Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Webmaster  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2004 22:33:42(UTC)
Webmaster

With the announcement of the Märklin/systems (the new digital system), it is also clear that a range of new digital starter sets will be available very soon.

To see the sets:
http://www.ajckids.com/t....ASP?yr=04&group=all
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Noel Loganathan  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2004 01:04:24(UTC)
Noel Loganathan

Interesting - from the images the transformer and controller look like the newer (later) Minitrix starter sets. The transfomer looks like the 'plug-in' type - direct to the mains and the adaptor from here is connected to the back of the controller.

So 6002/6003 could be a thing of the past, well historically useful I think.

Cheers from a cloudy and usually muggy Bris

Noel
Noel
Offline Frostie  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2004 01:19:32(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Very interesting - it looks like a great new system !! I wanted to see something in a hand controller, and this looks very user friendly with the icons for the functions. Is there any way to buy stock in M* ?? This should be a very good year for M*. Unfortunately I just threw away my ideas of a M* budget for 2004 !!
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline Noel Loganathan  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2004 01:33:55(UTC)
Noel Loganathan

Noel
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2004 01:42:20(UTC)
Webmaster

Yes, our member pcederstrand post this link to his site in the "New digital system?" topic more than 12 hours ago...wink

Märklin is a "family company", not noted on the German stock market...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Charlie  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2004 04:16:56(UTC)
Charlie

Hi Noel,

I believe the "cheaper" starter sets will be delivered with the smaller plug in type transformer. It saves them in cost, but that "powerhouse" is only good for 18VA. So please hold on to your 6001 or 6002 transformers!

The bigger sets come with a 60VA transformer, similar to the 6001 and 6002.

The touchscreen Central Station will not be delivered till the end of 2004, but it allows your 6021 to be hooked up, so you can still use it as an extra controller!

Cheers,

Charlie
Offline Thanos  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2004 09:54:52(UTC)
Thanos

The best way to get into the new digital system will be by buying a new digital starter set. I particularly like the 29794 (I don't have an ICE) and the 29820. Still I cannot understand the use of the 24088 adaptor(??!!) c track. It must be equal to 24188 in length.
Thanos

Offline Charlie  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2004 16:06:56(UTC)
Charlie

Thanos,

I assume they are switching to a loconet type system, and maybe the adapter track allows for several handcontroller hook-ups?

What??? No ICE on your layout?!?! Let me talk to your wife. She should quit the little vacations to see doll museums, so you can spend some more money on your hobby! [}:)] wink

Charlie
Offline chris.busby  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2004 20:27:44(UTC)
chris.busby

More to the point it looks ugly. I hope there is an underfloor version for permanent layouts, or it can be detached from the track and mounted somewhere else. I wouldn't want those grey lumps all over my layout!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Thanos
<br />The best way to get into the new digital system will be by buying a new digital starter set. I particularly like the 29794 (I don't have an ICE) and the 29820. Still I cannot understand the use of the 24088 adaptor(??!!) c track. It must be equal to 24188 in length.
Chris Busby
UK Marklin Digital layout builder and collector.
Offline mikecee  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2004 00:45:21(UTC)
mikecee

I am not clear as to whether this means that M will continue to use the Motorola protocol, or whether we will eventually have to reequip our locomotives with new decoders. Hopefully they have not totally abandonned the Motorola system, as I was just getting used to it.

Mike Cherna
Montreal
Offline dikken  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2004 00:51:13(UTC)
dikken

My guess is that :
a. The transformer is hooked up to the Mains.
b. The mobile controle hooked up with the rails ,
c. The transformed is also hooked up to the rails.

This means that this ugly box has two sockets. one for the transformer ( 2 leads) and one for the mobile controller (10 leads).

But what about K-track thenconfusedconfusedconfused

They supply a special made connection rail of which the pictures release are also not quit clear.

my only concern is, What will they produce to satisfy older layouts? It can't be so, that we'll have to breakout a part of the layout in order to incorporate an new adapter piece?

Dikken

Check out my site:
http://www.modelspoorhobby.be
Offline Webmaster  
#12 Posted : 20 January 2004 01:00:21(UTC)
Webmaster

Mike, welcome to our forum..

