Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2011 22:20:50(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I have read on the forum that lighter fluid is good to clean wheels; can it also be used to thoroughly clean C track?...Or is isoprophyl alcohol still the best??
(I have the PECO eraser, but that means I have to get out the vacuum to clean up all the bits of grit n stuff.....)....ThumbDown
I used benzine once upon a time, on the old M track, worked well, but the fumes kinda sends us on a trip...RollEyes RollEyes
Joe
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2011 23:08:57(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Joe, I've found that the erasers just get real black, real fast. Now I just use 1/2 of a paper towel at a time on each rail. They get black real fast. Cheers,PeterSmile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline kbvrod  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2011 23:42:20(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Joe,all,

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
I have read on the forum that lighter fluid is good to clean wheels; can it also be used to thoroughly clean C track?...Or is isoprophyl alcohol still the best??
(I have the PECO eraser, but that means I have to get out the vacuum to clean up all the bits of grit n stuff.....)....ThumbDown
I used benzine once upon a time, on the old M track, worked well, but the fumes kinda sends us on a trip...RollEyes RollEyes
Joe

Isoprophyl alcohol is a safe and fine cleaning agent for your C-track and wheels.Why? Readily available,cheap and it dries quickly.There was a discussion on the B&G of 'new' formula's for cleaning track,...I can check,...(?)
Never use an abrasive-Bright Boy,Peco,Roco or sandpaper even 2,000 grit(!) to clean your tracks.They will scratch and pit the railheads,where the dirt will never leave!OhMyGod

The things a MRR can do is run their trains as often as possible(same does for DC).If life doesn't allow that have a maintenance program,that is always run a track cleaning car in an operating session or AS an operating session.Rotate your your rolling stock/loks for cleaning.One problem is that you your tracks are clean but your rolling stock is not and is depositing 'crud' back on the rails.

Dr D Wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Dimi194  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2011 03:24:35(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
I use a Fleischmann cleaning block, but I have use alchol in the past.
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2011 11:02:05(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks everyone - iv'e noticed just how fast the tracks get real black!! Seems like the alcohol is the route to go. Tried my fingers, and it works well on the rails, but not such a clever idea running them over the studs - OUCH, ended up with one bleeding finger-luckily I have some nurses standing on the platform that could assist pronto..who said playing trains is boring1?!!
Joe
You so right Dr D....some of my coach wheels are seriosly encrusted with dirt...kinda defeating the object by having shiny rails, but not checkin the wagon wheels....so I know what's on the menu this weekend!
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2011 00:17:41(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Joe,all,
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Thanks everyone - iv'e noticed just how fast the tracks get real black!! Seems like the alcohol is the route to go. Tried my fingers, and it works well on the rails, but not such a clever idea running them over the studs - OUCH, ended up with one bleeding finger-luckily I have some nurses standing on the platform that could assist pronto..who said playing trains is boring1?!!
Joe
You so right Dr D....some of my coach wheels are seriosly encrusted with dirt...kinda defeating the object by having shiny rails, but not checkin the wagon wheels....so I know what's on the menu this weekend!

A couple of other things I failed to mentioned,...after a swipe of the iso,give the rails a dry swipe(lint-free cloth if possible),you will get more 'crud' off.Wheels,I know this maybe be a pain,but have some spares.Soak the old ones and switch to clean ones.

Dr D
Offline sudibarba  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2011 03:05:41(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I think lighter fluid (naphtha) cuts the grim much better than alcohol.

Eric
Offline kbvrod  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2011 13:36:24(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
I think lighter fluid (naphtha) cuts the grim much better than alcohol.Eric

Of course,one could use MEK also,...do you want to breath those fumes?Huh

Dr D
Offline sudibarba  
#9 Posted : 15 July 2011 22:59:45(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
I think lighter fluid (naphtha) cuts the grim much better than alcohol.Eric

Of course,one could use MEK also,...do you want to breath those fumes?Huh

Dr D

I really don't think there is any issue. In fact, when I looked up the terrible MEK you referred to in the on line encyclopedia it was removed from some list of hazardous Mateials in 2005.
Low exposure anyway in any normal application. I actually use acetone to clean track and lighter fluid for motors and wheels and frames.
I started using lighter fluid (I now buy naphtha by the gallon instead of Ronson lighter fluid at the hardware store) based on advice from Helmut Wilkness many years ago.

Eric
Offline kbvrod  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2011 01:01:17(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Eric,all,

Quote:
I really don't think there is any issue. In fact, when I looked up the terrible MEK you referred to in the on line encyclopedia it was removed from some list of hazardous Mateials in 2005.

Maybe,I can still get MEK at the local paint/hardware store.I have been dealing with these chemicals since 1990.

Quote:
Low exposure anyway in any normal application. I actually use acetone to clean track and lighter fluid for motors and wheels and frames.
I started using lighter fluid (I now buy naphtha by the gallon instead of Ronson lighter fluid at the hardware store) based on advice from Helmut Wilkness many years ago.

My original post to Joe was to mean you should never have to get that point.Yes,sometimes you need more powerful chemicals to clean older equipment.

Dr Dirt.
Offline mattj70  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2011 03:14:18(UTC)
mattj70

United States   
I have sliced and diced my finger tips a few times! I feel it Cursing

Matt
Offline sudibarba  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2011 04:50:21(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: mattj70 Go to Quoted Post
I have sliced and diced my finger tips a few times! I feel it Cursing

Matt

Not sure what you mean. Maybe latex gloves if you cut yourself?

At any rate, any exposure is under your control.

Eric
Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 19 July 2011 01:11:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
here is what I came up with - precision machines pine wood blocks. Worked so well I made a batch to sell
http://home.comcast.net/~debale/crud-b-gone/

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 20 July 2011 03:46:20(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
here is what I came up with - precision machines pine wood blocks. Worked so well I made a batch to sell
http://home.comcast.net/~debale/crud-b-gone/

Dale,
I must admit I have not used the one you gave me but chose to keep it as a memento of my visits to your layout.
When I finally get unpacked and set up here in Augusta, GA I will give it a try. Hope al is going well with you.
Eric