Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2016 16:54:38(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Marklin fans,

Please do not laugh at me for this trivial question....Crying

I purchased the Marklin decoupler 24997 to use on my straight track and while using MS2. I have used the manual lever to decouple the locos. I had hard time decoupling the locos and cars which have conducting couplers. While I noticed, it takes a quick tap on the lever to have the coaches decoupled. And I wasnt able to repeat this frequently with success....So, I decided to use the toothpicks. And I damaged a couple of connectors as I was probably using it where I wasnt getting enough lever to lift the locking loops....

Looking at the picture attached, I have been using the toothpick where the red dot is...How would you decouple the cars?

Thanks
VijayToothpick.jpg
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:05:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I'd rather use a wooden ice cream stick or a plastic uncoupler from Roco or Märklin.

The power-conducting couplers are under tension and normally do not work with the uncoupler track anyway.
When uncoupling manually, I normally gently push the coaches together to release the tension - then it is much easier to move the coupler loops up.

See also:
https://www.marklin-user...p-appreciated#post410470
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:06:49(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
2016-05-24_16-05-01.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:10:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Is this going to revive the old wooden hand un-coupler thread again! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline vnangli  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:31:51(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Is this going to revive the old wooden hand un-coupler thread again! BigGrin

I am left confused now...How do you use an Ice cream stick to uncouple?
May be a picture with the Ice cream stick in use would be very helpful...
BigGrin
Thanks again for your feedbacks
VJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:42:04(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Are you moving away the wagon while you are lifting the coupler's tab with the tooth pick?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
#7 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:44:36(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Just in case, the train has to be moving while activating the decoupler track, is that what you are doing or do you have it standing still and just activating the decoupler?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline vnangli  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:56:53(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
Just in case, the train has to be moving while activating the decoupler track, is that what you are doing or do you have it standing still and just activating the decoupler?

I am having the train standing still when I am actuating the lever manually.
Also, I want to decouple while the train is not moving...
Offline vnangli  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2016 18:03:33(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Are you moving away the wagon while you are lifting the coupler's tab with the tooth pick?

I tried that option too...while inserting the toothpick and pull the wagon one way....
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 24 May 2016 19:11:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
I am left confused now...How do you use an Ice cream stick to uncouple? May be a picture with the Ice cream stick in use would be very helpful...

ent8.jpg
Neither Maerklin nor ice cream stick, but the same principle applies.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline vnangli  
#11 Posted : 24 May 2016 19:19:03(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
I am left confused now...How do you use an Ice cream stick to uncouple? May be a picture with the Ice cream stick in use would be very helpful...

ent8.jpg
Neither Maerklin nor ice cream stick, but the same principle applies.

Now is the spoon turned upside down....You will probably be looking around for a baseball bat to beat me up, right???Flapper

No,I got it.Thank you for the picture.
The uncoupler I have works fine with the cars which dont have current conducting connections. It is causing trouble only with the current conducting coupler cars.

Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2016 23:14:40(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
I got this nice uncoupler from an Ebay seller some time ago:

UserPostedImage

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline witzlerh  
#13 Posted : 24 May 2016 23:14:56(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I much prefer the Hagen Daz ice cream sticks. They have a wider flat and are shorter, making it easier to uncouple the cars....and the ice cream tastes much better!Flapper ThumpUp

you reach in and lift up the levers under the couplers.

I know that the conducting couplers will require a little persuasion to separate. Perhaps use conducting grease (commonly used in spark plug boots) to get them to slide apart easier on the uncoupling track.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 25 May 2016 02:22:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would avoid using any metal implement as this can cause a short and can potentially cause damage when used in combination with digital equipment and especially current conducting couplers.
I would recommend using the special tool that comes with each set of Maerklin 7203 couplers (box 50) or Roco 40397. The Roco tool can actually be assembled in two different ways depending on the requirements.
If you are uncoupling stationary trains. I would recommend that you manually pull the two cars apart while using the uncoupler.
Most of the time, I simply tilt one car to the left and the other to the right and the couplers usually release right away.
The other suggestion that I can make is to look at the couplings to see which one is dominant (underneath) and to focus your attempts with the release mechanism on that car/coach, as that is the one that will release the hold on the other coach.

Good luck

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline vnangli  
#15 Posted : 25 May 2016 15:09:07(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Current conducting coupler.jpgClosed coupler.jpgAll,
I am back again...

I am still trying to get my head wrapped around the types of couplers and their compatibility. Attached are the images of the two couplers I was trying to connect. One of them is on the loco 36082 (the current conducting) and the other one on the passenger car 4313 (is this relex or closed coupler?? or NEM??). I was having hard time to uncouple them.

The uncoupler works perfectly when used between Current conducting couplers or closed couplers. But not with a mix of the couplers for which I have attached the images of.

My questions :
1) Am I using a wrong combination of passenger car and loco (because couplers on each of them are different)?
2) Can somebody point me to a list of couplers being used on Marklin (both vintage and current)?

Thanks again for all the help
Vijay
Offline Unholz  
#16 Posted : 25 May 2016 16:16:30(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   

Can somebody point me to a list of couplers being used on Marklin (both vintage and current)?

Something like this perhaps? http://dermodellbahnblog...lungen-tipps-tricks.html
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline hennabm  
#17 Posted : 25 May 2016 19:58:07(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Having the advantage of two WHUs in my possession, I find them very useful and totally recommend one - if you can find one..LOL

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
#18 Posted : 26 May 2016 07:40:42(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   

I am having the train standing still when I am actuating the lever manually.
Also, I want to decouple while the train is not moving...

There you have your problem then, it is designed for you to actuate the track and while activated at the same time you must move the train away or the train has to be running run over the track while activated. If you do manage to uncouple just by pulsating the track when the train is stopped over it you might succeed some times but it is just pure luck. It is not intended to work that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 26 May 2016 09:34:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Current conducting coupler.jpgClosed coupler.jpgAll,
I am back again...

I am still trying to get my head wrapped around the types of couplers and their compatibility. Attached are the images of the two couplers I was trying to connect. One of them is on the loco 36082 (the current conducting) and the other one on the passenger car 4313 (is this relex or closed coupler?? or NEM??). I was having hard time to uncouple them.

The uncoupler works perfectly when used between Current conducting couplers or closed couplers. But not with a mix of the couplers for which I have attached the images of.

My questions :
1) Am I using a wrong combination of passenger car and loco (because couplers on each of them are different)?
2) Can somebody point me to a list of couplers being used on Marklin (both vintage and current)?

Thanks again for all the help
Vijay

The 36082 is equipped with the 72020/72021 type current conducting coupler. The passenger car photo shows a pair of 7203 close couplers, which are not current conducting. To use this car with current conducting couplers, you will have to install the metal guide which conducts electricity from the coupler to the inside of the car and replace the 7203 with either a 72020 or 72021 coupler like the one on the locomotive.

When using current conducting couplers, especially the 72020/21 or other which can be coupled to regular Maerklin type couplers, you have to use caution because the current conducting coupler carries live current from the slider or decoder and some older coaches have metal couplers which are in contact with the metal chassis of the coach and the wheels which would cause a short.

The 72020/72021 couplers function similarly to the 7203. I have found that they can be slightly harder to couple or to disengage than the non-conducting versions. So far, I have used them in a few trains taking power from a slider on one coach. I have not used them to transmit power from the locomotive to trailing coaches.

Most often, when I want to uncouple these coaches, it is to put them back in their boxes. I usually do this by taking one coach in either hand and gently twisting them in opposing directions, which releases the couplers.

If you want to uncouple them but keep them on the track, I would recommend the uncoupling tool that comes with the 7203 coupling box or the Roco 40397 couplers (box).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 26 May 2016 23:47:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Aside from the electrical concerns for track/electronic power, there is no mechanical reason a current conducting short coupler and a non-conducting short coupler should not be able to couple/uncouple as far as I know.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok