Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 7gauges  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2006 01:25:06(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
I received my Looney Tunes loco today - nicely done - but manufactured in Hungary - I was a little surprised! I know the Bulk of Gauge 1 and also C track are of Hungarian origin.

Does this mean that all less expensive Marklin HO locos in the Taurus/Hercules series come out of Hungary?

I imagine the Superman series is also non-german then

.....I also received my Insider VT 08.5's today - the HO version is of German manufacture - the Z-scale version (and extra car) are Chinese made - very interesting - so Marklin vacated several hundred jobs in Germany - to move manufacturing to the former eastern block and China. Gives one pause to consider .....

Does this mean the Marklin production in Hungary and China are under contract or are they Marklin owned and operated factories?

... and can someone explain to me why the EU does not require country of origin marking (especially if it is outside the EU)- but the USA and Canada do - seems to be some sleight of hand by the EU ..... I knew you couldn't trust the EU Bureaucracy - the "Made in ...." labels on the boxes are simple sticky labels attached on import to North America, it seems.

At least my 2006 Volvo V70R is still Swedish (with a a lot of German parts) - and my Leica is still German.
Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline JeffVT  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2006 01:33:59(UTC)
JeffVT

Most of the US HO-gaguge freight cars offered in recent years are of Chinese origin. It's the same type of disclosure that you describe, with a sticker attached to the box. The cars themselves bear no marking of origin, unlike my older rolling stock marked "Western Germany" and later, "Germany".
I am no expert about EU regulations, but perhaps anything that originates within the EU does not require disclosure of the country of origin. I can understand the logic, which is similar to avoiding a "Made in Ontario" or "Made in New Jersey" label as the Europeans move toward greater integration of their economies. But that does not explain why the Chinese product gets the sticker treatment. Maybe Marklin is saving money on printing boxes for each country.
Jeff
Offline Hoffmann  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2006 04:14:30(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello 7Gauges,

Most Start-sets,Locomotives (value priced),Track and Cars are made in Hungary at a Marklin Factory.
Switchboxes,decoders,turnout solonoids the 6021 and most electronics are made in China by a third Party.
The Central Station is now made in the Tchech Republic.
The high priced Locomotives are still made in Germany as well as many Trix Cars and Locomotives.
I do not care where it is made as long as the QUALITY stays the same.

Martin

P.S. Your Volvo is made by Ford and as you know Ford is in real difficulty.
marklin-eh
Offline stephenbb  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2006 05:35:12(UTC)
stephenbb

Whats made in Canada? Cars, trees, furniture, etc. does it really matter where its made as long as the standard of quality is the best. The real downside is loss of jobs, in those places that can't stay competative. Everything is being moved to lower cost countries. Soon all the foreign companies will be moving back to the places that buy their products. Look at the automotive industry more and more European and Asian companies are building factories in the USA. They are also producing better quality then the big three.
The bottom line is quality and giving the consumer what they want at a fair price.
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2006 12:45:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hoffmann
<br />
Hello 7Gauges,

The Central Station is now made in the Tchech Republic.

Tchech Republic? Where is it location?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Hemmerich  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2006 15:06:30(UTC)
Hemmerich

Hello "unknown" 7gauges,

Märklin's own production facilities are knowingly listed on their homepage under "Unternehmen" "and "Märklin worldwide". It was already stated at the intro time of the first TRAXX loco that all those lower cost locos will be manuactured in Györ (kind of compensation for the discontinuance of metal cars, metal tracks and metal building kits. According to latest interviews, Märklin management is quite satisfied with the quality delivered by their Hungarian factory.

Anything else what is stated here about China, Czech Rep., etc. is simple subcontracting or parts supply stuff like it's done today for most products, regardless of their brand name. Usually this relates to simple, easy to produce low cost items; i.e. quality risks tend to be lower.

It would be interesting to see some picture examples of "Made in PRC" labels on Märkln products; apparently they only seem to exist in countries outside the E.U. (maybe a number of them are even the well known "China style make" [}:)]).

There is yet a difference between U.S. and E.U. laws for the "Made in...". Whereas $1304 U.S.C.A. has a very strict specification on that, the corresponding E.U. law, although released in 2003, can still be applied discrete by European manufacturers today.

PS: If you spend just one second looking at the revenue and in particular profit numbers for the last years, you need not to think any further about the reasons of work force reduction in G.

Offline al_pignolo  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2006 16:22:08(UTC)
al_pignolo

I don't know if I go off-topic, but I've heard also that some Maeklin product are made by other manifacturers: for example, the Kof (#3680X) is produced by Brawa, the diesel "pendolino" by Fleischmann and so on... if this inormation is right.
Anyway, as some of you say what really matters is quality!!
Regards,
Pietro
Offline MärCo  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2006 16:25:38(UTC)
MärCo

The Hogwarts Castle and Thomas the Tank Engine by Hornby. The former engine shed and goods shed were Kibri products.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2006 17:34:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MärCo
<br />The Hogwarts Castle and Thomas the Tank Engine by Hornby. The former engine shed and goods shed were Kibri products.

Yes,thats correct,There is more to come soon.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Minibahn  
#10 Posted : 17 September 2006 18:01:43(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

the first Maerklin Koef was produced by Brawa but the actual model is a maerklin product produced in China.The turntable is a Fleischmann product, the pendolino is basically developped by Fleischmann but afaik the AC-Version is produced by Maerklin. The H0 and Gauge 1 Kits like water tower, engine shed, signal tower and all Primex kits are from Heljan in Denmark.

Maerklin sold products made by Bemo, Brawa, Brekina, Busch, Electrotren, Esu, Heico, Herpa, Hornby, Hübner, Norscot, Renner, Schuco, Trix, Viessmann, Wiking and others.
Regards Charles
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 17 September 2006 22:28:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Martin. I thought my Vovlo was made in Sweden at the Volvo factory. It maybe owned by Ford but I thought the workers and designers were Swedish. Ford parts may be used of course but I expect my Volvo to be of higher quality and safety.
Saab has the same with General Motors but are far ahead of Vauxhalls.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Piper  
#12 Posted : 17 September 2006 23:29:55(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Martin. I thought my Vovlo was made in Sweden at the Volvo factory. It maybe owned by Ford but I thought the workers and designers were Swedish. Ford parts may be used of course but I expect my Volvo to be of higher quality and safety.

David

David

Your righthand drive Mercedes C class, 3 Series BMW and VW Golf for the UK & Australia are made in South Africa. [^] The quality of the BMW are regarded as superiour to the German product. Most of the work force here speaks not German, but ZULU. So maybe that VOLVO and SAAB are not to bad either. biggrinbiggrin I just hope they don't produce the CS and other high class Märklin products here in old SA.

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline tayloma  
#13 Posted : 18 September 2006 00:14:27(UTC)
tayloma

South Africa   
Hmmm, I dunno Pieter, if you consider some of the technbology that is still coming out of the CSIR in Pretoria, I'd rather buy a CS that was made in SA than one that gets made in China...??? wink If we can build BMW's and Mercecdes' here why not Marklin, more affordable and same quality? biggrin
Regards

Mark
Offline Hemmerich  
#14 Posted : 18 September 2006 00:18:10(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Minibahn
... but the actual model is a maerklin product produced in China.

Apparently that there exists a "remake facility" in Hongkong. Cool
Offline Munich 1860  
#15 Posted : 18 September 2006 00:54:02(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
The thread is called Märklin manufacturing locations yet nobody has mentioned the Märklin plants in Sonneberg and in Nürnberg. OK, they aren't the biggest around, but they do exist.

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline Hemmerich  
#16 Posted : 18 September 2006 01:23:48(UTC)
Hemmerich

Hi Hans,

the manufacturing facility in Sonneberg is listed as well on the Märklin homepage at the link that I referred in my earlier posting.

The complete list can also be found here: http://www.maerklin.de/unternehmen/ueberuns/inzahl.php
Offline 7gauges  
#17 Posted : 18 September 2006 03:56:54(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
Interesting that they don't list China as a manufacturing location - are they trying to hide something?
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 18 September 2006 12:56:58(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
<br />Martin. I thought my Vovlo was made in Sweden at the Volvo factory. It maybe owned by Ford but I thought the workers and designers were Swedish. Ford parts may be used of course but I expect my Volvo to be of higher quality and safety.

