Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline commando3  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2014 11:16:13(UTC)
commando3

United Kingdom   
Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me? I'm a newbie here so please be gentle!

I have inherited a layout consisting of two 6021 digital controllers, two boosters and several locos that have decoders fitted.

Everything had been laid up in a loft for a couple of years so was rather dusty but I've managed to clean everything up.

However, I haven't got a clue how to operate the controllers. I don't know the addresses of the locos or how to reprogramme them on the 6021.
A friend of mine brought his Gaugemaster digital controller around and connected it to the layout. We managed to get the locos going . They were on addresses 1 and 2. But when we reconnected the 6021 and entered either 1or 2 - the locos didn't respond.

I've tried looking on the web to find an instruction manual for this system but I'm having no luck. My friend recommended I get rid of the 6021's and boosters and buy a Gaugemaster prodigy but I don't have that sort of cash so I would prefer to stick with this system if I only knew how to use it!

Therefore any help on how to use this 6021, to get the locos moving or even an instruction manual will be very much appreciated.

Ben

Offline GDJTrain65  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2014 13:58:53(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
Offline commando3  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2014 16:26:15(UTC)
commando3

United Kingdom   
May thanks for that information. It gives me an idea of the system as a whole but it doesn't give me any idea how to programme the decoders in the locos etc.
The other links are all dead and it seems I'm not the only one having trouble trying to find a manual.

I'm beginning to think that I should follow my friends advice and sell the 2 units and both boosters and save up for a 2nd hand Gaugemaster Prodigy. I don't really want to go down that route when all i need is an instruction manual.

The layout also has 2x K 86 decoders and 1x K87 decoder wired in. I dont have any idea if these work and I dont have any manuals for these too.

Ben
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2014 17:59:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Ben,

The 6021 is an excellent controller, though a bit long in the tooth now dating as it does from the 1980s.

Operation is very simple. You enter the address of the loco, turn the red knob, and away it goes. Functions are accessed directly from the four function buttons plus the button for lights which has its own off switch. Remember that addresses have to be two digit, for 01 to 80.

Programming instructions for decoders come with the different decoders, not the 6021, so you should identify what types of decoders are fitted in your locos and find the correct instructions for these. Be aware that decoders from different manufacturers have different procedures on a 6021 for programming.

I am puzzled by your statements concerning the Gaugemaster controllers. I was certain that they only worked with DCC decoders, not Marklin Motorola, but perhaps you have DCC decoders fitted in your locos? Could you tell us about your locos? What types are they? Were they factory fitted with decoders or are they fitted with after-market decoders from a different manufacturer?

The more information you give us the more we can help.

I think I still have my 6021 manual somewhere, but it is rather a fat document and would take a long time to scan and send to you. I'll try and find it and see if there are any pages in particular you may find helpful.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline commando3  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2014 12:03:49(UTC)
commando3

United Kingdom   
Thank you so much for your help. I will try again later today to get my locos moving.

The loco's are quite old and opening them up I can see that they have all been converted to run on DCC. The decoders are quite large- not the sort you see in the model shops these days. I took a loco to my nearest model shop and the owner said he had never seen decoders like them before. I'm thinking they could be the Motorola ones you are talking about?

The shop owner put the loco on his DCC test track and the loco ran after he found the loco address. He was using a Lenz controller. The address that he found was the same as the found by my friends Gaugemaster controller.

I'm also beginning to think that perhaps both 6021 controllers are faulty? What are the chances of that?
Maybe I've pressed something i shouldn't have by playing around with it?
I'm not giving up with it and I'll let you know how I get on.

One more question. Could i run a more modern loco with a decider on the layout with this controller once I've worked out how to use it?

Many thanks. Ben.

Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2014 12:17:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Ben,

The 6021 will work with any modern Marklin loco, though you will not be able to use the more recent developments like MFX and you will be restricted as to the number of functions you can access.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2014 16:40:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: commando3 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you so much for your help. I will try again later today to get my locos moving.

The loco's are quite old and opening them up I can see that they have all been converted to run on DCC. The decoders are quite large- not the sort you see in the model shops these days. I took a loco to my nearest model shop and the owner said he had never seen decoders like them before. I'm thinking they could be the Motorola ones you are talking about?

The shop owner put the loco on his DCC test track and the loco ran after he found the loco address. He was using a Lenz controller. The address that he found was the same as the found by my friends Gaugemaster controller.

I'm also beginning to think that perhaps both 6021 controllers are faulty? What are the chances of that?
Maybe I've pressed something i shouldn't have by playing around with it?
I'm not giving up with it and I'll let you know how I get on.

One more question. Could i run a more modern loco with a decider on the layout with this controller once I've worked out how to use it?

Many thanks. Ben.

If the loco runs using a DCC controller then they will not run using a 6021, as that is not a DCC controller.

Gaugemaster market rebadged Prodigy (MRC?) controllers which are also DCC.

Offline commando3  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2014 16:52:44(UTC)
commando3

United Kingdom   
Oh - that explains a lot as to why nothing is happening when trying to use the Marklin 6021 controllers.

I inherited the layout from a relative who sadly passed away. Strange thing is I can remember him using these controllers with these locos. The whole layout is Marklin track connected to these controllers, booster and transformer. There are also some decoders for the points.

Ben
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2014 18:22:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: commando3 Go to Quoted Post
Oh - that explains a lot as to why nothing is happening when trying to use the Marklin 6021 controllers.

I inherited the layout from a relative who sadly passed away. Strange thing is I can remember him using these controllers with these locos. The whole layout is Marklin track connected to these controllers, booster and transformer. There are also some decoders for the points.

Ben

I think you are at a point where it would be good to take some photos of the decoders fitted to the locomotives and the point decoders, so we can see just what you have and possibly help with identification.

Also list the catalogue numbers of the locomotives, it may be that they have been fitted with decoders after purchase.

Are you sure the Marklin controllers are 6021? The reason for asking is that Marklin did also produce a controller for use with Gauge 1 locos which used a very early version of DCC protocol. Are you sure the controllers are digital? A photo of one would help here too.

Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 31 December 2014 18:57:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'd like to point out that there are many types of decoder which are multiprotocol and will work with both DCC and with Marklin Motorola. The fact that a loco works with one does not necessarily mean that it won't work with the other.
Ray
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 31 December 2014 19:18:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I'd like to point out that there are many types of decoder which are multiprotocol and will work with both DCC and with Marklin Motorola. The fact that a loco works with one does not necessarily mean that it won't work with the other.

Agreed, but I think we are at the point of needing some visual information to verify just what has been fitted as decoders.

Only then will we be able to move forward with more advice.
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 31 December 2014 19:55:26(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
https://www.marklin-user...lin-6021.aspx#post354063

Go down to msg #26, I believe the link still works for the English download.

Note, if the decoders have dip-switches (aka mouse-piano) then you cannot change them via the 6021, you will need to open the locos and set by hand.

Check also the setting of the 4 dip-switches on the 6021 itself for correct format.

Hope this helps
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image