Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bayer  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2008 13:15:06(UTC)
Bayer

Hi all,

Yesterday I were visiting one of my favorite Märklin dealers. They got the whole basement filled up with old and used Märklin. "Unfortunately" (if you look at the price) I felt in love with a near mint TT 800 with the original box.

My question is then: how do I clean the gears and rods without damaging the paint, and how do I clean the shell? Normally I use benzine to clean the gears and remove oily dirt, but i don´t want to make experiments with the wheels and rods on this expensive loco. So if some of you have a good cleaning-tip, I would like to know.

Picture:
UserPostedImage

(I can post more pictures of the loco later today or tomorrow, if want me to do it.)

Thank you for reading.

Thor

Offline M Neilson  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2008 13:56:49(UTC)
M Neilson

Of course we want to see more picturesbiggrin
Offline Caplin  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2008 16:28:36(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bayer
<br />..."Unfortunately" (if you look at the price) I felt in love with a near mint TT 800 with the original box.
Yes, more pictures please. If the first picture is representative for the whole loco I would say that you have a good job in front of you (not so "mint"). I know the feeling when one comes across a "must have" item. [:p]

Hopefully you will get some helpful answers shortly. Keep us posted with before/after pictures. wink
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline pa-pauls  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2008 16:46:49(UTC)
pa-pauls

Why not use normal Q-Tips to remove the dirt confused

If the dirt is sitting really hard use some Zalo or alike on the Q-Tips wink
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Bayer  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2008 17:52:39(UTC)
Bayer

Many thanks for the tip Pål. It worked. I just wanted to make sure, that I could use something, that not would damaging the paint.

Here are some before/after pictures:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Later today, when the loco is up and running, I'll post some more pictures.

Thor
Offline pa-pauls  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2008 18:40:35(UTC)
pa-pauls

Nice Thor Smile

Waiting for more pictures [:p] biggrin
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Bayer  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2008 20:21:42(UTC)
Bayer

Here are some pictures:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Together with two of my "Ganzmetallwagens", 334.3 shell and 324.4.

UserPostedImage

The TT 800 is a very strong engine with a very low gearing. I've tried it on a little oval lay-out, and it pulls many wagons without driving slower. But it's funny, nothing seems to beat my passenger loco SK 800 in pulling-power, not even locos like the TT 800 which is made for pulling a lot of freight cars.

Thor
Offline Caplin  
#8 Posted : 31 July 2008 22:18:45(UTC)
Caplin

Hi Thor.

Thanks for the pictures. Congratulations with a fine engine. It looks really heavy duty. I understand you "fell" for that. I did not know that a TT 800 is also a BR 86. I love tanklocos myself. I have a couple of 85/86's.

However looking at picture 2 and 3 the body seems to be tilting to the side with respect to the wheels and track. Are you sure it is assembled correctly? [:I]

Is the loco in its original state (i.e running analog I presume) - I see the original M-track pieces - or do you run it digitally on another layout?
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Caplin  
#9 Posted : 31 July 2008 22:44:52(UTC)
Caplin

Oh - them good ol'days.

Look at picture 2. The "62,-" written on the label to the left of "TT 800" is probably Danish currency (that would compare to appr. 8,50 EUR)!
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 31 July 2008 23:03:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice chassic engine.Smile

Congratulations, Bayer.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bayer  
#11 Posted : 31 July 2008 23:10:53(UTC)
Bayer

Thank you for the comment.

After you wrote about the tilting on picture 2 and 3, I looked at the loco, and it was just fine. The reason why the loco is tilting, is that the track is very used and the box isn't horizontal.

The loco is in its completely original state, even with the original wires and reverse unit.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Right now at this monent, I don't have a lay-out, because I don't have enough space available. I'm mostly collecting old Märklin from before the sixties, and I want to keep them in their original state. It Breaks my hart to see old vintage Märklin from the beginning of the fifties digitalized.

Thor

Offline Bayer  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2008 23:23:08(UTC)
Bayer

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Caplin

Look at picture 2. The "62,-" written on the label to the left of "TT 800" is probably Danish currency (that would compare to appr. 8,50 EUR)!

A god guess, but it is west German d-marks.

UserPostedImage

The picture above is from 1953 from the Märklin "Haubtkatalog". My TT 800 is the last version made (54-56). It's funny to see, that the SK 800 almost had the same price as the TT 800.
Offline Caplin  
#13 Posted : 01 August 2008 01:25:05(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
<br /> It Breaks my hart to see old vintage Märklin from the beginning of the fifties digitalized.
..True words from a genuine collector. wink I respect that.

I myself is quite the opposite. I want to play with my trains, and that means that I enjoy seeing any loco running smoothly with lights on even when stopped and reverse direction without flashing front lights when the reverser unit is activated. So digitalizing is the thing for me. I actually enjoy very much the work involved much assisted by members here.[^]CoolCool
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline drstapes  
#14 Posted : 01 August 2008 02:34:57(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
What a wonderful engine, thanks for the pictures.
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 07 October 2008 20:45:06(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello Thor
I was looking at the pictures and noticed your TT800 was missing the light inversion mechanism
If you care to know what it looks like , let me know, I'll take a pic from my own TT.
Kind regards
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Bayer  
#16 Posted : 08 October 2008 22:48:54(UTC)
Bayer

Yes, that would be great to see the light inversion mechanism.
I have a question: Why was it necessary to use a "Schleppschalter" on the first versions of the MS 800, TT 800, CCS 800 etc., when on later versions like my TT 800, the change of light direction, is working through the reverse unit? Has it something to do with a difference between older and later reverse units?

Regards
Thor
Offline intruder  
#17 Posted : 09 October 2008 00:48:51(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very good, Thor.

I normally use a dish washing soap and an old toothbrush when I clean locomotives.
After the cleaning I rinse with as warm water as I can handle.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Renato  
#18 Posted : 10 October 2008 21:15:05(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Quote:
<br />
I'm mostly collecting old Märklin from before the sixties, and I want to keep them in their original state. It Breaks my hart to see old vintage Märklin from the beginning of the fifties digitalized.

Thor

Hi Thor,

I agree 100% with you as If I want to have a digital model I buy it new (for example the E103) and do not modify my original E03 of the 70s.

Bye

Renato
Offline seatrains  
#19 Posted : 11 October 2008 08:08:39(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
I agree with you. I use warm soap & water, but I am gentle and I always test a small area on the outside. For the under the body shell, I have been more aggressive using a toothbrush. I have also have had good results (again testing a small area) polishing very gently the shell and wheels, with the cotton buffing wheel on my dremel.
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 11 October 2008 09:14:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Great pictures and a great find Thor. Where is the dealer you purchased this from?
Offline Bayer  
#21 Posted : 11 October 2008 10:52:30(UTC)
Bayer

Thank you all for your advises.
The dealer, where i got this loco from, is called "Togcenter Gentofte", and lies very near Copenhagen, the capitol of Denmark. www.togcenter.dk
It is a fantastic dealer, with a lot of used Märklin. Not that long ago, I bought a 354.2 "Gepäckwagen" there.

UserPostedImage

Regards
Thor
Offline WelshMatt  
#22 Posted : 16 October 2008 11:21:09(UTC)
WelshMatt

I've had considerable success with those ultrasonic cleaners for old chassis - just put them in with warm water and a squirt of washing up liquid and run the timer. It works well on bodyshells too, but make sure that the painted segments aren't touching the inside (stand it upright on the base of the tank in the middle) as it could scratch them slightly if the ultrasonic vibrations move the part against the base or sides.

It worked very well on an old Hornby Dublo loco of similar vintage to this, cleaning all the crud of fifty years of carpetbahns out without needing me to dismantle the chassis. I then simply rinsed with plain water, left it in the airing cupboard to dry, and re-oiled. It runs very smoothly on the test stand and just needs proper track for some exercise.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality