Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline solentgreen  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2013 11:20:16(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
Hello all,

I am keen on Telex couplers and have been converting some of my locos. with the Marklin 117993 retro fittable Telex coupler. However, I have found significant problems with a very high failure rate with this coupler in that a lot of them lets go of towed carriages - I have written a separate post on this titled 'Marklin 117993 retro fit Telex coupler - Operating problems with Marklin 117993 retro-fit Telex coupler'.

I came across this alternative Telex coupler from Roco - the Roco 125308. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and whether it is compatible with Marklin couplers and whether it works well in practise.

I will be grateful for any advise. Many thanks.

Bennett.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by solentgreen
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2013 11:45:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Bennett,

I seem to remember a discussion about these couplers on the forum in the past. You can try searching.

By the way, wasn't it Soylent green?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline M Gleis User  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2013 12:40:26(UTC)
M Gleis User

Hi Bennet

I'm in a similar Situation than you BigGrin

On my Koef 3 both sides did not work well
and on my 117993 kit only half work ...

So I have a failure rate of 75 %
Anyhow I fixed them by opening the Telex , not easy and introduced the tap to remove the space bewteen the solenoide and the body
now all 3 are working fine

And I aslo purcahsed the Roco for test .. but I need to receive a new XIMo decoder and then I will test

Have a great day

Francois
François
CS2 60214 h/w 4.33 : Firmware : 1.6.4(3) GFP 1.38
Märklin M-Gleis,
Train -Dekoders : Märklin, Zimo
Win-Digipet 2009 Win XP Pro Sp2
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2013 14:48:05(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello,

M must improve their couplers, and I also mean their normal close couplers and not only the Telex. When trying to couple and the couplers are exactly at the same height from track, the coupler loops collide and both rise. The result is no coupling.

It is really good to search how other couplers work. Roco couplers (not the short ones) couple easier but are not so short. Roco close coupler imho are extremely fragile. Fleischmann close couplers do an extremely short coupling with superb look, although they need higher force/speed to couple and for decoupling in 3 rails with the remote controlled uncoupler tracks they don't do it so nice. If Fleischmann couplers had a bar (90 degrrees to the track) instead of a "ball", the uncoupler track in 3 rails could do a much easier job to uncouple.

Back to the thread theme, I think you do very well in testing other brands of "Telex" couplers. I am interested in the conclusion.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2013 15:09:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My experience is that most couplers will work OK if you stick to the same type. I have never had Marklin close couplers uncoupling from Marklin close couplers, or failing to couple, but I have had plenty of problems with non-matching types.

My feeling about the new types of Telex couplers is that they are fine for shunting but not for pulling long trains. I notice that mostly Marklin fit them onto shunting locos, so that's OK.

The older types were much more robust, but could not be retro-fitted easily
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline M Gleis User  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2013 17:16:54(UTC)
M Gleis User

Hello

Beside the qualityMarklin 117993 this part coupling and uncoupling only with Marklin close couplers after my experinece ,and only if the coach is not light
which was for me other reason to investigate the Roco one

I cannot wait to do the test.
François
Märklin M-Gleis,
Offline solentgreen  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2013 18:54:11(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
Thanks to you all for your advise and information.

RayF, yes my forum name is solentgreen. I initiated another thread on the problems I experienced with faulty 117993 couplers which lets go of towed carriages - see link below:-

https://www.marklin-user...o-fit-Telex-coupler.aspx

With respect to your view that these new type of couplers are designed to be for shunting only but not for pulling long carriages, I beg to differ. The reason is that I bought a total of 13 units of 117993 and I discovered that half of them works fine and will tow any length of carriages totally reliably. The others unfortunately lets go of carriages when towing, and it does not matter on the length of carriages towed. If you read through the above thread entirely and download the videos. you will see this. I would say that these faulty couplers cannot be relied upon even to do shunting as it can let go within very short distances when towing. Also, the fact that half of the 117993s I have work perfectly and reliably show that this has to be an issue of faulty production affecting certain 117993s.

Francois, thank you also for replying. Good to know I have company on owning lots of faulty 117993s! Actually, you will see from the above thread that we have company in this regard.

However Francois, I am most interested in that you are able to fix your faulty 117993s. I have some 6 units of faulty 117993s and I would love to know how to fix them. You mentioned opening them up. I have looked closely at a 117993 and I think the only way one can open them up is by taking the top metal flap off and then prising open the cylinder in the middle? Am I right in this? I have attached a close-up photo of the 117993 with the top flap eased up to show the cylinder.
Also, can you please elaborate on how you remove the space between the solenoid and the body? Did you put some packing material between the solenoid and the walls of the cylinder holder? I will be very grateful for you advise here, thank you.

Lastly, I will also be buying a couple of Roco 125308 Telex couplers to try out. I will certainly update you all when they arrive and I have had a chance to test them.

Bennett.

solentgreen attached the following image(s):
117993 close-up - lo rez.jpg
Offline mbarreto  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2013 22:04:10(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

I have never had Marklin close couplers uncoupling from Marklin close couplers, or failing to couple, but I have had plenty of problems with non-matching types.

Hi Ray,

Yes, I agree that once coupled Märklin close couplers don't uncouple. In that they are very, very good, as well as the Fleischmann close couplers. Problem is just in coupling success without hand intervention which should be closer to 100% than it is.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline M Gleis User  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2013 23:40:48(UTC)
M Gleis User

Hi Bennett

Let me share with you this link :

http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73011

I don't if you read german but at laest if you go thru the discussing you will see pictures
study them the tricky part is to open the telex with small cutter

very carefully : since inside you have the solenoide with a small flexible PCB , if the solenoide connection will break with the PCB , they it's difficult resolder again
once I have done but i have Professional Equipement and it was very hard

so if you succeded to separate like on the pictures , you need to fill out with tape the hole which hold the solenoide (0.1 mm 2 times) now rebuilt the telex
the solenoide sits more tighten , and the thing is working reliable.

Tell me if this clear for you
again if you separate the telex without damage 90% of the job is done

Francois
François
Märklin M-Gleis,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by M Gleis User
Offline M Gleis User  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2013 23:43:56(UTC)
M Gleis User

sorry Bennett

I looked carefully to your picture , on this this one separation is not like it should be , but down 1-2 mm where you see the PCB (yellow paper)

Good lookBigGrin
François
Märklin M-Gleis,
Offline solentgreen  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2013 06:14:57(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
Hi Francois,
Thank you so very much for the information you provided. You are right that I regrettably do not know the German language but as the information is so useful, I used online translation sites to work through the whole thread. Thank you again.
With this knowledge, I will certainly try to open up a faulty 117993 to try the repair; even if it may not be successful, it will be good to understand the inside working of it.
One thing, all the contributors to that thread spoke only of the problem of the pin not dropping down after decoupling is actuated so that coupling is not possible. As mentioned, I bought a total of 13 units of these 117993 and only one of the 13 had this problem of the pin sticking in the up position. With this one, the first thing I tried was to apply a little bit of WD40 with a toothpick onto the pin but this did not help in my case.
Of the remaining 12 units of 117993, my main problem is that 6 of them has this other problem of letting go of towed carriages. All these 6 couple and uncouple properly; that is the pin drops freely after uncoupling. Its just that it releases towed carriages at random with no uncoupling signal sent to the 117993. I have done a fair bit of observation and what happens with these 6 faulty 117993s is that after coupling to carriages, and with the pin dropped down to the coupled position (I will even pull on the carriages to check that it is securely coupled), then with the loco. pulling the carriages, after 10 seconds or so, I can see that the pulling tension is causing the pin to slowly work itself up to the top. Soon, the towed trains are released unintentionally. As you can imagine, this can cause collisions so is a significant problem.
Do you know whether the solution of packing the excess space between the solenoid and the body with tape will also solve this problem of unintentional release? I will be most grateful if you can let me know.
By the way, if you read my other thread on this subject, you will know that I am in correspondence with Marklin Service on this issue of poor 117993 production quality. Its good to know that a number of members of the Stummiforum agree that the problem is one of poor control of manufacturing tolerances. I will certainly keep you all posted on Marklin's response to my emails.
Thank you again Francois for all your advise & information; it is much appreciated.

Bennett.
Online river6109  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2013 06:30:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Roco telex coupling:

the uncoupler is alright as Ray mentioned so long you use the same coupling. the Roco telex coupler will pick up all little metal pieces on its way and it can come to a point whereas the coupler doesn't fucntion anymore unless you remove all the bits and pieces from it.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline solentgreen  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2013 08:26:44(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
Hello John,
Thanks for the advise ref Roco Telex coupler's disadvantage with it picking up stray pieces of metal & fouling after a while; I presume this is due to the magnetic field it creates around itself?
Re your point that the coupler is alright if you use the same coupling, are you referring to the Roco Telex or the Marklin 117993 Telex?

Bennett.
Offline M Gleis User  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2013 09:48:17(UTC)
M Gleis User

Hi Bennett

Honestly when I had my failing Telex parts, I do the same by putting a drop of oil on it.
Consclusion this makse the thing worse , since the oil acts like a clue, when it cames with dirt and dust
Like switches i do not recomand any oil . so with Oil the thing was completly stucked I started the open and repair

Now for the problem of unwanted decoupling . When the pin is down there is no reason for this except taht some couplers slide of the locked part
This normally not happne with the Close couples KK of Marklin since they form a slight angle down but this is very commun with plastic Relex one (not even taken the metal into considration which are too high too work with new Telex.)

Now you tell us that you see the pin moving up. For me this can be the prove that solenoide has too much space and therefore the pin don't have exact verticalemant movement. I'm excluding here the fact that I dont know how they are connected to the decoder .. and there so no Electric voltage in some conditions.

Try the repair, to check a good repaired unit and turn in your hand up and down
The pin must fall in out according to Newton law very easilier.

Good luck
François
Märklin M-Gleis,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by M Gleis User
Offline solentgreen  
#15 Posted : 14 February 2013 18:17:56(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
SUCCESS! With the Stummiforum information which Francois kindly directed me to, I managed to open up one of my faulty 117993 Telex couplers (ones that lets go of towed carriages) and line the inside of the solenoid cylinder with insulating tape so the solenoid fits snugly and after re-assembly, it works faultlessly! So this method of repair works for both 117993s where the decoupling pin sticks & does not drop and also where it lets go of towed carriages, as in my case. And as I have a total of 7 units of faulty 117993s, to learn of this fix is really good news. Thanks again Francois.

By the way, I took a photo of the coil and gasket assembly and this is attached. As pointed out by Patrick on the Stummiforum thread, you really have to take care when you remove the coil to avoid breaking the wires. In my case, after carefully prising off the bottom cover with a cutter blade, I used a toothpick to push through the hole at the other side (i.e. the top of the the coupler) and this ease the coil assembly out together with the gasket and connecting wires. The photo is taken after the two are separated.

And to clarify ref the unwanted decoupling affecting my 117993s, I would first confirm that this happens even when coupled with Marklin close couplers. I know and accept that the older Relex couplers do not work with 117993s (it lets go the first time the train goes over a crossing or any uneveness in the track).

By the way, you are absolutely right that the reason why the pin moves up in my faulty units is due to the excess space & clearance in the cylinder such that the coil and pin can move around. What happens is that the variable backward & sideways pull on the 117993's coupling bar as carriages are towed causes the coil and pin to shift around inside the cylinder & it eventually works the pin upward until the coupling bar lets go. And as I do not connect the uncoupling wires to the decoder when I am testing the 117993, there is no possibility that the uncoupling is due to the coil being activated by an unwanted signal or other voltage.

Anyway, thanks again Francois for informing me of this repair. You've put my project to equip my locos. with 117993s "back on track", if you will excuse the pun!

Bennett.
solentgreen attached the following image(s):
117993 disassembled - lo rez.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by solentgreen
Offline M Gleis User  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2013 22:25:03(UTC)
M Gleis User

HI Bennett

This is great news ! I'm glad for you

Enjoy the Telex

Francois
François
Märklin M-Gleis,
Offline kbvrod  
#17 Posted : 15 February 2013 00:09:47(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Offline biedmatt  
#18 Posted : 15 February 2013 13:47:33(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ray,
Yes, I agree that once coupled Märklin close couplers don't uncouple. In that they are very, very good, as well as the Fleischmann close couplers. Problem is just in coupling success without hand intervention which should be closer to 100% than it is.

This has been my experience too. I do not mind it so much on the passenger cars, but for shunting freight cars in a yard, they are most aggravating. I am considering replacing all the close couplers on my freight cars with relex coupler 72060. I know that they will loose that close, tight look, but that does not bother me as much as it does on a passenger car.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 15 February 2013 14:53:22(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Roco's Universal coupler is compatible with Märklin's close coupler, but couples more easily. In my experience coupling works better also when coupling Roco with Märklin.
They do not couple in curves though (neither do Märklin's).

