Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kbvrod  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2011 14:51:30(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

From www.drehscheibe-online.de

Here a very fresh information from Märklin:

Exchanging Booster Booster 60 174 60 173 in

A technical detail of the Marklin model railway technology was for years the use of a common return wire for all applications. The so-called mass rail was a common reference potential, both for running and for the solenoid circuits. With the introduction of the Central Station 60213 Our technicians have abandoned this principle. From that date was for the Central Station and Booster set 60 173, the call for the return conductor may not be permanently connected to each other. Both the outward and the return line had therefore to be separated at the transition between different service areas. This demand has in many model railroaders, however, led to confusion. Many circuits that are based on a system of common ground could now be used only limited. For a non-technical as the resulting obstacles were not to see through many times. A fact that we had with the introduction of new technology certainly wrongly assessed. 60 174 with the booster so the amendment was withdrawn. This device is so constructed that the common ground can be used as the return line back. It uses an electrical isolation, these connections between the units is prevented. The current Central Station comes complete this isolation. To our customers who are still using the previous 60 173 booster to provide an opportunity also for your system, the principle of the common return conductor reintroduce we exchange for recognition as a goodwill gesture without any legal claim the booster 60 173 in the current version 60174th In other boosters (6015 or 6017) this exchange is not necessary.

Another product information:
The booster 60 174 60 173, in contrast to the booster be used in future with the new switching power supply 60 101 with a maximum output of 100 VA.

Important:
The common ground refers to all supplies that are directly connected to the rail. Switching power supplies or transformers to the power supply to the Central Station or the booster purposes may not be associated with the additional rail mass, otherwise the internal processing of the digital voltage is shorted. Therefore, these devices may only be for the supply of these devices are not used to supply any other loads on the model railroad. A device without galvanic separation may remain in the future in the overall system. Therefore, a replacement of the Central Station or 60 214 60 213 not necessary and is therefore not done by us. We want to emphasize that the current technology is at the booster 60 173 no shortage. It concerns with the exchange operations, a voluntary performance of our company in order to harmonize the technology used to achieve.

For further questions please contact us Monday to Friday from 10.00 bis 18.30 clock clock by calling 09 001 608 222 available.

Greetings
Stephan

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Drongo  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2011 09:29:12(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
WHAT ?????? Cursing

I thought this was an English site. Mellow

Yes, the preferred language is English - but what's your point? The previous posting is in English...! (although it seem auto-translated) /FS

Edited by moderator 30 March 2011 12:59:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline kbvrod  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2011 15:43:07(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Yes,it is auto-translated.I thought it was important news and posted it here.Smile

Dr D
Offline Fredrik  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2011 20:38:46(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi,

I think you're right it's a very important newsflash. It's also confirmed on at least one dealer site (in Germany). Now all I want to know is how to proceed with the exchange so I can change mine...
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline laalves  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2011 02:17:22(UTC)
laalves

Here's the English version of the communiqué:

"Dear Madam/Sir:

This technical newsletter deals with our current digital system. Exchange of the 60173 Booster for the 60174 Booster.

The use of a common ground for all applications has been a technical detail of Märklin's model railroad technology for many years. The so-called rail ground was a common ground for train operations as well as for solenoid accessory circuits.

Our technicians made a departure from this guiding principle with the introduction of the 60213 Central Station. Starting with this point in time the requirement was made that ground connections for the Central Station and the 60173 Booster should not be connected with each other continuously. The hot as well as the ground connections at the transition between different power consumption areas therefore had to be separated.

This requirement led to irritation among many model railroaders. Many circuits that were based on the system of a common ground were now only usable under certain limitations. For a non-technician or a lay person the hurdles resulting from this were in many cases impenetrable. A factor that admittedly we evaluated incorrectly during the introduction of the new technology.
This change was therefore rescinded with the 60174 Booster. This unit is designed so that the common ground can be used again as a ground return in the track. Galvanic separation will be used for this. Galvanic separation will prevent undesired connections between the individual components. The current Central Station will also come from the factory with this galvanic separation.

We are exchanging the 60173 Booster for the current 60174 version in a goodwill gesture so that customers still using the earlier 60173 Booster will have the possibility to reintroduce the principle of the common ground on their layouts. We are doing this exchange without recognition of any legal claims. This exchange is not necessary for other Boosters (6015 or 6017).

Naturally, this exchange program also applies to stocks of the 60173 Booster that you might still have in your shop.
When your customer comes to you with one or more 60173 Boosters, please handle it as a warranty claim and sent these units to our repair department in Göppingen. We will send you exchange units in the next product shipment to you.
One more product note: The 60174 Booster, in contrast to the 60173 Booster, can also be used in the future with the new 60101 switched mode power pack with its maximum output of 100 VA.
Important: The common ground refers to all power supply units that are connected directly to the track. Switched mode power packs or transformers used to supply power to the Central Station or the Booster must not be connected directly to the track ground also, since otherwise the internal format of the digital voltage will be short-circuited. Therefore, these units may only be used to supply power to these components (Central Station or Booster); they must not be used to supply power to other users on a model railroad layout at the same time.
A unit without galvanic separation can also continue to remain in the total system. For that reason it is not necessary to exchange the 60213 or 60214 Central Station and such an exchange will not be done by us.
We would like to emphasize that the earlier technology in the 60173 Booster does not represent a defect. The issue here is an exchange program done voluntarily by our company in order to achieve a harmonization of the technology being used. We would be happy to answer additional questions Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 6:30 PM (Central European Time) at our telephone number."

Perfect! My two boosters will be on their way to Märklin this week!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by laalves
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2011 03:04:06(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
good news indeed. Its great to see a company back off a silly idea and correct a poor decision in public. Kudos to them!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mvd71  
#7 Posted : 31 March 2011 05:51:10(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
good news indeed. Its great to see a company back off a silly idea and correct a poor decision in public. Kudos to them!

Yup, that crazy idea came from ESU didn't it? And its great to see marklin looking after their customers so well with this offer.ThumpUp

Cheers....

Mike.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#8 Posted : 31 March 2011 10:25:18(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Any official pm on Märklin home site about this exchange Confused
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline laalves  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2011 11:58:08(UTC)
laalves

Nothing in the website but this is not April's Fool day yet...

https://files.me.com/laalves/vf6dbj

https://files.me.com/laalves/5djsad
Offline kbvrod  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2011 18:54:40(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

Yup, that crazy idea came from ESU didn't it? And its great to see marklin looking after their customers so well with this offer.ThumpUp Cheers....Mike.

That was the problem.

Dr D
Online David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2011 20:12:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Yup, that crazy idea came from ESU didn't it? And its great to see marklin looking after their customers so well with this offer.ThumpUp Cheers....Mike.

That was the problem.

Dr D

Must be soon we can finally be rid of ESU and its stuff. At least Marklin are standing up and doing something positive.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 31 March 2011 22:17:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yup, that crazy idea came from ESU didn't it? And its great to see marklin looking after their customers so well with this offer.ThumpUp

That's crazy talk!

I can't see how 60173 requiring galvanic isolation of the ground as well as the live as being ESU's fault. 60173 was designed to work only with the CS2, it never was able to operate with any of the ESU era products (CS1). 60173 is a Marklin design, ESU had no involvement.

And I don't see any reference in any of the ESU documentation that the Ecos or Ecosboost require ground separation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos to Marklin for correcting their mistake.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2011 23:16:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
60173 is a Marklin design, ESU had no involvement.

AFAIK this is correct.

ESU is to blame for the Godot booster (60172) and the CS1 (60212), but blame Märklin for 60213ff and 60173f.

The new 60214s have the insulated PCB, the old 60214s don't.
With #60215 you can be sure to get the new PCB.

A free exchange programme - that's Märklin as we know it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 31 March 2011 23:24:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Good that Marklin can stand up and be counted in this case. With the new items now made elsewhere and the firm making them not trying to compete in the model rail market ( at least I hope not) then in the future we should have a good system providing Marklin keep a close watch on the quality and keep improving the product.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mvd71  
#15 Posted : 01 April 2011 01:29:35(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   

That's crazy talk!

I can't see how 60173 requiring galvanic isolation of the ground as well as the live as being ESU's fault. 60173 was designed to work only with the CS2, it never was able to operate with any of the ESU era products (CS1). 60173 is a Marklin design, ESU had no involvement.

And I don't see any reference in any of the ESU documentation that the Ecos or Ecosboost require ground separation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos to Marklin for correcting their mistake.

What I was referring to was the galvanic isolation. Didn't that concept come in with the CS1?
Offline kbvrod  
#16 Posted : 01 April 2011 01:45:55(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
To put it,....gently,....ESU Fouled up!Common ground is the beauty of 3 rail.Cursing
That is all.Blink

Dr Dirt
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 01 April 2011 02:00:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
What I was referring to was the galvanic isolation. Didn't that concept come in with the CS1?

I've been using my CS1 with a common ground for years...
Offline mvd71  
#18 Posted : 01 April 2011 03:41:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   

I've been using my CS1 with a common ground for years...

With a booster?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 01 April 2011 07:35:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Nope. With other transformers.
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 01 April 2011 07:42:47(UTC)
H0

CS1 has no galvanic isolation.
CS1 has no "common ground" (in the old sense), CS2 has no common ground.

CS2 and 60173 required insulation of all rails - AFAIK this concept was new to CS2 and 60173, and with 60215 and 60174 you can have "common outer rails" all over your layout.

And AFAIK you can have "common outer rails" all over your layout, too, when using CS1/ECoS with ECoSBoost boosters.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 01 April 2011 09:34:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
And AFAIK you can have "common outer rails" all over your layout, too, when using CS1/ECoS with ECoSBoost boosters.

And I don't read anything in the ESU documentation that says that you can't do this.
Offline mvd71  
#22 Posted : 01 April 2011 22:30:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

CS1 has no galvanic isolation.
CS1 has no "common ground" (in the old sense), CS2 has no common ground.

CS2 and 60173 required insulation of all rails - AFAIK this concept was new to CS2 and 60173, and with 60215 and 60174 you can have "common outer rails" all over your layout.

Sorry, it was the common ground thingy I meant to refer to, not the galvanic isolation.
It was with the intro of the CS1/MS1 that we could no longer have a common ground (at least that's what everyone told me at the time).

Anyway, Marklin have put the issue right which is great for everyoneSmile

Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 01 April 2011 23:27:50(UTC)
H0

Anyway, Marklin have put the issue right which is great for everyoneSmile

There still is no common ground between "digital" transformer/power supply and track, neither with CS1 nor with CS2, neither with MS1 nor with MS2.

But 60215+60174 can now be used with M track with centre rail insulation only.
CS2 60213+60173 introduced the requirement of outer rail insulation.

Took 'em some time to get it right. Should have been right in the first place, so they wouldn't waste money on a booster exchange programme.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 02 April 2011 02:05:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
It was with the intro of the CS1/MS1 that we could no longer have a common ground (at least that's what everyone told me at the time).

That was only in reference to the transformer powering the CS/MS. That transformer needed to stay isolated, and supply power only to the CS/MS (remember that the transformer powering the 6021 could be tied to a common ground).

But that did not preclude the brown output from the CS/MS from being connected to the brown output from other transformers supplying current for accessories, and suchlike.
Offline mvd71  
#25 Posted : 02 April 2011 08:38:38(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   

That was only in reference to the transformer powering the CS/MS. That transformer needed to stay isolated, and supply power only to the CS/MS (remember that the transformer powering the 6021 could be tied to a common ground).

But that did not preclude the brown output from the CS/MS from being connected to the brown output from other transformers supplying current for accessories, and suchlike.

Yup, that's the thingy. ESU's faultFlapper

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 02 April 2011 09:51:36(UTC)
H0

Yup, that's the thingy. ESU's faultFlapper

It's not a bug, it's a feature. This is the only way to run digital using DC (and stabilized power supplies have their advantages).

Märklin's fault, too. They copied this faulty design when they developed the CS2 - and made it even worse when they developed the 60173.

So if you think that true common ground is best, go and buy the Intellibox ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nelson77  
#27 Posted : 02 April 2011 21:13:13(UTC)
nelson77

Hello All,
Just talked to my Marklin dealer concerning the recall on the 60213 booster. He informed me that he was aware of this but has not been informed from Marklin officially. I think I will mail back my boosters back directly to Marklin repair instead of waiting for the dealer to accumulate several units and do a bulk return. Has anyone shipped there boosters direct to Marklin?
Thanks
Nelson77
Westminster, Md
Offline Nielsenr  
#28 Posted : 03 April 2011 01:52:08(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I got an email today from my dealer here in South Florida and it included two PDFs from Marklin about the program. It looks like the email originated from Walthers.

Robert
Offline nelson77  
#29 Posted : 03 April 2011 22:03:48(UTC)
nelson77

Hello Robert,

Does the PDF say to turn it back to the dealer or ship it to Walthers? My problem is I bought my 60214 booster in Germany and my CS2 from Micro Macro Mundo in South Florida.
Any info would be helpful. I reinstalled my 60217 today in order to continue the work on my layout.
Thanks
Nelson77
Westminster, Md
Offline Nielsenr  
#30 Posted : 04 April 2011 05:41:02(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
The PDF was from Marklin Germany to US dealers. My dealer received it from Walthers. I have cut and pasted what I believe to be the answer to your question:

"When your customer comes to you with one or more 60173 Boosters, please handle it as a
warranty claim and sent these units to Märklin, Inc. at the address given below:
Märklin, Inc.
Booster Exchange Program
402 Travis Lane #64
Waukesha, WI 53189
W e will send you the exchange units."

I guess you could just send your unit(s) to Marklin, Inc directly at the address listed and see if they will replace it. And it sounds like they have a stock of them for hopefully a quick turn around.

The email from Walthers also has some information on the 60215 CS2. Here is an excerpt:

"Märklin Export Department Announcement: 60215 Central Station Delivery Update
Märklin GmbH is committed to delivering our electronic products to the United States marketplace with the necessary Federal Communications Commission (FCC) minimum compliance approval.

The new 60215 Central Station is going through the process of FCC testing, and approval is imminent. Once FCC approval is obtained, the Central Station will be cleared for export to Walthers, the exclusive North American distributor for Märklin, Trix and LGB products. Anticipated delivery of the Central Station to Walthers is the 3rd quarter 2011.

Initial delivery of the 60215 Central Station in the EU started in March 2011. U.S. consumers should be aware that any 60215 Central Station purchased and delivered prior to FCC approval being granted has been exported to the U.S. without the authorization of Märklin GmBH.

If you have any questions, please contact Märklin, Inc. at 800-321-8811."

Hope this is helpful information for those of here in the good, old USA.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline nelson77  
#31 Posted : 04 April 2011 16:56:58(UTC)
nelson77

Hello Robert,
Thanks for all the information. I just called Walthers and spoke to Dennis. Dennis is in the parts department and also handles warranty claims. I asked about the 60173 booster. He was not aware of any recalls from Marklin regarding this booster. I also asked if he had any in stock. He informed me that there are not discontinued but he does not have any in stock. I wonder how long the replacement will be. He is to inform me as soon as he knows something. I will update the form when I hear any news regarding this.
Thanks
Nelson77
Westminster, Md
Offline nelson77  
#32 Posted : 04 April 2011 17:23:22(UTC)
nelson77

Follow up,
Thanks for the Marklin telephone number. I was not aware that Marklin even had an office in the US. I called there and spoke to Michelle. She informed me to mail the booster back to Marklin in Wisconsin. Although she said they do not have any replacements ib stock and not sure when the new units will arrive.
Thinks Again
Nelson SLinkman
Westminster, Md
Offline Nielsenr  
#33 Posted : 04 April 2011 19:45:30(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Sounds funny that they would do a replacement program and not have any to quickly replace. I have three of them and would like to send them back at the same time. I guess I may need to take down my floor layout for a while ... :0(

Robert
Offline kbvrod  
#34 Posted : 04 April 2011 20:57:58(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Yes,M is back in bed with Walthers,let's hope it works out better than last time,...Glare

Dr D
Offline charles Sharpe  
#35 Posted : 11 April 2011 20:04:14(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello.

I am sorry to be thick but can someone explain in simple terms what this is all about. I have a early CS2 and the new switched power supply 60v running the mid level and a booster running the lower level. I am using c track. I have 2 spare boosters which I can send back and then send the one I am using back when the others arrived . Do we know how long before we get the replacements .

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#36 Posted : 11 April 2011 22:58:10(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Charles,

As I understand it the 60173 booster requires that both the inner rail and the outer rails are isolated between booster sections. Marklin is admitting they made a mistake and the 60174 booster only requires the inner rail be isolated between booster sections. They are offering replacements for the 60173 booster to 60174 booster. I do not know how long it will take to get the new booster back, I have not talked to Marklin USA yet. One of the posts above said that Marklin USA did not have spares to send out yet (at least at the time of the post). I myself have three of the 60173 boosters and want to do the exchange. Soon I will have to call Marklin USA and get a time frame for the replacements and whether I send all three at once or send one or two at a time. Hope this helps.

Robert
Offline charles Sharpe  
#37 Posted : 11 April 2011 23:05:13(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Robert.

What difference is it going to make to our layouts. It would be a major upheaval as the section were the CS section and the booster section join is all finished.
Many thanks

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#38 Posted : 12 April 2011 00:08:43(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Charles,

According to the info from Marklin, there are times when a lack of common ground has caused some hobbyists trouble. Here is an excerpt from the PDF I received from Marklin, via Walthers and my dealer:

"Our technicians made a departure from this guiding principle with the introduction of the
60213 Central Station. Starting with this point in time the requirement was made that ground
connections for the Central Station and the 60173 Booster should not be connected with
each other continuously. The hot as well as the ground connections at the transition between
different power consumption areas therefore had to be separated.

This requirement led to irritation among many model railroaders. Many circuits that were
based on the system of a common ground were now only usable under certain limitations.
For a non-technician or a lay person the hurdles resulting from this were in many cases
impenetrable. A factor that admittedly we evaluated incorrectly during the introduction of the
new technology."

I would think if your layout is running ok, you probably don't need to exchange the boosters. On the other hand, using the new 60174 booster shouldn't be a problem either. I would say exchange them and if in the future you ever have a need for a common ground you will have the boosters to deal with it.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline steventrain  
#39 Posted : 12 April 2011 14:22:56(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Information about booster exchange sheet in the 2/2011 club package.

Do the 60174 connect to the old version 60213 CS2?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline rbw993  
#40 Posted : 12 April 2011 21:26:37(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Just sent mine in today (to Marklin USA). I'll let you know how it goes.

Roger
Offline charles Sharpe  
#41 Posted : 13 April 2011 15:26:39(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
Charles,

According to the info from Marklin, there are times when a lack of common ground has caused some hobbyists trouble. Here is an excerpt from the PDF I received from Marklin, via Walthers and my dealer:

"Our technicians made a departure from this guiding principle with the introduction of the
60213 Central Station. Starting with this point in time the requirement was made that ground
connections for the Central Station and the 60173 Booster should not be connected with
each other continuously. The hot as well as the ground connections at the transition between
different power consumption areas therefore had to be separated.

This requirement led to irritation among many model railroaders. Many circuits that were
based on the system of a common ground were now only usable under certain limitations.
For a non-technician or a lay person the hurdles resulting from this were in many cases
impenetrable. A factor that admittedly we evaluated incorrectly during the introduction of the
new technology."

I would think if your layout is running ok, you probably don't need to exchange the boosters. On the other hand, using the new 60174 booster shouldn't be a problem either. I would say exchange them and if in the future you ever have a need for a common ground you will have the boosters to deal with it.

Robert

Many thanks I will send them in for a exchange unit.

Charles
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#42 Posted : 13 April 2011 15:37:23(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Just a thought will then new boosters work with theCS. 60212.

Charles.

Edited by user 14 April 2011 14:05:57(UTC)  | Reason: Left out some numbers.

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline NZMarklinist  
#43 Posted : 14 April 2011 05:30:50(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Recvieved a leaflet about the Booster exchange with my Insider 2/2011 mailing yesterday. Simply it says return your 60173 to your dealer or Marklin and you will reeive a 60174.ThumpUp That said it refers to 60214/5 CS2s only Confused
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline jeehring  
#44 Posted : 14 April 2011 11:58:47(UTC)
jeehring

something I never understood is what's happenning electrically inside a lok when the wheels slowly roll over a junction between two isolated consumption areas as some wheels are on 1 electrical circuit while simultaneously other wheels are on the other circuit .. Confused ..Also inside the system : when 1 wheel is making a junction between the 2 areas, there is some kind of contradiction somewhere.....Confused
Also : what's happenning when the slider is on 2 isolated circuits....Confused
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#45 Posted : 14 April 2011 12:47:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Also : what's happenning when the slider is on 2 isolated circuits....Confused

Exactly what you are thinking! The slider will act as a momentary bridge between both sections, which is something you do not want to happen. That is why Marklin have the rocker isolators, which is a plastic device that sits over the transition point. When a loco/car with a slider comes along, the front end of the slider is lifted so that only the rear is on the centre rail. As the loco moves forward, the slider front will come down and make contact with the other powered section, by which time the isolator will have lifted off the rear of the slider so that it is no longer making contact.

There were some previous instances where the rockers were not needed, and it was ok to have sliders momentarily bridging both powered sections, but I don't know if this applies to 60174/60214/15. Are the rockers available as a separate catalog item?
Offline kbvrod  
#46 Posted : 14 April 2011 13:46:45(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

Quote:

Exactly what you are thinking! The slider will act as a momentary bridge between both sections, which is something you do not want to happen. That is why Marklin have the rocker isolators, which is a plastic device that sits over the transition point. When a loco/car with a slider comes along, the front end of the slider is lifted so that only the rear is on the centre rail. As the loco moves forward, the slider front will come down and make contact with the other powered section, by which time the isolator will have lifted off the rear of the slider so that it is no longer making contact.
There were some previous instances where the rockers were not needed, and it was ok to have sliders momentarily bridging both powered sections, but I don't know if this applies to 60174/60214/15. Are the rockers available as a separate catalog item?

First,my old layout,I had IB+6021+3X 6017.I isolated the 3rd rail(K-track)only, I also planned the sections so that any transition points the train was running at speed through them.Originally the so-called 'rocker' isolators were included with the 6021 CU and were to bridge the slider between digital and analogue section.
The one instance I did use the rocker AND isolated the rails, were on my ETE modules.The mainline was controlled by an IB,I used my 6021 to control my modules Bw yard.Having two CU together on a layout is not good!So I used the rocker and as an extra safety precaution isolated the rails also.
Some smaller loks better going at a good clip to get over the rocker and not stall!

Dr D
Offline jeehring  
#47 Posted : 14 April 2011 13:51:53(UTC)
jeehring

...I got some of these insulation rockers ....They were inside my first Swiss mega starting set with 6021.....it is a kind of brown color flexible ribbon on which you could cut about 6 pieces....It works well (not bad), avoiding flickering of the front lights, even at slow speed...( at very slow speed : I don't know)
But I'm looking for the reference number as well....
May be I'll try to make them myself with Tamiya Putty....
Offline kbvrod  
#48 Posted : 14 April 2011 14:17:48(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

...I got some of these insulation rockers ....They were inside my first Swiss mega starting set with 6021.....it is a kind of brown color flexible ribbon on which you could cut about 6 pieces....It works well (not bad), avoiding flickering of the front lights, even at slow speed...( at very slow speed : I don't know)

May I ask why you are using/need them???

Dr D

Offline H0  
#49 Posted : 14 April 2011 19:59:01(UTC)
H0

They are not needed between 6021 and 6017.
They are needed between CS1 or CS2 and 6017.
They are not needed between CS2 and 60174.
They write that in their FAQ list (and it's German only):
http://www.maerklin.de/f...&Search=true#Post224

For information about centre rail rockers (including spare part numbers), copy this URL to the address field of your browser:
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/6021_tech.pdf
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#50 Posted : 14 April 2011 20:35:39(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

May I ask why you are using/need them???

Dr D

I did it only for tests to see if there were some break of power & in such a case how did the decoders react...
....I have been also using them between a part of layout feeded by 6021 and another piece of track feeded by MS1 .....just as a precaution because I thought it was necessary....and to see what was happenning....