Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Purellum  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2005 18:38:35(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hello everybody out there. I am new at this forum, and having a lot of questions about the mobstat, I hope that some of you will be able to make a summary of what is known about it. I have found a lot of usefull information here, but it takes some time to surf around, and it still leaves me with questions. ( Hopefully not only me! )
Questions like: If 2 mobstats connected as master/slave "talks" on a CAN-bus, it should be possible to connect many more slaves, IF you know the schematics of the wires? ( I don't. ) And: If you know the protocol of the CAN-bus, shouldn't it be possible to connect a PC or PLC to this bus? By converting RS-485? How?
I hope this is not too much to ask!

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2005 19:22:21(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Interesting thought. I doubt very much if a master Mobstat has the software to communicate with more than one slave, even if they could be connected electrically. I have no knowledge about what the CAN-bus can :-) , nor how the MobStat connection itself relates to the CAN-bus. It's said that CS uses a CAN-bus as system bus.

/Lars
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2005 19:24:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum Purellum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2005 19:49:33(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Welcome to the forum.
But what will be the point of having more than two, even more than one since you cannot have more than one ten loco list with one or two mobstats.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2005 20:25:45(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hello again, and thank you for the velcome's.
Lars: Under the topic "The new Märklin protocol", started by YOU!, I fonud the information about CAN-bus in Mobstat. Reading about the CAN on the mighty internet, I learned that one item "talking" on the bus keeps all other to shut up, meaning that there is no master! One mobstat being master is, as I see it, only related to power.
Franciscohg: The point of more mobstats is more people playing on the same layout, on the same time! ( On the CS it is posible. ) Driving Maxi it is interesting to me , since my layout is planned to be big!!!
I have 5 mobstats already, and I wouldn't mind doing the test, but I don't even know what color wire does what yet.

Thank you

Per.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline aj1201  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2005 17:36:17(UTC)
aj1201

What about power? Wouldn't the more MS's less power for track?
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2005 01:26:50(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hallo again.
I did some tests, and here is the results in short:
A master mobstat uses about 170_mA.
A slave mobstat uses about 35_mA.
I allso hooked up some big resistors, just to the limit of my 1,9_A mobstat, that gave me 1,75_A on the amperemeter!
And here comes the bad part: The voltage on the tracks is about 18,6_V with no load, and about 11,0_V with full load!!! THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! ( Better buy a big booster! )
And to the master/slave issue:
With 1 master and 1 slave, if you take the slave of the bus, the display goes: NO MASTER.
With 1 master and 2 slaves, one of the slaves goes: NO MASTER.
With 2 masters and 1 slave, the slave gets confused, and react partly to both masters. The masters ignore each other.
So, next question from me: How does a mobstat react when connected as slave to a CS? Like a slave or "its own master"?

Thank you.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2005 02:02:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
How do you get 2 masters?
Connecting 2 mobstats with to UB to the layout?
Just as M says not to do?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2005 02:20:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
How do you get 2 masters?

By cutting of the connectors, and then connecting the wires. I did not connect the output-wires of one of the masters, in order not to make any shortcuts.
BTW, cutting of the connectors was done because I find the M* connectors way too bad. RJ45 will be the solution for me.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2005 02:36:36(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Interesting....
Can you put a scheme of the connections?
How did it work with only two masters and no slave?
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2005 03:23:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
How did it work with only two masters and no slave? The masters ignored each other.
Can you put a scheme of the connections? No, but I can try to tell:
There are 8 wires going to the mobstat.
On a single master that is:
The green wire supply positive power from the uglybox
The blue wire supply negative power from the uglybox
The black wire is power output, that becomes the red wire after the uglybox
The amber wire is power output, that becomes the brown wire after the uglybox
When a slave is added:
The violet from the master goes to the violet of the slave ( BUS )
The yellow from the master goes to the yellow of the slave ( BUS )
The brown from the master goes to the brown of the slave
The red from the master goes to the red and the blue of the slave ( The brown and red from the master carries a voltage of 21,5_V_DC, with the brown being the positive. )
Beware: The colors of the wires in the "7 to 10" pole connection cable are not the same as the colors of the wires in the mobstat-cable!!!

I hope that this makes sense, otherwise, ask again!!! ( I don't mind making a scheme, it's just a lot of work, and I am allergic biggrin )

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2005 04:16:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Some sense.......
For making two masters......scheme please :)
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2005 05:14:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Some sense.......
For making two masters......scheme please :)
: It gives no meaning to connect two masters, since you can only connect one of them to the tracks, and they don't communicate on the CAN-bus. I only tried this to see, if they could talk on the bus, and they can not. In other words, what I tried did not work, I only talk about two masters because the mobstats both think they are masters. Making a scheme is just a risk for me to have somebody make tests with their equipment that could be very expencive. So you see, I have allready changed my mind, I do mind making a scheme!

Keep the pot boiling.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 30 November 2005 05:29:29(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
So, we were misunderstanding eachother.
I though that you were able to have two masters to the tracks, so that were a nice thing to try.........
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 30 November 2005 05:50:05(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Glad we had it sorted out. If your needs are, that one man with two master mobstats controls 20 trains, it can be done by switching between the two mobstats on the output line, but this way only one mobstat can be used at a time. Trains running will keep running, even if you switch to another mobstat. Seeing my power measurements, I think it will be irrelevant without a booster.
I may now have confused a lot of people! confused

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#16 Posted : 30 November 2005 09:26:35(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Thanks very much for your investigations. To me it appears that I was guessing in the right direction. The master knows it's a master due to how it is connected. A slave connects to the master trough the bus, and must be acknowledged. The MobStat as master acknowledges only one master, not because of limits in the bus probably, but because of it's software. Märklin wants to sell CS, therefore a MobStat can master only one slave.

/Lars
Offline john black  
#17 Posted : 30 November 2005 11:00:08(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />but because of it's software. Märklin wants to sell CS, therefore a MobStat can master only one slave

Could a Digital Guru modify [}:)] the MS software - thus more slaves were possible ?
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Purellum  
#18 Posted : 30 November 2005 20:07:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Or, new question, if a 6604 delta can be used as a booster, can a 6607 be used as booster? Can you connect 4 mobstats, each with a slave? I haven't got any delta controllers, only know them from the catalouge, but I think the idea has to be investigated. confused

Thank you.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#19 Posted : 30 November 2005 21:34:29(UTC)
john black

United States   
Just like your signature [:p], Per
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide