Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gkar  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2009 03:57:13(UTC)
Gkar

I believe this may have been asked before a while back, can one use M track for a digital system, ie, digital trains and, possibly, some way to digitally control the turnouts and such? thanks!
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
Offline tekin65  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2009 05:54:51(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gkar
<br />I believe this may have been asked before a while back, can one use M track for a digital system, ie, digital trains and, possibly, some way to digitally control the turnouts and such? thanks!

In principle; yes, you can.

But in practise M tracks are not the best for modern locos. They are made to run on new C or K tracks, AFAIK tested on C tracks too. Most modern locos have fewer traction tires making it harder to grab the M track which have a slimmer contact surface.

You'll have to add decoders to your switches. They are not made for this so modification required to install them.

All in all, it is a cumbersome thing. My first layout was M but because of all these problems, I'm switching to C.

Mind you that these are all my personal experiences, others might have different and positive things to say about M with digital.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2009 06:22:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I made sure I used new or near new M track. I replaced a lot of older track with newer M track. I haven't had any problems with the new generation of locos, I even got the Big Boy to go around the layout, curved turnouts and all.

Otherwise, the answer to the question is yes.
Offline tekin65  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2009 06:24:41(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
David hi,

Just out of curiosity; how do you manage your switches? Have you installed decoders or do you use the good old blue boxes?

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2009 07:40:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Cem, I use the Viessmann 5211 decoders, which are similar to the Marklin K83, but with the added advantage of being able to be powered from a separate transformer.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2009 09:16:43(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I agree with Dave, so long as the track is in good condition it is no problem at all.

There are many misconceptions about digital control, and the type of track is one of the misconceptions that many people have.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2009 09:32:49(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Randy.
My new layout is being built using only M track.
Most of it will be digital,with one section left as
analogue,to run my older Loco's on.
Ian.
Offline Gregor  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:03:38(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />Just out of curiosity; how do you manage your switches? Have you installed decoders or do you use the good old blue boxes?
I manage the switches with k83's, which I could purchase cheap due to a large discount at a shop that gave up MRR and switched fully to remote controlled cars and planes. Elsewise I probably would have chosen Viessmann as well, just like Bigdaddy, for the same reason.

For M-track, there is no decoder available to be used inside the switch itself, I believe C-track has that possibility.

My modern loc's run flawlessly on the old M-track, I'm convinced that a well laid M-track is just as reliable as K or C. It just needs a bit more attention to lay it well, and sometimes needs some correction with plyers at the rail ends to make all transitions smooth.

Digital operation is not an issue at all on M-track.

Good luck & have fun,
Gregor

Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:17:31(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The uneven (and older) M-track can easily be adjusted with a hammer. Works like a charm! ;-)
-And bad conduction of power can be helped with additional power-feeds.

But... The MAIN problem with M-track (IMHO) is the difficulties in making detection-tracks; Isolate one side of the rail, and use it to switch funtions. -Or in the digital world to connect to the S88´s.
Even in my analog layout this is a big problem with M-track.
(-and NO; the "schalt-gleise" is not an option!)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:18:30(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />You'll have to add decoders to your switches. They are not made for this so modification required to install them.

As mentioned you can use external k83 decoders for M track switches - no problem for a permanent layout and cheaper anyway.

Switch decoders that can be installed in a switch are nice for floor layouts, but are more expensive.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:25:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gregor
<br />For M-track, there is no decoder available to be used inside the switch itself....

Not quite correct. There are no commercial decoders that fit inside M track switches AFAIK. There is a DIY decoder design for M track switches made by Dr Konig (http://home.arcor.de/dr.koenig/digital/eweichde.htm). The problem with those will be trying to obtain the Motorola chip, if you can still get it, that is.
Offline Gregor  
#12 Posted : 06 November 2009 12:28:39(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hxmiesa
<br />But... The MAIN problem with M-track (IMHO) is the difficulties in making detection-tracks; Isolate one side of the rail, and use it to switch funtions. -Or in the digital world to connect to the S88´s.
Even in my analog layout this is a big problem with M-track.
(-and NO; the "schalt-gleise" is not an option!)
The old predecessor of the schalt-gleise had an isolated section. In my previous (analog) layout, I used many of them and also made them myself. (See last post in https://www.marklin-user...lt.aspx?g=posts&t=1114).

Now in my digital layout I use current detection of the central rail, connected to the S88. Schematic is also in the linked thread.

Best regards,
Gregor

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline Gkar  
#13 Posted : 06 November 2009 15:35:15(UTC)
Gkar

Thanks, everyone, so much for your help, I am looking to put together with my son a nice christmas layout that would be permanent/work-in-progress and have a large selection of M track with turnouts, bridges, lights, etc. much more goodies than I have with C or K track, although they probably would be a more preferred track!
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
Offline Soest  
#14 Posted : 06 November 2009 18:16:13(UTC)
Soest

I used M track to extend my C track layout. This requires the C adaption tracks but it worked quite well. I used manual M turnouts.

cheers
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
Offline Tex  
#15 Posted : 07 November 2009 00:21:36(UTC)
Tex

United States   
I am building a large digital layout with M track and 6021 control unit and keyboard units. Tests with train control are good with both new and old engines. One problem is that the k83 decoders do not have enough " kick " for double slip switches but work well for other M turnouts. Have install some 7039 semaphore signals but am soon to test a 76391 light signal . Has anyone any experence with these on M track.

Tex
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tex
Offline Dreadnought  
#16 Posted : 07 November 2009 05:19:15(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have been experimenting with the digital Ms on my old M track layout for the last three months. My switches are all manual.
I think it depends on the locomotive. Some have no problem and are a delight. Others seem more sensitive, and have certain pieces of track they dislike where the go dead. They then need a push with the "0 5 0". Bit by bit I am replacing the "dead" track with newer M track.
The curved switches seem to derail some locomotives. I am considering doing away with curved switches. Double slip switches are not a problem. Three way ones seem to be dead spots though do not derail.
Old switches from the late 1950's, (my originals), do not seem to be a problem.
Offline LionelMPC  
#17 Posted : 08 November 2009 01:40:52(UTC)
LionelMPC

My layout I'm building is also all M track, controlled with a 6021. I had a few spots here or there that acted up, but a little tweaking and replacing a few pieces and everything seems to work well now. I originally had a double slip in my plan, but after finding all of my small locos stalled on it I removed it. No problems with any of my curved turnouts, and I have no experience with the 3 way.

I had a couple of spots where the rails didn't join at the same height, and if a hammer didn't work, I filed it down slightly so that they lined up and it solved my problem.

-James
Offline Gkar  
#18 Posted : 08 November 2009 02:46:12(UTC)
Gkar

as far as using M turnouts, how would one control them? got the wires coming out, route them to a blue box, or is there a better control method? thanks
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 08 November 2009 12:46:39(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gkar
<br />got the wires coming out, route them to a blue box, or is there a better control method?

You can use a k83 turnout decoder to control them digitally.
Not a "better method", but a different method. One method for automatic layout operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dreadnought  
#20 Posted : 18 November 2009 05:05:54(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I just got my CS 2. At the same time I did away with curved switches, except on some dead end sidings. With the more powerful transformer, part of the CS 2 purchase, dead spots sem to have been eliminated. I have also replaced some of the older tracks where locomotives hesitated.
The 610 pendolino now breaks the sound barrier. I am glad of the Marklin deep flanges.
In short M track seems to work very well in digital.
The balance of the roster is in to be converted to digital. I may splurge and have some of them given sound too.
I am a convert.
Now to build a small analog layout to run some old favourites I do not want to convert.
Offline Brakeman  
#21 Posted : 18 November 2009 05:34:52(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Randy,
if you already have bunch of M track, don't wait. Get working on your holiday layout this weekend, you and your son will have a lot of fun.
Our holiday layout lasted until June, when we needed to pack it for moving. We run digital locos mostly on M track with two Mobile Stations and control the swithes with "blue boxes".

BR,
Juha
http://share.ovi.com/users/brakeman
Offline tworail  
#22 Posted : 18 November 2009 06:26:50(UTC)
tworail

I am planning on running newer digital trains on my M track layout with 6021 as well(under construction) but doing the following:

Putting as many feeder tracks and isolation as possible for different sections of the layout.
Having enough transformers/power ie powering switches from separate transformer.
Using as new as possible M tracks, or only very good condition
5200 series switches only with small lantern
screwing the track down and ensure connections between joiners, tabs are as best as possible.
Cleaning all M track of any oil residues with a brush and alcohol.
Test, test, test :)
Offline ksor  
#23 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:27:31(UTC)
ksor

--&gt; tworail
"screwing the track down and ensure connections between joiners, tabs are as best as possible"

to be sure digital power is on every single peace of track you could solder wires to "every single peace" and connect them to a common feed cable - I (nearly) do it this way in my layout (I have wires soldered to every 3 peace of M-track) and it works very well.

With a good solder you CAN solder wires to M-tracks !

I had some very rusty M-tracks and I did clean them by sanding with very fine "sanding paper" (I don't know if it's the right term !) and they are as good as the new ones I have.

My turn outs I have cleaned with "methyl-alcohol" and to dry them I use compressed air - they are shifting as new ones - the 5128-crossing is too biggrinbiggrinbiggrin !

No problems combining "running digital" and M-tracks in my point of view.

KSor,
Denmark
Offline Ian555  
#24 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:54:57(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all
I'm also building my new layout using only M track.As said before,
lots of feeder tracks,taking care when laying tracks,carefully check
all track pieces before fitting them.
This brings me on to another question,bought myself a mobile station,
60va transformer and C track "ugly box" connector.(more from e-bay).
How do I connect this up to my M track without using the C track box?
Thanks.
Ian.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 19 November 2009 11:02:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Ian, you can't, unless you buy the 60111 connector box.

To use the ugly box, plug the MS and transformer into it. Take the red and brown wires off from underneath the track of the ugly box and connect to your M track feeder piece in the normal way.
Offline Ian555  
#26 Posted : 19 November 2009 11:35:31(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,
I do not have the parts deliverd yet,so I can just do away with the ugly box and section of track and connect directly to M track,or keep
the box and connect that to M track?
Thanks for your help.
Ian.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#27 Posted : 19 November 2009 11:55:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You need to connect the ugly box to the M track. As I say, take the brown and red wires from the terminals underneath the ugly box rails, and connect those to your M track feeder piece.
Offline Ian555  
#28 Posted : 19 November 2009 12:28:20(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,
Thanks,I'm sure when I get the parts in front of me it will make more sense.Will let you know how I get on.
Ian.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#29 Posted : 19 November 2009 12:36:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Ian, on underneath every piece of C track there are two terminals, one for a red connection, the other for a brown connection. This means that every piece of C track can be used as a feeder track. These terminals are also underneath the piece of C track that the ugly box is mounted to. You can take wires from those terminals to your M track, the ugly box basically becomes a converter that allows you to hook a MS to M track.
Offline Ian555  
#30 Posted : 19 November 2009 12:55:54(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,
Hopefully it will arrive in the post tomorrow (Friday).I'll see if I can connect it up then.
Thanks.
Ian.
Offline tworail  
#31 Posted : 19 November 2009 17:25:20(UTC)
tworail

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ksor
to be sure digital power is on every single peace of track you could solder wires to "every single piece" and connect them to a common feed cable - I (nearly) do it this way in my layout (I have wires soldered to every 3 peace of M-track) and it works very well.

This is a very good idea, thanks. I might just have the patience to do it :)
Offline Gkar  
#32 Posted : 19 November 2009 20:57:42(UTC)
Gkar

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Brakeman
<br />Randy,
if you already have bunch of M track, don't wait. Get working on your holiday layout this weekend, you and your son will have a lot of fun.
Our holiday layout lasted until June, when we needed to pack it for moving. We run digital locos mostly on M track with two Mobile Stations and control the swithes with "blue boxes".

BR,
Juha
http://share.ovi.com/users/brakeman

Thanks, Juha, for the encouragement! After our holiday Thanksgiving, Michael and myself will get right to work!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#33 Posted : 19 November 2009 22:25:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tworail
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ksor
to be sure digital power is on every single peace of track you could solder wires to "every single piece" and connect them to a common feed cable - I (nearly) do it this way in my layout (I have wires soldered to every 3 peace of M-track) and it works very well.

This is a very good idea, thanks. I might just have the patience to do it :)

I know a few people who recommended you do this.
Offline Ian555  
#34 Posted : 20 November 2009 11:53:12(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,
Got the starter parts this morning.Had look at the C track with the red and brown wires.Will just connect them to my M track.
Thanks again for your help.
Ian.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#35 Posted : 20 November 2009 12:40:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Good one Ian! Make sure you don't have any capacitors in your feeder tracks as they are not required for digital use (only analog use). They can interfere with the digital signal.
Offline Dreadnought  
#36 Posted : 22 November 2009 05:15:48(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have divided my M track digital into 25 different blocks. I use the 72740 control box. With my old tin plate cars, and home made wired 7077 kighting I have lots of shorts. This way I can isolate where the problem is and fix it
The track and switches work very well now that I have the more powerful60052 transformer.
Offline hxmiesa  
#37 Posted : 23 November 2009 17:44:39(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gregor
(See last post in https://www.marklin-user...ult.aspx?g=posts&t=1114)

Thanks! It is interessting.
The track-sections I need (14 of them) spans 3 track-sections, but your solution might work... At least nothing would be lost trying ;-)
(Ooops, my Dremel died a couple of weeks ago...)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline disavelo  
#38 Posted : 22 December 2009 13:46:53(UTC)
disavelo

I use M-tracks for digital train running without problems. Concerning turnouts (Weichen) I have installed original Märklin K73 decoders in a few (they fit perfectly and are quite easy to install) but mostly I use the external Märklin K83 decoder.

Best regards.

Søren
Offline TheVoid  
#39 Posted : 21 December 2012 18:57:24(UTC)
TheVoid

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Not quite correct. There are no commercial decoders that fit inside M track switches AFAIK. There is a DIY decoder design for M track switches made by Dr Konig (http://home.arcor.de/dr.koenig/digital/eweichde.htm). The problem with those will be trying to obtain the Motorola chip, if you can still get it, that is.

Has anyone used the Dr Konig decoders recently?
Would those work with any controler?

Thanks
Void
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 21 December 2012 19:18:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TheVoid Go to Quoted Post
Would those work with any controler?
Dr. König's decoders should work with any controller that uses the MM protocol for turnouts (MS2, CS1, CS2, ECoS, IB - and probably several others, too).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline TheVoid  
#41 Posted : 21 December 2012 19:34:58(UTC)
TheVoid

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Dr. König's decoders should work with any controller that uses the MM protocol for turnouts (MS2, CS1, CS2, ECoS, IB - and probably several others, too).

Thanks Tom

I'm still considering the options.

M Track is much cheaper but I would need to build and install the Dr. König decoders.
I'm not sure if the cost is worth it. Maybe I should stick with C track.
Offline H0  
#42 Posted : 21 December 2012 20:22:59(UTC)
H0

For permanent layouts, the k83 decoders can be used. So it makes a difference for floor layouts only (and M track is no good choice for floor layouts when there are pets or children around).

k83s can also be used for floor layouts, but the wiring is somewhat impractical.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Yumgui  
#43 Posted : 21 December 2012 20:56:37(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Great thread ! (just found)

Concerning general "bus" wiring for a 3 track M-track layout planned in anticipation to go from analog to digital while recycling old transformers, here is one solution (which I'm still testing ...), proposed by Tim Eckert : see pics below ...

Any feedback on this from one and all would certainly be helpful ... ^^

Y Cool
Yumgui attached the following image(s):
Visio-Trafos_Analog+Digital_2011-10-09_Page_1.jpg
Visio-Trafos_Analog+Digital_2011-10-09_Page_2.jpg
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline TheVoid  
#44 Posted : 23 December 2012 03:44:52(UTC)
TheVoid

Portugal   

The k83 decoders sound simpler. Maybe I can find a way to build them :)
If I had the money I wouldn't bother.

Offline H0  
#45 Posted : 23 December 2012 06:17:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TheVoid Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I can find a way to build them :)
You can buy them as PCB plus parts or assembled PCBs.
Check the prices for Viessmann 52111 (16 through 22 Euro for 4 turnouts). DIY can hardly be cheaper.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Nielsenr  
#46 Posted : 23 December 2012 08:06:16(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Also check LDT for K83 and K84 kits as well as others ...

Merry Christmas!!

Robert