Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kim R  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2012 04:21:00(UTC)
Kim R

Australia   
Hi

I live in Australia and I have just started out. I am trying to get hold of a transformer to run my setup and I am aiming to use analogue as I have no modern gear. It is all pre 1980.

Will the new 6647 or 66470 transformers do the job? What is the difference between the two units?

Thanks,
Kim
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2012 10:40:40(UTC)
H0

Hi, Kim!
Originally Posted by: Kim R Go to Quoted Post
What is the difference between the two units?

They don't explain. 66470 is called "Sicherheitstransformer" (safety transformer) while 6647 is just a transformer.
Maybe they added protection against reverse transformation (if you feed 16 V into the back of a 6647, you will get 230 V on the blank ends of the disconnected mains plug).

Originally Posted by: Kim R Go to Quoted Post
Will the new 6647 or 66470 transformers do the job?

They are for 230 V (+/- 10 %), but probably they are the best choice for the 240 V (+/- 10 %) in Australia. If mains voltage remains below 253 V, you use it within its specifications.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Kim R  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2012 11:38:32(UTC)
Kim R

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

They are for 230 V (+/- 10 %), but probably they are the best choice for the 240 V (+/- 10 %) in Australia. If mains voltage remains below 253 V, you use it within its specifications.

Thanks for that. I found the local dealer only has the 6647 unit anyway. Also it appears that they only put out 14v ac as well compared to the old blue ones that put out a maximum of 16v. I guess that is not a big problem though. A couple of volts less should stress all the components less (eg light bulbs) and increase their lives.

Appreciate the reply Tom. There is so much to learn!!!

Kim