crossing Switzerland - with stop in BALE ); that's the reason why the germans created Mitropa Luxury trains .
So , for Orient Express , all Bavarian Loks , or Wurtemberger locks for fast trains could be all right because this train was crossing south Germany only .That gives : class C ( ref 37113 or 34113 ), S 3/6 ( 37181 or 33181 )respectively in Wurtenberger and Bavarian livery....
Why not - sometimes - a wurtemberger T 18 ( ref 37071) as substitute for " repair service " on short distance between two stops ? Must be rare , anyway ! Orient Express was a fast train for long distance .....
One of the best choice today , could finally be the new model from Brawa : a S2/6 in Bavarian livery ( not the one with DRG number )

bye bye
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2004 09:36:02(UTC)
john black

United States   
Roland, that answers my question precisely - many thanks Smile!

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide