Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2010 05:00:39(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Wonder if the team could help me out on this problem. My BR45 (37450) when put on the tracks & power switched on takes off at full speed & cannot be controlled.This is not a MFX loco. I have tried to change the address but it seems no matter what address you put in it just goes flat out. I am using a CS1. There is also no sounds. Can anyone tell me what could have gone wrong & how to repair the problem. Many thanks in advance.
D.A.Banks
Offline TimR  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2010 05:27:17(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Hi,
I would assume that the decoder is at fault... it is probably on the way out.

IF it is the decoder, you need to get a new one to replace it.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2010 11:27:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If this loco has a programmable decoder (without the DIP switches), try doing a decoder reset.

I think on most decoders this is done by writing "08" into CV08. If it works it will set all the decoder variables back to the factory default.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2010 11:45:49(UTC)
H0

Hi, Dave!
DaveB wrote:
Can anyone tell me what could have gone wrong & how to repair the problem.

I presume the loco switches to analog mode and goes running (AFAIK sound is off in analog mode).

Apart from testing it analog with transformer I have no idea.

Is your CS1 upgraded to 3.0.x?
If so, disable M4, DCC, RailCom (at least for a test) or try a different digital controller if available.

If the decoder is defective, I'd go for a PCB from the 37452 with a decoder of your choice (mfx or DCC).

@Ray: ex works, the loco has a decoder with DIP switches.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2010 13:31:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
did you have any short circuit before hand ?.
My locos (60901 decoders) do behave in a strange way sometimes.
another loco triggers a short circuit and a different loco starts running at full speed, in a signal breaking section with the signal being on red.
Sometimes I let the loco run until it comes to its senses and stops and usually does.
Does this make sense ?

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline gachar001  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2010 15:36:23(UTC)
gachar001

India   
river6109 wrote:

another loco triggers a short circuit and a different loco starts running at full speed, in a signal breaking section with the signal being on red.

This would be quite alarming and funny at the same time. Imagine, out of the blue one of your locos decides to just take off...Laugh
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2010 17:25:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
gachar001 wrote:
river6109 wrote:

This would be quite alarming and funny at the same time. Imagine, out of the blue one of your locos decides to just take off...Laugh

Well from an outsider it may be, not when you're seriously try to run trains and suddenly, apparently for no reasons a loco takes off.
automatically you think what have I done wrong, has the signal gone to green, have I touched anything I should'nt have, so your mind goes from one thought to another while the train is already half way up the track.
In my case it was very annoying, it took me a long time to set the locos breaking delay to the right speed and you do this several times to make sure the breaking distance is the same everytime so the switch track can release the next train.
You also have to make sure, the pickupshoe is not sitting on the switch track otherwise your relais is still active and will not be able to switch the next command.
so you finally got everything under control, you set up your video camera and start shooting and suddenly you see in the view finder a loco that should'nt be running.
Yes this is very funny, of course it is in hindsight.BigGrin.
It's only a game.

regards.,
John

Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2010 01:27:00(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Thank you all for your replies.My CS1 is a factory upgrade model only. The Decoder on the locomotive
has dip switches. Have tried to reset CV8.The loco stops while this procedure is been carried out and then takes off at full speed. I do believe that this decoder is actually cactus. What do you guys reckon?.
D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2010 02:18:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
DaveB wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.My CS1 is a factory upgrade model only. The Decoder on the locomotive
has dip switches. Have tried to reset CV8.The loco stops while this procedure is been carried out and then takes off at full speed. I do believe that this decoder is actually cactus. What do you guys reckon?.

