Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plutoodie  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2005 02:12:27(UTC)
plutoodie

Got the Central station a week ago - I like it! But ever since I discovered that the Central Station is a Linux box in disguise I have been thinking that it must be possible to tweak it.

Any body got any tweaks to the Central Station?

Please be aware that any tweaks should only the done by "computer" knowledgeable people and that tweaking the central station might render it COMPLETELY USELESS and it doubt that any warranty will apply!!!!

I can start by contributing with my most useful tweak:

Tweak 1:
As the Central Station essentially is a computer the application driving the central station sometime crashes ;-) I have had this happen to me twice. Both times the the central station just got a blank screen. Unfortunately, the application on the central station is kept alive by batteries in the Central Station and a power off / power on trick does not work. This means that the only way out is to power off and remove the batteries - but then all the data entered is lost :-(

The tweak:
1. Hook the Central Station up to you local home network
2. Log in as root
3. Reboot the Central Station using the "reboot" command.

The next tweak I'm working on is to backup and restore the data from the Central Station - it looks like the following files need to be backed up:
looks.bin
weichen.bin
daten/*

Furthermore, I'm considering making an X-mas tweak but making a lightshow using the Stop/Go buttons in conjunktion with the backlight.

Has anybody tryed making these two tweaks?

HHJJ
Bo
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline HueyCE  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2005 02:18:30(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Bo. The possibility of tweaking the CS has been discussed, but as of yet you are the only one here who posted any tweaks.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline plutoodie  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2005 02:38:59(UTC)
plutoodie

ok - I could not help it - I'm watching Giants vs. Eagles in overtime and made the following litle tweak making the Stop and Go buttons blink:

NOTE: Trying this tweak might render your Central Station USELESS and you warranty will not cover tampering with it like this ;-) And please only try it if you know a bit about computers and Linux in particular.

1. Create a script file e.g. "blink.sh" using vi containing the following:

#!/bin/sh

while [ 1 ]
do
echo ledstop_on > /dev/mcs_ctrl
echo ledgo_off > /dev/mcs_ctrl

sleep 1

echo ledstop_off > /dev/mcs_ctrl
echo ledgo_on > /dev/mcs_ctrl

sleep 1
done

2. Remember to give your script the executable bit: chmod +x blink.sh
3. Run the script ;-)

HHJJ
Bo
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2005 02:43:19(UTC)
plutoodie

BTW did you wonder about hardware specs on the Central Station, then use "more /proc/cpuinfo", which yields:

Processor : ARM720T rev 3 (v4l)
BogoMIPS : 37.99
Features : swp half thumb
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 4T
CPU variant : 0x00
CPU part : 0x720
CPU revision : 3

Hardware : ESU LH79525 Board
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000006090501

HHJJ
Bo Smile
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2005 02:46:36(UTC)
plutoodie

and the available memory using "more /proc/meminfo":

MemTotal: 30572 kB
MemFree: 20016 kB
Buffers: 0 kB
Cached: 4460 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 6360 kB
Inactive: 1336 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 30572 kB
LowFree: 20016 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 4620 kB
Slab: 1660 kB
CommitLimit: 15284 kB
Committed_AS: 11816 kB
PageTables: 176 kB
VmallocTotal: 614400 kB
VmallocUsed: 408 kB
VmallocChunk: 4136960 kB

and the Linux version "more /proc/version":

Linux version 2.6.11

HHJJ
Bo
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline alonso231gery  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2005 02:47:57(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
??????????????????????????????????
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2005 03:14:35(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Seems like there are plenty of posibilities here....
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
But beware.........Big M is watching you[}:)]
perhaps the men in black are already at your door[:0]

BTW, welcome to the forum Bo!!!!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Frostie  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2005 03:24:35(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Maybe in stead of men in black there are black marklin helicopters with red blades circling the houses of these "tweakers" !!
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline alonso231gery  
#9 Posted : 12 December 2005 04:21:32(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
what is a tweaker?
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline usbeauty  
#10 Posted : 12 December 2005 05:26:57(UTC)
usbeauty

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plutoodie@hotmail.com
<br />
ok - I could not help it - I'm watching Giants vs. Eagles in overtime and made the following litle tweak making the Stop and Go buttons blink:

You get NFL games in Denmark?!?
Amazing.
This bodes well for when I move to Amsterdam.
Bruce

Modeling the Bruxelles - Nord to Knokke - Heist line on my layout, complete with pommes frites stand (frituur). (Epoch IV, digital and analog)
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 12 December 2005 08:09:58(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
There are 66 locomotive images (.bmp) available even though only 10 are selectable at the UI.
By editing/renaming the bitmaps you can get a better selection - e.g. crocodile.
I edited the function wagon (the box car with the (F) ) and put my name in it.
Peter
Offline HueyCE  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2005 08:13:17(UTC)
HueyCE

Alonso- A tweaker is someone who modifies a program to run more to his liking. It comes from an American colloquialism- tweak: to make a small adjustment(ie to a carburetor or a speed screw on a M* locomotive). Tweak also has a real definition meaning to pinch.
Bo- Do you get AFN?
Ira

Offline plutoodie  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2005 10:34:36(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />There are 66 locomotive images (.bmp) available even though only 10 are selectable at the UI.
By editing/renaming the bitmaps you can get a better selection - e.g. crocodile.
I edited the function wagon (the box car with the (F) ) and put my name in it.

Cool - was thinking about that one. Nice that the .bmp images are in a standard format biggrin Did you figure out how to make more than 10 selectable locomotive images at the UI? BTW: I have 67? The last one 67.bmp looks a little suspicious though as it has a later date (July 13) compared to others with Apr 19.
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#14 Posted : 12 December 2005 10:40:21(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />Alonso- A tweaker is someone who modifies a program to run more to his liking. It comes from an American colloquialism- tweak: to make a small adjustment(ie to a carburetor or a speed screw on a M* locomotive). Tweak also has a real definition meaning to pinch.
Bo- Do you get AFN?
Ira

Excellent description of tweak!

AFN? Not familiar with this abbrevation - looking in Wikipedia & Google I got: <ul>
<li> American Forces Network, a radio and television network run by the United States military, </li>
<li> Assembly of First Nations, a group representing indigenous First Nations peoples in Canada </li>
<li> Ashland Fiber Network, a company that provides high speed internet and TV in Ashland, Oregon </li>
<li> A variant of the Sophos computer virus </li>
</ul>

Which did you meanconfused
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline john black  
#15 Posted : 12 December 2005 11:41:22(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:<br />Hardware: ESU Board

Dealers tell me after that <u>first</u> production run M and ESU are divorced, now - same story as with LENZ and SIEMENS, in the past.
Who'll be the CS' next maker: SHARP ... TOSHIBA ... SONY ?
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline clapcott  
#16 Posted : 12 December 2005 11:43:19(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plutoodie@hotmail.com
<br />
Cool - was thinking about that one. Nice that the .bmp images are in a standard format biggrin Did you figure out how to make more than 10 selectable locomotive images at the UI? BTW: I have 67? The last one 67.bmp looks a little suspicious though as it has a later date (July 13) compared to others with Apr 19.

- Yes 67.bmp is the function car
- No I have not found how to change the UI list (which I think is actually 9 + default confused )
- The datenbank has a byte that points to the icon but it only ever uses 00,10,11,41 which is why a lot of the legacy items do not have a good picture match. I have found other values do point to different icons but I have not established a pattern.
- While changes to the datenbank appear to work on the CS It is not the same data that is downloaded to a MS which is what I really wont [:(]
- FYI - other .BMPs listed @ http://pws.prserv.net/pjc/trains/loksymbole.html
Peter
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2005 13:31:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Gee here was me thinking this was just a loco controllerbiggrinbiggrin

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline HueyCE  
#18 Posted : 12 December 2005 18:53:41(UTC)
HueyCE

Bo- Armed Forces Network, they show the football games to US troops stationed overseas. I thought that was how you are getting to watch the football games.
Ira

Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 12 December 2005 19:07:22(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hello Bo. This is super, keep up the good work! [:p][:p][:p]
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 12 December 2005 20:15:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum clapcott.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline plutoodie  
#21 Posted : 12 December 2005 20:58:20(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />Bo- Armed Forces Network, they show the football games to US troops stationed overseas. I thought that was how you are getting to watch the football games.
Ira

We get it on national TV Smile
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#22 Posted : 12 December 2005 21:37:52(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />

- Yes 67.bmp is the function car
- No I have not found how to change the UI list (which I think is actually 9 + default confused )
- The datenbank has a byte that points to the icon but it only ever uses 00,10,11,41 which is why a lot of the legacy items do not have a good picture match. I have found other values do point to different icons but I have not established a pattern.
- While changes to the datenbank appear to work on the CS It is not the same data that is downloaded to a MS which is what I really wont [:(]
- FYI - other .BMPs listed @ http://pws.prserv.net/pjc/trains/loksymbole.html

Looking at the central station to mobile station download the following seems to happen:

1. I think that the software is downloaded to the mobile station. It seems like that the software can be found in the following files depending on the 1.2A or 1.9A version:

/img/lib/image/4010_1-3_mobile-station_A.bci (1.2A version)
/img/lib/image/c010_1-3_mobile-station_A.bci (1.9A version)

2. To me it sounds plausible that the datenbank.bin also is downloaded - how did you test that you changes did not make it to the mobile station? Please remember that you cannot transfer the picture as these are static LCD items on the mobilestation...

Note that the fact that the two softwares are present on the central station is intriguing as somebody mentioned that the mobile station 1.2A and 1.9A are acutally the same hardware with different software. Hence, one should be able to update the mobile station 1.2A to a 1.9A mobile station - that would be cool! Anybody know of a way to trigger the download, so I can test it?
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline Wissels  
#23 Posted : 12 December 2005 21:42:19(UTC)
Wissels

Hello Bo,

i am sure the databank is also downloaded, because firtst i can't found a lot of my locnumbers at the mobile station, later i found all my Márklin locs,

Greetings,

Walter
Offline clapcott  
#24 Posted : 13 December 2005 07:01:52(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />Looking at the central station to mobile station download the following seems to happen:

1. I think that the software is downloaded to the mobile station. It seems like that the software can be found in the following files depending on the 1.2A or 1.9A version:

2. To me it sounds plausible that the datenbank.bin also is downloaded - how did you test that you changes did not make it to the mobile station? Please remember that you cannot transfer the picture as these are static LCD items on the mobilestation...

Note that the fact that the two softwares are present on the central station is intriguing as somebody mentioned that the mobile station 1.2A and 1.9A are acutally the same hardware with different software. Hence, one should be able to update the mobile station 1.2A to a 1.9A mobile station - that would be cool! Anybody know of a way to trigger the download, so I can test it?

2) after updating datenbank.bin with a different default motorola address and changed function assignments, I then used the CS UI to add a legacy device "From database" and indeed the legacy motorola address was picked up. This was a test but is mute because the CS allows reassignment of functions anyway.
Howver I then connected a downlevel MS and the automatic update occured to version 1.3 but neither the legacy address nor the function assignments appeared to stick when I disconnect the MS and try to use it on its own.

1) I had updated the 4010 link pointers to reference the C010 image but this was after I had already updated all my (and friends) MS's so I am waiting to find another one to test the theory. I did try to create a 1.4 pointer thinking that that was all that was needed to trigger the refresh but it hasn't worked. So I think there must be some other file of versions somewhere.
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#25 Posted : 13 December 2005 07:07:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Wissels
<br />i am sure the databank is also downloaded, because firtst i can't found a lot of my locnumbers at the mobile station, later i found all my Márklin locs,

Yes an update of the MS code to 1.3 does include an updated list list of legacy devices (most of the 2004 and 2005 new items). However I think this is imbeded in the total image file. The seperate "datenbank.bin" file that can be seen and I have edited does not seem to be the one that is used during an MS update.
Peter
Offline Guus  
#26 Posted : 13 December 2005 13:21:49(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Bo,

Welcome to the forum Smile.

I'm deeply impressed by your knowledge of programming.

Although I would not try any tweak on a CS if I had one,this still makes very interesting reading.For me it all adds to a deeper knowledge and hopefully better understanding of the operating principles.

Thanks
Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline stephenbb  
#27 Posted : 13 December 2005 15:57:17(UTC)
stephenbb

Bo! keep sending the tweaks.
Stephen(USA)
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline plutoodie  
#28 Posted : 13 December 2005 21:36:38(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />Looking at the central station to mobile station download the following seems to happen:

2) after updating datenbank.bin with a different default motorola address and changed function assignments, I then used the CS UI to add a legacy device "From database" and indeed the legacy motorola address was picked up. This was a test but is mute because the CS allows reassignment of functions anyway.
Howver I then connected a downlevel MS and the automatic update occured to version 1.3 but neither the legacy address nor the function assignments appeared to stick when I disconnect the MS and try to use it on its own.

1) I had updated the 4010 link pointers to reference the C010 image but this was after I had already updated all my (and friends) MS's so I am waiting to find another one to test the theory. I did try to create a 1.4 pointer thinking that that was all that was needed to trigger the refresh but it hasn't worked. So I think there must be some other file of versions somewhere.

1) I had a MS that was not updated - did the linking and it is still a 1.2A... Strange. Also tried the creation of the 1.4 pointer (in both the can and images libraries) - no triggering of download? Waht are we missing?
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#29 Posted : 14 December 2005 00:04:54(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />
1) I had a MS that was not updated - did the linking and it is still a 1.2A... Strange. Also tried the creation of the 1.4 pointer (in both the can and images libraries) - no triggering of download? Waht are we missing?

Hmmm - just noticed the mobile station I did this trick to is marked as "AN:60651" under the Setup/info menu. This is the 1.9A Märklin number according to the discussion in the "Mobile Station - 1.2/1.9A" topic.... All others I MS I downloaded are marked as "AN:60652". For all of them "OUC: 1.2A" is marked... Seems like I actually downloaded the software - any good suggestions on how to test if I get 1.9A??
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline clapcott  
#30 Posted : 14 December 2005 11:18:16(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
Hmmm - just noticed the mobile station I did this trick to is marked as "AN:60651" under the Setup/info menu. This is the 1.9A Märklin number according to the discussion in the "Mobile Station - 1.2/1.9A" topic.... All others I MS I downloaded are marked as "AN:60652". For all of them "OUC: 1.2A" is marked... Seems like I actually downloaded the software - any good suggestions on how to test if I get 1.9A??

Bo, what code type is shown under info? 4010 or c010 ?

For OVC (OVer Current) testing i would but an ammeter in series with the feed from the transformer and then use jja good old wirewound variable resister connected between the rail and stud to simulate a slowly (but firmly) increasing load and note at what current draw the MS cuts out.
Important: make sure the transformer is capable of delivering &gt; 1.9Amps (= 30VA @ 16v). The black bricks that come with most starter sets cannot (only 18VA and it is DC).
Peter
Offline hxmiesa  
#31 Posted : 19 December 2005 16:57:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hello Users,

Quote:
<br />

Where is the continuation of this story?
It was actually THIS very thread that made me (finally) subscribe to Marklin-users! ;-)

So...? (Eagerly awaiting the results of the amp-test... Zzzzzzzzz...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline clapcott  
#32 Posted : 19 December 2005 20:17:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I reproduced Bo's achievement to load the 60651 image into a 60652. My tests on current draw show no change in the current draw before "shorting" off.
Peter
Offline hxmiesa  
#33 Posted : 20 December 2005 10:55:36(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
<br />I reproduced Bo's achievement to load the 60651 image into a 60652. My tests on current draw show no change in the current draw before "shorting" off.

Okay, thanks Peter!

If you guys keep trying, I´m sure there will be a breakthough some day? ;-) (Maybe surgery is need to circumvent some hardcoded option?)
Best regards
Offline Purellum  
#34 Posted : 21 December 2005 03:22:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hello friends.

I find things like this very interesting, to do things that can't be done, so I hope you will continue

I have opened my 5 MS's, and they are almost all different inside.

1: 1,2A, 60652 on back, on PCB: Märklin mobile station 1.1 and by ESU

2: Like #1

3: 1,9A, 60651 on back, on PCB: Märklin mobile station 1.0 ( No ESU! ) More komponents on display-side of PCB than #1 and #2, one of them a kristal

4: 1,9A, 60651 on back, on PCB: Märklin mobile station 1.1 and by ESU More komponents ( 3 very small, looks like resistors or capacitors ) on display-side of PCB than #1 and #2, but no kristal

5: like #4, but with different rubber-thing to secure cable.

I hope that this will help you get further.

On the other hand, I don't see the need for this, my own testing of trafos, original wire-ing and MS, found that the voltage drop was so large (( 7-8 volts ),link: https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=3565 ) that a far better solution is to by a booster of some kind. ( Delta station, 17 EURO. )

My Christmas wish from you tweaker-guys is: find a solution that lets one master MS have more than one slave.[:p]

Thank you, merry christmas and happy new year. biggrin

Per.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#35 Posted : 21 December 2005 09:28:21(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
My Christmas wish from you tweaker-guys is: find a solution that lets one master MS have more than one slave.[:p]

Per,

I have used the terminal to connect more than one slave to a master MS. (the bus is common dot-ored). All MSs powered on but only the first slave would become active. Any others word display "No Master".
To resolve this I think we would have to get deep into the MS microcode.
Peter
Offline hxmiesa  
#36 Posted : 21 December 2005 12:36:08(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
On the other hand, I don't see the need for this, my own testing of trafos, original wire-ing and MS, found that the voltage drop was so large (( 7-8 volts ),link: https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=3565 ) that a far better solution is to by a booster of some kind. ( Delta station, 17 EURO. )

But the Delta wouldnt allow two-way comunication, and I understand that the MS (when using a Delta-booster) would have to be totally isolated from the tracks?!
Best regards
Offline Purellum  
#37 Posted : 21 December 2005 23:37:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Clapcott: I tried the same thing, as I wrote in the linked topic, but I'm still wishing! What does this mean:(the bus is common dot-ored).?confusedconfused

Hxmiesa: You are right, if you want the 2-way-com, delta is not the answer.

Thank you.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline stephenbb  
#38 Posted : 22 December 2005 00:43:37(UTC)
stephenbb

Keep sending the info!!!!!!!!!
Stephen(USA)
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline Fredrik  
#39 Posted : 27 December 2005 12:33:34(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
<br />Got the Central station a week ago - I like it! But ever since I discovered that the Central Station is a Linux box in disguise I have been thinking that it must be possible to tweak it.

Any body got any tweaks to the Central Station?

Please be aware that any tweaks should only the done by "computer" knowledgeable people and that tweaking the central station might render it COMPLETELY USELESS and it doubt that any warranty will apply!!!!

I can start by contributing with my most useful tweak:

Tweak 1:
As the Central Station essentially is a computer the application driving the central station sometime crashes ;-) I have had this happen to me twice. Both times the the central station just got a blank screen. Unfortunately, the application on the central station is kept alive by batteries in the Central Station and a power off / power on trick does not work. This means that the only way out is to power off and remove the batteries - but then all the data entered is lost :-(

The tweak:
1. Hook the Central Station up to you local home network
2. Log in as root
3. Reboot the Central Station using the "reboot" command.

The next tweak I'm working on is to backup and restore the data from the Central Station - it looks like the following files need to be backed up:
looks.bin
weichen.bin
daten/*

Furthermore, I'm considering making an X-mas tweak but making a lightshow using the Stop/Go buttons in conjunktion with the backlight.

Has anybody tryed making these two tweaks?

HHJJ
Bo

Hi,

have you found out how to backup/download all files to a pc (so I can examine them there instead)? I´m unfortunately not good enough on Linux systems...

And how did you find out to use the "ledstop_on &gt; /dev/mcs_ctrl"??

Somewhere in some file there must be a pointer to which engine-symbols to use, in which one then could enter the missing ones...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline prc  
#40 Posted : 27 December 2005 16:26:51(UTC)
prc

[quote
Hi,

have you found out how to backup/download all files to a pc (so I can examine them there instead)? I´m unfortunately not good enough on Linux systems...

Somewhere in some file there must be a pointer to which engine-symbols to use, in which one then could enter the missing ones...

Fredrik.

Fredrik, yes you can download files to your PC using the FTP protocol. Busybox supports ftpput and ftpget. You will need to have an FTP server application running on your PC, or easier use an Apple MAC computer which is also UNIX based (FTP already installed). It is easy for a single file but if you want to copy all images files in a directory you will want to run a script for that. If you want a copy of a script file to do that let me know and I will post. That is how I copied all of the graphic icon images down and can modify or change them and load them back on the CS.

I will point out that this is dangerous if something goes wrong putting files back oin the CS. If you make a mistake you can overwrite files that will completely disabled your CS and with no ability to load from a disk you will be SOL.

Regards
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline Fredrik  
#41 Posted : 27 December 2005 16:45:09(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by prc
<br />Fredrik, yes you can download files to your PC using the FTP protocol. Busybox supports ftpput and ftpget. You will need to have an FTP server application running on your PC, or easier use an Apple MAC computer which is also UNIX based (FTP already installed). It is easy for a single file but if you want to copy all images files in a directory you will want to run a script for that. If you want a copy of a script file to do that let me know and I will post. That is how I copied all of the graphic icon images down and can modify or change them and load them back on the CS.

I will point out that this is dangerous if something goes wrong putting files back oin the CS. If you make a mistake you can overwrite files that will completely disabled your CS and with no ability to load from a disk you will be SOL.

Regards

Hi,

I only wish to copy/download (all) the files available for now - not upload any (at least not now). And I don't have a MAC computer... but I'll try my ftp-client.

Thanx,

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
Offline plutoodie  
#42 Posted : 30 December 2005 00:42:49(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by fredsaf
<br />

Hi,

Fredrik.

With respect to the "ledstop_on &gt; /dev/mcs_ctrl": I figured this out by looking in the startup files for the Central Station ("/etc/init.d/S99startup") and for the CS Application ("/root/loop.sh" - triggered by the S99startup script).

A short summary of what I have found to be working with the "mcs_ctrl" device (aka the Märklin Central Station device) by looking in the devicedriver:

batt_on/batt_off: Turn the use of battery on and off. As long as the battery is "ON" the central station is still running even though the power is disconnected.

ledstop_on/ledstop_off: Light on/off in the "STOP" button.

ledgo_on/ledgo_off: Light on/off in the "GO" button.

backlight&lt;number&gt;: Set the backlight to the specified value. Seems like the range of legal values are 000-999. Unsure of the relation is to the "Backgroung lighting" option in the Central Station which has legal values 0-15.

...ups - the list is longer, but I have a slight problem - my CS is [xx(]
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#43 Posted : 30 December 2005 00:48:56(UTC)
plutoodie

[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

<u>HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP</u> - I accendentially ([:o)]) erased the file:

/lib/modules/mcs_adc.ko

could anybody email this file to me? Maybe this will teach me to make a backup [B)]
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline Fredrik  
#44 Posted : 30 December 2005 03:17:00(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
<br />

/lib/modules/mcs_adc.ko

could anybody email this file to me? Maybe this will teach me to make a backup [B)]

Hi,

I sure could mail that file to you - if I could only download the #¤%#¤ thing... My ftp won't connect to the CS... [:(]

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline prc  
#45 Posted : 30 December 2005 04:27:23(UTC)
prc

Quote:
<br />

/lib/modules/mcs_adc.ko

Yes, it will be later tonight though.

Regards
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline plavnostruev  
#46 Posted : 30 December 2005 07:09:38(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
What a gripping saga!

Now, wouldn't tweaking CS void its warranty?

I am a UNIX programmer (Linux is a flavor) and I am curious if anyone
has insights into how the GUI on CS was done - which technology
was used? Also I'd love to see screen shots, as I have developed
my own PC control program and I'd like to borrow some ideas [:p]

And whatever you guys do, don't run this command:

rm -r * [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Mike, hoping that Bo would get his file.
Offline prc  
#47 Posted : 30 December 2005 08:12:46(UTC)
prc

Quote:

I just emailed the file to you. let me know if you got it OK.

Regards
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline prc  
#48 Posted : 30 December 2005 08:25:45(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
<br />What a gripping saga!

Now, wouldn't tweaking CS void its warranty?

I am a UNIX programmer (Linux is a flavor) and I am curious if anyone
has insights into how the GUI on CS was done - which technology
was used? Also I'd love to see screen shots, as I have developed
my own PC control program and I'd like to borrow some ideas [:p]

And whatever you guys do, don't run this command:

rm -r * [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Mike, hoping that Bo would get his file.

What does rm -r * do??? Just kidding, although you may entice someone to try it. For you non-UNIX folks, it will delete all files from you present working directory recursively down through all sub-folders. If you do a rm -r / it will delete all files on the CS.[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

I believe the GUI is based on the Nano-X API. The Nano-X API was originally designed by David Bell, with his mini-x package for the MINIX operating system.

Regards
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline plutoodie  
#49 Posted : 30 December 2005 09:30:03(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by prc
<br />
Quote:

I just emailed the file to you. let me know if you got it OK.

Regards

Got it and my CS works - jubiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... Thanks - you saved by day! biggrin

Happy New Year

HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#50 Posted : 30 December 2005 09:41:13(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by fredsaf
<br />
Hi,

I sure could mail that file to you - if I could only download the #¤%#¤ thing... My ftp won't connect to the CS... [:(]

Fredrik.

I never could get FTP to work either, so I used the TFTP protocol instead - you may try the following (at your own risk of goofing up you CS beyond repair):

1. Install Pumpkin TFTP on your Windows PC (found it on http://www.download.com)

2. Use the following command to transfer the file to the PC

tftp -p -l &lt;filename&gt; &lt;hostname&gt;

You may use an IP-address as hostname. As an example executing "tftp -p -l output.bmp &lt;ip-adr&gt;", while in the /root directory will transfer the output.bmp file. (for some reason the Pumpkin TFTP server reports error if a path is given - probably due to UNIX/Windows pathname conventions confused)
HHJJ
Bo Jensen