Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeehring  
#51 Posted : 20 September 2006 20:23:34(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Martin. I thought my Vovlo was made in Sweden at the Volvo factory. It maybe owned by Ford but I thought the workers and designers were Swedish. Ford parts may be used of course but I expect my Volvo to be of higher quality and safety.
Saab has the same with General Motors but are far ahead of Vauxhalls.

David

I got some SAAB 900 in my life ( from mid 80's untill mid of 90's)....A real pleasure to drive those cars, specially for someone like me, covering an average of 70000 km a year at this time !
Do you know the engine block was originally a Triumph engine block reviewed by SAAB enginers !! ??. Keeping the Block made by Triumph they have designed a completely new " cylinder head" in aluminum.....
So the SAAB 900 was also a Triumph...
Also means that Triumph motors were not bad...because it gave one of the strongest "1999ccm3 engine" of this time( some versions with Turbo + 16 valves were able to endure a power of 200 Ch)

Offline Webmaster  
#52 Posted : 21 September 2006 01:17:41(UTC)
Webmaster

...Off topic post...

I have deleted some postings in this topic that were speculative, rude, and also unnecessary in parts regarding the topic. If you have any complaints, contact me offline via mail. Since every reply in the forum is also logged with with an IP-address it is sent from, it is quite easy to put an end to some speculations that were made...

However:
There are some horrible statements that are kept... [:0]

Like the taste of US beer... wink

And that oil-leaking contraption called a Triumph motor that was in the first SAAB 99... It was so bad so the SAAB Swedes had to make a new 2-litre motor to keep their quality reputation above the sea level...wink

Small Volvos are made in Belgium, big Volvos in Sweden... The Volvo motors are made in Sweden (except the Yamaha V8 in XC90 and the new S80), and some European Ford models are now using Volvo motors instead of scrappy Ford engines... wink

If there is more to discuss about the M manufacturing locations, maybe we can now continue to elaborate further on that topic...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline john black  
#53 Posted : 21 September 2006 01:29:53(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />However:

Like the taste of US beer ... wink

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#54 Posted : 21 September 2006 01:32:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Well done Juhan...management at its best...except of course for the USA beer. I find it very clean tasting and refreshing and just the thing when I move to Monument Valley. My Volvo is without doubt top class.

Seriously lets hope this is the end of this type name calling etc as I am sure you have better things to do than monitor this type of posting.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Hemmerich  
#55 Posted : 21 September 2006 02:06:06(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
Just like I do for a BMW or is that a bad comparison for someone living in the neighbourhood of Stuttgart wink.

Not at all! Have you ever heard about the famous company Baur? (just ask my wife biggrin). But that's another topic and NMR.wink

Yet - I do have very much sympathy with HAG and I'm also worried about their recent troubles; hopefully they will overcome the sitution and have again the needed success in customer demands as it seems to happen with Märklin too.

I have (quite) a number of ROCO products as well - no clue where they have been manufactured (Austria, Slovakia, China or even now Romania). As long as (also very often not lower than Märklin, GFN, etc.) prices and delivered quality meet my expectation it's fine with me; so no different at all. Unfortunately, as we all know they encountered severe quality issues in a number of areas in conjunction with the general market recession which finally resulted in the company's bancrupcy.

Although everyone has to make his/her own judgement on this, I personally don't think that the general opinion here and elsewhere with regards to "outsourcing" is very much apart.
Offline john black  
#56 Posted : 21 September 2006 02:11:59(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />Have you ever heard about the famous company Baur? (just ask my wife biggrin)

Beautiful convertibles - based on Bimmers [:p]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Guus  
#57 Posted : 21 September 2006 02:45:00(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Have you ever heard about the famous company Baur?

Yes I do.I've read Auto Motor und Sport for years.

Thanks Juhan,well done.