Dave,
You would of wasted your time of resetting the decoeer (CV 8).
take all the locos off and let your loco run freely and see what happens without touching anything. Have you got a MS ? or an older regulator/transformer and run it analog ? and see what happens.

regards.,
John

Edited by user 09 January 2010 10:11:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2010 05:52:32(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
John, I placed the loco on the track & lifted the driving wheels clear of the track & it ran a furious pace. I fiddled with the dip switches & got a range of results for example when toggle switch No 2 was set to "on" the loco stops & the fire box light will come on & sounds appeared. Now I have some sounds & lights forward & still runs out of control.However when the reverse knob is depressed the lights try to change over & there is an audible noise on the board & the CS 1 flicks to stop. I have to change the direction of travel & touch the gear to get it to go again & away it goes in forward at full tilt. So to sum it up,dip switch 1-3-8 is on to give address 45 & when switch on will run flat out forward with some sounds & front lights. To reverse creates a short & the CS shuts down.
D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2010 10:10:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
DaveB wrote:
John, I placed the loco on the track & lifted the driving wheels clear of the track & it ran a furious pace. I fiddled with the dip switches & got a range of results for example when toggle switch No 2 was set to "on" the loco stops & the fire box light will come on & sounds appeared. Now I have some sounds & lights forward & still runs out of control.However when the reverse knob is depressed the lights try to change over & there is an audible noise on the board & the CS 1 flicks to stop. I have to change the direction of travel & touch the gear to get it to go again & away it goes in forward at full tilt. So to sum it up,dip switch 1-3-8 is on to give address 45 & when switch on will run flat out forward with some sounds & front lights. To reverse creates a short & the CS shuts down.

Dave,
Is it still under warranty ?
If not, take the housing off and see if you find any loose wires or wire(s) touching another circuit.
Have you tried it without the CS1 ? Analog
I would'nt try to run it again with the CS1

regards.,
John
Offline Dave Banks  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2010 00:17:20(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello John, got hold of a mobile station & the tests were the same. It has a dead short when reverse is applied & still runs at full throttle in forward. Had a good look for loose or pinched wires & naught to be found. I guess I need to find a new decoder & that also is another problem as it is no longer available. The loco is long time out of warranty & the painful part is it is hardly used. Mostly for display. I may have to look at fitting a LokSound V 3.5 decoder & trying to work out a way to couple up the pcb boards to operate the LED lights etc.
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 10 January 2010 01:04:16(UTC)
H0

Hi!
DaveB wrote:
I guess I need to find a new decoder & that also is another problem as it is no longer available.

I'd go for the PCB of the 37452. It has a 21-pin connector for the decoder of your choice.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#14 Posted : 10 January 2010 01:47:00(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
It is recommended that you get the PCB from 37452 as well for a tidier conversion. This will make it easy should in the future you need to change the decoder - you don't have to desolder and solder everything back.

Marklin part number is 112281 - Euro 15 RRP

Then you will only need a Loksound that comes with a 21-pin plug.

Good luck..
Offline Dave Banks  
#15 Posted : 10 January 2010 03:19:54(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Tim, many thanks for your prompt reply. That is an excellent idea & I will tell you why. Had one of those Precision craft BR01's that just wont run & is as fragile as one can get. So I decided to removed the decoder which is a 21 pin LokSound decoder & works well & can be reloaded. So if I manage to get the part you mentioned, I think I am home & away. Do any of the forum members have any more suggestions before I go ahead & order?
D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 10 January 2010 03:59:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
It still concerns me that the loco has a short when reversed.
Although it is obvious the decoder is faulty from your description of trouble shooting.
What guaranty have you got that the same will not happen when you plug another decoder into it ?
I still would search for more clues (e.g. wires, PCB, etc. etc.) why the loco shortens when reversing, before going ahead of installing the decoder.
Does the loco shorten when the housing or boiler is off ? Have you got a multimeter ?
Otherwise I can't give you any better advise as Tim pointed out

regards.,
John
Offline Dave Banks  
#17 Posted : 10 January 2010 08:16:05(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello John, I have gone over this loco with a fine tooth comb & the PCB has no exterior signs of a blown component, no smell of burnt circuitry or loose or pinched wiring and/or otherwise visual problems. I can only think of a problem with an internal part of that PCB. The short circuit when change over of direction occurs does make me want to investigate it further. I am also asking if any one has one of these original boards that they wish to part with if they have converted this loco to the latest version namely the # 37452.
D.A.Banks
Offline AshleyH  
#18 Posted : 21 January 2010 11:05:49(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
I'm a bit late arriving at the party, however, before assuming it is the control board or the decoder, can I suggest removing the decoder only and connect the motor functions to another loco. For a brief test I do not think you risk damaging a motor in another loco. As the 45 has a motor with a bell shaped amateur the control board should be adapting the decoder to the correct driving characteristics. Do you have another loco with a bell-shaped armature for testing?

I have been looking at the exploded parts diagram on the Maerklin.de website, the good news is that all the parts are in stock, apart from the motor itself. As is typical Marklin practice, the sound decoder is listed with it's part number 219574, but it's price and stock status are not shown.

Link to exploded parts diagram:-
http://www.maerklin.de/s....php?artikelnummer=37450

In my experience the failure of a decoder of this type would be extremely unlikely, I therefore go with the theory of a short or failed component elsewhere in the loco. One possible caulprit could be the light/sensor board in the loco itself Part No. 219531. This part is No.20 on the exploded diagram, and is Euro 14,95. So, particularly if it is not possible to test the decoder board in another loco, I may be tempted to try this part first before more expensive components.

I hope this is of some help.
Best Regards
Ashley

Edited by user 28 January 2010 03:50:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 21 January 2010 17:08:00(UTC)
jeehring

I agree with John when he says : " I still would search for more clues (e.g. wires, PCB, etc. etc.) "

I'm far to be sure that your decoder is out.
I remember one thing : it tooks several days for me to understand and find that the insulation of one cable was slightly "grazed" and each time I put and screw the body on the chassis it was making a short...(this scratch on the plastic insulation was so small and almost invisible)
Depending on the chassis is with or without the body, the positionning of some cables changes sometimes...(so when the loco is "opened" you don't notice anything...)

Test it on analog also....as said John
Take the user manual of the Lok, Re-read and re-set the dip swithches carefully on another adress (and if they are some : different settings)....
If it happens to me , I should do my best to find a correct way to re-initialize the decoder....
Offline Dave Banks  
#20 Posted : 26 January 2010 12:16:16(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Ok, Jeehring & Ashley, you have convinced me to go back to the drawing board. I will run more tests on this loco firstly in analoge mode with correct address settings & then the motor separately with another decoder & then hook up this decoder to run another loco. I will also pay special attention to the lighting board you made mention of. I will come back soon with the results. Watch this space Confused
D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#21 Posted : 27 January 2010 05:35:21(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I have removed the lighting board & retested the loco with same results. I then placed the loco on an analog track & could control the forward direction & speed.I then removed the loco from the track & clicked the knob to reverse the direction of the loco. I replaced the loco on the track & that is when a component got really hot. Normally it would trip the controller but this is is not the case with the older controllers & so reverse direction was not attained but I fear now that the component is now really cooked as it cannot operate in forward direction any more & just creates a dead short. I have taken a picture of the board with the faulty component that has a white paint mark on it. Hope this works.

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
Offline nevw  
#22 Posted : 27 January 2010 06:01:43(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Helping daveB post a Picture.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 27 January 2010 13:47:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
When you see the spaghetti wire arangement, no wonder a short could accur.
the white spot you've marked, what coulour wires are connected to it ?
You've got a damaged decoder and which is now visible.
by reversing your loco either your light function (doubt it)but your motor connections must have a short somewhere.
a previous members post suggested to try the decoder onto another loco (bell shaped motor).
for a decoder to fail you have three reasons:
a,) wiring problem from the decoder.
b.) wires are touching each other on the decoder, (look at the solderpads and see if the wires are bare or if the insulating cover is as close to the soldering pad.
c.) internal malfaunction (rare).

As I said before, if you change the decoder for a new one you could find yourself in the same position and would spit chips spending more money for nothing.
If you can't find the short, if it is out of warranty, you should seek a professional person who is certified to repair locos unless you are prepaired to spend good money for no results.
Tell me the colour wires (from faulty electronic component) and I may can shed more light onto the reason this decoder has failed.
One wire coming from the failed electronic component looks like "red".
Have a look and see if the connection on the pickupshoe is ok and also your brown wire.

John
Offline Dave Banks  
#24 Posted : 27 January 2010 23:56:09(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
John, many thanks for your reply. The wires from the faulty electronic component are Blue & green & go directly to the Maxon motor. The thick red wire from pick up shoe is all good.The other thin red wire goes to the smoke unit.All wires checked & no issues there.The brown wire goes to earth on the other board below the motor. Before I install new decoder I will as a matter of course replace all wires.All that now remains is to test the motor separately which I will do today.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline AshleyH  
#25 Posted : 28 January 2010 02:50:48(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
The component you have highlighted on the decoder board is a Mosfet, on a decoder board such as this you have one Mosfet for forward motor control and one Mosfet for reverse motor control (the identical component to the right of it in your photo).

I have had one decoder in an LGB loco fail in a similar way. It would run backwards but not forwards.

You mention that your analogue controllers are old, this can be a problem. Later MFX decoders can be cooked by the reverse pulse on older blue analogue controllers. I have not heard of this being a problem on your older decoder type though.

Now the good news is that Mosfets of the type on your decoder can be replaced. On later MFX decoders this is not possible because the decoder circuit is much smaller and VLSI, so the decoder itself is ruined.
For LGB decoders, Massoth Electronik do board level repairs. I do not know the name of the supplier for this decoder to Marklin, perhaps others do? You would need to find an electronics person who can identify the correct Mosfet and has the facilities to do surface mount soldering. The Mosfet itself will be only pennies/ a few cents.

I wonder if someone on here can put you in touch with the decoder manuacturer or an electronics firm that can replace the Mosfet for you. Under a magnifying glass, are there any markings on the Mosfet chip? The College I work at in the UK has surface mount soldering capability in it's Electronics department, because we were going to repair one of my LGB decoders, but we ended up getting it swapped under warranty. So Colleges or Universities may be able to help if you have any contacts.

I am still concerned as to what made the Mosfet fail in the first place though. Did your problems begin under digital operation, or could it have been caused by your analogue controller?

Ashley
Offline applor  
#26 Posted : 28 January 2010 04:37:19(UTC)
applor

Australia   
its a 6090x decoder, not MFX in the 37450.

I wouldn't buy a new decoder yet Dave, as Ashley said you should be able to just replace the component and will cost next to nothing.

If you can read any info on the IC and google it you should be able to find specs and source a compatible replacement.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline river6109  
#27 Posted : 28 January 2010 05:02:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Dave,
Ashley wrote:
I am still concerned as to what made the Mosfet fail in the first place though. Did your problems begin under digital operation, or could it have been caused by your analogue controller?

And this is exactly my concern also.

the moment you use older transformers, the reverse voltage is higher than the digital component (mosfet) can absorb.
Go back and think what you've done in the past.
For us to figure out what can or could be the course is harder than for you to figure out what you've done or perhaps by mistake, should'nt have done.
We've informed you of the possible reasons this decoder does'nt work anymore, if it has any connection with an older transformer using it in analog mode, we or you don't have to go any further.
You and us would of identified the most logical reason for the decoder to fail,
For other Newcomers or members, oblivious of the reasons, always try to give as much information as you can.

e.g. the following suggestions of providing details:

Catalogue Number: e.g. 39100, 69200
Producer: e.g. Märklin, Roco
Voltage: AC DC
Digital or Analog
Photos as clear as possible
When asking for spareparts: use the manufacturer website( e.g. http://www.maerklin.de/de/), if not in english ask further questions.
Search google: if no luck ask further questions.

