Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Macfire  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2007 06:08:35(UTC)
Macfire

Here is a comparrison between the two sets.
Either would look good behind the BR 05.
I will be running the 42281 with the BR 05 and the 43290 behind a Steel-blue BR 03.
Main Points are:
<u>42281 </u>
Metal Bodies
4 cars in the set
Tinted windows

<u>43290</u>
Plastic Bodies
3 cars in the set
Interior lighting installed

UserPostedImage
Speisewagens -01
42281 Upper
43290 Lower

UserPostedImage
Speisewagens -02
43290 Upper
42281 Lower

UserPostedImage
2nd Class -01
43290 AB4ue-36/52 Upper
42281 B4u(e)-28/52 Lower

UserPostedImage
2nd Class -02
42281 B4u(e)-28/52 Upper
43290 AB4ue-36/52 Lower

UserPostedImage
Coupled distance

UserPostedImage
Coupled distance

Full size images are available on my web site.
Regards
Tony
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Macfire
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2007 11:29:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tony,
That's a lot of trouble you went to. Much appreciated.
Well, the 42281 sure is a lovely set. A pity it cannot use the close couplers.
However, I guess the 43290 coming with lighting is a big plus.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2007 22:23:27(UTC)
H0

The Glückauf-Set can use the short couplers from the Rheingold set if you want real close couplers.
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8153

Here's a picture:
The two cars in front have the power conducting coupler 272140 (there's no power to conduct yet ...), the two at the back have the normal coupler:
UserPostedImage
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Macfire  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2007 03:55:41(UTC)
Macfire

Cheers Tom
I will have to get me some of those,
Regards
Tony
Lord Macca
Offline Macfire  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2007 07:42:33(UTC)
Macfire

Re: the Merkur,
Does anyone know if the Trix 23420 cars have the same running numbers as the Marklin ones?
Lord Macca
Offline Jim Thompson  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2007 15:32:43(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Tony,

Please forgive my simple question, as I like both sets [^] :

Are the cars actually different lengths (and different reds for Speisewagen), or is that just a parallax thing from the camera angle/lighting?

Certainly not anything that would keep me from adding either of these sets to my stable, [:p] just curious (and I came awfully close to an infinite loop of "Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat" - it may be way too early for me today biggrin )

Thanks much in advance,

Jim
Offline Macfire  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2007 00:00:07(UTC)
Macfire

Hi Jim

No you are not wearing your Yellow Hat today...And you are right.

There is a difference in lenght, the Glukauf being longer. I only noticed that when I was taking the pics. That was one of the reasons to take alternative pictures, the other to show the differences in colour.

As you say, both sets are very, very nice and I hope that M will produce an add-on set for the Merkur in the near future.

As a matter of interest, I have ordered a Trix 23337 Pw4U Baggage Car to go with my 43237/4328 Rheingold sets as well.
Lord Macca
Offline Jim Thompson  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2007 00:18:42(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Macfire,

Thanks!

You know, I can't seem to find the emot-icon for breaking the 10th Commandment: "Thou shalt not covet...." wink Oh well, too late now; I'll stop off at Confession later !biggrin Sounds like you will have a sweet train running. [:p]

Jim
Offline Macfire  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2007 01:33:57(UTC)
Macfire

Ha Jim

Covet (or thoughts thereof) to your hearts content [}:)]

And just to rub salt into the wound, mine came to Godzone from Canada [:p][:p]

You were so close - but Glukauf is now - Oh So Far Away...

Hmm, when I get home tonight, I'll give them a run just for you biggrinbiggrin

Regards
Tony the Macfire
"There IS only One - for I am he"
Lord Macca
Offline Jim Thompson  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2007 03:26:09(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Tony,

You are a saint - I will be riding in spirit - dining in the finest tradition - let 'em run an extra time around Smile

Ahhh...St. Anthony of Macfire .. Oh boy I'm in trouble now...wink

Jim
Offline Macfire  
#11 Posted : 20 October 2007 04:23:11(UTC)
Macfire

Hey Jim wink

TOOT TOOT biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I also had a wee spirit, just for you, as well....[}:)]
Lord Macca
Offline Jim Thompson  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2007 22:10:06(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Macfire, Cool

A wee spirit biggrin [:p]

Jim
Offline Hemmerich  
#13 Posted : 21 October 2007 00:12:44(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Macfire
<br />Re: the Merkur,
Does anyone know if the Trix 23420 cars have the same running numbers as the Marklin ones?

According to the information I have/got yes; see also description in the Märklin 2007 news catalog.
Offline Jim Thompson  
#14 Posted : 21 October 2007 04:06:42(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Lutz, et. al.,

Correct me if I am wrong here (Please!).

Matrix made both M* and T* Merkur sets with the same running numbers.

So:

+) They save manufacturing costs by using same bodies on both sets, right (same bodies, paint, lettering)?

-) They lose sales to those of us who would have bought both sets to have longer trains with all different coach numbers (3 M* set + 3 T* set = 6 cars).confused

I am so confused. If that is right, how does that make any sense? Or is this just Standard Operating Procedure in these times? Help me out - are the lettering costs that much higher? Maybe I need a drink [:p] ! (Or maybe some of what they are smokin' in Goppingen?)

Thanks, as ever,

Jim
Offline Hemmerich  
#15 Posted : 21 October 2007 04:21:18(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Jim Thompson
Matrix made both M* and T* Merkur sets with the same running numbers.

Well, to be precise: Fleischmann delivered both sets using the same road numbers for both. wink
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:

So:

+) They save manufacturing costs by using same bodies on both sets, right (same bodies, paint, lettering)?

-) They lose sales to those of us who would have bought both sets to have longer trains with all different coach numbers (3 M* set + 3 T* set = 6 cars).confused

If it would be that easy, then you'd be correct with your "-". But unfortunately life isn't always easy - i.e. GFN AC vs. DC products differ substantial more than genuine Märklin vs. TRIX, especially when it comes to interior lights (I can explain this in more detail separately).

You'd also get an unneccessary excess dining car. I'm very confident that Märklin/TRIX will offer a second set with just two cars; one of them likely with red rear lights.
Offline Jim Thompson  
#16 Posted : 21 October 2007 05:10:45(UTC)
Jim Thompson

[:I]

I sometimes am blinded by the darkness (unlit cars- get it? biggrin). Being a dyed-in-the-wool 3-railer, where my unlit cars can be either 2- or 3-rail origin wink with no current-conducting couplers, (gasp! I know!) I forget that the opposite is most assuredly not true. Thank you. And I apologize, as I missed somehow/where/when that F* made the sets Cool Thank you again for shedding light on my dark little world wink, I truly do appreciate it, 'cause I know I am not the brightest bulb in the pack! [:o)] OK, I am done with the analogies (for now)!

Cool

Jim

P. S. These are still really, really nice sets!!!!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 21 October 2007 12:35:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tony,
Do the 42281 set negotiate the smallest Marklin radius?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Macfire  
#18 Posted : 21 October 2007 13:07:26(UTC)
Macfire

Hi Kimball.
I took them to the Auckland Marklin Club K Track set-up and the Speisewagen would derail just before a station entry point. This is the outer curve as well - but it is also on a joint section between modules.
They travel on my C Track OK - but come to think of it I have only used them on the outer R2 track.

Regards
Tony
I'll have a go at the R1 track and keep you advised.
Lord Macca
Offline Hemmerich  
#19 Posted : 21 October 2007 19:45:56(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Jim Thompson
Being a dyed-in-the-wool 3-railer,

Hi Jim,

never mind - IMHO that's fully ok! biggrin

The following pics might help to understand the difference between the Fleischmann/TRIX two-rail and Märklin center-rail version(s).

I have this Merkur set and as well the cars #5840 and #5843 from the former Gambrinus set.

UserPostedImage

From a distant view there seems to be no difference - but let's have a closer look (the small part in the front is somehow important too wink) - starting with the bottom side.

UserPostedImage

The car from the Merkur set has interior lights, the car from the Gambrinus set not (yet). What you see now is two wheel contacts (both at the same side) and the slider. The following two pics show them close up. The slider has Märklin part #115997 or Fleischmann part #1459.

UserPostedImage

The wheel contact has Fleischmann part #614961. For AC version cars there may be only installed two of them, as said before both on the same side (usually at the isolated wheel side). This corresponds to "ground" (i.e. brown) connection to the interior light (or decoder).

The other supply line comes by the slider.

UserPostedImage
Both these wheel contacts and the slider connect to two metal strips inside the car bottom which also act as weight. Final connection between these strips and the interior light is accomplished by (usually 4) U-shaped contact springs (Fleischmann part #688803). The current coupling contacts are directly wired to the interior light pcb.

This is for the AC version of the Merkur set. The DC version has each four such wheel contacts and (obvious) no slider and thus also doesn't need current conducting couplings. So, changing the light wiring of the DC version would be required in order to have it work in AC.

A few more comments to the cars. As mentioned already, the current conducting coupling extends the gap (by about 3mm).

UserPostedImage

whereas the distance with the regular Märklin short coupling is basically perfect. But you see also a small drawback - the Gambrinus car (Ffm 11606) carries the same waggon number as the car with slider from the Merkur set and it (again obvious) has a different train route plate (München - Kiel vs. Hamburg Altona - Frankfurt). But this is really only for the very excessive "Nietenzähler" (bolt counters)! biggrin

UserPostedImage

I also replaced the short end bellows at one side of the baggage car and at the last car of the Merkur set with the long ones in order to add the two additional cars to my train; they have Fleischmann part #125110.

UserPostedImage

The rear view of the Märklin and Fleischmann cars also unfolds another difference - the buffers. At the Merkur set they are kind of rectangular whereas at the original Fleischmann cars they are round - and too big for the Märklin short coupling; thus cause derailing. I simply eliminated this by cutting the lower part away (I still might reshape the complete buffer such that it looks like those from the Merkur set - unfortunately they are part of the car bottom; maybe cutting them completely away and mount spring buffers instead is the best). Smile

UserPostedImage

I'll probably as well move the slider to either the dining or baggage car and switch the train interior and rear lights (maybe also the table lights [:p]) by a function decoder.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:P. S. These are still really, really nice sets!!!!

YES - Undoubted!!! winkwink

PS: I also did some (minor) changes to the decoder configuration of my BR05 which makes even more fun driving the train with that great loco![:p]
Offline Jim Thompson  
#20 Posted : 22 October 2007 00:52:11(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Lutz,

And this is why I come to this forum all the time biggrin Thank you for walking me through the differences - As the sun begins to dawn, the sky lightens to a brilliant..... OK.... I will say thank you, and believe me I will have no fear to ask more (many more biggrin ) questions. Y'all are some right nice folks! With Macfire's and Lutz';s pictures I almost feel like I have the sets - hey maybe I will print a few of them and hang them near my plywoodbahn...[:p]

Peace and Long Life,

Jim
Offline kimballthurlow  
#21 Posted : 22 October 2007 00:54:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Lutz,
Thanks, I think you just convinced me to stay with Marklin 3 rail coaches (one for the lighting reason), and to forget all about the temptations of buying the others.
And there are other reasons too. I just bought a Brawa coach, and the coupling incompatibility is a lot of trouble to solve. I just want to run the trains.

Of course I understand, that for some Marklinists, the hobby is for tinkering, and making solutions. That's OK too.

regards
Kimball
Offline Macfire  
#22 Posted : 23 October 2007 01:57:22(UTC)
Macfire

Kimball:
Ran the 42881 (behind my 29830 BR 03) all around the layout. Negotiated all the R1, R2, Curved turnouts and my rather tight station siding with no trouble at all. Also ran it down the K-Track siding to the crane as well. No problems in either direction.
This is more than I can say for my Era I Open Platform Coaches that failed the station and crane sidings when I ran the same test with them.
I'll place some better pics of the station siding in my layout once I get my camera back - it is currently "on holiday" in Norfolk Island..

Lutz,
Thanks very much for the info and pics. Very informative.

Jim,
You are oh so right. A big thanks to all contributors, you guys (and girls) have so much to share. Marklins best (unpaid) sales-people. I appreciate everyones honesty, if they have a problem or an appreciation they say so. I am sure that M.HQ would keep an eye on these forums and hopefully look at the issues.
Also not forgetting Juhan and Martin for the forum in the first place. Thank YOU very much.

Regards
Tony
Lord Macca
Offline Macfire  
#23 Posted : 06 November 2007 10:40:28(UTC)
Macfire

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRG_Class_05

"Mostly the 05 hauled the FD (long distance express) trains "Hanseat" and "Domspatz" on the run Hamburg - Cologne - Frankfurt. The regular top speed of the trains was 140 km/h. On this 703 km run the 05 operated trains did the longest run with steam traction in the DB network. July 1958 the 05 were replaced by the diesel-hydraulic DB class V 200".

I wonder if M is planning on producing these ???
Lord Macca
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 06 November 2007 12:44:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the running description on 42881, and also the link to Wikipedia.
regards
Kimball
Offline Macfire  
#25 Posted : 07 November 2007 23:34:55(UTC)
Macfire

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />Hi Tony,
Do the 42281 set negotiate the smallest Marklin radius?

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball

Here are a some pics taken on the Training Track.

UserPostedImage
No Problems with the reverse S.

UserPostedImage
Station area siding turnouts. As tight as you can get.

UserPostedImage
No problem at all.

UserPostedImage
The Era I Open Platform in the background suffered from buffer lock while entering the same siding.

Regards
Tony.
Lord Macca
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Macfire
Offline steventrain  
#26 Posted : 08 November 2007 10:38:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice Tony.

Is any problem with 43290 on reverse S?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Macfire  
#27 Posted : 08 November 2007 11:12:03(UTC)
Macfire

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Very nice Tony.

Hi Sreven
I'll do that tomorrow and let you know.
Regards
Tony
Lord Macca
Offline steventrain  
#28 Posted : 08 November 2007 11:40:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
OK Thanks, No rush Tony.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Jim Thompson  
#29 Posted : 09 November 2007 00:51:31(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Tony,

Beautiful [:p] I do not want to raise the spectre of "small radii vs. large radii" and all that, but I realized in those pictures that the beauty of the train overshadows any (overhang, swing-out, whatever - I am whispering now Smile ) and I found that I was just transported to the moment. Thanks!

Jim (out-of-body experience)
Offline kimballthurlow  
#30 Posted : 09 November 2007 06:26:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Tony, for the information and photos on running the 42281 set on the different track arrangements.
It also proves how well Marklin go through their design procedures, to ensure that everyone (from kids starter sets to models for more mature consumers) gets a fair go at trouble-free running.
This is something that continues to impress me about M*.

By the way, Nathan's Trains in Brisbane has a brand-new set of 42281 on his shelf, and while I am sorely tempted, I have too much else on back-order to justify this purchase. (My apologies to Juhan for this blatant plug for a retailer, but I do it only in the general interest of the M-user net).

regards
Kimball
Offline Macfire  
#31 Posted : 09 November 2007 10:03:56(UTC)
Macfire

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />By the way, Nathan's Trains in Brisbane has a brand-new set of 42281 on his shelf, and while I am sorely tempted, I have too much else on back-order to justify this purchase.

[size=4]Make like Nike
Life's short!
Just do it............
[:p][:p][:p]
Lord Macca
Offline kimballthurlow  
#32 Posted : 10 November 2007 11:18:31(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yeah - like run out of moneybiggrin[:0]
You have not seen my back orders.

regards
Kimball
Offline Macfire  
#33 Posted : 10 November 2007 22:56:24(UTC)
Macfire

Wait to you see mine:
Trix 23337, 34313
Hmm next year is consolidation of funds as well........
Lord Macca
Offline Jim Thompson  
#34 Posted : 27 December 2007 01:40:51(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Greetings! Happy 'Good King Wenceslas' Day! Smile

I was not sure whether I should post this here as it is prototype arrangements/destinations for "Glückauf", nor whether you were all even interested, but I thought: "What the hey?" biggrin

Found it on drehscheibe:

http://drehscheibe-onlin...forum/read.php?2,3598757

Go down to the fourth entry and there is a "Zugbildungsplan von 1965" which is neat for our info files, even if we can not duplicate the full reality of "Glückauf", we might use it for something. For some reason, I like this kind of stuff. Smile

Hope your holidays were safe and filled with joy!

Jim (tipping a little to the far side Cool )
Offline steventrain  
#35 Posted : 27 December 2007 12:19:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Macfire
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Very nice Tony.

Hi Sreven
I'll do that tomorrow and let you know.
Regards
Tony

Still waiting for your report.wink
Offline Macfire  
#36 Posted : 27 December 2007 13:19:06(UTC)
Macfire

Sorry Steven,
Did the test but hadn't taken pics so I left my reply.

The 43290 reversed into both areas without a problem. Even had the BR 05 as the loco the other day and it handled it as well.

I'll take some pics when I can, maybe tomorrow [possibly but I am being invaded by family & friends as it is my birthday and the following day I am back on shift-work.

I'll keep you posted - promise.
Reards
Tony
Lord Macca
Offline foumaro  
#37 Posted : 27 December 2007 21:35:25(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Both sets are excellent.No problem with high speed to any curve or
S to my layout.I think that 42281 wins because metall is always special.So 42281 going with 39050 and 43290 going with 37050.biggrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Webmaster  
#38 Posted : 27 December 2007 22:57:00(UTC)
Webmaster

As an amateur, I think all the coaches shown look very very nice indeed...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Macfire  
#39 Posted : 29 December 2007 02:38:32(UTC)
Macfire

Some amateur Juhan.
I think you write yourself down a wee bit - IMHO.

Panayotis,
Like you the 42281 will run behind my 39050.
The 43290 behind my 39010
And the 43237/43238 Rheingold sets (with Trix 23337 Pw4U Baggage Car) behind my 3390 BR 01.10 once it has been converted to mfx
Lord Macca
Offline foumaro  
#40 Posted : 29 December 2007 05:14:55(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
So i have to catch the 39010 or 39015 to keep company to "Riviera
Express".I cannot understand why i do not buy this nice steamer.biggrin