Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitramretep  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2016 22:52:29(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Having purchased some used freight cars and carriages I have noticed that some are either from a smokers home or have never been cleaned. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to safely clean the bodies of carriages or rolling stock? I am avoiding using any chemical cleaners, such as Windex or Mr. Clean, to avoid damaging the paint work.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2016 00:15:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
Having purchased some used freight cars and carriages I have noticed that some are either from a smokers home or have never been cleaned. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to safely clean the bodies of carriages or rolling stock? I am avoiding using any chemical cleaners, such as Windex or Mr. Clean, to avoid damaging the paint work.

I would use an old toothbrush to gently scrub into all the details wuth warm water and dish detergent.

Then lay the wagon on a towel somewhere gently warm (e.g. in a window in the sun) to dry.

Don't scrub too hard or you will remove the lettering etc, just do it gently.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2016 04:00:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Washing machine = gentle wash = not recommended
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2016 07:00:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would definitely not use a toothbrush, especially anything that was marked regular or hard. A paint brush is probably a much safer bet. I also must advise NOT to place a model train in exposed sunlight, as this can cause paint fade, plastic deformation and other problems.

What I would recommend for metal locomotives is one of the specially designed products that are advertised to clean die cast models without damaging decals and print.
I know that Hag had such a product advertised in their catalog for years. There are AFAIK also other similar products listed in Walthers catalog.

Cleaning a model with water can leave water stains, especially on plastic windows and on the body itself. The best way to do it probably would be to open the model, remove the window panes and then to clean the surface using a moistened Q-Tip or towel and then let it sit on a small chamois or dry using air, if you have a blow dryer with a no-heat setting. You can also purchase a compressed air can that can be used to dry the model.

Here are some sites with advice:
http://modeltrains.about...leaning-Model-Trains.htm

Has anybody any experience with products like this? http://www.busch-model.c...id=1690&sprach_id=en

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Thewolf  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2016 13:46:46(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I would definitely not use a toothbrush, especially anything that was marked regular or hard. A paint brush is probably a much safer bet. I also must advise NOT to place a model train in exposed sunlight, as this can cause paint fade, plastic deformation and other problems.

What I would recommend for metal locomotives is one of the specially designed products that are advertised to clean die cast models without damaging decals and print.
I know that Hag had such a product advertised in their catalog for years. There are AFAIK also other similar products listed in Walthers catalog.

Cleaning a model with water can leave water stains, especially on plastic windows and on the body itself. The best way to do it probably would be to open the model, remove the window panes and then to clean the surface using a moistened Q-Tip or towel and then let it sit on a small chamois or dry using air, if you have a blow dryer with a no-heat setting. You can also purchase a compressed air can that can be used to dry the model.

Here are some sites with advice:
http://modeltrains.about...leaning-Model-Trains.htm

Has anybody any experience with products like this? http://www.busch-model.c...id=1690&sprach_id=en

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike Cool

I am going to follow this post because the Busch products interests me

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2016 14:21:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm with Alan on this. I always use water and washing-up liquid, with an old toothbrush to get into the corners. I dry as much as possible with paper towels and then leave somewhere warm to dry.

The sun is a bit stronger here in Gibraltar than in the UK, so in Summer I prefer leaving the item in the shade near an open window rather than in the sun. In Winter I leave the item near a heater set to low heat.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline nitramretep  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2016 17:05:12(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
"Cyber Clean", sold by Busch and many other retailers is a product that is "adhesive" based, in the sense it has not surfactants or emulsifiers that break down oils or airborne contaminants. It relies entirely on adhesion to dust or objects such as hair or dander. I have been told, by a museum curator, that it leaves a slight residue that is difficult to remove (this is the opinion of the person, not mine). I remember a similar product many years ago that also was "cleanable" after many uses and that product was less than brilliant or functional after the first several uses. I would not use Cyber Clean and prefer the use of much more simple and practical materials such as those suggested by Alan.
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2016 18:48:48(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
"Cyber Clean", sold by Busch and many other retailers is a product that is "adhesive" based, in the sense it has not surfactants or emulsifiers that break down oils or airborne contaminants. It relies entirely on adhesion to dust or objects such as hair or dander. I have been told, by a museum curator, that it leaves a slight residue that is difficult to remove (this is the opinion of the person, not mine). I remember a similar product many years ago that also was "cleanable" after many uses and that product was less than brilliant or functional after the first several uses. I would not use Cyber Clean and prefer the use of much more simple and practical materials such as those suggested by Alan.

Thus it's better to not use it

Thank you

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Unholz  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2016 19:58:48(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I always use water and washing-up liquid, with an old toothbrush to get into the corners. (...)

I either use distilled water (ages ago this was also recommended for developing and printing films and photographic papers) and/or a soap-free washing lotion (for instance the German brand called Sebamed or something similar). Instead of the toothbrush which I find too hard, I would also recommend a softer painting brush. For drying I use a simple hairdryer.