regards.,
John

Offline Dave Banks  
#28 Posted : 28 January 2010 12:39:22(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Guys, many thanks for all your input on this subject. The problem happened while in digital operation & loco just took off on the layout with no control. Had been running fine up till that point. The analog bit was just to follow out the tests you guys suggested. System used is CS1.It has been suggested to me that I should just get another type of decoder for this loco as to replace / repair it could be a costly affair. I truly would like to put my finger on the cause of it but I just cannot see anything that I have done that may have caused this decoder to fail. In hind site the analog test maybe I should not have carried out bust what did I have to loose as I believed the decoder to be faulty in the first instance. That analog test may be the nail in the coffin for that decoder now.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline RayF  
#29 Posted : 28 January 2010 13:24:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Dave, I don't think it's anything you've done. I have had a similar FET driver go on me on a 6090 decoder. The loco would only run in one direction. I replaced it with a standard 60902 decoder, and it's been fine since. If it had been something I'd done it would have blown the new decoder as well, or any one of my many other digital locos.

Sometimes electronic components fail for no reason. I have seen many instances in the past.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 28 January 2010 13:59:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Dave,
We've all done what you've done: nothing wrong.

It is frustrating not to find an obvious fault and searching to find a fault is also frustrating
I stick with my statement of being cautious and hopefully as Ray describes it, you will not be bitten twice.
When there is a distinctive disformation or discolouring on this electronic component, to me it looks a short or overcurrent has occured.
It may be the fault lay somewhere else, it may had nothing to do with the decoder, seing you cannot move the loco forward or backwards.
the original fault, may have had nothing to do with the decoder.
I have had many, many hours of "assuming" where the fault lied and realigning the silent Roco Slider without any results. It alsways stopped at the same spot (tunrout).Ive lifted the pukos up, I did this and that for hours, no result.
the culprit was a carriage (electrotren) further down the line and it shortened the circuit because of a wrong wheel gauge (double switch)

so to say it was always the decoder, is preempting your thoughts to one object.
You haven't clearly stated how you tested the analog version of events.
Was there an old tranformer involved ?
It is up to you and you only what you believe has been the cause for your loco not to work porperly.
All the suggestion have happened, whether or not they've happened in that order with your, loco has to be seen.

Good Luck and lets hope we'll have a "Hurray" post soon,

regards.,
John

Offline Dave Banks  
#31 Posted : 29 January 2010 05:25:08(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello John,I will keep you up to date with what I do with this loco. I will most likely get the board from the Bellingrodt edition 37452 & put a 21 pin LokSound V3.5 decoder in it. Just have to check what speaker it uses as this will most likey be different. Loksound decoders use 100 ohm speakers from memory. This seems my cheapest option as I have the decoder lying around out of a Precision Craft BR01. As for the transformer used for the analog test it was the small "blue" 10 VA transformer. Watch this space for further updates.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 29 January 2010 09:56:21(UTC)
H0

DaveB wrote:
As for the transformer used for the analog test it was the small "blue" 10 VA transformer. Watch this space for further updates.

I also have two small blue 10 VA transformers. Nominal reversing voltage is 23 V (while it's 24 V for most M* transformers). Volt meter shows 30 V when reversing.

I don't think that this reversing voltage can be harmful for the MOSFETs (as the motor is off when applying the reversing voltage).

Modern ESU decoders are specified for max. 28 V.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#33 Posted : 29 January 2010 14:08:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Dave,
Is your loco still under warranty ?

Now we have a better picture what has happened, to a certain degree.

Your loco must have some problem with reversing, nothing to do with decoder.

I would, when you get your other 21 pin adapter plate, look at your motor>wurm gear>cogwheels>siderods.

You've blown your decoder (could easely replace it > mofset).

Suggestion:
the next time your loco does'nt work, ask someone before you start getting yourself into an avalanche of thoughts and assume whats wrong with the loco.
As Ray mentioned the possibility is there but very rarely for a decoder to fail.
For us to get a much better picture, you have to try to give as more information the mext time.

How long you've had the loco, is it still under warranty, how was it delivered ? have you just taking it out of the box, has it been standing long.

This is your first post.

When you look at this post and look at the follow ups you can see it has turned the wheel a bit.

Wonder if the team could help me out on this problem. My BR45 (37450) when put on the tracks & power switched on takes off at full speed & cannot be controlled.This is not a MFX loco. I have tried to change the address but it seems no matter what address you put in it just goes flat out. I am using a CS1. There is also no sounds. Can anyone tell me what could have gone wrong & how to repair the problem. Many thanks in advance.

In my time, I suppose, I've taken 10.000 locos apart and you become aware of things but You still have to take each loco on its own merits, what is acually happening.

Offline Dave Banks  
#34 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:41:49(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Well it appears that the Maxon DC motor #212527 or #256947 is also now faulty or was the cause of the problem in the first place. Motor won't run initially unless I assist it by helping the gear along with my finger. New board fitted & new Loksound decoder fitted. Can control speed of motor but not very well even if tweaked in the CV area to Maxon spec's. I now need to find either a new or used motor. This is not available from Marklin service dept. Red light against that item & huge price for whole assembly. Any ideas on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Dave...

D.A.Banks
Offline TimR  
#35 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:50:31(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
DaveB wrote:
Well it appears that the Maxon DC motor #212527 or #256947 is also now faulty or was the cause of the problem in the first place. Motor won't run initially unless I assist it by helping the gear along with my finger. New board fitted & new Loksound decoder fitted. Can control speed of motor but not very well even if tweaked in the CV area to Maxon spec's. I now need to find either a new or used motor. This is not available from Marklin service dept. Red light against that item & huge price for whole assembly. Any ideas on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Dave...

That sucks! I hope it doesn't turn out that way..

If you need a new Maxxon motor; don't buy one from Marklin... that one is way too overpriced!

Get one from Sb-modellbau instead:
http://www.sb-modellbau....577&cPath=256_27_136

Good luck
Offline Dave Banks  
#36 Posted : 08 February 2010 00:54:03(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Tim, well that is a whole heap cheaper than Marklin who don't have any stock of this item. I definately give it a go. I tested the motor via a 9V smoke detector battery & once I got it running by tweaking the gear at the end of the motor. It runs with a rumble & vibration. I am truly very disappointed with Maxon DC motors. One would have expected better from the Swiss manufacturers. I also read on this forum how someone's "Mak" diesel locomotive motor seizing up to the point he could not turn the motor by hand & that too was a maxon motor. I say bring back the good old reliable Marklin motors that are affordable to replace if a problem occurs & not with a Euro 99,95 price tag.Angry

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline TimR  
#37 Posted : 08 February 2010 02:01:59(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
If I were to guess, Marklin might put #212528 as not available temporarily, as they wished to reserve their current stock to make the new 37453.

One of the reason that Marklin motor is more expensive is because they forced you to buy the gearbox along with the motor. I think SB-modellbau only provided the motor only (I might be mistaken) - so make sure the gearbox is ok before ordering.
Offline Dave Banks  
#38 Posted : 08 February 2010 12:34:41(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Tim, Gearbox looks all good to me. I will order that part from that dealer as soon as I worked out how to sign up.Are you a member of the Marklin club in Auckland there in Onehunga? I know a few over there into their Marklin.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#39 Posted : 18 February 2010 12:17:23(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
This is the reply I got from "Maxon Australia" regarding my request to purchase a motor directly from them:

Thank you for your enquiry. The 256947 motor you have has been superceeded. As far as we can tell the new motor 286229 is identical, although the terminals are slightly longer. The winding spec is the same. The new motor also has 4 fingers on each brush instead of 3 to improve the life and provide more consistant commutation..

Please see attached drawings, the old and new versions. I have asked for prices as this is not a catalogue item. It would need to be ordered from Switzerland for you and the delivery is typically 4-6 weeks currently.

Let me know if the motor is suitable and I will provide you with a formal quotation by email.

Can you advise me your address and a contact number. Thanks!

Kind regards

Jon Pippard
Sales and Applications Engineer
D.A.Banks
Offline TimR  
#40 Posted : 18 February 2010 13:27:24(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
DaveB wrote:
This is the reply I got from "Maxon Australia" regarding my request to purchase a motor directly from them:

Thank you for your enquiry. The 256947 motor you have has been superceeded. As far as we can tell the new motor 286229 is identical, although the terminals are slightly longer. The winding spec is the same. The new motor also has 4 fingers on each brush instead of 3 to improve the life and provide more consistant commutation..

Please see attached drawings, the old and new versions. I have asked for prices as this is not a catalogue item. It would need to be ordered from Switzerland for you and the delivery is typically 4-6 weeks currently.

Let me know if the motor is suitable and I will provide you with a formal quotation by email.

Can you advise me your address and a contact number. Thanks!

Kind regards

Jon Pippard
Sales and Applications Engineer

Interesting news... Thanks for posting this.

Owners of Mikado, BR05 streamlined, and BR59 should also be benefit from this development.
Offline audiopip  
#41 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:50:25(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Dave,

Jon Pippard from maxon Australia here. I wouldn't like to say the motor caused the fault, seems unlikely, but certainly the motor could have been damaged if it was over speeded/over loaded or had an excessive AC ripple current applied to it.

Generally all our motors are reliable, within the bounds of the price point. As I say Marklin buy thousands of these motors and as it is designed for a consumer item, cost is always an issue. In your case the offer was to build you one to order and as I explained that does not help the pricing. All our motors are still manufactured in Switzerland and maxon has a high reputation amongst industrial users, in particular robotics and medical.

We supplied the motors for both the Mars landers...although NASA paid a bit moreBigGrin

Can I suggest, if there is a demand for these motors, you get a group purchase together and order 50 or 100, then the cost will be significantly reduced.

Drop me an email if this is attractive. Thanks!
Offline David Dewar  
#42 Posted : 24 February 2010 12:36:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Can I say well done to somebody from the trade taking time to post here and give us an explanation.
Thank you.

David Dewar
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline audiopip  
#43 Posted : 25 February 2010 01:11:54(UTC)
audiopip

David Dewar wrote:
Can I say well done to somebody from the trade taking time to post here and give us an explanation.
Thank you.

David Dewar

Hi Dave, Thanks for the compliment, its always nice to get some positive feedback!

To elaborate, the maxon DC brushed motors have a rotating winding which is self supporting, basically it is constructed from copper wire and epoxy only, no iron poles. In a 16mm diameter motor the wire is very fine indeed, not much more than a human hair. If the motor is overloaded for any reason, even momentarily, there is little thermal inertia and nothing to support the winding, which will quickly get very hot. It this point the torque forces will cause the winding to collapse slightly and it will go out of round. Then it will touch on the magnet assemply. The motor is scrap.Cursing

If the motor is dissassembled the overheating is immediately apparent, because one or more sections of the winding will be 'toasty' brown.

Our brushed motors are constructed like this because it gives exceptional efficiency (no iron loss) and very low rotor inertia, but I have to say, for a model application where, as we all know train crashes can happen even on the best organised railway, a brushless type motor, our EC series, might be more suitable.

The EC motors are made 'inside out' compared with a brushed type, so we have a rotating magnet and the windings are bonded into the outer casing which acts as a magnetic return and the body of the motor. In an EC motor the winding is supported AND in direct thermal contact with the casing, so thermally much more capable in an overload. The downside is that an external controller is required to commutate the motor. Hall effect (magnetic) sensors are used to provide rotor position to the controller. Note, 'sensorless' controllers are available (they detect the motor back EMF)but these are not good for fine low speed control. Of course this is now a whole new ball game, more complication and more expense. But it is a very effective solution and the one used by most high quality servo drives, not to mention model planes, helicoptors etc etc.

Guess the point I am trying to make is that IMHO it is a choice of technology, rather than a quality issue here...plus some bad luck!
Offline river6109  
#44 Posted : 25 February 2010 02:02:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Would it be fair to say the motor in question (BR 45) is not suited for model trains ?
It happened to me, although a different cause (not overloaded, e.g. blue Transformer)with a Märklin Red Arrrow (3125, 3126, 3127)(DC motor) and it was stopped unintentionally in front of another loco, it did'nt de-rail, so no short occured, the motor could'nt turn because it stood in one spot.

