Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2008 16:25:40(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Move the shutdown button to front screen biggrin
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2008 20:29:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Need more locos iron list included livery such as 39891, 37031, etc.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2008 10:59:19(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonas_sthlm
<br />Move the shutdown button to front screen biggrin

Why...?

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2008 11:06:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I just wish for a CS2! biggrin
Offline laalves  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2008 12:27:31(UTC)
laalves

1- In the layout feature, possibility of using a single address for more than one accessory;

2- Function mapping like in the CS1;

3- Advanced loco parameter editing like in the CS1;

4- Locomotives registering their function icons correctly, like in the CS1.
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2008 12:37:53(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
That the price of it drops between 25-50%
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2008 16:30:15(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Goofy
<br />
Quote:

Why...?

Goofy

You have still not answering my question why...?

Aunt Marklin don´t take care by acting after yours wishing.

Shutdown button cannot been moved to the frontscreen,just because it´s an special button by in function byself seperat away from other functional at CS2...!

Goofy Cool
H0
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2008 16:33:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />

4- Locomotives registering their function icons correctly, like in the CS1.

I agreed with you.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2008 11:46:24(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Need more locos iron list included livery such as 39891, 37031, etc.

You can placement it byself at CS2.

It´s just to update.

Goofy
H0
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 21 October 2008 11:47:55(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:

IMPOSSIBLE...!!!

Goofy Cool
H0
Offline supermoee  
#11 Posted : 21 October 2008 12:46:26(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

I do not want shutdown button on the front screen. Than you click on it by fault and your CS2 shuts down.

What I want:

- coupling track symbol in layout
- movement signal symbol in layout
- symbol for handswitches in layout to avoid adress waste
- symbol for braking modules
- function mapping like CS1
- more setting functions for locos as sound speed etc.

kind regards

Stephan
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 21 October 2008 13:20:22(UTC)
Goofy

That will become by update CS2... wink

Goofy
H0
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 21 October 2008 13:40:05(UTC)
Goofy

Not when we have financial-crises...!

Goofy biggrin
H0
Offline jeehring  
#14 Posted : 21 October 2008 14:46:03(UTC)
jeehring

While function mapping may be useful in DCC world with many types of central( with anonymous function touchs , no factory installed decoders, etc)
I'm curious to know why it looks so important to Marklin-user's eyes , using a touch screen central + auto annoucement of the locomotives ( including data bank of motorola locomotives )...
Just curious . Smile
Offline Fredrik  
#15 Posted : 21 October 2008 14:53:10(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Well actually not all functions available have been automatically accessible. I have 2 mfx-engines that contained more sounds when I was able to "enable" them, which was done through the function-mapping. I have also by this, given my engines a "switching-light"-option through one function. This function switches the lights on in both directions at the same time. This can then also be combined with the "switching-speed" thus with one button I turn to switching mode, changing both lights and driving charachteristics.

If it's really NEEDED... YESSS!!! biggrin
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline jeehring  
#16 Posted : 21 October 2008 16:21:52(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MJ-Teknik
<br />Well actually not all functions available have been automatically accessible. I have 2 mfx-engines that contained more sounds when I was able to "enable" them, which was done through the function-mapping. I have also by this, given my engines a "switching-light"-option through one function. This function switches the lights on in both directions at the same time. This can then also be combined with the "switching-speed" thus with one button I turn to switching mode, changing both lights and driving charachteristics.

If it's really NEEDED... YESSS!!! biggrin

I'd never said it is not useful .These only 2 or 3 reasons are valid reasons .But I consider it as details . really not have priority IMHO .
Even in DCC world , mapping is a new feature ( 2 years on the market ). More and more but not all decoders are allowing functions mapping . ( you also need to run decoders on which this function must be implemented - It probably concerns less than 20% of the Marklin loks world fleet)

I can understand Marklin posponed it ( probably synchronized with the release of DCC software or DCC CS2 - )

MFX locksound with plenty of sounds ...that's only "merchandising" .I've seen some models proposing 26 sound functions...why not 45 or 66 sounds ,etc....no limit ( that's why I find it has relative importance)!

Switching the lights on both directions at the same times actually becomes standard on Marklin loks ( Diesel/electric). no mapping necessary .
That's why I tend to consider acces to "mapping" as a "lesser-evil for imperfect hardware"....biggrin
Offline Fredrik  
#17 Posted : 21 October 2008 16:31:07(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
I agree - it is not really neccessary... Cool and as you say not a priority option for me either.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline supermoee  
#18 Posted : 21 October 2008 18:03:26(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Sure, it is not the highest priority, but with the function mapping you can do a lot of things:

- you can distribute the functions on the screen following your wishes
- you can combine functions together as already described
- you can assign functions to be executed automatically when loco stops or starts. This is very useful together with the shuttle function of the CS. A loco stops automatically at the station, you hear automatically the station announcement. Afterwards the door sound is happening and the whistle and the trains moves automatically. Everything without a PC.

So it is very niche to have. wink

This topic is called "wish list" and not "must have"biggrin

kind regards

Stephan
Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 21 October 2008 19:12:47(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by supermoee
<br />Sure, it is not the highest priority, but with the function mapping you can do a lot of things:

- you can distribute the functions on the screen following your wishes
. wink

kind regards

Stephan

distributing functions on anonymous buttons/touch may be useful ( Ex : with any loco you may be sure that whistle is always on touch number 1 , etc....
On a touch- screen with icons I don't see any interest . (excepted : changing the scenery , changing for changing ).

Quote:
<br />Sure, it is not the highest priority, but with the function mapping you can do a lot of things:

- you can assign functions to be executed automatically when loco stops or starts. This is very useful together with the shuttle function of the CS. A loco stops automatically at the station, you hear automatically the station announcement. Afterwards the door sound is happening and the whistle and the trains moves automatically. Everything without a PC.

biggrin

kind regards

Stephan

.... We are putting passengers in serious danger : they'll hear the same annoucements and sounds as it stops at a red signal and each time you stop it... ! wink
Offline laalves  
#20 Posted : 21 October 2008 19:57:58(UTC)
laalves

Jeehring, we are just talking about personal preferences.

I do prefer to have function mapping and loco editing. To those, like me, who modify decoders, install new motors, etc, then you need those capabilities.

To those who just buy the loks and run them as they are, then they don't need those things.
Offline jeehring  
#21 Posted : 21 October 2008 20:10:56(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />Jeehring, we are just talking about personal preferences.

Of course , we are !
Cool.
But there is one thing : I'll never put my passengers in danger ! [:0]

PS
all I said : : functions mapping = <u>"relative importance"</u> ( and I'm sure it will come a little bit later , with an update . Relax !)

Offline laalves  
#22 Posted : 22 October 2008 00:42:58(UTC)
laalves

Actually, I read that M explained in the roadshows that function mapping was left out on purpose given that "no one used it". From what I've seen here and in stummi, that is not the case.

That's one of the reasons why I'm considering using my CS1 as a slave controller to the CS2 but, if technically possible, keep a totally separate programming track. That way, I will still be able to use its function mapping and loco editing capabilities.
Offline supermoee  
#23 Posted : 22 October 2008 12:07:23(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring

.... We are putting passengers in serious danger : they'll hear the same annoucements and sounds as it stops at a red signal and each time you stop it... ! wink

As I told, this setting is useful with the shuttle function of the CS, and there the loco is stopping only at the 2 end stations. So no danger for passengers. biggrin

kind regards

Stephan
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 22 October 2008 12:22:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Actually, all my passengers stay on the platform, and none of them ever get on the train, so they're perfectly safe.

Seriously, I can see why the "high end user" as I call them, would want function mapping etc, but Marklin is probably right in that, as a percentage of the total number of Marklin enthusiasts, it is probably such a low number that you can say "no one used it".

The whole concept of MFX and Systems is that the user needs to know very little about how things work....Put the train on the track, and the controller tells you what it is, what the functions are, and where to press to make them work.

Of course, the "high end users" like Luis, do a lot more with the hardware and expect sofware tools to be available for this. I suppose a balance is needed between simplicity and sophistication.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline WelshMatt  
#25 Posted : 22 October 2008 14:25:57(UTC)
WelshMatt

The interesting part is that by making it as simple as possible for the newbies (with MFX et al) they actually make the system more complex than it needs to be. With most DCC systems you simply dial in the loco address (most people use the last two or four digits of the loco number) and drive off, no need to register locos and therefore none of the nuisances (such as the MS only being able to store ten locos in memory).

I'd rather Marklin had a simple way to do things like turning down the voltage on function outputs (to use LED lights). Even my sub-£100 Lenz Compact can do that with just a two digit display and a few buttons.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline jeehring  
#26 Posted : 22 October 2008 20:40:29(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring

As I told, this setting is useful with the shuttle function of the CS, and there the loco is stopping only at the 2 end stations. So no danger for passengers. biggrin

kind regards

Stephan

Please , one question :
With Shuttle function : no signals allowed on the line ? ( between two stations?)
Offline supermoee  
#27 Posted : 23 October 2008 17:08:02(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
hello jeehring,

the shuttle function in the CS is too primitive to allow some trains cross each other. How to be sure that the will not crash? You cannot block the pre set routes each other and the CS cannot identify which loco is closing a contact. The safest way is to have a dedicated line for shuttle function to avoid interference.

Hello Lutz,

I cannot understand that you say that coupling tracks symbols are not a must. On the Keyboard it is not optimal too. You see the description of the coupler on the red switch, but not the one on the green. So the only way is to introduce it in the layout.

kind regards

Stephan