Now where's that sixpack of beers I brought from the US?wink

Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline alonso231gery  
#58 Posted : 21 September 2006 02:55:01(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Maybe our Webmaster can create a FIGHT topic,where we(the polite ones)can wiew such conflicts while drinking our favorite beverage.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline HueyCE  
#59 Posted : 21 September 2006 03:14:37(UTC)
HueyCE

Cheers to the Webmaster on his handling of the ugliness, even if some of you are drinking that watery stuff known as American beer.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline nevw  
#60 Posted : 21 September 2006 07:31:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />Cheers to the Webmaster on his handling of the ugliness, even if some of you are drinking that watery stuff known as American beer.
Ira

I dont drink it , I use it to water ther Roses [}:)][}:)]
Nev biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline viragoLDR  
#61 Posted : 21 September 2006 12:15:08(UTC)
viragoLDR

Good, because this was getting cheesier than a cheesy soap opera ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline john black  
#62 Posted : 21 September 2006 12:28:50(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />The Swedish IKEA is an example of how to make subcontracting standard constructions all over the world with some price pressure a big business, and their ingenious idea that the customers themselves do the most manual labour intensive and time consuming assembly, instead of paid workers, is what really keep their prices down ...
Which suddenly reminds me of the loco & wagon kits Märklin had in the 60:s ...

Nice to see you all have big fun with our beer ... [xx(]wink
Well, Juhan is right, again. BTW, IKEA treats his customers the way it should be and marks every single item with the country of origin ... Cool

And why M doesn't really offer those nice kits, again ??? At times when money became scarce <u>lots</u> of us would buy them and enjoy assembling and fitting - instead of refusing another ready-to-run loco ... Smile
Since this aims at a completely different group of customers M would even sell more stuff. Sigh, they won't release such kits, anymore. Perhaps such interferes with modern production philosophies ? [:I]

Offline xxup  
#63 Posted : 21 September 2006 12:44:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Juhan.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Rowan  
#64 Posted : 21 September 2006 22:16:11(UTC)
Rowan

Thanks Juhan.
Offline Webmaster  
#65 Posted : 22 September 2006 02:43:33(UTC)
Webmaster

Quote:
...except of course for the USA beer. I find it very clean tasting and refreshing

I agree, I also find bubbly water very clean tasting and refreshing... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Oopps... Maybe I should ban myself now... Cool

Seems like we don't have much to discuss about the M manufacturing locations any more, does it? wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline nevw  
#66 Posted : 22 September 2006 13:52:20(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
...except of course for the USA beer. I find it very clean tasting and refreshing

I agree, I also find bubbly water very clean tasting and refreshing... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Oopps... Maybe I should ban myself now... Cool

Seems like we don't have much to discuss about the M manufacturing locations any more, does it? wink

The Topic is Dead, Long Live the Topic [}:)]winkbiggrinbiggrin
Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline David Dewar  
#67 Posted : 22 September 2006 15:58:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
dont drink it , I use it to water ther Roses
Nev

Do you drink it first before watering the roses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

OK I know its off topic but at least we are back to having some fun.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Guus  
#68 Posted : 22 September 2006 16:46:08(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline jeehring  
#69 Posted : 22 September 2006 19:48:12(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />...Off topic post...

I have deleted some postings in this topic that were speculative, rude, and also unnecessary in parts regarding the topic. If you have any complaints, contact me offline via mail. Since every reply in the forum is also logged with with an IP-address it is sent from, it is quite easy to put an end to some speculations that were made...

However:

Like the taste of US beer... wink

And that oil-leaking contraption called a Triumph motor that was in the first SAAB 99... It was so bad so the SAAB Swedes had to make a new 2-litre motor to keep their quality reputation above the sea level...wink

All right

The engine I got on SAAB 900 were so good.

It has been said that SAAB re-design a new engine just keeping the "cylinder block" . The fact is that it was a cast iron " "cylinder block" with aluminum "cylinder head"...

But I trust our Swedish webmaster!

Offline steventrain  
#70 Posted : 22 September 2006 21:00:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
biggrin
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nevw  
#71 Posted : 23 September 2006 02:47:58(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />dont drink it , I use it to water ther Roses
Nev

Do you drink it first before watering the roses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

OK I know its off topic but at least we are back to having some fun.

SOmetimes David, the ammonia is good for roses in Moderation [}:)]wink Just like Dewars, [:p]. But that definately has to taken internally before watering the roses. [}:)][}:)]

Nev
Offline David Dewar  
#72 Posted : 23 September 2006 12:11:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin