Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitevision92  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2011 21:17:40(UTC)
nitevision92

Hi all,
I'm a student living in Germany for the time being.
I used to build aircraft models, but just got bitten by the MRR bug and have been reading on the topic for some time now. However, not all is good as I find this to be quite confusing. Plenty of questions ahead!

If I've read correctly, Marklin trains run by having a metal shoe contact a series of raised "dots" in the middle of the track... So what then, is the "feeder track"? And what is the difference between C track and K track? Also, what is the difference between a digital and analog system? Are the trains compatible with either one (Like an older non-digital train on a digital system)?

I've visited the hobby shops in my area and have taken a liking to Era V/VI electric/diesel trains. Is it feasible for a beginner to build a set from scratch, as opposed to buying the starter sets?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Offline hennabm  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2011 21:29:31(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi
welcome to the forum ThumpUp ThumpUp

To answer some of your questions.
1/ the feeder track intorduces the current to the live dots in the middle and also carries the eart from the rails.

2/ C track is the new raised track and has built in ballast. It replaced the M track which was made of metal.
The K track is more "traditional" with only the rails and sleepers.
Both are served by raised dots acting as the 3rd rail and the power source for the engines and coach lighting etc.

3/ Analogue control is by transformer and will control sections of isolated track or complete circuits. Normally only one engine per circuit/section is controlled by one transformer.
Digital means each engine is chipped and controlled separately from the main controller. In the case the whole track is constantly live and the control is via the chip in the loco.
Analogue locos will not run on digital tracks as they will be under full power all the time.

4/ it is always possible to start by buying separate items but sets do provide good value for money. Also to consider is buying second hand from ebay.de, for example.

Hope that helps

Mike

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline gachar001  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2011 22:52:48(UTC)
gachar001

India   
For a beginner, as Mike suggested, it would be better to go with a starter set. Preferrably one with a Mobile Station 2 controller (the latest generation of Mobile Station). Here is an example

http://shop.lokshop.de/p...3&products_id=160512

You can simultaneously control multiple trains on the same track with this controller.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2011 23:07:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi and Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2011 23:42:45(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi nitevision and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good info here and this is a great hobby, to be sure. Cheers,PeterSmile
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2011 23:50:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Yep. A starter set from a good dealer is the way to go. This gives you everything you need and a booklet that will answer most of your questions abd get your first train running. Thereafter the forum here is great for questions when expanding the layout.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2011 04:33:56(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Welcome to the forum. It must be so nice to go to a hobby shop and see nothing but European trains. I am jealous. Anyway, keep asking the questions as the people here are great and have lots of info. And I would say the starter sets are the best way to start but you can always build from scratch.

Chris
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2011 09:09:51(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
A warm welcome to the forum from me too.

As already said, here you will find a lot of useful information.

Cheers

Renato
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2011 10:00:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: nitevision92 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
I'm a student living in Germany for the time being.
I used to build aircraft models, but just got bitten by the MRR bug and have been reading on the topic for some time now. However, not all is good as I find this to be quite confusing. Plenty of questions ahead!

If I've read correctly, Marklin trains run by having a metal shoe contact a series of raised "dots" in the middle of the track... So what then, is the "feeder track"? And what is the difference between C track and K track? Also, what is the difference between a digital and analog system? Are the trains compatible with either one (Like an older non-digital train on a digital system)?

I've visited the hobby shops in my area and have taken a liking to Era V/VI electric/diesel trains. Is it feasible for a beginner to build a set from scratch, as opposed to buying the starter sets?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ah, new blood - we LOVE new blood, and every one has a new question never asked before, always lots of fun.

Enjoy yourself here, we'll make you right at home. Others have already answered your questions but for what it's worth (my two cents), you will quickly find in this hobby that there's not really any 'right' or 'wrong' way to start, you can start with a set, or just piece by piece, but a starter set often gives you an instant start with a bunch of stuff you can be pretty sure will work from go. Starter sets can also represent excellent value for money.

About the only thing to watch for is getting a 'rush of blood to the head' and buying something on impulse without knowing a lot about it.

Keep us posted on your progress and keep the questions coming.

PS: We (I) love first names here, some of the user names can sound a bit odd to start a conversation. Wink

Regards from Melbourne

Cookee

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2011 10:11:05(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will have lots of fun hanging here and enjoying discussions! Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline nitevision92  
#11 Posted : 09 August 2011 13:44:14(UTC)
nitevision92

Hi all,
Thanks for the overwhelmingly warm welcome! BigGrin
Gautham: Well that link you provided was a really nice surprise for me. I've been eyeing it for some time on the Marklin web-shop, but it was listed as a "novelty item, not yet produced".
Cookee: Thanks for the kind words. And here I was, worried I'd buy the "wrong" things and result in something "newbie-stupid" like shorting out the whole set! The username I have now has been with me for years- most message board users have since shortened my username to nv or nv92. Or whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, I've been skimming over the forum posts, and it seems digital control is the way to go. However, a peek in the Marklin digital forums and I can't understand a word! And thus I have more questions, hope it doesn't bore you!

1.There's a chip inside the locomotives- what does it control? What about loksound, fx and mfx? Do these "functions"-f1,f2,f3,f4- refer to the lights on the train etc?
2.This one is concerning the hook-like symbol I see on some Maerklin trains. The explanation says that it can be operated with Marklin Delta or Marklin Digital (motorola format). Now do I have to choose between two digital systems?

Oh, and I saw the BR03 streamliner today...Drool
Offline DamonKelly  
#12 Posted : 09 August 2011 15:19:39(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Hi nv, welcome to THE best place to talk Märklin!

As others have suggested, a Starter Set is a fine way to begin -- you get everything you need to get up and running, and there is a good variety to choose from at various price levels (although -- being Märklin -- none especially cheap...Blink)
I agree that a Starter Set with a Mobile Station 2 is probably best to begin with: it will give you good control, without too much complication and setup time.
I strongly suggest you peruse the available Starter Sets and find one that suits your budget and interest, and buy that.
Digital is really the only way to go nowadays -- others may (actually, will!) disagree, but every thing new from Märklin is fully digital.

C-track is a "click together" system the replaces the old M-track (for "metal track"). It has the road bed built in (made of plastic), and can be easily connected and pulled apart for a "carpet-bahn". K-track is more for a proper permanent "layout", where you build the road bed and place the tracks on it, with all the associated weathering and details. It consists only of (plastic) ties/sleepers and the rails+center studs.
Actually, C-track looks pretty good (considering it's nature). It is like the Kato (2-rail) track system.

As to digital control, understand that the old "analog" locos cannot run with the new digital controllers, but the new digital locos can run with the old analog transformers (with some caveats about exactly which/how old the analog transformer is).
Go digital.
Yes, it can be confusing, but the Märklin literature does quite a good job explaining how everything works in practice.
Basically, the track provides constant power to the loco, and also digital commands to the "decoder". The decoder then controls the motor to set the speed, and also all the extra "functions" like lights, smoke, horns, sounds etc...
When you bump up the speed of a loco on the controller, it sends digital commands to the decoder to increase the speed of the motor.
Each loco gets a unique address/identification, so you can control multiple locos at the one time.

Similarly, fx and mfx are just varieties of "languages" with different capabilities, but they are essentially transparent to the you, the user (mfx has more capabilities than fx, but your MS2 will control them all to the best of their abilities.)
Märklin Delta and Digital (Motorola) are simply older version of the digital control language, and your MS2 will control them perfectly correctly. This is one huge advantage with Märklin -- they go to extraordinary lengths to ensure that their new controllers will correctly control all of their older digital locos/systems.

If you buy a new Starter Set, you don't need to worry about digital protocols or compatibilty...
until the Märklin bug really bites and you start scouring e-bay for old locos to convert to digital...Laugh BigGrin Scared Woot LOL Then the fun really begins...

And yes, that streamlined BR03 is a beautiful thing...
Cheers,
Damon
Offline gachar001  
#13 Posted : 09 August 2011 17:20:46(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Hi all,

Gautham: Well that link you provided was a really nice surprise for me. I've been eyeing it for some time on the Marklin web-shop, but it was listed as a "novelty item, not yet produced".

Yes. This item is not yet available. On the bottom left of the lokshop web page, there is a white circle and it says 'Product not yet deliverable'

It is scheduled for the 4th quarter of 2011.

This topic maintained by steventrain will give you details of the release dates of the 2011 items.

https://www.marklin-user...pdate-2-August-2011.aspx
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline nitevision92  
#14 Posted : 09 August 2011 19:20:22(UTC)
nitevision92

Oh, I forgot to mention... Along with the BR 03 streamliner set, I saw a couple of things on special offer:
An electric locomotive with AGFA emblazoned on the side (83463 I believe?) - EUR109
A steam loco with the product number 33952 - Labelled "Marklin Delta" - EUR119
And a tiny steam locomotive with no identification except its brand - EUR27 - it did look like it came from "My Start with Märklin" though.
Also a new electric loco with the hvle.de markings on the side - made me think of doing something like this:

Anything worth picking up ahead of time? You know- "get it before it's gone"?
Offline Winterblade73  
#15 Posted : 09 August 2011 19:24:13(UTC)
Winterblade73

United States   
Welcome aboard! I just began January of this year.

Good luck with starting the collection. At first I wanted everything, but the wife and wallet stopped that. I settled on CFL and DSB era V-VI to try and keep costs down.
Phil from SoCal
Member of ETE SoCal since 2011
ETE SoCal Facebook Page
Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL) Era III-VI
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#16 Posted : 10 August 2011 10:56:20(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Oh, I forgot to mention... Along with the BR 03 streamliner set, I saw a couple of things on special offer:
An electric locomotive with AGFA emblazoned on the side (83463 I believe?) - EUR109
A steam loco with the product number 33952 - Labelled "Marklin Delta" - EUR119
And a tiny steam locomotive with no identification except its brand - EUR27 - it did look like it came from "My Start with Märklin" though.
Also a new electric loco with the hvle.de markings on the side - made me think of doing something like this:

Anything worth picking up ahead of time? You know- "get it before it's gone"?

I have just skimmed through the thread so I might have missed it but regarding what to get I think it is up to you. Have you decided on a certain Era or country to model, or will you collect and run a variety of trains? Some people get the items that look good to them, and of course that is a very nice way to get a layout with lot's of different interesting items.

Good luck

Oliver
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline nitevision92  
#17 Posted : 10 August 2011 13:49:11(UTC)
nitevision92

Hi Oliver,
Was considering a more "modern industrial" layout with containers etc, being pulled by Era V/VI electrics.
Offline jeehring  
#18 Posted : 10 August 2011 14:09:20(UTC)
jeehring

Hi all,

...(...)... Also, what is the difference between a digital and analog system? Are the trains compatible with either one (Like an older non-digital train on a digital system)?

...(...)...Thanks in advance for your help!

One day if you find some old models in your grand father's attic ....you can always make an analog locomotive becoming digital . You just have to install a decoder inside.
For instance : about old analog Marklin models, you will find some special electronics kits with 1 decoder + a few motor parts allowing you to improve the old motor. In Germany you should find plenty of good info in German about it...Germany is the planet of Model Railroading...
Offline intruder  
#19 Posted : 10 August 2011 22:40:05(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hi nv92, and welcome to this fantastic forum.

I would also say that a digital starter set is the way to go, even though some great members stick to analogue operation.

Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline nitevision92  
#20 Posted : 12 August 2011 07:47:18(UTC)
nitevision92

Looks like I'm pretty locked onto the Railpool starter. Guess I'll have to wait for some time before I can join the fun...