Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rcartwri  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2011 13:22:54(UTC)
rcartwri

Australia   
I am new to model railroading, building my first real layout, and in need of some advice from more experienced hands.

The design involves several Marklin 72442 braking modules attached to a 60830 decoder, controlled by an ESU 50200 central station. That all works fine; but I am having trouble understanding the required wiring for signals, which perform simply a cosmetic function in this instance.

I have a couple of Marklin 76391 coloured light signals which I want to use for visual effect with the braking modules. They are the later generation of the 76xxx signal series, which I understand should now work in conjunction with the 72442 braking modules. However, I do not understand the various instructions on how they should be wired up, simply to change colour with the switching instruction from the 60830 decoder. That is, as I understand, the signals do not perform any switching function for track power, but simply should change colour as the braking module is switched to "stop" or "go".

Would some helpful soul please tell me in simple terms which wires to attach to which connections, since I have so far had no success following the various Marklin directions?

Grateful for any assistance!

Rob
Offline Nielsenr  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2011 23:49:37(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Rob,

First, the 76XXX series signals are digital signals. They are capable of switching off a section of track in front of the signal when activated. No additional K83 or switch box is required. You just program the signal with whatever controller you are using to an address of your choice.

Having said that, there is a way to use the 76XXX signals in conventional analog mode. In the 03402 HO Signal Book, they have a some diagrams that may help. One is the 76391 controlled by a 7232 control box. The 7232 could be replaced by the K83. There is also a diagram for connecting the Brake Control Module (BCM)to a conventional signal. There is also a specific reference to the 76XXX series and the BCM that the the two devices have to use their systems in parallel with each other.

I am in the middle of some things at the moment and getting ready to cook some dinner soon. If no one else responds with a solution, I will scan the pages and respond later with how I think you might make it work. I too am looking at using a BCM but want to build them myself since the cost of Marklins BCM is very expensive considering the circuit that is inside. Having done some research on BCMs, I think I have found a post by a member here on the Forum who gave a link to his website where he developed a way to use the new 76XXX siganls directly with a home brewed BCM without the need for a K83. I'll try and post those links too.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2011 06:43:57(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Ok Rob, here goes ... if anyone here on the forum wants to correct any mistakes I have made in the following, please feel free to do so.

Here is the first scan from the 03402 Signal Book, page 8-8

UserPostedImage

First, look at the drawing on the right side of the scan. This is the circuit board for the 76XXX digital signals. "A" is for connecting a distant signal, if applicable. "B" is used for switching track current on/off. "C" is for the power supply in conventional analog operation. "D" is a second relay contact. The relay on the board is actually a DPDT relay. Remember this for later. "E" is for analog connections from a control box. "F" is a permanent connection to the signal mast. Let's ignore "G" and "H".

The drawing on the left side shows how to connect the 76391 as a conventional analog signal controlled by a 7272 control box. In your case, it can be replaced by the K83 decoder. You would ignore using "B", the Brake Control Module is controlling the switching of power to the track. You would need to connect "C" to AC power as shown in the drawing. The last connection is to plug the 7272 (or K83) into the connector marked "E". There should be a 4 pin connector that came with the signal to use here. Before I continue, let me post another page ...

UserPostedImage

At the bottom of the bottom paragraph of the center column note the comment that 76XXX signals must be used in parallel to the BCM. I take that to mean that the signal connection to connector "E" on the 76XXX signal needs to connect to the same output of the 7272 (or K83). I assume there is enough power to drive both the BCM and the 76XXX signal from one K83 output. I have not tried this myself. If someone disagrees with this, just say so. I am not too proud to admit I am wrong.

I have been searching for info on the BCM and have found a couple of sites where you can make them yourself (if you are good with soldering and working with making a small prototyping board). Using a K83 to drive a 76XXX signal is kind of a waste since the signal has it's own digital decoder built in. The 72442 BCM carries a $100 list price here in the States and you can make one easily for under $10. Remember connector "D" that I mentioned above? I found a thread here on the Forum (I tried finding it again to give you the link but I am having problems searching on the forum right now. I wanted to give credit to the member who posted his research and findings). The link to his website is here:

http://home.swipnet.se/wes_familj/emj8.htm

Read thru it and check out the section "Deeper". Click on the link to the third method and he shows how you can make a BCM circuit that uses this extra relay contact from connector "D".

Ok, I have "rambled" on enough. I hope this helps you and solves your problem. Again if anyone wants to correct any of this, feel free.

Robert
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2011 08:49:57(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

As said, it's a big overkill to use 76xxx signals as you already have working 72442 with digital control. Just get a simple 2 aspect signal mast from Viessmann, and connect it to the 72442. That's all.

The 76xxx is not designed to work well will 7244x, but of course, everything is possible. Running it in analog mode and connect it in parallell with the 72442 would be my suggestion also.

/Lars
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2011 10:28:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Rob,

Welcome to the forum.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline rcartwri  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2011 16:46:00(UTC)
rcartwri

Australia   
Many thanks for the helpful replies, which I will study in the morning.

I realise 76391 signals are a complete overkill with braking modules, but since I have them I might as well use them. Also, I am trying to work only in digital control mode, so will approach wiring options from this angle.

Hopefully it will all make sense in the morning!

Rob
Offline rcartwri  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2011 06:26:28(UTC)
rcartwri

Australia   
Dear Robert,

Your detailed reply has been most helpful. Indeed there is a 4 pin connector included with the signal; and from the comments in your scans it makes sense that wires from E, connected in parallel to the k83 decoder, should do the trick.

I had been puzzled, however, that the only diagram I found of 76xxx signals connected to the braking module shows 1 yellow and 2 blue wires from the signal. Such a wire set is not included with the signal. Instead, there is a green and a red attached to the 4 pin connector, shown as used in conventional operation. All a little confusing to a relative novice.

So, following your suggestion, I will connect the red and green in parallel to the k83 decoder (and then, no doubt, find out whether I was successful in giving the signal the same address as the braking module!) Unfortunately, it will be a week before I am back home to try it.

In the meantime, thank you once again for your help.

Rob
Offline Nielsenr  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2011 06:50:12(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Rob

Your welcome!!

My 4 pin connector has 3 wires. Looking more at the Signal Manual, my three wire connector is used when connecting a distant signal to connector "A" and it is from a 76393 signal. If you look at the first diagram above , it shows only two wires need to be connected at "E". It looks like the two outer pins. I would follow the connection as shown although something tells me if you reversed the wires the signal would just show the opposite color required. Once again, I have not used the 76XXX signals in conventional analog mode, but reading the manuals this seems to be the way to connect them. If you can find the 03402 manual, it's a decent source of info.

Robert
Offline supermoee  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2011 12:43:25(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

is it easy, just comand your signal with one adress and the braking module with another adress (k83) in parallel by programming an itinerary witch is switching both at the same time.

I'm doing like this and I do not understand why it should be an overkill??? The signal looks fantastic and the normal on/off switch of the signal will be just replaced by a braking module. IT is not an overkill, it is a tuning of the high tech signal.

Advantage of the solution is, that I can run in the opposite direction just by commanding the braking module, the signal is still showing red (very prototypical).

If someone doesn't like to use up two adresses for this, he can make the connection between both using the diagram suggested by Märklin:

http://medienpdb.maerkli...102-Signal_und_72441.pdf

rgds

Stephan
Offline rcartwri  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2011 15:45:42(UTC)
rcartwri

Australia   
Dear Stephan,

Thanks for your helpful contribution.

In the diagram on the link you provided, what is the additional device shown, to which the signal is also wired?

Also, how do I find out what other such diagrams or instructions can be accessed from that site? The link seems to either crash my browser or shows as "forbidden" if I try to explore beyond that exact page.

Regards,
Rob
Offline Nielsenr  
#11 Posted : 06 July 2011 18:44:57(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
That is an interesting circuit Stephen. Did it ever show up in a Marklin publication? I assume the B40 C800 is a rectifier. The only address used is for the signal which is using one of the DP contacts to supply either a positive or negative DC to the braking module. Interesting ... now does anyone have a source for the small two pin and four pin connectors used with the 76XXX signals??

Robert
Offline Nielsenr  
#12 Posted : 06 July 2011 19:30:03(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
One more thing Stephen, how does one get access to medienpdb.maerklin.de. When I try to go there I get a permission denied message. It looks like there might be a bunch of neat stuff there.

Robert
Offline rcartwri  
#13 Posted : 19 July 2011 14:41:55(UTC)
rcartwri

Australia   
Success at last!! I can report that wiring the 76391 signal in parallel with the 72442 braking module, as shown in Figure 9-27 of the Marklin HO Signal Book but with a k83 decoder substituted for the 7272 control box, works just fine. In doing so, I have set the same digital address for the signal as for the output from the k83 decoder.

The greatest obstacle in the exercise was Marklin's outdated instructions with the signal, relating to setting the digital address. Version 2 signals come with what appears to be a rectangular piece of cardboard held in place by a wire clip across the underside of the signal's control electronic circuit. Apparently this was part of the packaging in version 1, so that after setting the address you simply took the signal out of the pack and installed it on the layout. Now, after setting the address, the cardboard and clip have to be separately removed before the signal will operate in anything other than demonstration mode. No matter how you wire the signal for testing, if the cardboard and clip have not been removed, only frustration lies ahead. Remove the cardboard and clip prior to testing the wiring, and ... bliss.

Now, experienced hands would no doubt have dropped to this rather quickly; but for a novice, it would have helped if the instructions made some mention of needing to remove this innocuous attachment to the signal's control circuit prior to testing.

I can also report that the item B 40 C 800 in the circuit provided by Stephan is a commercially available rectifier, which I have on order.

Rob
Offline bo  
#14 Posted : 31 March 2013 00:40:19(UTC)
bo

Ukraine   
Originally Posted by: rcartwri Go to Quoted Post
Success at last!! I can report that wiring the 76391 signal in parallel with the 72442 braking module, as shown in Figure 9-27 of the Marklin HO Signal Book but with a k83 decoder substituted for the 7272 control box, works just fine. In doing so, I have set the same digital address for the signal as for the output from the k83 decoder.

The greatest obstacle in the exercise was Marklin's outdated instructions with the signal, relating to setting the digital address. Version 2 signals come with what appears to be a rectangular piece of cardboard held in place by a wire clip across the underside of the signal's control electronic circuit. Apparently this was part of the packaging in version 1, so that after setting the address you simply took the signal out of the pack and installed it on the layout. Now, after setting the address, the cardboard and clip have to be separately removed before the signal will operate in anything other than demonstration mode. No matter how you wire the signal for testing, if the cardboard and clip have not been removed, only frustration lies ahead. Remove the cardboard and clip prior to testing the wiring, and ... bliss.

Now, experienced hands would no doubt have dropped to this rather quickly; but for a novice, it would have helped if the instructions made some mention of needing to remove this innocuous attachment to the signal's control circuit prior to testing.

I can also report that the item B 40 C 800 in the circuit provided by Stephan is a commercially available rectifier, which I have on order.

Rob

Hi to all!

I am new to this forum, but not with marklinSmile. I am building my 2nd fully digital layout (here is some photos of my beginnings - topic) and I need some advice from you guys. I own CS 60213 (one of the latest firmware update, late 2012), some signals 76xxx series and ofcourse 72442 BM.
All wires are connected the same way as shown in Stephan's link (special thanks to him), except CS2 without rectifier and K83 decoder.
Everything works fine for me, except braking distance. I've tried to change brake delay settings in cs2 for loco and even tried to increase speed before braking area - but still no effect. Loco stops at the same point. Sad

My goal is:
1. Smooth stop at the end (exact point) of 3 standing in a row platforms or before in a row 76xxx signals.
2. Proceed slow on Yellow/Red color.

My brain is going to explode soon!Cursing I will not move forward until I solve this issue.Confused

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Thnks in advance!

PS sorry for my English Blushing

BR,
Boris