Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timaximus  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2006 19:49:41(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello All,

Who can help me with placing and choosing the correct signals?

<s>I just make a first setup, but I'm not sure if this setup is correct?</s>
The image is already updated to the final situation.

UserPostedImage
All the signals are classic arm signals.

Any advise/comment is welcome.

Timaximus
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2006 20:27:34(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Well...

it depends on how many signals you want to put out there...

I would like to have a blocksignal (H-type), in the right end of the station on the right track, just after the last turnout (same goes for the right track to the left of the station). Also, if you want to be able to do some switching I'd put an A-signal in the opposite direction just before the turnout (with some space between it and the H-signal, allowing an engine to fit in between).

That type of signal could also be useful on the left track...

Basically a signal is needed where you must change direction of the engine enabling it to reach any track you want to be able to reach... And there must be space enough to fit the engine (with cars) before the next signal so you don't run into another block-section.

The H-signal located at the exit(s) of the turntable is not neccessary, as no train (normally) would depart there.

Lots could be written about signals, normally one puts out to few as they are quite expensive... :-(

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Timaximus  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2006 21:00:08(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Fredrik,

Thanks for the response.

I forget to tell you that the two tracks between the switches are drive through and shunting tracks to the two goods depot tracks.
No station for passenger trains.

I know this is a difficult question to explain in words.
Is it possible that you draw your comments inside the image? [:I]

Thanks in advance.

Timaximus
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline Munich 1860  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2006 22:31:05(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
I am very sorry Timaximus and in no way do I intend to insult you but most signals depicted here have been chosen wrongly .....

To start with the good news: the A's are positioned properly !!!! Therefore NO extra signals in the shunting tracks on top. A's are sufficient there.

I will continue in a couple of minutes, if you want.

Regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline Munich 1860  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2006 22:40:09(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
The U signal in the top left corner is wrong, for there is no possible change of direction, therefore it must be a H signal. The second -blue- U signal MIGHT be right, depending on which catalog numbers are meant by U and I.

By the way U and I have nothing to do with drive in and drive out signals, but just whether there is a possible change of direction afterwards.

Regards,

Hans
Offline Munich 1860  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2006 22:47:11(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
The 'I' signals must be checked according to what I said in my last post, they might be right, they might be wrong depending on which catalog numbers they give. The 'I-V' combination WITHIN the inner frame should go. Surely it would look funny to have TWO 'I-V' combinations within three pieces of track, considering that in relity these signals are 1000 meters apart ....

The first combination, slightly outside the frame, is sufficient. An extra V signal then should be used on the far right corner together with the H signal there !!!

Regards,

Hans
Offline Timaximus  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2006 22:47:18(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Hans,

I'm sooo wrong, damned, I quit.

Not likely biggrin

No problem at all friend!
I'm happy that you will explain me how I do it right. Smile

Regards,

Timaximus
Offline Timaximus  
#8 Posted : 22 July 2006 22:52:23(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
I try a new setup following your advice!
Did I understand it correctly? [:I]

Forgetting the Drive IN and Drive OUT theory.
Now I see this signals for STOP or DRIVE SLOWLY over the switches, is that correct?

I have 3 I signals and 2 U signals from Viessmann in stock.
They can all show the same drive slowly image (two arms angled).

Track change: the switch to the goods tracks is changed into a bent switch directly after the switch before.

picture

Timaximus
Offline Munich 1860  
#9 Posted : 22 July 2006 23:02:23(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
No problem , I will return tomorrow if you allow, my son is due for bed now !!!!

Many regards,

Hans
Offline Timaximus  
#10 Posted : 22 July 2006 23:18:37(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hans,

Of course!
See you tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2006 02:04:20(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hello again,

for the drive-through-tracks, it's still a station be it for passengers or not. This means an entry-signal (Einfahrsignal) is required (in each direction). If it's possible (allowed) for the train to enter the other track this signal must be able to show slow (Hp2) else a signal showing stop/go is sufficient (or the allowed speed is below or equal to 60 km/h, isn't that correct for Germany? In Sweden it's 80).

