Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tex  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2011 04:32:19(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Noch makes a track cleaning pad which hooks on to an axel of a freight car. It drags along the top of the track to keep the track clean, I have a multilevel layout that has areas that are difficult to clean. Has anyone used this item on marklin track ? does it help ? Does it run dry or does it require a cleaning fluid ?

richard
Offline Drongo  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2011 08:25:37(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Richard,

I've used these Noch pads and have had limited success. They do need some form of solvent ( I use "Shellite") and they do become dirty very quickly. They only clean the 2 rails, so you need something else for the centre studs. I use the Noch rubber for this and then spray an electronic conduct spray on them to resist oxidising and improve electrical conductivity. I've also, tried a unit that is a carriage with a vacuum cleaner - again, with limited success. For really good results, I'm sorry, the only way is with "elbow grease".

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Darren W  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2011 16:40:22(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I agree with Greg about these pads they clean the 2 rails but not the centre studs. You also have to be careful if you go in reverse as they can get caught on a switch and derail. They are not bad though for some general cleaning and it wouldn't hurt to run a train once in a while to help keep things polished.

Darren
Offline Tex  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2011 21:10:27(UTC)
Tex

United States   
thank you , darren and greg, your experiences are in line with what I suspected. I'm interested in your concern about the center studs. I didn't think it was anywhere as important as the rails because of the rubbing of the studs by the pickup shoes.

richard

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2011 21:45:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post
Does it run dry or does it require a cleaning fluid?

They are designed for dry operation. You can use them as a preventive measure, run them permanently on the layout (I didn't use them in a long-time test yet).
They have very little effect if you can see the dirt with bare eyes already - you can run them over the dirty spot for 20 times and the dirt is still visible.
I haven't tried them with fluid.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline anthpao  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2011 20:45:17(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
These pads are for keeping the rails clean, not to clean them if they are already dirty. I use two of them in all of my cargo trains (10 in total).
To thorougly clean the tracks I use a cleaner (like a pensil eraser) and then with a cloth I remove any dirt.
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2011 23:21:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I use a Roco rubber which keeps everything clean and takes little time to do. Never really had any bother under hillsides etc. Have used the Noch pads but they just bounce along the rails and without any weight are pretty useless.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Dreadnought  
#8 Posted : 14 August 2011 03:53:25(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have a LUX two car track cleaning set. One car is a rolling brush. The second is a static brush with a vacuum. They each have a pick up shoe which gives them power. I run them slowly behing my BR 81. It does an excellent job on my old M track. "Dead" areas I rub with rubbing alcohol using a cloth. Between the two I have no problems.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 14 August 2011 08:57:57(UTC)
H0

This has been discussed before, just search for "abrasive".
A sample hit:
https://www.marklin-user...-C-track.aspx#post292609

Abrasive cleaning is like playing LP records wet - once you started, you can never stop.

I shy away from any abrasive cleaning (like Roco rubber, Lux cleaners with normal disks, &c.).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage