Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Noel Loganathan  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2003 23:56:47(UTC)
Noel Loganathan

Hi all

'Mum' informs that a 'new' starter set will be on the way. However, this will be a single digital installed loco, a class 18 as I understand.

At this stage this ss will come with transformer/controller and tracks.

Time will tell

Cheers for now
Noel

Noel
Offline Charlie  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2003 03:11:43(UTC)
Charlie

Hi Noel,

An express train steam locomotive Class 18.4 with tender, and 3 passenger cars of the German Railroad (DB), complete with oval of track, one turnout, a 6021 controller, and a new type transformer, a lighter duty one than the 6001/6002 I presume.

Charlie
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2003 11:25:43(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Offline Transfesa  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2003 12:02:18(UTC)
Transfesa

Hi all,

It looks like since some years ago, Märklin is trying to "get rid of" their BR 18.4 locomotives, and that's a bit suspicious wink

I have heard from several cases of electronic problems with the BR 18.4 that comes in the startset nr. 29855 that causes the smoke generator not to work properly, and sometimes also happened with the sound. I don't want to question the quality of the product, but if there were some problem with a whole series of locos, I don't think the smartest solution is to sell them as "bargains" [:o]

I hope this is not the case, and will be willing to hear from opinions about that.
Julio Castillo
Madrid, Spain
Offline alonso231gery  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2003 12:05:56(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
nyone knows the price of that set?
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline Transfesa  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2003 13:11:47(UTC)
Transfesa

Hi Alonso,

I've visited some web shops, and it costs about 275-300€ Cool

According to the description, for that price you get a small C-track oval with an electrified switch and a buffer, a digital steam locomotive with sounds, three old-fashioned coaches (2 first class & 1 restaurant car) and a Central Unit with special transformer.

Considering that the official recommended price for the 6021 central unit is exactly 299,50€... judge yourself [}:)]
Julio Castillo
Madrid, Spain
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2003 15:20:02(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

It's not the 18.4 they want to get rid of, it's the 6021...
IMHO
Lars

P.S.
It might also be that they just want some new customers. I guess it's the best starter set I've seen so far. But they should have include Uhlenbrock Daisy instead of the 6021 :-)
L.W:
Offline Charlie  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2003 21:40:37(UTC)
Charlie

Mmmm... Besides the discussion on what they would like to get rid off, I think it is an attempt to position themselves a little better in the starter set market. After all, unlike DC users, it is tough to have somebody switch to Marklin after they purchase their first starter set. And some people may get persuaded into buying a Fleischmann or Roco Digital starter set, because they offer "true" digital in sets around 200 or 300 Euro, whereas Marklin only has "true" digital sets in the higher price ranges.

Just speculating of course. It looks like a nice set, IMHO.
Offline tayloma  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2003 10:16:18(UTC)
tayloma

South Africa   
Hi all

I agree with Lars about the 6021....I've heard that Marklin are busy redesigning their digital controllers.

Regards

Mark
Offline Thanos  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2003 14:36:48(UTC)
Thanos

For the price of a digital locomotive or a 6021 you get both, plus a transformer (which is always needed on digital layouts) and some tracks! It's a bargain...
Thanos

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2003 15:50:22(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Well,
it's worth it's price but no, not a bargain IMHO. You get an obsolete controller, you have to add a keyboard or more, and you can't use the cheaper and sometimes better DCC-decoders. Rumour says that Märklin will release a new controller which allows for DCC and Selectrix as well (like the IB); perhaps just a rumour as it has proven up to now; but if... Both the IB and Daisy may be upgraded...

/Lars
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 25 November 2003 05:16:29(UTC)
jeehring

I agree with Lars and Tayloma .....Marklin are busy redesining their digital controlers....it is not a rumour it is quite sure ..... About the controller itself , secret is still well kept....Only prognostications . Some say : "multiprotocol" , others say " only motorola "..." simple evolution " or " revolution " ?....
You can always be searching the best system in the world...In such a case you better have the Zimo system , very nice , very sophisticated ,very complicated , very expensive , very.....all you want .
But for someone who does not know digital stuff , 6021 controller is a good way for starting .More particularly at this price ! Just add the keyboard on special offer : one keyboard + 2 switch motors + 2 C-track decoders for 149 EUR !!
I find this starset a good deal for someone who wants to discover "digital" while running analog or delta ....
A new digital controller in the year 2004 or 2005 means it will be oppotunity for many of us to move on to digital at good price with the present system . And with Marklin , don't worry about compatibility , your 6021 might be connected as a booster or secondary control station .....
About dcc decoders I'm not sure they are better than current motorola decoders .Theoretically more sophisticated , I agree . In fact and on my " everyday layout " , I'm not certain . It's hard to make simple......
bye bye
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#13 Posted : 25 November 2003 09:09:44(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I sais "sometimes better DCC-decoders". For me the best thing is to have the choice; what decoders are best have varied over the years and depends on the purpose. I've had very good use of DCC decoders when retrofitting odd motor locos, with somewhat unknown characteristics. Then it's very good with a programmable decoder. And I have one Märklin 34121, with a very little space where a Märklindecoder didn't fit. Light effects light blink and dim are missing in Märklin. ESU sound decoders are much easier to program in DCC even if you want to run them in Motorola.

But with a standard DCM motor I use a 60901, even if it's expensive.

/Lars
Offline xxup  
#14 Posted : 25 November 2003 10:10:22(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I can't see Marklin adopting a new digital standard that was radically different from that used in the current products.. Failure to provide backward compatibility with older digital loks etc would be disasterous for Marklin.

A more likely scenario is that Marklin ships a "limited" IB ot Daisy set...

Adrian
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#15 Posted : 25 November 2003 12:22:49(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
They already changed the standard once, from "Old M/M" to "New M/M" with added functions F1-F4 and a few other improvements. The old decoders are still fully functional with new digital equipment, and the new decoders understand the old protocol. So if we look back in time and try to see the future I think Märklin will be improving the system further while keeping backwards compatibility.

Support for DCC decoders may be a dangerous strategic move, though. Märklin wants to keep it's customers within the brand. I think it's more likely that we will see a new central unit with a few extra buttons for accessories and maybe a built-in computer interface. If anything is going to change in the digital system setup it would be perhaps support for 256 loco adresses and 8 functions. Programming the decoders from the central unit would also be a step forward...

But the big question is what the price would be for a gem like this. If the interface and keyboard are integrated, this means many customers won't buy these. So the prophit will have to be taken from the central unit and possibly extra units like memory... On the same time the price can't be too much higher than the IB. In that case the choice will be easy for most customers.

I guess a price ~500€ would be expected for a central unit with computer interface and a few extra buttons (Maybe for the first 4 or 8 accessories).
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Charlie  
#16 Posted : 27 November 2003 08:56:24(UTC)
Charlie

Yup, I see buttons F5 through F8 added in my crystal ball... and a re-release of the Big Boy, different road number, and use of all added functions.

Charlie (busy frying a Turkey)
Offline McLae  
#17 Posted : 28 November 2003 06:20:07(UTC)
McLae

I would not be supprised to see an update to the NEM standard socket, from 8 pin to 12. (backward compatible to the current socket.)

It will be interesting how many common features the new controler has with the IB. biggrin

McLae (Busy digesting turkey)
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline MEng  
#18 Posted : 02 December 2003 09:43:55(UTC)
MEng

so any idea when this new digital controler is comin on out?!? sounds extremely expensive....must upgrade then in a couple years haha
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#19 Posted : 02 December 2003 13:06:56(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

February 2004, at the Nürnberg fair will see the announcements, I guess. With the signals one had to wait 10 months for delivery; planned was 4 months or something. In this case it would be bad for the business to wait for so long IMHO, as probably noone would buy the 6021 when the new announcement is done... Just speculations from my side, based upon rumours.

BTW, I got a new idea about what it could look like. It would be wise to allow download of new software like the IB does, or at least, at a "authorized service place". That would also allow for different software versions depending on what you pay for it, and wether you use it with Trix (Selectrix+DCC) or Märklin. It's not necessarily so that several protocols as the rumour says, means multirprotocol mixed at a time as Uhlenbrock does...

/Lars
Offline jeehring  
#20 Posted : 03 December 2003 04:01:37(UTC)
jeehring

yes , first announcements at the Nuremberg fair does not mean it will be rapidly available...I agree .
Hey Lars , I had same idea me too ! something to be downloaded on the web or at authorized service place.... I also dream of a separate screen monitor - same screen as portable computers - and new digital keyboards to be connected each other , depending on the degree of comfort you need....( but it is only dream , not serious informations ).
Sure the change will concern the actual 6021 and keyboard , as we can see special offers on it ...
beside this new starset with BR 18 at a special price , there are others packs proposed by Marklin at unbelelievable price . All this packs with separate boxes and all including a 6021 , transformer and same small track with one switch .
A SWISS RE 460 "CHEMOIL"+ three Swiss coaches
A Swiss RE 460 " CHEMOIL" + three goods cars
A red color BR 101 + three double deck coaches
A Bavarian EG 2X2 + 5 small cars
A delta BR 75+5small cars

Each " pack" between 290 E and 340 E depending on the dealer....And "surprisingly " not available before....february !
For dealers it will be surely to make the junction between Nuremberg and new start sets delivery.......
For many people it will be opportunity to discover "digital" for almost nothing...
bye
bye bye
Offline Charlie  
#21 Posted : 03 December 2003 06:03:59(UTC)
Charlie

The references to the turkey (big and dry version of a chicken Smile) that I fried above, and Mclae ate, had to do with Thanksgiving, a US holiday where most folks prepare a family meal with Turkey.