Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plutoodie  
#51 Posted : 30 December 2005 09:51:28(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
<br />What a gripping saga!

Now, wouldn't tweaking CS void its warranty?

YES!!!

I am a UNIX programmer (Linux is a flavor) and I am curious if anyone
has insights into how the GUI on CS was done - which technology
was used? Also I'd love to see screen shots, as I have developed
my own PC control program and I'd like to borrow some ideas [:p]

Don't know how to make a screenshot from the CS, but the CS application seems to dump a screenshot in the file "/root/output.bmp". Don't know how to trigger this, but here it is (borrow - don't break copyright [^])

UserPostedImage

Mike, hoping that Bo would get his file.

Got it - it works - thank you guys

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 16:11:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#52 Posted : 30 December 2005 10:05:53(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plutoodie@hotmail.com
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
<br />What a gripping saga!

Now, wouldn't tweaking CS void its warranty?

YES!!!

I am a UNIX programmer (Linux is a flavor) and I am curious if anyone
has insights into how the GUI on CS was done - which technology
was used? Also I'd love to see screen shots, as I have developed
my own PC control program and I'd like to borrow some ideas [:p]

Don't know how to make a screenshot from the CS, but the CS application seems to dump a screenshot in the file "/root/output.bmp". Don't know how to trigger this, but here it is (borrow - don't break copyright [^])

Mike, hoping that Bo would get his file.

Got it - it works - thank you guys

Well - just figured out how to make a screenshot! Just use the "grab" command in the "/root" directory - it dumps a screendump in the output.bmp file. So here is a more interesting screendump:

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 16:10:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline prc  
#53 Posted : 31 December 2005 03:57:11(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:could anybody email this file to me? Maybe this will teach me to make a backup [B)]

Bo, what does HHJJ stand for?

Another question, have you figured how to reboot the CS with a new weichen.bin file (or any of the bin files located in the /root directory? I have made several different attempts to do this but it always goes back to the last version written by the CS. What I am doing is backing up weichen.bin which has all of the solenoid settings saved (switches, signals etc.) and want to be able to restore the latest copy in the event of a hard reset to the CS. There is nothing apparent in the script files or the init.d directory. My guess is it is part of the CS application that is doing a save before it does a reboot or shutdown. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline prc  
#54 Posted : 31 December 2005 08:26:55(UTC)
prc

My guess is it is part of the CS application that is doing a save before it does a reboot or shutdown. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

After playing some more, It does not save the file when shutting down/rebooting. I even did a "poweroff -d now" which stopped the CS (you have to remove the batteries to do this).

I noticed that the file date/time was created when the unit was booting up. Somewhere there is a backup file that is being referenced - maybe in the proc directory. I will keep looking.

Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline clapcott  
#55 Posted : 31 December 2005 10:33:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Paul,

My experience is that by leaving the batteries out, a file (datenbank.bin weichen.bin etc ..) does not get overwritten during the powerdown save function (when the Go/Stop light stay on for a while) . They are therefore read duiring the power up and the changes I have made are noted.

e.g. I backed up the weichen.bin and tabs - reset CS - then restored.
also I changed some of the values in the datenbank.bin - default icon etc.
Peter
Offline plutoodie  
#56 Posted : 31 December 2005 12:34:39(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />Paul,

My experience is that by leaving the batteries out, a file (datenbank.bin weichen.bin etc ..) does not get overwritten during the powerdown save function (when the Go/Stop light stay on for a while) . They are therefore read duiring the power up and the changes I have made are noted.

e.g. I backed up the weichen.bin and tabs - reset CS - then restored.
also I changed some of the values in the datenbank.bin - default icon etc.