My Volvo is made in the Netherlands, at the former DAF factory.
The car is the same as a Mitsubishi ("Lancer" I think?), except that my version costs 3000 euros more, and comes with less accessories. Oh well... ;-)

Quality is not very high, but design and engineering seems to be very good.
The motor (I understand that the 1.9l TDI comes from Renault?) is simply the BEST!

Maybe its not a "real" Volvo ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Hemmerich  
#19 Posted : 18 September 2006 13:22:21(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 7gauges
<br />Interesting that they don't list China as a manufacturing location - are they trying to hide something?

Why should they? I think the answers were already given in response to your first question: "Does this mean the Marklin production in Hungary and China are under contract or are they Marklin owned and operated factories?"

What are you after or still miss to understand? According to a recent model railroad press publication (IMHO MEB) the amount of Märklin "value generation" at their known published factories in relation to the total revenue is still extremely high. So, where's any/your issue?

Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 18 September 2006 15:37:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
As long as quality is good and all manufacture is inspected and checked by Marklin then where parts come from will probably be the cheapest country of production.
Here in the UK we hardly manufacture anything but I am happy with Television, Hi fi, cameras etc all of which work well no matter where they are made.
I have a high regard for items made in Germany and in the years to come China may well match for quality.

David

PS Henrik : Try a Volvo XC70 ...superb
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline 7gauges  
#21 Posted : 18 September 2006 16:13:23(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
The issue is that at least the Z gauge stuff isn't actually made by Marklin - but made under contract in China - in a factory that Marklin doesn't obviously operate. Yet they don't seem to want to come clean on this matter. If it's made by Fungxhi Heavy Industrial in Guangzhou (or wherever) then at least be honest with your customer - and don't hide the fact that it is not a traditional Marklin manufactured product.

Huebner clearly marks (and advertises) it's products as being designed in Germany and manufactured in either South Korea or China - and that has nothing to do with the fact that it is required to be marked as such on import to North America.

I think Marklin feels they may lose some of their traditional customers if they admitted not actually manufacturing key items themselves (in either Nuernberg or Goeppingen) - and just contracting out manufacturing.

.... and yes I am aware that some Brawa, Faller, Schuco etc etc aren't coming out of Germany - either - but at least the manufacturer admits to it. This is an issue of honesty ... there seems to be some confusion about it .....
Offline Hemmerich  
#22 Posted : 18 September 2006 16:28:41(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
I have a high regard for items made in Germany ...

Glad to hear, David! (especially with regards to reasons where and how this "Made in Germany" came about. Smile)

I also like a recent interview statement from Mr. Adams "quality will always be as good as it had been demanded". We all know here too that quality is never for free.

His other statement was directly about material sources (German text):

"Wir haben reagiert - der deutsche Standort ist zu teuer - indem wir eben - Sonneberg hatten Sie genannt - aber insbesondere eben in Ungarn ein sehr stabiles, großes Produktionswerk haben, das wir unter Kontrolle haben, das unser eigenes Werk ist - aber auch wir kommen natürlich um Zukauf aus Fernost nicht umher."

"Germany is too expensive - we have reacted as we have established in Sonneberg and Hungaria very stable, large production facilities - which we have well under control since they are our own factories; but even we have to purchase add-ons [obviously cheaper] from Far East."
Offline Minibahn  
#23 Posted : 18 September 2006 17:02:35(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

a "little" difference, Mr. Adams (up to now CEO of Maerklin) did not speak from add-on parts but from additional purchase in Far East.
Regards Charles
Offline Hemmerich  
#24 Posted : 18 September 2006 17:57:07(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
<br />Hello,

a "little" difference, Mr. Adams (up to now CEO of Maerklin) did not speak from add-on parts but from additional purchase in Far East.

The German term "Zukauf" in general means "purchase" and could be applied to any items (even Harry Potter crap and rice corns! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin). He unlikely meant "aqusition" of a Chinese toy company Cool and hence it confirms one important fact which was discussed/questioned here earlier - that they don't have an own production facility in China.

Purchase from suppliers is anyhow something most companies in this world do every day; nobody cares - and Märklin is no different.
Offline rugauger  
#25 Posted : 18 September 2006 18:51:53(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
...Purchase from suppliers is anyhow something most companies in this world do every day; nobody cares - and Märklin is no different.
And why should they be Smile
Richard
Offline verheyen  
#26 Posted : 18 September 2006 22:15:07(UTC)
verheyen

Because Märklin has to be made by frugal(unsymbadische)Swabians laboring over their forges casting metal and making gears by hand just as in grandfathers day.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rugauger
<br />And why should they be Smile
wink
Offline Hoffmann  
#27 Posted : 19 September 2006 03:37:26(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hello Peter,

I am sure you mean no disrespect for the Schwaben in your last post after all those frugal Schwoabs brought you those thought after Maerklin Trains from the 1940 to 1960.
Not to mention the Bosch Fuelinjection,ABS Brakes, Porsche Cars ( which seems to do very well being located in Stuttgart ). First Class Surgical Instruments and Automated Packaging Machinery. Liebherr Cranes which are used worldwide and the list goes on.
By the way most PATENTS registered in Germany do come from Baden-Wuerttemberg.
It is a pity that most Germans have forgoten how to support their own Industrie and Comerce.
We, this means me as well are allways looking for the best Price on any given Item and then we are surprised when Companies go and do the same.
" How many times have we are driven arround the City to find the cheapest Gas-Station ".

There is a schwaben saying:

As a young Man drives up a hill at his drivers test he applied the Hand brake and the Examiner asked him why he is doing this, the young Man replied "" Doa hoat my Grossfadder g'migt,my Fadder g'migt on doa mig i au "" Translation: on this hill my Grandfather put the brake on on his Cart and so did my Father and whats good enough for them is good enough for me.
Schwoabs are in general very stubborn which leads most people to think that they are out of touch with the real world, I for one think that a real Schwoab ( just a few of them left ) has still a lot to offer when it comes to making and developing good Products, be that Cars or Model-Trains
marklin-eh
Offline Minibahn  
#28 Posted : 19 September 2006 11:08:39(UTC)
Minibahn

Quote:
<br />Mr. Adams (up to now CEO of Maerklin)

Hello,

now it is officially, Mr. Adams is leaving Marklin.

http://de.biz.yahoo.com/1909200...maerklin-umsatzplus.html
Regards Charles
Offline Hemmerich  
#29 Posted : 19 September 2006 15:50:53(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hoffmann
By the way most PATENTS registered in Germany do come from Baden-Wuerttemberg.

No surprise either that most model railroad patents have been issued by a wellknown company in Göppingen. SmileSmileSmile

Offline 7gauges  
#30 Posted : 19 September 2006 19:34:31(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Maerklin had a finished product which was either produced in China or not, or parts for that were bought in China. But the product was assembled in Germany and thats the most important thing.

Firstly the word/idiom "Zukauf" translated into an english expression means "to purchase or supply (parts or components)".

Secondly - for a product to be labelled as made in China (or anywhere )and shipped to Canada or the US - implies the finished product was manufactured / or assembled in that country - in this case the finished Z scale VT is purely of chinese origin - and would have been shipped in the Marklin box right out of China. In this
case the product was never assembled in Germany.

... had the product been assembled in Germany (which would make absolutely no sense) with Foreign parts - it would still bear the label Made in EU or Germany (for that matter).

All I am saying is that Marklin admit that some series of their products are not manufactured in the EU / Germany - and are wholly finished in the far east - and not pass them off as Swabian precision craftsmanship - there is nothing wrong with the chinese maerklin stuff - seems reliable so far - but simply admit that they are likely coming out of the same plant in a totalitarian communist dictatorship that Hornby, Lilliput and Bachman are coming out of ..... Maybe Marklin should look at production centres in Cuba and North Korea s well - if China becomes to expensive ......
Offline Webmaster  
#31 Posted : 20 September 2006 03:22:18(UTC)
Webmaster

Some models are obviously made in China, as the newer Köf, the Goliath crane and maybe a few more... I would not be surprised if they are made by the same subcontractor as Bachmann/Liliput uses... I would not be surprised if many more complete models are made there, since it would be more expensive to make parts and ship them to Germany for assembly. Maybe some standard parts that are used in high volumes as eg wheels, couplers, brushes and such are also made there separately... Subcontractors for plastic/metal moldings, electronics assembly and so on can be found all over the world...

The Swedish IKEA is an example of how to make subcontracting standard constructions all over the world with some price pressure a big business, and their ingenious idea that the customers themselves do the most manual labour intensive and time consuming assembly, instead of paid workers, is what really keep their prices down... Which suddenly reminds me of the loco & wagon kits Märklin had in the 60:s....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#32 Posted : 20 September 2006 05:48:55(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi All,

Jeremy from Barbados here, the first, second, third and last most
electrically and mechanically challenged person in this forum. I
assure you I fill the middle positions as well!!

I joined this wonderful forum and have met some teriific folks, too
many to list here. UNFAILINGLY HELPFUL WITH KNOWLEDGE, ENCOURAGEMENT
and last but not least, taking the TIME and INTEREST to pass that
learning on. And of course Luis' reviews that make you buy more
trains.

Never in the time I have been a member have I come across remarks so
deliberately phrased as to cause vitriol and ill will. I accept that
there may be differences of opinion as to whether this model is more
true to the oriiginal than that one and so on. But personal attacks?
Posts that our esteemed webmaster has to delete??
Has someone or something entered our little group in the past few
weeks that I have missed? Please enlighten me.

Cheers !! from the islands,

jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline 7gauges  
#33 Posted : 20 September 2006 07:52:44(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:The Swedish IKEA is an example of how to make subcontracting standard constructions all over the world with some price pressure a big business, and their ingenious idea that the customers themselves do the most manual labour intensive and time consuming assembly, instead of paid workers, is what really keep their prices down... Which suddenly reminds me of the loco & wagon kits Märklin had in the 60:s....

The Ikea stuff is marked with country of origin / manufacture - and there is a fair trade disclosure in our local store with regard to not exploiting child or other labour (in 3rd & 2nd world countries as well) as well......

I did forget that the Goliath was chinese as well - I really like like it though, much more elegant and well built than my Roco Digi-Kran - Goliath is appropriately marked with country of origin - it was bought in N.America, afterall.

I quite like the old Marklin loco and wagon kits - if I only had the time to start assembling them - I've accumulated two of every HO kit Marklin made - I figure build one - leave the other unbuilt, purely for investment purposes.biggrin
Offline john black  
#34 Posted : 20 September 2006 14:40:53(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />Well, through the history of this forum only one member has been blocked ...
And it was that Nigerian mobile phone salesperson, who messed up ...

Nice comparison. Guess this was Webmaster's last warning [}:)]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#35 Posted : 20 September 2006 16:32:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I dont know whats going on here but it sure is not model rail.
I am happy to argue my point for Marklin products but I dont expect members to be called names (which I dont understand anyway)
I would delete this thread but then I dont have the patience of our Webmaster.

David
Offline soren36  
#36 Posted : 20 September 2006 16:36:42(UTC)
soren36

United States   
The Connecticut Yankee heartily seconds this motion, Nev. Enough of a bad thing!
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline john black  
#37 Posted : 20 September 2006 17:00:04(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Lets just close off this topic

Please no, my friend - this topic by Mister 7 is most interesting stuff Cool
But perhaps can Juhan erase all that junk - and let God sort 'em out [}:)][}:)][}:)]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Hemmerich  
#38 Posted : 20 September 2006 17:16:49(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
Please no, my friend - this topic by Mister 7 is most interesting stuff

Oh YES, John! There is surely nothing more interesting in the world than knowing which Märklin "bolts and screws" still smell like Chinese joss sticks. biggrin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: But perhaps can Juhan erase all that junk - and let God sort 'em out [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Indeed - and "junk" is just a very polite description!
Offline 7gauges  
#39 Posted : 20 September 2006 17:34:10(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
...Edited by Webmaster...

.... and don't misunderstand - the question of the origin of the products is important - because Marklin is sold and advertised as a premium German precision engineered and manufactured product - if some stuff is made elsewhere - under contract - then say so - but don't try to snow the customer by not marking things appropriately.

All I can say is that if the new Marklin administration decides to move more production from europe to the far east and charge the same premium price - I am finished with the product line - they will have lost one of their best customers - at least my wife and bank account will be happy with that ....
Offline john black  
#40 Posted : 20 September 2006 17:42:03(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />Interesting that they don't list China as a manufacturing location
- are they trying to hide something?

Yeah. Still worse - no country of origin on new locos, anymore. Can be anywhere ...

Offline Guus  
#41 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:12:46(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi all,

Made in Germany once was and most probably still is synonymous with high quality.
Made in Germany thereby also is/was a quality stamp widely misused by less scrupulous manufacturers.
This is in a nutshell how I interpret the tenor of this topic.

Isn't it the quality of the product we're all looking for?
I don't care where the product is made as long as the same high standards are maintained.
And if the product is manufactured in a low cost country then the customer must have the benefit of a lower price.

Call me naive but,Engineered in Germany and made in whatever country the German staff think is suitable,wouldn't worry me too much.
Just my two pennies worth of thoughts.

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Hemmerich  
#42 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:13:38(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
if some stuff is made elsewhere - under contract - then say so

Didn't Mr. Adams say just that?

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:All I can say is that if the new Marklin administration decides to move more production from europe to the far east and charge the same premium price...

What is/are your solution suggestions? (assuming that you are well aware that the labor cost in Germany does not allow neccessary profitability).
Offline alonso231gery  
#43 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:15:33(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
What about made in Switzerlandwink.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline Guus  
#44 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:26:08(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: What about made in Switzerland wink

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

As long as its made in Mörshwil and has a pickup shoe then it is most welcome on my tracks winkbiggrin

Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Hemmerich  
#45 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:46:17(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus

And if the product is manufactured in a low cost country then the customer must have the benefit of a lower price.

Which is likely the case since the price would be much higher if the product was still manufactured in a high cost country. Simple example - the TRAXX locos would be quite a bit more expensive if they were manufactured in Göppingen instead of Györ.

The box of the new beauty #39572 still indicates "Märklin, Stuttgarter Strasse 55-57, D-73033 Göppingen". On the rear side it commits: "Tradition","Qualität","Emotion","Innovation".

They look just great (both the box and the loco)!biggrin

UserPostedImage

Any issues with that? wink

Offline David Dewar  
#46 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:51:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
As long as I get good quality models etc where it is made does not bother me providing it is not from a country where they are trying to blow me up cos they dont like me.
If Marklin have to produce in China or elsewhere in order to keep the firm going and provide us with the quality we want then what is wrong with that.
What is worse is I have now got involved in a thread that I dont want to get involved in ...time for a beer and run some trains.
The beer seems to come from the USA and its good stuff.

David
Offline steventrain  
#47 Posted : 20 September 2006 18:56:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:

Which is likely the case since the price would be much higher if the product was still manufactured in a high cost country. Simple example - the TRAXX locos would be quite a bit more expensive if they were manufactured in Göppingen instead of Györ.

The box of the new beauty #39572 still indicates "Märklin, Stuttgarter Strasse 55-57, D-73033 Göppingen". On the rear side it commits: "Tradition","Qualität","Emotion","Innovation".

They look just great (both the box and the loco)!biggrin

UserPostedImage

I have 39572 as well,Same boxed too.There is also 37083,37031 same boxed as well.
Offline Guus  
#48 Posted : 20 September 2006 19:02:09(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by Lutz:

None at all Lutz,I'm still prepared to pay a premium if its of good quality and from the old trusted factory in Göppingen.
Just like I do for a BMW or is that a bad comparison for someone living in the neighbourhood of Stuttgart wink.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline john black  
#49 Posted : 20 September 2006 19:17:21(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />The beer seems to come from the USA and is good stuff

Thanks, David. And that's how friends shall be - you like our beer and we love your Scotch [:p]

Offline alonso231gery  
#50 Posted : 20 September 2006 19:23:27(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: What about made in Switzerland wink

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

As long as its made in Mörshwil and has a pickup shoe then it is most welcome on my tracks winkbiggrin

Guus

[^]wink
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!