Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2013 07:47:47(UTC)
James

Canada   
Cool Greetings one and all:

I just wanted to post my experience with the CS2 smartphone/tablet app (Remote CS 2) currently available at the Android Play store.

After a lot of trial and error, much cursing's of my lack of brain cells, and so on, I did finally manage to get it up and runningSmile

For anybody wishing to try this, I offer a couple of tips. For those who are much more computer savy, please disregard these rambling rantings of a lunatic (ME!)

Step #1 Internet Connection (Very, very, very important)Crying

[in order for this darn thing to work, your CS 2 must be hooked up to a "live" internet connection. Once this is connected, reboot the CS 2 to allow the controller to identify that you indeed do have it connected to the net. This reboot is also required if/when you choose to update your software on the CS 2. Believe me when I tell you that due to my ongoing onset of Alzheimer's , this little factoid was definitely (and stupidly) overlooked. Which at that time made everything from here on in a complete waste of time. Of course, once this situation was rectified, and after many a renewed curse about my stupidity, the instructions from the site (Remote CS 2) made more sense.]

Step#2 (Wireless connection of said phone/tablet with the CS 2 Controller) The fun beginsBlink

[Make sure your Controller IS set to broadcast (this can be found in the set-up menu under the sub menu CAN (click on the wrench which will make the screen change to blue). At the bottom of the screen will be the sub menu which can be scrolled left or right to offer more sub menus. To those of us living in Canada, the title "CAN" in the sub menu does not mean Canadian eh! At this point you will see a number of options (which may or may not vary from Controller version to Controller version). Since my controller was the 60213 with the latest update, I had three clickable options to choose from. Choose/click the broadcast button, if it's not already set to that one. You will now have to reboot the CS 2. In most cases this will get you up and running (don't you just love it when the author says this line, because inevitably, things don't always work out that way, or at the very least, it works for the other guy, not you.]

Step #3 (Or what to do when it still won't connect)

[Okay...if you have followed all of the previous steps and it still tells you that there is no CS 2 to connect to (even though you are looking at the darn thing in front of you) Cursing
You then (hopefully) as well as having the prompt "Select Broadcast on the CS 2", you will have a bunch of numbers separated by dots (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.). To those of us not aware of it, this is what is referred to as the phone's/tablet's IP (Internet Protocol address (again, for those with a good grasp here its not important). However, I'm assuming that there are those out there who are not quite up to speed on this tech talk (or at least, even though I once was, I seem to forget the simplest of things these days). So then... this number refers to the "Target" that the Controller is required to communicate with (Your phone or tablet). After much frustration and greif at trying to track down my smartphones IP address, it was pointed out to me that the number that the Remote CS 2 was referring to was in fact... my own phone's IP (as I said... Alzheimer's). So... to continue. We now have to click on the menu (target address) and type in the devices IP address.]

What happened then, was really weird. After I typed in the required Target, the application came back and informed me that there was no CS 2 in the vicinity Cursing Cursing Cursing

By now you might be tempted to throw the device out the window or in the trash compacter (I certainly was). However, no sooner had I seen the prompt, it quickly (somehow) changed and informed me that, although the target address wasn't in the vicinity, there was a target within 1 number of the last 4 digits of the address (. 67 instead of . 66). My suggestion to any of you who have similar problems... wait a minute because, like the Alberta weather, it can quickly change.

Of course, once there was communication between the Controller and the devices, my world (Marklin has it so right here) seemed a little bit brighter. BigGrin I am so easy to amuse Drool

In closing, let me say that the program does work, although in my case it can be sluggish (probably due to the fact that I only have a 3 gig phone and just at the bare minimum version of the phone's software). If I were using a newer 4 gig device, it would probably work a lot better, but none the less it works, and it's fun to have control of the engines through a wireless set-up. For now, at least until Marklin comes out with their own Android App, I'll stick to using it through my phone. When Marklin does offer up their app for the Android, then I will be buying a tablet, which will offer greater control (two locos), giving me the capability of controlling 8 separate locos (two of them wireless)...

NOW THAT WILL BE COOL ThumpUp

Regards to one and all
James B
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by James
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2013 13:50:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Did you read the review I gave in the previous thread where Clapcott pointed out that the android app was available. It might have saved you some grief.

In your Step #3 setting the tcpip address of your phone for the Broadcast tcpip address is fine until you want to use more than one remote device, such as an iPod with the Marklin app in conjunction with the Android app.

In that case you need to set the CAN Broadcast address to the Broadcast address of the network subnet you are using. This is normally xxx.xxx.xxx.255 if you are using a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. For example, if your CS2 is at 192.168.0.2 and your phone is at 192.168.0.3 and your router is 192.168.0.1, then the Broadcast address will be 192.168.0.255 (assuming a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask). If your subnet mask is anything other than 255.255.255.0 then it's best to ask in the forum for someone to work it out for you.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2013 20:17:36(UTC)
James

Canada   
Cool Thanks for the update David.

I do recall reading the post, it was a great read. When it comes to keeping many of us on the list up to date with these new “toys” there is no one better. It was, thanks to your review, that I went ahead and downloaded the app.

However, as I mention in the post, my computer/reasoning skills these days are not what they once were. Simple things that for many, seem to be a no-brainer, like step #1 (ensuring that there is a connection between the router and CS 2) escaped me, so when I went to initiate the app. it didn't work, which led me down the path of confusion, frustration and grief, but sometimes I'm a stubborn twit and I just have to keep at it.

I just want to provide a step by step explanation to anyone like myself who is struggling with the digital concept. Razz

Regards
James B
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2013 22:01:36(UTC)
Webmaster

Setting it up is quite easy with home network broadcast for the CAN bus, but you do have to have the necessities in place first - Ie having the CS2 and the wireless mobile device connected within the same home network IP range. It is not necessary to have an Internet connection for this, but the devices must be in the same IP address range in your house.

So a home router with cable & wireless is very necessary indeed. Also setting a fixed IP address for the CS2 makes it easier.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2013 22:59:16(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
...... but you do have to have the necessities in place first - Ie having the CS2 and the wireless mobile device connected within the same home network IP range.

I think James diary (or any documented experience) is of benefit to all, however I would hate to have people get the impression that the (issues with) tasks like setting up the CS2 on the Ethernet or connecting ones Smart Device to the WiFi are because of RemoteCS2. The comment about G3 v G4 is also misplaced as it refers to the telephony side of the device not the WiFi.

So any review of RemoteCS2 specifically should be on what it has influence over. Marklins use of UDP Broadcast is something that all smart devices and apps have to try and work with.

Quote:
So a home router with cable & wireless is very necessary indeed. Also setting a fixed IP address for the CS2 makes it easier.

This is something RemoteCS2 does address! Should your CS2 pickup a different IP address from the DHCP server(in your router) then, as long as it is on the same subnet, RemoteCS does attempt to find it and will prompt with message to continue using the new address.

In both these situations I have found the messages that RemoteCS produces to be far more informative and constructive than most.

On the (mobile throttle) product/apps themselves, I will continue to applaud Marko (and Jens, TouchCab) for being prepared to put a product out into the wild and open themselves up for a barrage of complaints (justified or unjustified) and wish list items.

Personally I think the best thing in v1.5 of RemoteCS2 is the use of the Volume buttons to "notch" the speed up and down. This means you do not have to take your eyes off the layout when do those fiddly shunting activities. I am hopeful that a reverse function will be added in a similar way.
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 01 June 2013 23:02:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Personally I think the best thing in v1.5 of RemoteCS2 is the use of the Volume buttons to "notch" the speed up and down.

I agree! ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline 3047  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2013 09:00:29(UTC)

This is something RemoteCS2 does address! Should your CS2 pickup a different IP address from the DHCP server(in your router) then, as long as it is on the same subnet, RemoteCS does attempt to find it and will prompt with message to continue using the new address.

This is true, but, i think, if the adroid app changes its address, you have to go back to the CS2 and change the target address in the CAN Bus settings. So it is maybe a good idea, to go into the router device and change both, the CS2 and the android device adresses to be permanent addresses, so the addresses of those 2 devices never change.
thanks and many greetings
Andreas Keasling
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2013 11:41:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 3047 Go to Quoted Post
......you have to go back to the CS2 and change the target address in the CAN Bus settings.

No you don't, as long as you have set the CS2 CAN Broadcast to the broadcast address for your particular network - see my previous post (using the broadcast address allows the use of multiple devices - RemoteCS2 / Marklin Mobile Station / Touchcab).

Edited by user 20 June 2013 06:22:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2013 05:51:20(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
FYI, Marko continues to tweak his app, and v2 is out with accessory support
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Station_Dooiland  
#10 Posted : 07 December 2013 08:54:19(UTC)
Station_Dooiland

Netherlands   
True,

after sending an email, within hours the change (bug) was made (fixed)Cool .

By the way, thank you all for the oversight off this nice app.

Greetings,

Johny