Hi guys,

There is a much easier way! After a little analysing and manually starting the "main" application as done in the "loop.sh" script (try that and all kinds of interesting stuff is printed to stdout wink) I discovered that the main application updated the following files, when it exits:

Code:

loks.bin
ms*.bin         (the Mobile Station files)
model.bin
weichen.bin

Then I created an easy way to restore my configuration on the Central Station - do the following (only if you dare change stuff on your CS that violates the warranty! be careful [:0]):

1. Create a "backup" directory in "/root"

2. Copy your "*.bin" and "daten/*.mcs" files to the backup directory

3. Add a little stuff to the "/root/loop.sh" file after the line with "cd /root/", so you get the following:

Code:

#!/bin/sh -x
cd /root/

#--------------------------------------------------
# Use backup files if the ".use_backup" file exists
#--------------------------------------------------
if [ -f .use_backup ]; then
  cp backup/*.bin .
  cp backup/*.mcs daten
  rm .use_backup
fi

This means that everytime the Central Station is powered up it retrieves any ".bin" and ".mcs" file from the "backup" directory if you created the ".use_backup" file. This makes it easy to restore files and to have new (and altered) files introduced to the Central Station.

After doing this I succeeded in doing a Factory Reset followed by a COMPLETE restore of ALL CS settings!!!

BTW: It would be interesting if somebody analyzed the *.mcs files. Furthermore notice this trick of replacing .bin files should create a way for triggering the MS download! Yupiiiiiibiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#57 Posted : 31 December 2005 12:37:21(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by prc
<br />
Bo, what does HHJJ stand for?

Happy Happy Joy Joy - a quote from the Ren & Stimpy cartoon biggrin Today it should be Happy Happy New Year to you all - Happy New Year
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#58 Posted : 31 December 2005 15:28:24(UTC)
plutoodie

ok - twiddeling a bit more with the "loop.sh" script I came up with a way to alter the behaviour of the factory reset [^] Alter the loop.sh script as described below and you have an easy way to choose if you want factory reset to behave as the real fatory reset or just restore a backup configuration you have stored in the "backup" directory. This is controlled by the presence of the ".factory_reset_is_my_reset" file in the "/root" directory.

Furthermore this is useful for tweaking the *.bin (or .mcs) files. Just alter a specific .bin (or .mcs) file in the backup directory, make sure that the ".factory_reset_is_my_reset" file is present in the "/root" directory, hit factory reset and your file is copied to the "/root" directory and the CS application is restarted with the new .bin (or .mcs) files Cool

To get the tweak to work do the following (again remember that you might render the CS useless and break the warranty if you do this [}:)]):

1. Create a "backup" directory in "/root"

2. Copy your "*.bin" and "daten/*.mcs" files to the backup directory

3. Add a little stuff to the "/root/loop.sh" file after the line with "5)", so you get the following:

Code:

5)
      echo RESET
      ./hc12/trkstop
      ./hc12/trkstop -prg
      sleep 2

#------------------------------------------------------------------
      # If the file ".factory_reset_is..." exists then restore from the
      # backup directory. Otherwise perform normal factory reset.
      #------------------------------------------------------------------
      if [ -f .factory_reset_is_my_reset ]; then {
        echo MY RESET
        cp backup/*.bin .
        cp backup/*.mcs daten
      } else {
        echo FACTORY RESET
        rm -f loks.bin
        rm -f weichen.bin
        rm -f daten/*
        rm -f ms*.bin
        cp setup_init.mcs daten/setup.mcs
      } fi

echo dhcp &gt; /etc/network/ip-nr
      rm -f /tmp/ip-nr
      ;;

If you create the file ".factory_reset_is_my_reset" in "/root", then the copying of the backup files is performed every time you press the "RESET" button biggrin Remember to remove the file to have reset perform a normal factory reset Cool
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline prc  
#59 Posted : 31 December 2005 21:33:20(UTC)
prc

Hi guys,

There is a much easier way! After a little analysing and manually starting the "main" application as done in the "loop.sh" script (try that and all kinds of interesting stuff is printed to stdout wink) I discovered that the main application updated the following files, when it exits:

Bo, I get the following error when I start main manually. Were you able to get it to execute with no error?

root@uclibc:~#./main
Hallo hier ist ein thread...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'sys::Device::Error'
Aborted
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline plutoodie  
#60 Posted : 01 January 2006 12:42:15(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by prc
<br />
Hi guys,

Bo, I get the following error when I start main manually. Were you able to get it to execute with no error?

root@uclibc:~#./main
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'sys::Device::Error'
Aborted

No quite sure why you got this error confused Did you remember to start the supporting processes?

Two ways of manual start of the main application:

1. Alter the "/etc/init.d/S99startup" script and comment out the last line like so "#./loop.sh". After a fresh CS poweron (this means that the CS never gets beyond the point where the STOP button is light) you may start the application by executing the following:

Code:

cd /root
udplisten &
nano-X &
main

You can stop the application with &lt;ctrl-C&gt; and re-execute it as described below.

2. Shutdown the application - this is easiest done by killing the "loop.sh" script and the "nano-X" process (in this order), then the main processes automatically fails and exits. Then execute the main application doing the following:

Code:

cd /root
hc12/trkstop
hc12/trkstop -prg
nano-X &
main

Notice, that I did not kill the "udplisten" process, so there no need to re-execute this one. Furthermore, issuing the "hc12/trkstop" commands seems like a good thing (but not necessary) according to the "loop.sh" script. I suspect that these commands stops and resets the main and programming tracks, respectively. I get the following output with a manual start:

Code:

root@uclibc:~#hc12/trkstop
root@uclibc:~#hc12/trkstop -prg
root@uclibc:~#nano-X &
root@uclibc:~#kbd_cs: open Keyboard...opened
mou_tochscreen: open Touchscreen...opened

root@uclibc:~#main
read startup=0
wrote startup=0
Reading track switches from FS...
No track switches in weichen.bin
Reading Loks from FS...
anzLoks           19
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
CMulti::readFS: lm ptr=0x94db8
CMulti: 2 loks in Multi
      14608 14608
appending lok
CMulti without loks
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
appending lok
Lok for Multi found
Lok for Multi found
readLoks finished
keys[4]=0 keys[6]=0
setBlockStopGo(0) called...
CModel::go called
getIPaddr: dhcp selected by ip-nr
IP: 192.168.1.103
getIPstate: dhcp selected by ip-nr
Acknowledge 0x31: 0
CMSmanager::getMS(0x20fa4)
MS: same name
CMSmanager::getMS(0x2a53c)
MS: same name

As you see I have 19 loks with two of them in a consist, two Mobile Stations attached, but no solenoids configured biggrin

In order to stop the application just press &lt;ctrl-C&gt; and the main application produces the following output:

Code:

CMobileStation::writefs called...
release but not controlled in CLok::CControl
CMobileStation::writefs called...
release not from controlling observer
wrote startup=0
Writing track switches on FS...
Writing 19 Loks on FS...
CMSmanager::writefs() called...
[1] + Done                       nano-X
root@uclibc:~#

Enjoy Cool
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline clapcott  
#61 Posted : 02 January 2006 05:59:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
weichen.bin is the file that hold the definitions for accessories. It appears to have a 4 byte header followed by X number of 56 byte records.

The header appears to be simply the count of records
Each 56 byte accessory records have the accessory base address at offset 12/13 (ref starts at 0 for 1st byte). While the UI only permits 256 addresses it is possible to set a value higher, e.g. 1/1 = 257 2/1 =258 3/1=259 .......

A k83/k84 set to box 65 (- - 3 - - 6 - -) will recognise addresses 257-260.
Peter
Offline prc  
#62 Posted : 02 January 2006 09:00:15(UTC)
prc

No quite sure why you got this error confused Did you remember to start the supporting processes?

Thanks Bo, not I did that OK but I had a late night "common sense blackout". I killed the PID for nano-X but not for main so I was trying to run 2 instances of main - good reason to get the error!

Later
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline Davy  
#63 Posted : 02 January 2006 16:41:14(UTC)
Davy

Newer versions CS can't be tweaked any more. They have a password.
http://stummi.foren-city...ahrungsaustausch-cs.html
M-track with a CS2.
Offline Maxi  
#64 Posted : 02 January 2006 16:52:00(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Davy
<br />Newer versions CS can't be tweaked any more. They have a password.

Reminds me of the programmings days gone by, if this statement is true go here. Now that I am hear read this line and go there. Now I am right back where I started from. Repeat if necessary.Smile
Offline hxmiesa  
#65 Posted : 03 January 2006 18:05:19(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Davy
<br />Newer versions CS can't be tweaked any more. They have a password.

Aw c'mon! How hard can it be to guess/crack -or- how much time will it take for the password to leak?
According to the same forum, one should try with the word "root", or make an ftp-connection on another port, like 21 or 13.

Tweak on! ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Webmaster  
#66 Posted : 08 January 2006 23:58:06(UTC)
Webmaster

If you read plutoodies first post again, he says "log in as root"... Usually this means root/no password, root/root or root/pass ...
I know one member's company that usually uses root/pass in their devices... wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Fredrik  
#67 Posted : 14 January 2006 23:14:03(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plutoodie
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by fredsaf
<br />
Hi,

I sure could mail that file to you - if I could only download the #¤%#¤ thing... My ftp won't connect to the CS... [:(]

Fredrik.

I never could get FTP to work either, so I used the TFTP protocol instead - you may try the following (at your own risk of goofing up you CS beyond repair):

1. Install Pumpkin TFTP on your Windows PC (found it on http://www.download.com)

2. Use the following command to transfer the file to the PC

tftp -p -l &lt;filename&gt; &lt;hostname&gt;

You may use an IP-address as hostname. As an example executing "tftp -p -l output.bmp &lt;ip-adr&gt;", while in the /root directory will transfer the output.bmp file. (for some reason the Pumpkin TFTP server reports error if a path is given - probably due to UNIX/Windows pathname conventions confused)

Isn't there ny easier way to download all files? If one could erase the whole CS by writing rm -r * then there should be a command to copy the root directory (recursively and thereby getting all other directories as well). My reason to do this are:

1 - being able to read whatever files are "onboard" (as I can't do this using the ftp-port)

2 - find out which of all items in the directories are files and which are sub-directories and so on...

I have a simple ftp-connection which works but I can't possible se which item is what... neither can I open (read) any scripts. So if I could only donload the whole thing to a directory on my computer I'd be happy (for now)... Smile

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline plutoodie  
#68 Posted : 16 January 2006 19:33:47(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />I have a simple ftp-connection which works but I can't possible se which item is what... neither can I open (read) any scripts. So if I could only donload the whole thing to a directory on my computer I'd be happy (for now)... Smile

Fredrik.

Hi Fredrik,

Use the Linux 'tar' command for collecting files and directories. The following will collect the files from the "/root" directory and put them into the file "/tmp/root.tar":

Code:

cd /
tar -cvf /tmp/root.tar root

If you wanna compress the file at the same time do the following:

Code:

cd /
tar -zcvf /tmp/root.tar root

Transfer the file to your PC and untar it... To do this you have to find a tar-utility for you PC. I use WinZip as I already had it... Try searching for "tar" on http://www.download.com for a suitable utility - "PoedSoft Archiver 3.3 Build 20" is free and claims to be able to handle TAR files. I have not tried it though. Another way is to use cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com), which give you a set of unix commandline tools wink

Only bad thing about the tar command on the CS is that it does not collect symbolic links [:(]
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline Fredrik  
#69 Posted : 21 January 2006 20:56:41(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
<br />
Hi Fredrik,

Use the Linux 'tar' command for collecting files and directories. The following will collect the files from the "/root" directory and put them into the file "/tmp/root.tar":

Code:

cd /
tar -cvf /tmp/root.tar root

If you wanna compress the file at the same time do the following:

Code:

cd /
tar -zcvf /tmp/root.tar root

Transfer the file to your PC and untar it... To do this you have to find a tar-utility for you PC. I use WinZip as I already had it... Try searching for "tar" on http://www.download.com for a suitable utility - "PoedSoft Archiver 3.3 Build 20" is free and claims to be able to handle TAR files. I have not tried it though. Another way is to use cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com), which give you a set of unix commandline tools wink

Only bad thing about the tar command on the CS is that it does not collect symbolic links [:(]

Hi,

thanx - the tar-command worked fine BUT... I still can't get my tftp to connect to my CS... [:(] So I can still see the files, just can't examine 'em...

You couldn't mail the file? What size is that compressed file? Or the install-file for the tftp you use...? (must have got the wrong version)

Regards,

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
Offline plutoodie  
#70 Posted : 22 January 2006 11:07:07(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />
thanx - the tar-command worked fine BUT... I still can't get my tftp to connect to my CS... [:(] So I can still see the files, just can't examine 'em...

Reading this it seems to me you're trying to tftp from the PC to the CSconfused This is the wrong way - the CS does not have a ftp or tftp server installed.

You should log into the CS and tftp to your PC. Do the following to tftp the "output.bmp" (screenshot) to you PC:

1. Log in as root
2. Enter the following commands

Code:

cd /root
tftp -p -l output.bmp &lt;hostname&gt;

BTW: If you're using the Pumpkin TFTP, then you may want to increase the "Confirmation timeout" in Options-&gt;Server (mine is 3/4 to the top). And change the "Default connection timeout" in Options-&gt;Network (mine is 60).

Quote:
<br />
You couldn't mail the file? What size is that compressed file? Or the install-file for the tftp you use...? (must have got the wrong version)

I have emailed you the Pumkpin TFTP

HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline Maxi  
#71 Posted : 22 January 2006 16:54:17(UTC)
Maxi

For anyone using a PC you may want to look at the following program.
It is a tftp server, dhcp server all in one.
Does not require installation, just expand and run.
Recommended by Cisco, HP and other companies.
Constantly updated.
and it is free.

I have used it and it works very well.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/...ippe.jounin/tftpd32.html

Maxi
Offline gmorrison01  
#72 Posted : 22 January 2006 21:37:09(UTC)
gmorrison01

Another alternative to transfering files is to use NFS. My CS has a file called "start" in /root that gives a clue as to how this was done at the factory and/or lab. If you have (or can setup) a system that acts as a NFS server (e.g., a PC running linux), you can mount a dir on the PC linux system to the CS fs.
GEM
Offline plutoodie  
#73 Posted : 24 January 2006 00:52:49(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />

With respect to the "ledstop_on &gt; /dev/mcs_ctrl": I figured this out by looking in the startup files for the Central Station ("/etc/init.d/S99startup") and for the CS Application ("/root/loop.sh" - triggered by the S99startup script).

A short summary of what I have found to be working with the "mcs_ctrl" device (aka the Märklin Central Station device) by looking in the devicedriver:

batt_on/batt_off: Turn the use of battery on and off. As long as the battery is "ON" the central station is still running even though the power is disconnected.

ledstop_on/ledstop_off: Light on/off in the "STOP" button.

ledgo_on/ledgo_off: Light on/off in the "GO" button.

backlight&lt;number&gt;: Set the backlight to the specified value. Seems like the range of legal values are 000-999. Unsure of the relation is to the "Backgroung lighting" option in the Central Station which has legal values 0-15.

...ups - the list is longer, but I have a slight problem - my CS is [xx(]

Even better - you can just read the help to the device driver:

Code:

root@uclibc:~#more /sys/devices/mcs_ctrl/help
batt_on
batt_off
12V_on
12V_off
ledstop_on
ledstop_off
ledgo_on
ledgo_off
backlight___   set backlight PWM to ___
lcdpwm___      set LCD voltage PWM to ___
resethc12      short high-low pulse to reset HC12
reshc12_hi
reshc12_lo
adc            show A/D values
lcdtim0=
lcdtim1=
lcdtim2=
nand           not working with JFFS2 file system

and you can see the battery power left with:

Code:

root@uclibc:~#more /sys/devices/mcs_ctrl/battery
5632mV
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline plutoodie  
#74 Posted : 24 January 2006 01:03:34(UTC)
plutoodie

Funny enough there are two device device drivers, that are not loaded: "ecos_sound.ko" and "esu_gpio.ko".

Isn't it just a little too interesting that the CS has a device driver called "ECOS sound module..."??? I wonder what the similarity is with the upcomming ECoS?

The other driver is described as "ESU GPIO Driver" - could this be S88 support?

BTW: I did not notice any interesting changes by loading these drivers...
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline reh  
#75 Posted : 17 April 2006 00:19:17(UTC)
reh

Is there anyone like that can't injoy all the twaeks these posts.
The reason is that my CS seems to be upgraded to ver. 1.6.134 and the root login has been changed to require password [:(],or the login has been changed to another login name.
Can anyone help.[:p]
BigOne
Offline steventrain  
#76 Posted : 17 April 2006 11:39:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Reb,

Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline DasBert33  
#77 Posted : 30 September 2006 23:43:21(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi all,

Is anyone still working/playing with this? On Ecos you can log on via telnet using 'default' as user and I was wondering if we could try to find similarities/differences between ecos/cs. My objective is to enable mfx on ecos (which is supposed to be inside).

At first sight everything is awfully similar (which I expected). The device drivers and other files still have the same names.

I have some experience with embedded Linux/Busybox from work. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bert
Offline plutoodie  
#78 Posted : 01 October 2006 15:18:48(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DasBert33
<br />Hi all,

Is anyone still working/playing with this? On Ecos you can log on via telnet using 'default' as user and I was wondering if we could try to find similarities/differences between ecos/cs. My objective is to enable mfx on ecos (which is supposed to be inside).

At first sight everything is awfully similar (which I expected). The device drivers and other files still have the same names.

I have some experience with embedded Linux/Busybox from work. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bert

Sounds interesting - did you log in as root? Could you try and look in the following files and report what they say? I would like to see what the differences are to the CS:

To see what CPU: more /proc/cpuinfo
How much memory: more /proc/meminfo
Linix version: more /proc/version

I god the following last I tried (copied from a previous post) biggrin

more /proc/cpuinfo:

Code:

Processor : ARM720T rev 3 (v4l)
BogoMIPS : 37.99
Features : swp half thumb
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 4T
CPU variant : 0x00
CPU part : 0x720
CPU revision : 3

Hardware : ESU LH79525 Board
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000006090501

more /proc/meminfo:

Code:

MemTotal: 30572 kB
MemFree: 20016 kB
Buffers: 0 kB
Cached: 4460 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 6360 kB
Inactive: 1336 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 30572 kB
LowFree: 20016 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 4620 kB
Slab: 1660 kB
CommitLimit: 15284 kB
Committed_AS: 11816 kB
PageTables: 176 kB
VmallocTotal: 614400 kB
VmallocUsed: 408 kB
VmallocChunk: 4136960 kB

more /proc/version:

Code:
Linux version 2.6.11

Of the top of my head I can't rememer how to see the version number of the CS application...

This is exiting - if they are really similar - and you actually can log into the ECoS with root permissions - then I might actually have to buy one!!!!!!!
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline DasBert33  
#79 Posted : 01 October 2006 18:49:53(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
<br />
Sounds interesting - did you log in as root? Could you try and look in the following files and report what they say? I would like to see what the differences are to the CS:

To see what CPU: more /proc/cpuinfo
How much memory: more /proc/meminfo
Linix version: more /proc/version

I god the following last I tried (copied from a previous post) biggrin

more /proc/cpuinfo:

Code:

more /proc/meminfo:

Code:

MemTotal: 30572 kB
MemFree: 20016 kB
Cached: 4460 kB
Active: 6360 kB
Inactive: 1336 kB
LowTotal: 30572 kB
LowFree: 20016 kB
Mapped: 4620 kB
Slab: 1660 kB
CommitLimit: 15284 kB
Committed_AS: 11816 kB
PageTables: 176 kB
VmallocUsed: 408 kB

more /proc/version:

Code:
Linux version 2.6.11

Of the top of my head I can't rememer how to see the version number of the CS application...