Thereafter the exit-signal (Ausfahrsignal) is correctly placed. Should be able to display the same different aspects as the entry(home?)-signal. I.e. "slow" if it's allowed to run a train over to the left track - else only go/stop is required.

Then you need a blocksignal for the first block after the station, in your drawing this signal appears pretty far away, so as I see it one is missing. If you go to the next H-signal, then return on the opposite track, you have a whole block extra there - I'd like that one to be on the right track also.

All this is valid for both directions.

Then - and now comes the even more tricky part - the switching movements. Here you will need a signal (the A-type) just like Hans said, wherever you want to switch direction AND protectiong your switches...

This is from the upper-right exit from the turntable just before the turnout protecting the entry onto the main-line. Then to be able to reach your freight-depot you'll need another one once you crossed the first track and entered the second, which protects the turnout in the opposite direction. Then you don't really need anymore before entering the freight-depot, the A:s being already there are correct.
You could put another A just before the turnot into the goods depot, and then another just before the turnout in the opposite direction (the one you just came from). Also if you want to be able to switch direction on the first track, you'll need an A-signal there also. In both cases you must provide enough space between the A-signal end the entry-signal/block-signal as is needed for whatever engine you want to move there.

The same approach is needed in the upper left exit of the turntable... The A-signals you put there is correct, but i can see no need for the H-signal there (unless the 3 tracks are such that trains start from there...).

On the freight-depot the H-signals is correct (both showing stop/slow), assuming trains start from there - BUT... if I may believe you run right-hand traffic on your layout, your trains leaving the freight-depot won't be able to reach the right track, therefore those H-signals may be obsolete, or you must add a crossover to the right track... Smile

If you allow traffic in both direction though, then it's correct again. And as I you use the semaphor signals I guess it's not correct to put out signals for both directions on both tracks, that only occurs on newer lines (with light-signals) a.f.a.i.k.

Wow... that was a whole lot - but really it depends on how realistic you want it to be... and how you intend to use this station.

Sorry I can't display how I mean on your drawing, at least not for now...

See ya' later...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
Offline Timaximus  
#12 Posted : 23 July 2006 02:32:16(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Fredrik,

Thanks for the explanation so far!

I will try to translate both your answer and the answers from Hans together to a serious signal plan.
I go, as much as possible, for the realistic on this signal point.

I will go sleep now and probable dream about those signals.
See (read) you both tomorrow.

Regards,

Timaximus
Offline HueyCE  
#13 Posted : 23 July 2006 03:12:56(UTC)
HueyCE

A very good topic, I am following it closely so that I can learn as well.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline viragoLDR  
#14 Posted : 23 July 2006 05:13:03(UTC)
viragoLDR

Isn't there some online learning thing on the marklin site about signals? They're mostly about the light signals, but I'm sure the theory is very similar.
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline steventrain  
#15 Posted : 23 July 2006 10:41:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Timaximus
<br />

I will go sleep now and probable dream about those signals.

Regards,

Timaximus

Yeah,Good dream.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Timaximus  
#16 Posted : 23 July 2006 15:56:17(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
For me this is a real study right now! biggrin

I try to understand the signal images and when they are necessary.

We have the following signal images I believe:

Hp0 = STOP
Hp1 = GO
Hp2 = DRIVE SLOW
Vr0 = next signal RED (speed limit)
Vr1 = next signal GREEN
Vr2 = next signal YELLOW (speed limit)
Sh0 = track closed
Sh1 = track free

H = Hp0/Hp1
I = Hp0/Hp2
U = Hp0/Hp1/Hp2
V = Vr0/Vr1/Vr2
A = Sh0/Sh2

You say that the U signals at the turn table tracks are not needed.
But how does the loc drivers know when he can leave (start driving).
Are H signals an option in this case?

The trains can drive to/from the freight station from/to both tracks via shunting on the main track. When trains always leave the freight station with slow speeds i think the signals on the freight station should be I signals. I placed an A signal far enough to let trains shunt from the outher track to the freight station via the inner track (over the bridge).

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#17 Posted : 23 July 2006 20:39:00(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi again,

please take a look on the picture(s) below. an arrow ("&lt;" or "&gt;") indicates an A-signal, whereas a triangle is a main signal showing either 2 or 3 different signal aspects. They point in the direction of travel.

UserPostedImage

The entry signal from right need to be a Hp0/Hp1 showing only, as it's impossible to enter the left track. Unless it's allowed to run trains towards the turntable (but I guess that's a BW...?). From the left on the contrary, it's possible to enter also the opposite (left) track. Therefore this entry signal could be a Hp0/Hp1/Hp2 signal. Also you must then add an exit signal (see pic. below) at then other end of the left track which then should be a Hp0/Hp2 type (unless it's allowed to run on the "wrong" track, but I'm not sure if Hp1 is to be given in that case...).

You however should consider this construction, as it also includes a "pull-out-track" (Ausziehgleis), which enables you to switch your trains off the main-line (which normally ain't allowed (turntable-part omitted).

UserPostedImage

If any(every)thing is unclear... ask!! Smile

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#18 Posted : 23 July 2006 22:07:43(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Fredrik,

On the first place, thanks!

Unfortunately I have not the space to build image 2.
So it will stay with image 1.

Are the A signals at the turn table also necessary?
When the (yellow) A signals are not necessary I only need to buy a dozen of A signals from Viessmann biggrin.

I did not realised that the SHUNTING signals (A) are that important.

Regards,

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#19 Posted : 23 July 2006 22:28:47(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi,

about the yellow ones - don't really know. It depends on wheter the BW area is signal controlled or not. If it is, then they're neccessary - if it ain't then someone has to tell the engine driver when he is allowed to proceed (or he makes that decision by himself after bringing the TT in correct position).

As for all A:s - you have to turn them around... to the opposite direction.

For example: If I want to exit the TT upper left (single way out), I'll have to wait for the A-signal in front of the turnout and it must then face me. Then I cross the 1:st track (as I'm on my way to the freight yard), pass the turnout on track 2 passing that A-signal facing in the opposite direction of my travel. After passing it stop and turn direction, now waiting for the A-signal I just passed to show Sh1 - THEN I may enter the freight yard...

The shunting signals are VERY important!!! wink And also any A-signal which is to be passed by a route for trains (set by the main-signals) must be set to Sh1.

I'm still missing a blocksignal after the last turnout in both direction (on the respective right tracks).

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#20 Posted : 23 July 2006 22:44:41(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
I'm still missing a blocksignal after the last turnout in both direction (on the respective right tracks).

??? Sorry, I do not see it. [:I]

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#21 Posted : 23 July 2006 22:52:24(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
If we take the right entry of the station:

On the right track you have the entry-signal (Einfahrsignal). At the same place on the left track and in the opposite direction is the real exit from the station - which means you're really entering a block section - there I'd like to put a blocksignal (Hp0/Hp1).

Look at my pic #2, in the right part there is a signal named GMP just below signal N (which is the entry signal). Or am I thinking too modern now...??? wink

Then the same at the left side of the station.

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#22 Posted : 23 July 2006 22:58:07(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Yes - almost... Smile but now the H signals are on the wrong tracks - could be there too though if you allow for both directions on both tracks... Smile

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#23 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:01:03(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Sorry!

I'm soooo dumb in this signal matter biggrin.
Moment please.
Offline Fredrik  
#24 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:01:42(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
This is because (still I might be thinking too modern):

&gt;BS = BlockSignal direction --&gt;
&gt;ES = EntrySignal direction --&gt;

A section of blocks:

&gt;BS--------&gt;BS--------&gt;BS---------&gt;ES

now if we have the station S before (containing all signal within the station we'll get:

S&gt;BS---------&gt;BS--------&gt;BS----------&gt;ES

Thus a blocksignal just at the exit of the station... Smile

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#25 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:02:45(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
No,

not dumb, you just don't do it (for real) every day... [:P]

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#26 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:03:50(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Now it's right!! Smile

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#27 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:13:28(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
No problem! Smile

I hopefully didn't tell too much wrong, as I'm better on the swedish signalsystem, but the german ain't far away from there...

Some more things, just missed it, sorry...

Where you have a U there should be a H. The I to the right (entry) should be an U, and the I to the left should be a H. Also when an A is located together with any main signal it should be located in front of the main signal.

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#28 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:20:49(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
And no - you can't use the track closed sign - because that indicates that the track must not be used. We do have a sign in sweden which indicates that from this point the last signal is not valid. So to proceed one must be careful, maybe get an allowance from somewhere...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#29 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:27:20(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Ok, i will make a new image.

You say "the I to the right"

Do you mean the most left I signal is an U signal and the most right I signal must be an H signal.

Or vice versa?

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#30 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:34:25(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
That's exactly what I mean!

Or... now I'm getting confused too many lefts and rights there...

To the left it should be a signal displaying Hp0/1, and to the right a signal displaying Hp0/1/2.

From the right:

Because it's possible to go from there to the left track (going through the turned position of the turnouts).

From the left:

Because it's NOT possible to enter the left track in this case, thus only straight forward travel is possible - only Hp0/1 needed.

If an engine is supposed to directly enter the turntable, you can't give it a train-route in there. He'll be issued an allowance to pass the entry-signal at Hp0, and from the next (A-)signal proceed as a switching movement. Thus a switching-route is assigned from there.

You must distinguish between 2 different types of routes:

1 - for trains, from 1 main-signal to another (including all switching signals it passes).

2 - for switching, from 1 A-signal to another (or an end of switching-route-sign if available in germany, don't know that) - not including main-signals passed.

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#31 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:40:16(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Ok,

You ment when turn to a side track (not station track) for example the turn table tracks, you leave the train routes and needs special separate clearance for this special LOC movement.

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#32 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:43:23(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Correct! Smile

And this special clearance is given by the A-signals. And it must not be a LOC only movement, it may off-course contain waggons as well. That is what is used when adding cars or engines to an existing train "switching" or "Rangierfahrt".

Fredrik.

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#33 Posted : 23 July 2006 23:48:12(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
And a side-track is normally not signal-controlled... Smile

There are basically 3 types of tracks:

1 - Tracks allowed for train-movements controlled by main-signals (and mostly also switching signals, those you call A)

2 - Track only controlled by those A-signals, a train can not run through these - unless it changes type of movement and is now a switching movement (or else it can't leave the train tracks).

3 - Side-tracks, only for switching and without dispatcher control...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#34 Posted : 24 July 2006 00:09:11(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Ok, I see a link here with the modern light signals.

The modern light signals also have white lamps which indicate that Shunting is allowed, even when the main light is on red.

The old arm signals don't have that combination, and need a separate Shunting signal before the main signal.

Am I correct?

If so I start to understand my wrong choose of signals.
I always thought that the I and U arm signals were enough for shunting too.

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#35 Posted : 24 July 2006 00:15:36(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Yes now you are correct!

The I and U signals display stop (Hp0) when shunting (even if there is no Sh0/1 signal available), they are not for shunting use (more than if NO A-signal is present shunting have to stop at this signal). May proceed with special clearance.

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#36 Posted : 24 July 2006 00:25:27(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Thank you very much!

Afterall this is a very interesting topic.
I won't say I know now everything about signals wink but for sure I learned something about them.

Now I can start order some Viessmann signals.

That will be 12 Shunting signals (green), 5 main signals (red) and 2 pre-signals (white) for order.

Timaximus
Offline Rowan  
#37 Posted : 24 July 2006 01:12:03(UTC)
Rowan

An interesting thread.You sure know your signals Fredrik.
Offline Fredrik  
#38 Posted : 24 July 2006 05:35:11(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Rowan
<br />An interesting thread.You sure know your signals Fredrik.

Thanx Smile

Well I should (must) I deal with'em everyday... biggrin

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline steventrain  
#39 Posted : 24 July 2006 09:58:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Rowan
<br />An interesting thread.You sure know your signals Fredrik.

Yeah,I agreed with Rowan.You know all your signals Fredrik.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Transfesa  
#40 Posted : 24 July 2006 11:12:28(UTC)
Transfesa

Hi all,

At this point, I say... isn't it easier to employ two small signalmen from Preiser and provide them with red&white lanterns for making the shunting signals, uh? biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Thank you very much Timaximus and Fredrik for your great effort and these illustrative example of a properly signalled freight station... although some of us don't get enought budget to buy such a huge amount of signals, not to mention if they're all digital [:(]

Kind regards.

Julio Castillo
Madrid, Spain
Offline Fredrik  
#41 Posted : 24 July 2006 13:49:10(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi,

that's the problem - signals are really needed much more than affordable - so the digital version is out of the question. Do it a cheaper way!! Smile

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#42 Posted : 24 July 2006 14:09:58(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hi all,

I admit that I'm lucky that I already have most of the decoders and signals.
I need 8 decoders for the 30 signals.

Ok it's not cheap, but it will look fantastic all that moving and lighting stuff. biggrin
And I have until Christmas to save the budget for them. wink
By the way, they are not that expensive as the light signals we get on the Benelux layout.
[:(]

And speaking of the Benelux layout, I already now that I forgot a lot of Shunting Signals. [:o)] Which is really bad for my wallet! [xx(]

Timaximus
Offline Timaximus  
#43 Posted : 27 July 2006 20:42:24(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Before I forget to ask.

Hans, do you also/still agree with this final signal layout?

It's the "Signalsystem Deutschland" after al. wink

Timaximus
Offline Timaximus  
#44 Posted : 27 July 2006 21:45:24(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
This time I like to do it a different way for the Benelux layout.
First I want to know if the places with a signal are correct.
Not looking at the type of the signal.

The main signals for driving trains out the station already have the signal image "Shunting".
That's why I draw all these shunting signals in front of the main signals grey.

UserPostedImage

Are there enough signals?
And are they on the correct places?

The shunting activity of locs is from and to the Loc Depot and with changing the loc from/to the other side of the train.

Your comments / advice please? wink

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#45 Posted : 27 July 2006 21:59:35(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Very good,

I think you've understood the principle!!! biggrin

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#46 Posted : 27 July 2006 22:15:31(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Ok, next question.

Is it correct that trains are not allowed to run faster then 40 km/h along a dwarf signal (5)?

Also when they drive through the station (for example: goods trains or locs only).

If so do I need the shunting signals on a pole or does that not matter?

Timaximus
Offline Fredrik  
#47 Posted : 27 July 2006 22:53:48(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
If running on a switching-route the speed-limit might be 40 km/h yes (here it's 30, can also be slower...). Although if running on a train-route (but off-course also passing the dwarf's) speed-limit is as stated by signs (or in-cab-signalling, or...). Again might be limited by Hp2 (slow-speed) which in Sweden is 40 km/h unless other notified (by ATC=Autoamtic Train Control).

If it's a pole-mounted signal doesn't really matter, as they're (unfortunately)normally mixed. German railroads might have different specifications where to use a high or a low dwarf though - not quite sure...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
Offline Timaximus  
#48 Posted : 27 July 2006 23:41:44(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Ok, for now I will let them stay where they are.

Thanks so far.

Timaximus
Offline Webmaster  
#49 Posted : 28 July 2006 00:34:10(UTC)
Webmaster

Wow, this is good stuff indeed. It's very nice to have all kinds of experts in the forum. Together we must have the best collective knowledge in any aspect (Cool) of model railroading...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Fredrik  
#50 Posted : 28 July 2006 09:06:21(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi,

btw Timaximus, as you don't have any connection from the freight yard (from the initial question) to the right track, the main-signals on those 2 tracks can/should be left out (again unless you allow left hand traffic). Another approach would be to add signals for double directed traffic on the left track, and add a crossover station further away. Only I'm not sure there was any such (dual-direction-dual-track) lines with semaphores - guess they only drove on the left on special assignments at that time...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.