Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivan  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2023 17:08:24(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Märklin electronic direction reverse unit
UserPostedImage

Locomotives 33xx series have electronic direction switch, obviously invented, built in and meant to prevent well known ``Bocksprung`` or ``Frog leap`` seen in mechanical direction switches with spring.
My question is in regard of a phenomenon I observed with several 33xx electronic switches, which, sometimes, not always, show the same leap as seen in mechanical reverse units.
I find this a flaw in electronic components which are composed of:
Rectifier to power the circuit
Relay and switching transistor
Surge Pulse Detector
Protection diodes
Switching transistors for the locomotive light

There are claims that leap malfunction is a warning sign of sooner or later complete electronic failure.
The question:
Have you observed this phenomenon and what may be the reason for it ? Anyway, it is not supposed to be expected in electronic reverse units; there is no spring to adjust it, designed to be an improvement, and I suppose there must be a flaw somewhere within electronic components. But what and why ?
What`s your opinion and experience. Thanks.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2023 18:05:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post
Märklin electronic direction reverse unit
There are claims that leap malfunction is a warning sign of sooner or later complete electronic failure.
The question:
Have you observed this phenomenon and what may be the reason for it ? Anyway, it is not supposed to be expected in electronic reverse units; there is no spring to adjust it, designed to be an improvement, and I suppose there must be a flaw somewhere within electronic components. But what and why ?
What`s your opinion and experience. Thanks.

I don't have any of these, as all my stuff is digital. However my diagnosis is dependant on the following observation: -

Does the loco reverse when it jumps? If not I would suspect that the circuitry driving the relay is faulty, or the mechanical latch that drives the relay contact one way or the other is sticky and not driving the contacts over. the fix for the second option is to replace the relay, the fix for the first option is more complex and involves having the device in my hands and working through it.

Offline Ivan  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2023 18:33:07(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Quote:

I don't have any of these, as all my stuff is digital. However my diagnosis is dependant on the following observation: -

Does the loco reverse when it jumps? If not I would suspect that the circuitry driving the relay is faulty, or the mechanical latch that drives the relay contact one way or the other is sticky and not driving the contacts over. the fix for the second option is to replace the relay, the fix for the first option is more complex and involves having the device in my hands and working through it.

1. The loco always reverses when it jumps.
2. There are no mechanical components whatsoever; only electonic components depicted above.
3. Another phenomenon; it does not reverse with every impulse, sometimes two impulses are needed. On the other hand, it was probably not meant for what I do reversing dozens of times.
Regards
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2023 23:19:16(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
My 3352 which has some sort of electronic reversing gizmo also has a mechanical reversing unit, looks like a traditional one with spring etc. It works well.

Pictures in this thread.

https://www.marklin-user...dile--Digital-Conversion
Offline cintrans  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2023 23:20:20(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Ivan

The Siemens box on the left rear corner in your pic is a mechanical relay....

Regards

Jean-Pierre
Offline Ivan  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2023 23:36:29(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Ivan

The Siemens box on the left rear corner in your pic is a mechanical relay....

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Thanks. Did not know what Siemens box was; if that`s mechanical relay, it means it has mechanical moving parts and therefore susceptible to the same actions as pure mechanical reverse unit, i.e. it can fail sometimes to reverse flawlessly. Is that the point of your information ?

Offline cintrans  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2023 02:22:26(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Ivan

You stated that sometimes you have to switch more then once to get the lok to reverse, it could be that the contact points in the relay are making a bad connection. This is not uncommon in relays.

Yes, the relay is probably the most "unreliable" or prone to wear part off the whole board... similar to the micro switches found in the switch motors.....

Regards

Jean-Pierre