Older (ok, the current ones...) equipment will still be usable when that new Central Station arrives by the end of the year.

As I understand, the new starter sets are the death of the separate Delta system and instead we are seeing *one* system for the future... Dealers have had bargain prices on Delta starter sets for a few weeks now...

Dikken, as I understand the "ugly box" can take 2 Mobile Controls + the transformer voltage to supply them. I am only guessing here.

Since they have also introduced new starter sets with K-track, there must be a box for non-C track too. This connection box should be usable with M track too...
Offline perz  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2004 01:25:05(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
There might be 10 wires from the Mobile Control to the Ugly Box, but there are still only two poles on the track, outer rails and center rail.

I guess this thing is just a wire connection piece. I do not think it contains any advanced functionality, even though Märklin say it is "the second most important thing".

The transformer could hardly go directly out on the track. OK, it is possible to design an entirely new system that has AC supply on the rail and high frequency signals superimposed on that, where the Ugly Box could be some kind of filter. But that would mean bye, bye compatibility with older locos. However the Märklin material indicates that old locos can still be used.

Offline Webmaster  
#14 Posted : 20 January 2004 01:30:15(UTC)
Webmaster

I think a power supply connection is just there to supply the Mobile Station(s?), with no AC connection to the tracks. It would be rather stupid to have 2 cables to the Mobile Station instead of only one connected to the "rail box"...
Offline perz  
#15 Posted : 20 January 2004 01:43:10(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:t would be rather stupid to have 2 cables to the Mobile
Station instead of only one connected to the "rail box"...

Yes, you do not want a power cable hanging from your Mobile station. The Ugly Box is a simple solution for the carpet layout. Ease of use rather than beauty. Worst case we have to buy one and hide it somewhere underneath our layout. There should be no reason to tear up any tracks.
Offline MAV  
#16 Posted : 20 January 2004 08:29:13(UTC)
MAV

There is more information and pictures on http://www.zuegeundmehr.de
also the new central unit!

Regards mav
Offline dikken  
#17 Posted : 20 January 2004 10:09:35(UTC)
dikken

Looks great!biggrin

I Suppose you can use the turn knob to scroll through the logged in loco's ( central station and mobile station)
biggrin
[8)]
Dikken

Check out my site:
http://www.modelspoorhobby.be
Offline Thanos  
#18 Posted : 20 January 2004 10:58:39(UTC)
Thanos

Hi Charlie, all:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:She should quit the little vacations to see doll museums, so you can spend some more money on your hobby!

Yeah! Sure! wink

MAV's link shows two different devices! I think that 2004 will be an interesting year for all Marklinists!biggrin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:There should be no reason to tear up any tracks.

I hope we won't have to tear any tracks! Plug n' play please!biggrin
Thanos

Offline Zack  
#19 Posted : 29 January 2004 03:00:59(UTC)
Zack

I was checking the 29850 mega starter set for its "mehreren Soundfunktionen" and found the following:

Ø Ae 6/6 mit E-Lokgeräusch, Druckluftpfeife, ABV, Pressluft, Bremsenquietschen, Beleuchtung

Ø Serie 460 mit E-Lokgeräusch, Horn, „Anfahrorgeln“, ABV, Fernlicht, Beleuchtung

I understand everything except „Anfahrorgeln“. As my German is poor, could someone please explain it to me. Thanks.
Offline Thomas Wieser  
#20 Posted : 29 January 2004 12:47:26(UTC)
Thomas Wieser

Hi!
Anfahrorgeln is the description of the high pitched sound the modern locos with synchron motors and chopper electronics make when they are accelerating. This is not only typical for the Swiss BR 460, the Austrian 1016/1116 Taurus class locos have a similar sound, too. Some german railfans call the DB class 101 "Sängerin" because of the sound these locos produce. On a railway station I can close my eyes and tell wether a Taurus is starting or a 1044 class thyristor loco (very nice sound, too).

Hope Märklin will sell sound decoders as add-on to our 60901 or 60904 equipped locos.
Thomas