Coupling a Roco Universal coupler with a Märklin Relex coupler will work for some cars, but fail for others.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Ross  
#20 Posted : 03 April 2013 06:12:30(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Bennett/All,

This is a useful topic that I have refered to. Yesterday I had a Telex coupler (type E117 993) which had only been used a few times, fail. Once I managed to get the coupler apart I discovered that one of the fine coil wires was broken. I resoldered the wire and while the coupler was apart I tested to see if the coil had any movement, it did so I cut some electrical tape 2.5mm (W) x 15mm (L) which I found to be just the right size and placed the tape as shown in Bennett's photo. I reassembled the coupler and tested it only to find that the pin sometimes stayed in the up position.

I took the coupler apart and had another close look at the pin and moving weights and didn't like the flash excess on the bottom of the weights. With a fine needle file I removed the flash so the weights were smooth. I also noticed that the weights hinge pin protruded on one side of the main plunger pin. This was an easy fix by pushing in the pin so it was flush fit with both sides of the main plunger pin. I reassembled the coupler and tested it once more and success BigGrin the pin wasn't staying in the up position and the wagons would couple everytime.

Like Bennett I find the Telex couplers very good for interesting operations on the layout. I have done 10 Telex conversions so far and because we now have a solution for the sticking pin problem I'm sure I will be doing some more conversions in the future.

For those interested you can find articles on some of the locomotives I have converted with Telex couplers on my Web pages under the Tips section.
Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Online river6109  
#21 Posted : 09 October 2015 10:10:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: solentgreen Go to Quoted Post
Hello John,
Thanks for the advise ref Roco Telex coupler's disadvantage with it picking up stray pieces of metal & fouling after a while; I presume this is due to the magnetic field it creates around itself?
Re your point that the coupler is alright if you use the same coupling, are you referring to the Roco Telex or the Marklin 117993 Telex?

Bennett.

Roco

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 29 February 2016 21:59:06(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: solentgreen Go to Quoted Post
SUCCESS! With the Stummiforum information which Francois kindly directed me to, I managed to open up one of my faulty 117993 Telex couplers (ones that lets go of towed carriages) and line the inside of the solenoid cylinder with insulating tape so the solenoid fits snugly and after re-assembly, it works faultlessly! So this method of repair works for both 117993s where the decoupling pin sticks & does not drop and also where it lets go of towed carriages, as in my case. And as I have a total of 7 units of faulty 117993s, to learn of this fix is really good news. Thanks again Francois.

Hey, did this repair process ever get written up and documented in english for the benefit of others? A PDF or attached images vs offsite linked images would be best (as Ive found lots of 5-6 year old threads of interest where the posted images hosted on image hosting no longer exist ).

I"m diagnosing telex couplers not engaging or not hanging on on a new Lok I just purchased and it may well be this same issue. I'm not sure a warranty claim with Marklin will resolve the problem if the yield rate of these new telex couplers is so low.

I've just created a PDF and attached it here for others, as a reference. Let me know if the content isn't correct.

Telex coupler repair procedure post.pdf (671kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Danlake  
#23 Posted : 26 March 2016 20:04:29(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Roco's Universal coupler is compatible with Märklin's close coupler, but couples more easily. In my experience coupling works better also when coupling Roco with Märklin.
They do not couple in curves though (neither do Märklin's).

Coupling a Roco Universal coupler with a Märklin Relex coupler will work for some cars, but fail for others.

Hi all,

Iam in progress of changing my Marklin close couplers with Roco universal couplers (40395) on my freight wagons.

For those Marklin wagons that those not have a NEM pocket, but e.g. guide mechanisms, how do you install a Roco universal coupler?

Came across these types, but not sure if they will e.g. fit on older types goods wagon?

http://modellbahnmarkt24...d34876aab9a8b25957238e19

Thanks in advance!

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 27 March 2016 08:42:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
For those Marklin wagons that those not have a NEM pocket, but e.g. guide mechanisms, how do you install a Roco universal coupler?
Guiding mechanism without NEM pocket? Are there such cars?

I don't think there is a general solution. If you ask for specific models there may be specific answers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#25 Posted : 27 March 2016 16:17:33(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Tom,

I was thinking about the older type 4500 product range Marklin freight wagons.

See photo below:

UserPostedImage

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 27 March 2016 17:50:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
I was thinking about the older type 4500 product range Marklin freight wagons.
There is no guiding mechanism with those coaches.

I use Märklin 7205 and the Märklin close coupler with those cars.

You can try 323679 to get a NEM pocket (page is in German):
http://www.schnug-modell...hsel-Kupplung-323679.htm
I haven't tried them, so I do not own experience.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0