Ole
Offline TimR  
#45 Posted : 25 February 2010 03:18:08(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
audiopip wrote:

...a brushless type motor, our EC series, might be more suitable.

The EC motors are made 'inside out' compared with a brushed type, so we have a rotating magnet and the windings are bonded into the outer casing which acts as a magnetic return and the body of the motor. In an EC motor the winding is supported AND in direct thermal contact with the casing, so thermally much more capable in an overload. The downside is that an external controller is required to commutate the motor. Hall effect (magnetic) sensors are used to provide rotor position to the controller. Note, 'sensorless' controllers are available (they detect the motor back EMF)but these are not good for fine low speed control. Of course this is now a whole new ball game, more complication and more expense. But it is a very effective solution and the one used by most high quality servo drives, not to mention model planes, helicoptors etc etc.

Thanks for your contribution btw... makes this a very interesting topic indeed.

The description of this EC motor; brushless design, the need for external controller; seems quite similar to a Marklin Sinus motor.

Would the EC-type motor work well in our MRR application?
And can it fit into the space made for the stock standard Maxon DC brushed motor that we usually find in our models?
Offline audiopip  
#46 Posted : 25 February 2010 10:44:39(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Folks,

Couple of issues here..

Any motor will be damaged if it is stalled and too much current applied. I think we have an extreme case here because Dave's speed control FET had failed so I am assuming the motor saw a larger than normal current and or voltage.

I suspect the old style 'iron rotor motor' might be more robust, but then will have a limited number of poles, more friction etc etc and so the fine control will not be there.

I guess the issue is where does the 'serious' model market start and the 'toy' market end. The precision models perform better but are more delicate.

The EC motors are available in sizes which in theory would fit model loco's, the smallest catalogue EC motor 250101 is 6mm diameter. The issues would be

1) these motors tend to be long and thin, the 6mm motor is 21mm long. We do have some 'pancake style motors, EC 9.2 flat, which are more like a aero modeller motor, with an 'outrunner'. This motor is available as a 9.2 mm diameter, which is only 12.5mm long, rated 0.5W BUT because of the construction these motors have an element of 'cogging' ie torque ripple, which may not be ideal for a small train system. Having said that they do have a larger inertia because of the outrunner construction. The standard EC motors have no cogging effect. Basically the EC Flat motors are like an old school DC brushed motor, but the armature stays fixed and the magnet rotates around the outside. The armature winding are sequenced electronically and the outor rotor has 4 pole pairs in the case of the EC 9.2 flat pt no 370445.

2) You would need a sophisticated controller to get smooth motion at low speed. I am not familar with the Marklin Sinus motor, but it would be an EC (electronically commutated) type I would imagine. I assume Sinus refers to the controller which will use a pwm technique in conjuction with a micro controller to put a 3 phase sinusoidal current on the winding, thereby minimising torque ripple. You can drive these motors with square waves (block commutation) and they run, but the torque contains a ripple component, again not good for modellers.

You can see the products at http://www.maxonmotor.com.au

Cheers!
Offline river6109  
#47 Posted : 25 February 2010 10:55:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Cheers, I know its not your real name nor is it your forum name.
besides this, I realy appreciate your input and letting us know what is on the market and in your specific case: maxon motors.
Have you had any experiences which range of decoders are used for these motors,

regards.,
John
Offline audiopip  
#48 Posted : 25 February 2010 23:41:15(UTC)
audiopip

Hi,

I declared who I was in post #41.

No experience of electronics for model trains, sorry!

Jon Pippard
maxon motor AU
Offline Webmaster  
#49 Posted : 25 February 2010 23:44:02(UTC)
Webmaster

Very nice to have a real motor expert onboard, you are warmly welcomed Jon. ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline audiopip  
#50 Posted : 26 February 2010 04:00:41(UTC)
audiopip

Hi,

That is very kind of you. Unfortunately I cannot say I am an expert on train motors, but I'm working on it!

Regards

Jon Pippard