This is exiting - if they are really similar - and you actually can log into the ECoS with root permissions - then I might actually have to buy one!!!!!!!

I did not check right now but on stummi.de they already tried the same thing and the boards are exactly the same. You can verify there, but I will also post here later when I have more time...

'root' doesnt work as login, 'default' does... Even if I don't have privileges to change things, I might be able to copy some files and get them to you or something?

Bert
Offline Fredrik  
#80 Posted : 01 October 2006 19:06:57(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
I agree with Bo,

I'll order an ECoS to, just to compare (and program for). "Default" does work on the CS (as username) too (at least on my CS), although it off course does not give root-privilegies.
Fredrik.
Offline DasBert33  
#81 Posted : 02 October 2006 22:19:05(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
As promised, here the info from ecos (search the differences ;) )

Serial : 0000000002050601

MemTotal: 30664 kB
MemFree: 18328 kB
Cached: 6264 kB
Active: 7088 kB
Inactive: 2028 kB
LowTotal: 30664 kB
LowFree: 18328 kB
Mapped: 4488 kB
Slab: 2024 kB
CommitLimit: 15332 kB
Committed_AS: 11432 kB
PageTables: 172 kB
VmallocUsed: 464 kB

Linux version 2.6.11

Offline Webmaster  
#82 Posted : 02 October 2006 22:45:28(UTC)
Webmaster

If you think about it, it should be possible to replace the Linux with WinCE and use it as PDA... wink

I just wonder how much is "in-house" hardware, ie not standard i/o chips, or if it is mostly just software that controls the i/o ports via standard interface logic chips to the display, control knob reading, Ethernet interface and so on... If mostly standard chips are used, it should be possible to make your own OS/Software to tailor the unit for your needs...

Just too bad the processor is not of the x86 type, then I could have made some fancy WinXP embedded OS for it... biggrin

Has anyone seen the inside of it yet? I just wonder if the flash memory inside is a circuit soldered to the board or if it is a removable/exchangable flash module connected to a pinned interface as IDE, USB, SD/CF-card socket or such...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline DamonKelly  
#83 Posted : 03 October 2006 14:03:15(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Quote:
<br />As promised, here the info from ecos (search the differences ;) )

&lt;snip&gt;

Linux version 2.6.11

Any idea what brand the MCU is? Lots of companies make ARM-cored MCUs.
I'd guess an ST, Märklin and ESU being German.
Philips do a range using the ARM7TDMI-S core, but I don't know how Linux would report it.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline brettsh  
#84 Posted : 03 October 2006 19:11:37(UTC)
brettsh

Hi,

ESU and Maerklin both obviously use a SoC LH79525 from Sharp.

Detailled information can be found here:

http://www.sharpsma.com/...mericas/en/part/LH79525/

Have fun !!!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Helmut Brettschneider
Offline brettsh  
#85 Posted : 03 October 2006 19:15:53(UTC)
brettsh

Hi,

ESU and Maerklin both obviously use a SoC LH79525 from Sharp.

Detailled information can be found here:

http://www.sharpsma.com/...mericas/en/part/LH79525/

Have fun !!!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Helmut Brettschneider
Offline plutoodie  
#86 Posted : 07 October 2006 17:47:57(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />As promised, here the info from ecos (search the differences ;) )

MemTotal: 30664 kB
MemFree: 18328 kB
Cached: 6264 kB
Active: 7088 kB
Inactive: 2028 kB
LowTotal: 30664 kB
LowFree: 18328 kB
Mapped: 4488 kB
Slab: 2024 kB
CommitLimit: 15332 kB
Committed_AS: 11432 kB
PageTables: 172 kB
VmallocUsed: 464 kB

Linux version 2.6.11

I would say that the only difference is that ECos has a different serial:

CS:

Sounds like they are almost completely the same - great!
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline b-earl  
#87 Posted : 12 October 2006 16:05:27(UTC)
b-earl

Hi!

Is there anybody who could send me the 67 bmp pictures in the loksymbole map?
Because in my CS version SW 1.6.134 there are only 11 pictures.
Tanks in advance.
Greetings
Claes
Offline Fredrik  
#88 Posted : 12 October 2006 16:32:25(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by b-earl
<br />Hi!

Tanks in advance.
Greetings
Claes

Hi,

I haven't downloaded them from mine, but all 67 are there - although the CS only shows the same 11 you probably have. There's some internal block from using them all... (so my guess is that your CS contain all of them also)

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline b-earl  
#89 Posted : 12 October 2006 16:36:36(UTC)
b-earl

Hi Fredrik!

Can you, if you log on the CS (I can only do it as "default") see all the 67 bitmaps in the map loksymbole or only 11. The problem is that i only see 11 bitmap pictures.

Greetings
Claes
Offline steventrain  
#90 Posted : 12 October 2006 21:24:08(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hello and welcome to the forum Claes.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline clapcott  
#91 Posted : 14 October 2006 00:12:09(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by b-earl
<br />Hi!

Tanks in advance.
Greetings
Claes

I posted this a while ago

FYI - other .BMPs listed @ http://pws.prserv.net/pjc/trains/loksymbole.html

The bmps are in your version of sw BUT the UI (user interface) only lets you see 11. By renaming the files it is possible to tune the 11 that are visible. And/Or (as in the case of my playing with the Function Car ) edit them by GET/PUTs. This may not be available with the 'default' signin at your level.
Peter
Offline justin182  
#92 Posted : 25 November 2006 03:10:56(UTC)
justin182

United States   
I bought a new tv today and this just hit me because the tv came with documentation for busybox, gcc and libc.so source code to be found on the company's website.

Since we've established in this thread that the CS is using busybox, has anybody found the source code? Under the GPL, the source code for the open source software is required to be freely available. It should include documentation on how to obtain it, etc. Any ideas?

Offline MHauge  
#93 Posted : 25 November 2006 12:10:00(UTC)
MHauge

The source code for busybox can be found here http://www.busybox.net/
They don't have to release the source code for the special programs used to control trains and so on.

Michael
Märklin C-tracks, Mobile Station, Danish Ep 4
Offline bibihest  
#94 Posted : 30 July 2007 00:00:45(UTC)
bibihest

Did anyone try this on an updated cs?

Would be cool if it was possible to alter some files or copy stuff to the CS :)

Maybe create new languages or change the display
UserPostedImage
Offline Mafi  
#95 Posted : 06 August 2007 23:48:15(UTC)
Mafi

Hi bibihest,

at the moment it looks for me that either
Telnet and FTP are password-blocked. Would be great to hear about succesfull FTP-connection to the new
updated CS. I failed to do it....

Mafi
Don't be too proud of the new high tech terror you just have invented! (Darth Vader, Episode IV)
Offline bibihest  
#96 Posted : 07 August 2007 00:40:03(UTC)
bibihest

Have tried about 10000 telnet passwords but no luck. Probably impossible to guess :) but would be great to get full access somehow.

My bruteforce software said it would take a couple of milleniums to find, so I gave up
UserPostedImage
Offline mascagni  
#97 Posted : 22 August 2007 23:41:38(UTC)
mascagni

If the central station is a Linux box, is there a way to run a virtual central station on a Linux box w/o having to buy the station?--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline Hemmerich  
#98 Posted : 23 August 2007 17:14:51(UTC)
Hemmerich

Not really; only if you also have the mandatory development tools and aditional hardware which is included in this box.
Offline mascagni  
#99 Posted : 24 August 2007 02:00:33(UTC)
mascagni

I agree that you need specialized hardware, but a PC can send output to an IB, for example, and so a Linux program could look very much like the CS, I imagine. However, I doubt if the code for the CS is open source wink.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein